• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fairy Tail Manga Reaches 500 Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Shaddy_Pl wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
If only recent arcs weren't the same copy-paste one. (spoiler[I'm sacrificing myself for the guild. Now I'm alive. Now I beat the enemy that was stronger than me not 3 chapters ago by giving a Nakama Speech.])

And in One Piece, every Arc is different? All I see is:
- arrive on island
- team split up
- every group meet some ally, and learn about main villain on island
- they meet henchman of main villain, and get beaten/kiddnaped
- luffy faint or is beaten so he can't move.
- team re-join
- everybody beat henchman
- luffy beat main villain

One piece is a GOOD manga though
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I tried FT, but I couldn't really get into it. However, 500 chapters is still impressive.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Do we really need to get into "which shounen series is the most clichéd?" arguments now? Rolling Eyes

I've read a lot of shounen battle manga in my days but few have taken the "friendship can overcome pretty much anything, even death" to such extremes as FT...which was charming the first couple of times, but quickly got old for me. If you still enjoy it, more power to you (and since the manga made it to 500 chapters and seems to do pretty well, a lot of people still seem to enjoy it...), just try to accept that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

That's all fine and well, but you're coming onto an article about Fairy Tail celebrating 500 chapters where obviously the fans are going to comment and congratulate Hiro Mashima. You put in the effort to come onto a thread where fans are and voice your displeasure with the series, but why? When you put yourself out there, then of course you're going to have the fans get annoyed by it because they don't want to see it.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
davem1992ftw wrote:
Now if only Fairy Tail wasn't......crap then I'd be more happy for it.

The series hasn't been good since the whole Tenrou Island arc and even that had a lame ending.

Yet everyone praises the Tartaros arc and Zero as the best arcs of the series which were both written after Tenrou. Yeah I would agree the latest arc is annoying in some respects, but the series hasn't been just constantly crap, it has ups and downs.

Sometimes I just a to ask if people don't recognize the good points this manga has despite all of the bad ones, and they prefer to say in a common voice "This manga is the worst" since it began running? (My good points are that characters had development before the grand magic games, and that Mashima could handle a big cast in the arcs all this time, whitout being "The X character Show" only)

I also have to wonder if people hate the WHOLE shounen genre these days and say that there aren´t any good shonen series besides JoJo? I hate when people hate a genre just because they have been dissapointed more than once
Velius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Fairy Tail and Mashima! Just seems like yesterday that I remember the series starting up in WSJ and it always had the potential to get to 500 chapters. Despite what people think of the series, I think there is a very good chance it will make it to Bleach/Naruto length of 700+ chapters.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I cannot quite grasp the significance of 500 chapters because I just do not think in terms of chapters. But I can understand 57 volumes and that is an accomplishment worth congratulations.

I will admit that I enjoyed the series more in the early years when there were fewer characters. As far as I am concerned he could have stopped introducing new characters after Wendy.
But I do still like Fairy Tail. I have read volume 55 and am looking forward to 56.
I have not read any of the spin-offs yet, but I do want to try Fairy Girls and Blue Mistral at least.

I congratulate Hiro Mashima for his success and thank him for providing many hours of pleasant entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Merida wrote:
Do we really need to get into "which shounen series is the most clichéd?" arguments now? Rolling Eyes

I've read a lot of shounen battle manga in my days but few have taken the "friendship can overcome pretty much anything, even death" to such extremes as FT...which was charming the first couple of times, but quickly got old for me. If you still enjoy it, more power to you (and since the manga made it to 500 chapters and seems to do pretty well, a lot of people still seem to enjoy it...), just try to accept that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

That's all fine and well, but you're coming onto an article about Fairy Tail celebrating 500 chapters where obviously the fans are going to comment and congratulate Hiro Mashima. You put in the effort to come onto a thread where fans are and voice your displeasure with the series, but why? When you put yourself out there, then of course you're going to have the fans get annoyed by it because they don't want to see it.

It's a news article about FT reaching 500 chapters. Whether commenters want to clelebrate this or voice their displeasure with the manga is up to them, as long as they are civil about it. If you don't want to see any criticism, join a FT forum or something...
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Honestly I can't think of a more hated series than this.

Oh, wait I can: Sword Art Online.

That's the two most hated shows.

BTW, congrats for 500 chapters. Smile
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
Why is every Fairy Tail news thread like this? Have no interest then you know don't comment, simple really. I don't understand why people feel the need to comment they hate/dislike/have no interest. Eurgh.

Anyway, 500 is impressive and all, but I think the real party will start when it reaches 1000 Wink
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Honestly I can't think of a more hated series than this.

Oh, wait I can: Sword Art Online.

That's the two most hated shows.

I prefer the term "polarizing", but yeah, they're definitely both franchises that people have strong opinions about.

From my perspective, Fairy Tail is a pretty strange comic, though. It has all of the "problematic" elements that have caused me to turn away from fanservicey shonen manga for nearly two decades, but when they show up in Fairy Tail, I somehow don't mind them. It's almost as if Mashima has figured out a way to make sleaze charming. Neutral
Shinuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
So sad that Mashima celebrated the 500th chapter with such terrible chapter, even some hard fanboys weren't able to defend this time...
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
You know what would be an actual achievement? Fairy Tail actually having good writing
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
You know what would be an actual achievement? Fairy Tail actually having good writing

The last volume sold over 300,000 copies, and while that's not necessarily an indication of quality, it does make it highly unlikely that Mashima would change his writing style any time soon. Both he and his fans seem pretty happy with the way things are currently going (it's not as though the problems people have with chapter 500 haven't been aspects of the series for the past 100+ chapters, and there have been AMPLE opportunities for the fanbase to jump ship).

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3