• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: hololive Virtual YouTubers Akai Haato, Kiryu Coco Suspended For 3 Weeks Due to 'Inappropri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VerQuality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Honestly getting really tired of Cover's first instinct in literally any bad situation is to immediately throw their talent under the bus. Mio, Aloe, now Coco and Haato (seriously, Coco! World's most superchatted youtuber!). Rather than inventing some new misdemeanor and suspending a vtuber or two, maybe the company could take some responsibility.

(I really feel bad for any of the sane Chinese fans out there. Billibilli has already cut off most (all?) hololive vtubers, youtube is banned in China, and this fiasco coupled with the huge success of hololive EN hopefully has Cover drastically reconsidering their expansion markets.)
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Anyway, I still find it absolutely bizarre that the CCP is so determined to hold onto Taiwan. Like... we don't share government infrastructure, currency, or even the same writing system nowadays... Even our electronic standards are different! How they think we'll eventually "come back into the fold" is anyone's guess... It's kind of like if England still kept claiming the United States belonged to them decades after the American Revolution... Who does that.

The thing about empires is that they tend to be really really resistant to the idea of letting go of any of their parts. To a certain extent this makes sense; you're going to have a much smaller empire (or no empire at all) if you keep letting colonies/member states/whatever say "we're out, see ya". But you do wind up with situations where empires expend far more effort than it's actually worth to keep a particular territory.

All the things you mention, government infrastructure, currency, writing system, etc... they're not necessarily an impediment to being part of the same nation; throughout the world you can find examples of countries where these things aren't uniform. And in any case none of them are set in stone, you can find plenty of examples of countries where those things have been changed, though language and government type tend to be... controversial changes to impose, to say the least.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
Honestly getting really tired of Cover's first instinct in literally any bad situation is to immediately throw their talent under the bus. Mio, Aloe, now Coco and Haato (seriously, Coco! World's most superchatted youtuber!). Rather than inventing some new misdemeanor and suspending a vtuber or two, maybe the company could take some responsibility.

IIRC Coco is also the only one of her generation to not have streamed on billibilli yet, which can also seen as a bit of an insult to the Chinese fanbase and may have been a source of bad blood beforehand.

I just wonder what's gonna happen when they come back. No doubt the chat, especially the English speaker are going to be spamming anti-China messages in "protest" like they did on Twitch with the Blizzard thing, and that could probably get them into trouble again if there's so much anti-CCP stuff in their streams that they just decide to shut it all down.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
China is like Russia(who illegally annexed Crimea) -- both of them are bad. CCP = Kremlin.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:52 am Reply with quote
Article said: "According to the statement, "It was determined that both had divulged confidential YouTube channel analytics information on their respective live streams, used said data for their own purposes, and made statements that were insensitive to residents of certain regions."

Yeah, but it would be nice if there was a bit more specificity as to what those insensitive statements entailed.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:21 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
(...)The talent of their Chinese branch (and likely their support staff) would lose their livelihoods, the many of the rest would lose a significant chunk of their income, and fans in China would no longer be able to follow their favorite members, at least as readily. All of that for what? Defiantly making a political statement that many in the affected area don’t even want or necessarily even agree with, and which will do nothing to change the status quo, which most countries tacitly agree to? It would be one thing if it were a big corporation just forgoing some profits, but we’re talking about actual people losing their livelihoods. I don’t know that I would say that I like the decision per se, but it seems like the one that best protects their employees, and I’d prefer that over some quixotic defiance.(...)

OR they could issue an apology for "hurting sensibilities" without getting too deep into the matter and leave it at that.
It's not like their only options was to either become a force of defiance against China or throw their talents under the bus. But they made a choice, and it was an awful one.

They probably think that the suspension will calm down the nationalists. It won't.

VerQuality wrote:

(I really feel bad for any of the sane Chinese fans out there. Billibilli has already cut off most (all?) hololive vtubers, youtube is banned in China, and this fiasco coupled with the huge success of hololive EN hopefully has Cover drastically reconsidering their expansion markets.)

Actually, has management ever acknowledged any wrongdoing as their own?
I'm sorry for HoloEN, they had good momentum going but this boneheaded scapegoating decision will hurt them a lot by association.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

OR they could issue an apology for "hurting sensibilities" without getting too deep into the matter and leave it at that.
It's not like their only options was to either become a force of defiance against China or throw their talents under the bus. But they made a choice, and it was an awful one.

They probably think that the suspension will calm down the nationalists. It won't.

I don’t know, that seems like it would be dismissed as a non-apology apology. I don’t know if this decision will be enough to sate Chinese nationalists, but a non-apology apology almost certainly wouldn’t.

