• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Haku from Naruto a boy or a girl?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to the manga, Haku is a boy who barely reached his twelveth year and the only thing feminine/gay about him is his features.

And his fashion sense, and his maneurisms, and the method to which he plays out his loyalty to Zabuza. The loyalty he shows is understnadable and not at all gay. The way that he acts out that loyalty is much more akin to a "girl friend" than that of a loyal subordinate.

Quote:

I was also under the impression that he was actually a she until he informed Naruto and the latter commented "He's even girlier than Sakura!", but there was no indication in the manga that he was gay, or that he saw Zabuza more than a father/big brother/someone to look up to figure.

I didn't notice any difference bewteen the two versions in terms of his appearance or manneurisms.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
According to the manga, Haku is a boy who barely reached his twelveth year and the only thing feminine/gay about him is his features.

And his fashion sense, and his maneurisms, and the method to which he plays out his loyalty to Zabuza. The loyalty he shows is understnadable and not at all gay. The way that he acts out that loyalty is much more akin to a "girl friend" than that of a loyal subordinate.

Actually the kimono that Haku was seen wearing in the forest is a common clothing among men in ancient Japan, although the drawings on it might made it seem a little girly.

Quote:

I didn't notice any difference bewteen the two versions in terms of his appearance or manneurisms.

I've only read the manga and only watched like an episode of the anime out of curiosity, but it seems to me that those who have only watched the anime are more confused about Haku's gender and sexual orientaion, in the manga we don't see that 'cleavage' or any protruding in the chest area when he was wearing that kimono in the forest.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
No, they are not. For those of you who do not habla videogamese, Bridget is a character from the PS2 fighter Guilty Gear X-2 (which is VERY Japanese-anime themed) who is a young boy but whose parents raised as a girl. The result is that he appears/walks/fights very effeminately and wields a pair of yo-yo's . . . and a teddy bear.

didn't i already mention that? hmm...

Briget is much more femine, considering he wears a nun outfit(a scandilous nun at least) but neither are gay or girls. Haku looks like girl at first glance, but if they call him he, then he's a boy. Plus, looking like girl might have gotten haku into some places he couldn't have otherwise (not the dirty kind of place Embarassed )

and yes, Naruto has modern convienices, but no guns or cars. Its probably another world.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually the kimono that Haku was seen wearing in the forest is a common clothing among men in ancient Japan, although the drawings on it might made it seem a little girly.

Guys wear kimonos, sure. Guys don't wear girly kimonos unless they're kinda girly.

Quote:
I've only read the manga and only watched like an episode of the anime out of curiosity, but it seems to me that those who have only watched the anime are more confused about Haku's gender and sexual orientaion, in the manga we don't see that 'cleavage' or any protruding in the chest area when he was wearing that kimono in the forest.

I just checked back in that scene in the manga, and if anything he was even more girly looking. He had very feminine lashes, the shadow of his lower lip, and the Snow White thing with the bird. As Naruto said, he WAS drawn to look cuter and more feminine than Sakura. Either way, Naruto was fooled, so he must have looked pretty girly.
Samurai Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Does Sakura have a reaction when Naruto says that?
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Guys wear kimonos, sure. Guys don't wear girly kimonos unless they're kinda girly.

Quote:

I just checked back in that scene in the manga, and if anything he was even more girly looking. He had very feminine lashes, the shadow of his lower lip, and the Snow White thing with the bird. As Naruto said, he WAS drawn to look cuter and more feminine than Sakura. Either way, Naruto was fooled, so he must have looked pretty girly.

What did I say before? I said his "features" looked feminine -the meaning of that word encompassed what you just mentioned, his kimono? maybe, but Kishimoto made it clear that he was a boy and there was no indication that he was attracted to men, even Zabuza, and no matter how femenine/girly he looked will change that.

And about Sakura's reaction, she wasn't there when Naruto made that statement, but you can expect that she'll smack him like she always did in the begining of the series if that reached her ears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3