• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Confirms English Trigun Movie Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:

And that's exactly why FUNi did what they did. You're still going to buy it anyway. Just like 99% of other Trigun fans.

Then put me in this 1% because I'm not gonna touch it, honestly if people continue to buy from them when they pull this petty crap, they are always going to do it and its always going to be disappointing because SURPRISE SURPRISE FUNimation is always a disappointment, this was FUNi's third strike with me, and that means your out done buying their products

God I wish Geneon was still around....
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Then put me in this 1% because I'm not gonna touch it, honestly if people continue to buy from them when they pull this petty crap, they are always going to do it and its always going to be disappointing because SURPRISE SURPRISE FUNimation is always a disappointment, this was FUNi's third strike with me, and that means your out done buying their products

Your loss, then Neutral. Seriously though, I've really loved the original dub for Trigun as well-- probably among my old favorites-- but face it: this would mean a cast-reunion after almost ten years, even if it meant "just" 3 to 4 more returning members. There's certainly been precedent for anime cast re-unions in the past, I know, but just because there's a precedent set by a few doesn't make it mandatory nor financially feasible for all. You call it a "petty crap", and that's an easy position to take-- I'm admittedly a bit disappointed myself-- but I certainly thinks there's more to pettiness when most of the actors probably live who knows how far away from Texas and how many of the actors have their own schedules that they must abide by as well. Oh, and the Japanese aren't a stranger to "pettiness" themselves, if that's what you still want to call it-- with the original Japanese voice-cast for MA Brotherhood, virtually all but Ed and Al had their original voice actors replaced, whereas virtually every big role but Scar and Al was unchanged in the FUNI Dub (though I'm sure you're already aware of that latter fact).

Emerje wrote:
Hawkins was also the voice of the original Gold Ranger on Power Rangers Zeo along side Bosch. While they never would have been on the set together they would have been at the same studio when recording the voices for the action scenes. I'm sure that has a lot to do with how he was able to go from minor roles to a major fan favorite like Wolfwood in the same film as Bosch.[

Hah, that's awesome. Never really cared about Power Rangers, but I've long been aware of how Bosch was a Ranger himself, so that's cool to see that another former member is part of the Trigun film cast. If there were to be any live-action promotions for the film, with Hawkins and Bosch hammily playing their parts, maybe they could somehow pay homage to that shared history. Laughing

Last edited by Animerican14 on Thu May 05, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Evidently, some people seem to care more about the VAs then the show itself Rolling Eyes
shokenchi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Evidently, some people seem to care more about the VAs then the show itself Rolling Eyes

exactly Laughing cant satisfy everyone. the original cast wasnt that impressive anyway. it just brings nostalgic value.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nimoy couldn't do it because it would be too hard on his wallet. He would have to fly to Texas and all that. I'm flexible and they got JYB back so I couldn't be happier. Not going to complain about the dub or praise it until I watch it for myself.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm a bit disappointed that none of the rest of the original cast are in it, but that's life I guess. As I understand it, it's normal operating procedure for Funimation to require that actors pay for their travel expenses themselves, so that's no surprise. I would have hoped though that they would have been willing to bend a bit more to get the original cast back. At least they did put some effort in to getting the original cast even if they didn't go far enough to make it actually happen. Probably the only way to for them to have gotten most everyone back would have been to actually dub it LA, and the only times that I'm aware of that they've done that were for Tenchi Muyo GXP and the 3rd Tenchi OVA - and both of those were actual series (albeit a relatively short one in the case of the OVA) rather than just a movie.

Well, at least we get Johnny Yong Bosch back. I'll be picking it up on Blu-ray whenever it's released, and I would have done so regardless of what they did with the cast, but I'm glad that they did get at least one original cast member back, even if it is disappointing that they didn't get more.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

You call it a "petty crap", and that's an easy position to take-- I'm admittedly a bit disappointed myself-- but I certainly thinks there's more to pettiness when most of the actors probably live who knows how far away from Texas and how many of the actors have their own schedules that they must abide by as well. Oh, and the Japanese aren't a stranger to "pettiness" themselves, if that's what you still want to call it-- with the original Japanese voice-cast for MA Brotherhood, virtually all but Ed and Al had their original voice actors replaced, whereas virtually every big role but Scar and Al was unchanged in the FUNI Dub (though I'm sure you're already aware of that latter fact).

Petty still. Not to say the Japanese can't be petty because they have been time and again, but pettiness is still pettiness whether it's Japan or America and so I'm not sure what the point was in mentioning it as it seems kind of moot Confused

Imo what came off petty wasn't that funi didn't cast the original actors, but the way it was handle. Obviously it was one sided hearing from Jeff and Dorothy how the deal fell through, but it was kind of shady and unprofessional from the sounds of it. They were in the middle of negotiating and the next they hear funi has already recast them? If that isn't shady I don't know what is. They couldn't have picked up a phone and called them and told them "as much as we would have liked to work with you we decided to go in a more financially feasible direction." I'm sorry but that's unprofessional in my book.