If what they did doesn’t work, then I will agree it wasn’t the right move. But if they aren’t shut out of China and their talent in the Chinese market can keep their jobs, briefly suspending two of their employees so 6 others (plus their support staff) can keep their jobs would seem to protect their employees more.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don’t know, that seems like it would be dismissed as a non-apology apology. I don’t know if this decision will be enough to sate Chinese nationalists, but a non-apology apology almost certainly wouldn’t.

If what they did doesn’t work, then I will agree it wasn’t the right move. But if they aren’t shut out of China and their talent in the Chinese market can keep their jobs, briefly suspending two of their employees so 6 others (plus their support staff) can keep their jobs would seem to protect their employees more.

Not a month ago they suspended Aloe for two weeks to see if that would calm down her haters. It didn't, and they didn't have something as intense as imperialist nationalism as a motivation.
The "non-apology apology" wouldn't calm the haters, that's for sure, but it would be enough to "keep face", not punish your innocent talents, not alienate your western (and Taiwanese) fanbase and probably also enough to be allowed to keep operating in China.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am Reply with quote
^I guess what I don’t quite get about your scenario is why in the current situation, the Chinese nationalists are implacable and won’t stop until they take their heads, but if the company issued a non-apology apology, suddenly they’re a non factor. Ultimately, time will tell what will happen, and I think I’m done trying to speculate about what will happen in this situation.

Personally, while the incident does color my opinion of the company, I’m not about to spurn their talents that I follow over this.
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:31 am Reply with quote
So far the only thing Cover has done is cover their own asses. The whole ban on sharing analytics wasn't implemented until after both girls broadcasted. Plenty of other girls have shared their viewership analytics in the past. Coco's segment was pre-scripted and most likely had the blessing of her manager. Sadly, it isn't going to change any time soon thanks to Japanese idol culture. Cover is going to have to give up China or give up the west. It is clear entertainment shared by both is an impossibility.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I guess what I don’t quite get about your scenario is why in the current situation, the Chinese nationalists are implacable and won’t stop until they take their heads, but if the company issued a non-apology apology, suddenly they’re a non factor. Ultimately, time will tell what will happen, and I think I’m done trying to speculate about what will happen in this situation.

Personally, while the incident does color my opinion of the company, I’m not about to spurn their talents that I follow over this.

Becuase those nationalists, which ar elittle more than self-righteous internet trolls won't be relieved one way or another (although they might feel vindicated and justified with the current choice).
They will NOT stop the harrassment no matter what (and we have antecedent for that), therefore they're a non-factor as no matter what they do their situation, the actual problem, will remain unchanged.
So then remains the factors that can change depending on the situation: the situation and dignity of the talent they manage (both the affected, the CN branch and the unaffected), the rest of the fanbase, the company's image, their relationship with government representatives... and IMO what they've chosen to do brings them more harm than good.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Taiwan is independent from China whether the CCP and Beijing like it or not. Companies need to stop kowtowing to Xinnie the Pooh. And it's not like China is the only massive market around. India exists, too.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:

I just wonder what's gonna happen when they come back. No doubt the chat, especially the English speaker are going to be spamming anti-China messages in "protest" like they did on Twitch with the Blizzard thing, and that could probably get them into trouble again if there's so much anti-CCP stuff in their streams that they just decide to shut it all down.

Honestly, I doubt it. Even less than 24h after this happened, most people were more focused on denouncing a certain fansubbing and highlights re-uploading group that privated their whole channel and denounced Cover for being too soft on Coco and accusing her of a litany of things including "hurting Bilibili fans' feelings". Cover itself got pretty little flack after the initial shock, all things considered, and I've seen plenty of people expressing empathy towards Yagoo for "being caught between a rock and a hard place". By now there's little to now criticism of Cover or Yagoo going on.

The thing about Hololive is that it's not clear yet if it's something that'll be going strong a decade from now or if it's a fad, so for people into this type of content, there's always an inherent fear of rocking the boat too hard, so uproar over poor management never really gets past people "saying their peace" and moving on to supporting their favorite talent. When they come back, you may see some people trying to stir that kind of sentiment but the momentum won't be there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
China needs to fk off, for real
VerQuality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
https://cover-corp.com/2020/09/30/093002/

Welp, despite my earlier comments, Cover seems to be taking some responsibility this time. We'll have to see what this means going forward. My biggest worry is that this could lead to more micromanaging of their vtubers, when their (relatively) free-flowing chaos is exactly what's attracting a ton of people who might not otherwise be into the idea of a virtual idol. That being said, this is probably a necessary step as Cover grows; their expansion this year alone has been massive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4