• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Summer 2019's 6 Most Appealing Isekai Parties

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
Uhh Digimon is an isekai. Just because you like it doesn't make it not an Isekai. Digimon Adventure is 100% an isekai.

Lol. I watched like 5 episodes of Digimon when I was a kid but it was in a really bad timeslot so I didn't get far into it at all. To say I don't wanna call it an isekai because I like it is rich in more than one way, I legit have no opinion of it.

Quote:
Angel beats isn't really an isekai because of where they are. They are spoiler[dead in purgatory, not in another world].

Dying and getting transported to another world is like the tropiest way to get isekai'd there is. Just because the other world happens to be related to judeo-christian ideas of the afterlife doesn't not make it another world by the very definition of the term. Or is Saga of Evil Tanya less of an isekai than Shield Hero because its world is pretty much our own circa 1915, with magic added?

Quote:
Isekai is literally just getting transported to another world. It doesn't matter what that world is as long as it is another world. The fact you want to try to qualify it with "fantasy" is just you being unwilling to accept some of the things you like share a genre with things you dislike. The definition is the definition, you can't change it just to suit your fee fees.

That's hilarious, nice assumption bud. I own and read all the Re:Zero published novels and all the available translations of the web novel . Few things in anime get me to geek out as much as arguing about who Emilia's mother is and what her link with Satella is about, but sure, I'm just prejudiced against isekais. Lol.

The problem of your "definition" is that when you have such a broad genre that it includes Re:Zero, Angel Beats!, Digimon and Alice in Wornderland, you don't have a genre, you have a gimmick that gets used in multiple genres. Everyone sorta knows what an "isekai" sounds like. Maybe you replace sword and magic with gun and magic; maybe it has less furries and slaves and more waifus and harems, but there's plenty of common beats they all share. If you want to coin an "isekai" genre, you really need to look at those common beats rather than the etymology of the term, otherwise it's just a story gimmick (and for what is worth, lots of sites, including MAL, consider it as such).

TheAncientOne wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
People at least have an argument there. After all, someone can't travel to visit their relatives if they wanted to, so obviously they aren't in this world

There are some isekais that defy this rule;

Good points, but can we agree that if you can't go visit their relatives, that is a good indication they are in another world (or another time)?

Of course, at this point, someone could come along and point out an anime where someone is quite clearly in the same world, but sealed off by some type of barrier. Smile

While it's not a bad litmus test per se, I still have to point that that (minor Konosuba spoilers I suppose) spoiler[At one point Kazuma and the gang actually go to Japan for a day trip] and not a single soul is gonna make the argument that Konosuba isn't an isekai.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
The problem of your "definition" is that when you have such a broad genre that it includes Re:Zero, Angel Beats!, Digimon and Alice in Wornderland, you don't have a genre, you have a gimmick that gets used in multiple genres.

Exactly. DanMachi doesn't have that gimmick.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
OrdepNM wrote:
The problem of your "definition" is that when you have such a broad genre that it includes Re:Zero, Angel Beats!, Digimon and Alice in Wornderland, you don't have a genre, you have a gimmick that gets used in multiple genres.

Exactly. DanMachi doesn't have that gimmick.

Exactly x2 Laughing Isekai really is just a gimmick that gets called a genre. I've seen people claim there should be a central theme that makes a show an isekai beyond just being transported but can the same be said for all 'genres'? I mean, what would you say is the central theme of the harem genre beyond multiple people fighting for one persons affection.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Exactly x2 Laughing Isekai really is just a gimmick that gets called a genre. I've seen people claim there should be a central theme that makes a show an isekai beyond just being transported but can the same be said for all 'genres'? I mean, what would you say is the central theme of the harem genre beyond multiple people fighting for one persons affection.

And I agree, obviously. In my opinion, what separates an Isekai show from a Fantasy show is that in an isekai, the audience should never be allowed to forget that the protagonist is not native to that world. That means fleshing out the MC's life back in the real world and using that knowledge to explain why it might see things in a different from other characters or have a different world view. Like I said previously tough, the majority of isekais out there fail completely at this kind of thing and as soon as the MC gets its bearings in the other world, the isekai tag might as well not matter. This has become such a staple that to expect otherwise is somewhat delusional.

And that's where I think the murky waters comes from. Isekai, as a genre popularized by the likes of SAO, Re:Zero, Konosuba, Overlord, Slime and a ton of others, could definitely be its own thing, but because most writers are completely incapable to make the isekai tag actually matter, those shows are usually so functionally similar to a straight fantasy like Danmachi as to be effectively similar in genre.

As to your harem example, I actually disagree. An harem is usually functionally different from a romcom due to the way a story progresses. In a romcom you'll uusally have the "will they won't they" mechanic, with the occasional wedge character coming between the main couple to spice things up. In an harem, the goal is to give each love interest a somewhat equal amount of screen time, in order to foster stuff like "waifu wars" and "best girl" arguments among the fandom.
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
Now that we're all agreeing that Danmachi isn't isekai.