And your comparison to a recast situation for fma:brotherhood is a little apples to oranges. Japanese Seiyuu get loads more work than American Voice actors. I'm pretty sure a lot of the originals for fma were currently working on other series, even the original composer for the first series was working on another series when brotherhood came out. Getting Ed and Al's seiyuu's was necessary and thankful at the same time especially considering how much work Romi Paku does. It was a completely different situation for when it came over here. For starters funi dubbed the first series and only five years had passed since they originally dubbed the series. Getting the original actors back was easy and well within their means. Funi not extending themselves to at least try to meet some kind of compromise to get the original actors back for trigun just screams laziness to me. Funimation will just continue to recycle the same 10 actors in everything they dub to the point where companies like niisa and nozomi are looking better and better because at least I won't have to put up with another english dub where everyone sounds the same.
Dagon123 wrote:

You and me both brother, if only they had a dbz or naruto that could have padded out their expenses so they didn't have to fold. RIP Geneon.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Imo what came off petty wasn't that funi didn't cast the original actors, but the way it was handled. Obviously it was one sided hearing from Jeff and Dorothy how the deal fell through, but it was kind of shady and unprofessional from the sounds of it. They were in the middle of negotiating and the next they hear funi has already recast them? If that isn't shady I don't know what is. They couldn't have picked up a phone and called them and told them "as much as we would have liked to work with you we decided to go in a more financially feasible direction." I'm sorry but that's unprofessional in my book.

Eh? Where did that come from, the perspective from Jeff and Dorothy on how "things fell through"? First time hearing about that... if that's true, and if you have plenty to back this up, then yeah, it's more understandable to see how one could've seen this as "underhanded" and/or "petty" (though those are still fairly subjective terms, especially in the world of business negotiations).

EDIT: Okay, just saw the links quoted below. (guess I should've paid more attention to the earlier stuff in the forum?) Oh well, it's sad if that's the main truth of it... but hey, Murphy's Law, right?

Quote:
Japanese Seiyuu get loads more work than American Voice actors.

Certainly the Japanese have gotten more work as anime seiyuu... but have you considered how broad the resumes of American voice-actors are as well? (not to say a number of seiyuu haven't done more than voice-acting as well.) They've put work (and continue to put work) into more than just anime; they also do, or have done, commercials, stage acting, live-television parts, singing, and even film narrating! (thinking of Vic Mignogna on those last two) Plus, well, the country is geographically bigger, and they have their own lives with their own schedules just as much as anyone else, and sometimes things get in the way (which may very well be because of the unwillingness of a company itself). Yeah, it doesn't seem so understandable to outsiders... but really, this kind of stuff happens on such an individual basis that it can't always be understandable or transparent to us.

Quote:
Funi not extending themselves to at least try to meet some kind of compromise to get the original actors back for trigun just screams laziness to me.

I'd think I'd like to hear more substantial proof that Funimation ended up not "extending themselves to at least try to meet some kind of compromise"... but yeah, considering the messages left by the original VAs, that's an understandable viewpoint to have.

Quote:
Funimation will just continue to recycle the same 10 actors in everything they dub to the point where companies like niisa and nozomi are looking better and better because at least I won't have to put up with another english dub where everyone sounds the same.

To address the first bolded point: While it can't be denied that there has been a rather stable group of core talent in Funimation throughout its history, you can't deny how some relatively new or different talent keeps popping in. Heck, even the new cast Funimation announced demonstrates this-- how often have we seen Brad Hawkins in anime? Not much, looking at his encyclopedia entry. So I think you're selling FUNI a little short there...

To address the second bolded point: Bwuh? The usage of these "same 10 voice-actors" makes the companies that don't do dubs (at least not usually) look better by comparison? No one is being forced to watch the dubs, and its not like their inclusion skyrockets the price tag or anything, if it changes it much at all. Sheesh, and I thought you were just getting on FUNI about being "lazy"... personally, I'm kinda surprised at all that Funimation has already done for the U.S. anime market, considering its steady decline in the past few years, so I'm generally okay with what's been done with the Trigun film.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

jr0904 wrote:
I think it's becuase most of the Animaze / Zero Limit Productions VA are all retired , or it could be with the same senario with the casting issuses when Funi licensed the Tenchi Muyo Ryo Oki OVA. Though I could be wrong.

