• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk: Past, Present, and Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
Ruddor wrote:
I know people hate this, but I really think the manga best way to experience Berserk, even after you watch the anime/movies. Several small but important details were lost in the page to screen translation that can really help you understand the characters better. For example, there is a very specific reason Guts freaks out whenever people, especially other men, touch him.

To me I've found that reading manga before watching the anime is comparable to reading a book or graphic novel before watching the movie it is adapted from. Movies, television shows, and anime will add or take away from the source materials because sometimes you have to change stuff, for better or for worse. Sometimes authors then have to designate the source material canon, like Oda of One Piece has explicitly stated that the manga version is canon.

I ended up reading the manga first before watching the anime, so I was able to to figure out how there were a lot of people disappointed with the 1997 anime series ending after I saw it myself. Granted the series did do a good job of adapting from the manga, and even though it ended like the cliffhanger it was nothing really changed for the ending, it just ended a little too early. Hopefully this new series is going to fulfill the wants that the anime fanbase has been wanting to see regarding this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
i appreciate that the anime version actually left Puck out until the supernatural stuff really came into play. I think it helped add extra impact since the first episode and Zodd let you know that something was going on, but there was little sense of just how it would fit in, adding to some of the shock of the end of the Golden Age arc.

Plus, I actually started reading the manga by picking up directly where the anime ended, and it was a smooth transition for me, so to me the adaptation did a good job of focusing on the important parts of the story.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll be watching this to see how it turns out, both visually and story wise. No point in complaining about CG now, the decision's already been made so I'll watching this mainly to see how the story will be adapted.

Ruddor wrote:
I know people hate this, but I really think the manga best way to experience Berserk, even after you watch the anime/movies.

Very true. In the end, if you want the real thing, you'll want to read the manga. People need to live with the fact that any anime adaptation is going to leave something out. Honestly, I'm not sure if we'll ever get a "true" or complete anime adaptation of Berserk.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I got into anime after my camp monitor recommended me the original Berserk (let's not judge the guy Razz). Incidentally, I only watched the first couple episodes then and never finished it, but it lead me to look into that "anime" stuff and the rest is (personal) history. Now, with the new adaptation coming, I thought I would go back and complete it. What a great decision! I have just finished episode 10, "Assassination," and it really hit me hard. I did not expect it would get that kind of emotional reaction from me. I definitely recommend it to everyone on the fence!
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Personally, I have never been a fan of this series, although it has intrigued me for a while (I have watched one of the movies and can see the appeal).
My one concern is whether or not this reboot series will go the same way that the A-Team remake did. While the anime was mega popular back in its day, it has been a while, and might have lost some of its fan following. However, judging by what some people posted on here, this may not be the case. Only one way to know for sure.Razz
NCHaskew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
So, is this new Berserk series a sequel to the original anime or like a reboot? Sorry, I'm dumb and haven't really followed the news behind this new adaptation.

There are no dumb questions! Berserk is kind of interesting like that: in the manga, there's an arc shown first (Black Swordsman), then the events depicted in the anime are like an extended flashback (Golden Age), then it switches back to the time period after the first arc (Lost Children). From the look of things, this series looks like it's taking place in the arc following the arc AFTER Lost Children, the Conviction arc.

Long story short: yes, this takes place after the events of the original anime. However, if you haven't already, I would recommend watching the Golden Age Arc in preparation, as the animation style is more similar, it goes a little bit farther than the TV series, and has the same voice cast and musician.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
So, is this new Berserk series a sequel to the original anime or like a reboot? Sorry, I'm dumb and haven't really followed the news behind this new adaptation.

Not that this makes a big difference, but it's officially a sequel to the films, which were themselves essentially a reboot of the original series (a new adaptation of mostly the same material from the manga).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3