Cop Craft isn't isekai. Very Happy
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
The problem of your "definition" is that when you have such a broad genre that it includes Re:Zero, Angel Beats!, Digimon and Alice in Wornderland, you don't have a genre, you have a gimmick that gets used in multiple genres. Everyone sorta knows what an "isekai" sounds like. Maybe you replace sword and magic with gun and magic; maybe it has less furries and slaves and more waifus and harems, but there's plenty of common beats they all share. If you want to coin an "isekai" genre, you really need to look at those common beats rather than the etymology of the term, otherwise it's just a story gimmick (and for what is worth, lots of sites, including MAL, consider it as such).

The Neverending Story is an isekai and Harry Potter is a magic high school LN.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the article should be rewritten as "The List - Summer 2019's 6 Most Appealing Fantasy Parties" instead. That way, the confusion stops.

All in all, I will probably watch each of these at least a little and fully watch at least two of them. If they're good, I'll watch them wholeheartedly like The Rising of the Shield Hero or drop them as faster than I can say "The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar".
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
drop them as faster than I can say "The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar".

and I just got mine on blu ray too!!!
Need more too be like in another world with my smartphone, that one is one of my favorite recent isekai. Seems like id like most on this list though.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
Maybe you replace sword and magic with gun and magic; maybe it has less furries and slaves and more waifus and harems, but there's plenty of common beats they all share. If you want to coin an "isekai" genre, you really need to look at those common beats rather than the etymology of the term, otherwise it's just a story gimmick (and for what is worth, lots of sites, including MAL, consider it as such).

They already have a common genre. It's called 'fantasy'. Just because a non-isekai may share common themes with isekais doesn't make them isekai. Same as a writer using wrong word or grammar doesn't make it not wrong.

The article writer should correct the article so things can cool down here a bit...
Drifter24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Guys, I've written this column for 8 years. I made a mistake. I'm actually surprised about how snarky some of the comments are in here. I've watched all of Danmachi, for the record but I slipped. So apologies for that.

Please edit the article just so the next 100 responses aren't about how Danmachi is not an isekai, cause it looks like that is where we are headed.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure if Arifutea or Shield Hero came out, but they were around roughly the same time, they are actually pretty different beyond the initial premise, and there are a ton more of the revenge isekai if thats is good enough for you to call one a rip off of the other.

Arifutea is a lot more harem centeric, with a lot more balanced cast in terms of the harem. Sure the vampire is legal wife, but the other 6-8 harem members from what I recall all get decent screen time. Arifutea is also darker in my opinion in the sense that MC is a lot more brutal and less caring, he arguably mellows out somewhat like Naofumi later as well, but barely. I like both , and you can like two similar works, but prefer Arifutea.

And although I typically approve of giving the "professional" staff crap for their subpar and woeful unprofessional drivel, the danmachi whining on here is actual a bit much. Like other have said, and especially if you are going to whine about Arifutea being a rip off of Shieldbro, Danmachi literally checks every other single box of harem isekai other the first ten seconds of the plot where random kid gets run over by a truck. Honestly skip half of the first episode of most isekai and you cant distinguish them from Danmachi.

Also one of the popular theories is that all the characters in Danmachi are either NPC and gods are people, or the characters are players, so if you qualify the likes of Sword Art as Isekai, then it could actually still qualify.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Cop Craft sounds like a less fun-loving, darker and edgier Blood Blockade Battlefront. I’d rather have another season of BBB.

All this talk about what is and isn’t an isekai has me thinking back to Inuyasha. I would argue it was an isekai, despite it being based on time travel and Kagome’s ability to go home. In conclusion, I miss isekai stories starring girls. When is the Bookworm anime starting again?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
ANN: Here's an extremely tongue-in-cheek article about isekai battle parties or whatever.
Comments: Hey! Danmachi isn't an isekai! [vicious argument ensues]

Why are we like this...

I guess what this really means is that "isekai" has become something of a dirty word. Though also one that seemingly has no agreed-upon definition. So that's not a great situation. Maybe we could try evaluating things on their own merits. And perhaps also recognizing when something is meant to be humorous.
scowler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cop Craft sounds like a less fun-loving, darker and edgier Blood Blockade Battlefront. I’d rather have another season of BBB.

On this topic, hopefully we get a review soon for Midnight Occult Civil Servants, which in my view was a sleeper hit of this just ended season. I think it has many similar themes as BBB.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
ANN: Here's an extremely tongue-in-cheek article about isekai battle parties or whatever.
Comments: Hey! Danmachi isn't an isekai! [vicious argument ensues]

Why are we like this...

I guess what this really means is that "isekai" has become something of a dirty word. Though also one that seemingly has no agreed-upon definition. So that's not a great situation. Maybe we could try evaluating things on their own merits. And perhaps also recognizing when something is meant to be humorous.

If there’s anything we love as much as our hobbies, it’s correcting people. Truth be told, I had wanted to chime in myself, but by then the point had already been well and truly made.

I do think that isekai has become a folk devil in significant segments of the community, much like moe before it, and that does color some of the urgency in correction. People want the shows they like to be judged on their own merits, and both those who hate and those who like isekai know that word alone will make some pass on it (even in the context of a humorous article), and they would like to avoid that, especially when there is a case to be made that it doesn’t fit.

I think the broad strokes of the definition are well agreed upon (the definition at the top of the article isn’t a bad one, even if DanMachi doesn’t meet it). It’s just that there are some borderline cases where there is disagreement, often heated, about precisely where the line is, not unlike with the harem genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4