Source 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/JeffNimoy (on page 2 of the comments)

Quote:
Actually I would have loved to dub the Wolfwood movie, but Funimation dubbed it already without me. They called me and wanted me to fly myself out to Texas from Los Angeles and put myself up in a hotel while they paid me less than the original series paid. I would have lost money on the deal. Then when I asked for more money, they went ahead and replaced me. Pretty cheap, huh? I guess they don't care about the fans. Sorry, guys, I would have loved to play Wolfwood again, but remember, I'll always be the original! -Jeff

Source 2: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=990501#990501

puffdotty wrote:
Re: not-so-FUNimation
Following is a letter from my fellow cast member of the English dub of the original Trigun series, Jeff Nimoy. It sucks that Funimation did this to both me (Meryl, original series) and Jeff. He posted it on animenews.com… here ya go!

Sorry to all the fans, I would have loved to play Wolfwood again and dub the Trigun movie, but Funimation dubbed it already without me. They called me and wanted me to fly myself out to Texas from Los Angeles and put myself up in a hotel while they paid me less than the original series paid. I would have lost money on the deal. Then when I asked for more money, they went ahead and replaced me. Pretty cheap, huh? I guess they don’t care about the fans. Sorry, guys, I would have loved to play Wolfwood again, but remember, I’ll always be the original! -Jeff Nimoy

Yup, in the midst of negotiating we suddenly got radio silence – and found out (from someone else!) that they went ahead and recorded it without us! I thought we were reaching a final compromise – apparently Funi did not. Anyway, sorry guys, I just had to spew! xoxo Dorothy Fahn (Melendrez)

Well that's pretty petty. I would have LOVED to hear Dorothy and Jeff back. Sorry Funi, but there's only one Wolfwood and one Meryl. It's the same reason I can't watch the Eva movies dubbed since Amanda wasn't back as Rei. Funi has a bad habit of this
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Probably the only way to for them to have gotten most everyone back would have been to actually dub it LA, and the only times that I'm aware of that they've done that were for Tenchi Muyo GXP and the 3rd Tenchi OVA - and both of those were actual series (albeit a relatively short one in the case of the OVA) rather than just a movie.

There's also Sakura Taisen: Sumire, Slayers Revolution & Slayers Evolution-R which were dubbed in LA as well (with the latter two being a bi-coastal dub with New York).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they were able to get Bosch. As great as it would have been, I wasn't really expecting them to get the other original VAs. The new ones seem OK, but I'm not sure just how well they will fit, since they seem somewhat odd-fitting at first blush.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
This is a bit disappointing because I really liked the original Trigun dub cast, even as someone who primarily watches with subtitles. Hopefully they tried to make it happen at least, and maybe it just didn't work out with those other actors. Or, like when ADV was casting their Slayers movies and trying to hire Lisa Ortiz, the actors were asking for too much money. That seems less likely nowadays though.

Oh well, it's not like I won't buy/watch the movie. I may have to switch to sub but there's no reason not to give the dub a chance.

Good points, all around. I really loved the TV show, for all its quirks, but I trust FUNi enough by this point to believe they'll give the movie their all and so will the actors/actresses they chose for the parts.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

You and me both brother, if only they had a dbz or naruto that could have padded out their expenses so they didn't have to fold. RIP Geneon.

Geneon was so badly run that there was no way they could survive the collapse of anime sales. They simply spent way too much money on anime no one wanted. Just listen to the Anncast where Zac interviewed one of the lead employee's of geneon where they budgeted anime that they not only didn't have the license of but probably wouldn't license.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
ADV didn't have any long-running big name series, and they lived. They had tenacity, so much so that they were even willing to try to continue on in the business even without what few lucrative titles they still had (e.g. Eva), which they sold in a gamble to scrap enough cash together to stay afloat.

Geneon lost the resolve to continue on, it wasn't ever going to be profitable and that's all they cared about (nothing wrong with that). However, ADV's key personnel have a fondness & passion for their business, and are thus willing to take businesses risks that other companies would not. Geneon cut and ran, we should tell it like it is, not prop them up for nostalgia.
Quote:

I'm sure that has a lot to do with how he was able to go from minor roles to a major fan favorite like Wolfwood in the same film as Bosch.
Interest--it's how the world works. Vic Mignogna did something similar with the first FMA movie IIRC. I can't fault Funi for their actions--the original Trigun cast was given an offer (which Funi didn't even have to do), but the original cast wanted more money, and tried to negotiate. They foolishly thought they had a leg to stand on, but they didn't. Funi didn't need them, and it's rather sad that they didn't realize it. Being in LA must have gotten them too used to union-backed bargaining.
Quote:
Bosch was the show's lead, and he's one of only a few iconic VAs out there.
Few? There are dozens of iconic VAs. Clearly we're only talking about anime VAs(Few know tv/game/movie VAs, on that I hope there is consensus), and within the confines of the category, there are more than "a few", unless one redefines "a few" to a rather large number.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Johnny is back as Vash but disappointed that Jeff Nimony hasn't been cast as Wolfwood again. I loved his voice in the original series. I guess it's complicated recasting actors. I hope the guy playing his voice is a good stand in. I found the girls to be annoying so I don't really care who plays them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5