• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (And Worst) Anime of Winter 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWprowl
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
evoking elements better-deployed in everything from Hayate the Combat Butler to Symphogear,

You said Symphogear. Now I'm intrigued, almost to the point of considering watching Hatena just to see what you mean

Mostly just cribbing terminology: It's revealed that the objects the magic thieves in the show use for their powers are called 'Artifacts', with the one wielded by the main character being named 'Airgetlam'. As a Symphogear die-hard that provoked one hell of a double-take from me, though good on Hatena Illusion for eliciting SOME kind of reaction for once, I guess.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
As good as Eizouken apparently is, the unholy trinity of overwhelming hype plus anime-about-anime a genre I'm exhausted with

Apparently I have been living under a rock for the past years, how many "anime about anime" are out there ? In "recent" years I can remember Shirobako (which was very different) and the Seiyuu show, which is obviously about Seiyuus. I can't recall many other shows that are about making anime, and even less so in the way that Eizouken is doing it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Best:

1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!: you can never go wrong with Yuasa. He always surprises you in some way.

2. Dorohedoro: Nice fun return to classic ultraviolence. Also has the best opening of the year

Worst:

Can't say, didn't watch anything else. The newest arc of My Hero Academia was a huge disappointment, but the current one is off to a good start.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
Apparently I have been living under a rock for the past years, how many "anime about anime" are out there ? In "recent" years I can remember Shirobako (which was very different) and the Seiyuu show, which is obviously about Seiyuus. I can't recall many other shows that are about making anime, and even less so in the way that Eizouken is doing it.

The only other anime-about-making-anime that I can think of are Animation Runner Kuromi (2001) and Otaku-no Video (early 1990s). But there have been a ton about making manga (Comics Girls, The Comic Artist and His Assistants, Eromanga Sensei, Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, etc.) as well as a large number about anime/manga/otaku culture in general (Anime-Gataris, Akiba's Trip, Genshiken, Wotakoi, etc.). So maybe the whole subject of "anime" in anime?

Last edited by DeTroyes on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

The only other anime-about-making-anime that I can think of are Animation Runner Kuromi (2001) and Otaku-no Video (early 1990s). But there have been a ton about making manga (Comics Girls, The Comic Artist and His Assistants, Eromanga Sensei, etc.) as well as a large number about anime/manga/otaku culture in general (Anime-Gataris, Akiba's Trip, Genshiken, Wotakai, etc.). So maybe the whole subject of "anime" in anime?

Ah yes, I do remember Otaku No Video as well, and most manga/anime that are about making manga.

Most of those are older though, so it just seemed weird to me, to say that they are exhausted with the genre, so I was wondering if I missed something.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
As good as Eizouken apparently is, the unholy trinity of overwhelming hype plus anime-about-anime a genre I'm exhausted with

First, TheRahi00 is correct. Would've made sense if you're "exhausted" with isekai, but not anime about anime. There are very very few of those shows - what you're exhausted with is critical voices not singing the praises of your favorite fanservice shows.

Second, an "unholy trinity" would have three things, not two.

Third, a lot of this is Channer-brain backlash against anything they deem to be "pretentious" because it's not 100% about sex or the possibility of sex.

Eizouken is for people who enjoy and celebrate art and the artists who make it. Sorry if that isn't horny enough for y'all. Peace.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
His original post did have three things, he hates the OP too.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
His original post did have three things, he hates the OP too.

Yeah, we just have different... approaches to the value of anime, I think. Whatevs - different strokes for different folks. So to speak. Haha.
Tai92

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Best- A Destructive God Sits Next to Me, Toilet Bound Hanako kun

Runner up- In/spectre, The Case Files of Jeweler Richard

Worst- ARP Backstage Pass I love male idol shows but this one was boring

Destructive god and Hanako kun both have great characters and moments that made me laugh out loud.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
^^^^
Also, @kotomikun didn't bring up fanservice/sexy shows, not even reviewers, so that whataboutism was pretty random
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Best - Haikyuu!!: To The Top
Runner up - Smile Down The Runway
Worst - ID: Invaded
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who got bored of Eizouken. Speaking as an artist, I loved the first episode, and I'm sure the rest is great, but it just didn't hook me like I wanted it to. I also didn't watch the premiere with a box of tissue and a framed photo of Yuasa, so maybe the difference is folks going into it for the genius and those that aren't?

I did end up watching Dorohedoro all the way through, though, and I really adored that. I haven't read the manga, but I know it goes on much longer than the 12 episodes-worth that we got, so I hope they end up doing more!

Last edited by Gem-Bug on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
BWprowl wrote:
Mostly just cribbing terminology: It's revealed that the objects the magic thieves in the show use for their powers are called 'Artifacts', with the one wielded by the main character being named 'Airgetlam'. As a Symphogear die-hard that provoked one hell of a double-take from me, though good on Hatena Illusion for eliciting SOME kind of reaction for once, I guess.

Ah, I see! Thank you for the explanation. Yeah, even though stuff like Airgetlam wasn't created by Symphogear, that'd certainly be enough to make you do a double take.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Also, @kotomikun didn't bring up fanservice/sexy shows, not even reviewers, so that whataboutism was pretty random

Might be a dig at the fact Ishuzoku Reviewers was the breakout show of the season and stole all the thunder from everyone else. Or maybe the projected preorders being above Eizouken's. Saw a few people irked by that,
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Just to make this clearer, my reason for not watching Eizouken is that it's easy for me to predict that I wouldn't like it even though it is a good show. Probably sounds a bit weird, but I'm not trying to dunk on it. Yet I still managed to get some backlash (from Zac himself, no less... don't worry, dude, I hate fanservice shows just as much as you do) for saying that much. This is exactly why I avoid overhyped shows--not because they are bad, but because liking them is mandatory.

And yes, under "anime about anime" I'm including anime about video games, otaku, etc. which is truly an overloaded subject at this point, besides being a pet peeve (could make a story about anything in the world, but we keep making ones explicitly about ourselves).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4