• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Warner Presents Pacific Rim's del Toro With Madoka Magica Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't he would make an adaptation of Madoka, but it's still an interesting posibility. First I want to see more about the adaptation of monster though.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he would try a live action version; I think he is just excited that he has the movies in hand. He's a cool dude, and I really liked Pacific Rim. I wonder what I will think of his version of Monster. I have yet to watch the anime of it, although I intend to do so soon.

I personally am not a huge fan of the series (despite my avatar; I just love this picture of Kyubey with a mustache). I mean I liked it, and the story was on an epic scale, but I felt like the characterization suffered. Like all this is going on, but I personally don't feel attached to the characters it is happening to. Like how spoiler[Kyoko goes from wanting to kill Sayaka to trying to save her over the course of 3 seconds, and how, even though Mami's death was a shock, it wasn't like we lost someone we as the audience became close to.] Maybe if it had more episodes or something. Also the ending just really didn't gel well with me. Again though, it is still a good series, but I don't see all the hubub about it. I still do have the series on bluray for its historical/cultural significance, although I was considering selling them. It's a lot of money to just sit on for a series I didn't love.
EastN3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Michael Bay is the only director who could do the Homura vs. Walpurgis Night scene justice.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
NO
no mahou shoujos for u
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:
I feel like Michael Bay is the only director who could do the Homura vs. Walpurgis Night scene justice.
I feel like I should report you for trolling.
DarkPhoenixMishima

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Madoka Rim.
Fund the ever loving shit out of it.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Thats a bad idea. Rolling Eyes The only anime that I prefer showing in Hollywood is "Attack on Titans". That will be cool for sure.. Wink
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I don't think he would try a live action version; I think he is just excited that he has the movies in hand. He's a cool dude, and I really liked Pacific Rim. I wonder what I will think of his version of Monster. I have yet to watch the anime of it, although I intend to do so soon.

I personally am not a huge fan of the series (despite my avatar; I just love this picture of Kyubey with a mustache). I mean I liked it, and the story was on an epic scale, but I felt like the characterization suffered. Like all this is going on, but I personally don't feel attached to the characters it is happening to. Like how spoiler[Kyoko goes from wanting to kill Sayaka to trying to save her over the course of 3 seconds, and how, even though Mami's death was a shock, it wasn't like we lost someone we as the audience became close to.] Maybe if it had more episodes or something. Also the ending just really didn't gel well with me. Again though, it is still a good series, but I don't see all the hubub about it. I still do have the series on bluray for its historical/cultural significance, although I was considering selling them. It's a lot of money to just sit on for a series I didn't love.

This is actually really interesting to me, since I also didn't latch onto spoiler[Mami] as a character. Everyone I know adores her, and I don't dislike her, but she never seemed that interesting to me, at least not compared to the other girls. Personally, I loved the show, but I think part of that came from being able to watch the show in a few sittings without knowing ANYTHING about the show. Not being exposed to spoilers really influenced how I took certain events.

As for why there's such a big hubbub about it? It's a creative, well-made series in a medium that often produces stale works (your average generic moe harem show, for instance, though that's not to say there isn't a place for that as well) that had the potential to surprise and move viewers, topped off with some tasty ideas about the concept of exchanges in the magical girl genre (and the darker nature it can hold) and cute SHAFT art. Not to mention the score, from one Yuki Kajiura.

As for the ability to empathize with characters, I find it hard to not want to give spoiler[Homura] a big hug. The amount of tragedy she went through for the person she held most dear sure got me, as I could see myself acting rashly on sheer emotion in the same way for the person I care about. The story is really hers, and that's why the bittersweet ending works for me. It's like entropy: an even deal, with equal amounts triumph and sadness. A failure of a victory.
takemyrevolution

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
bhl88 wrote:
Madoka Hollywood version from someone.

Kyōko would be fun to keep as a redhead, but I think it might fit best to make her Black. It's obvious Kyoko comes from a family with a lower economic status, but in a very faithful and religious community that takes religious doctrine seriously. It fits with her background I think.

I'd think Latina would fit an Americanized version of Kyouko better given the Catholicism.

I wouldn't be surprised if del Toro did executive produce a hypothetical Madoka Hollywood movie that the cast was mostly Latin-American(I think Mami would be the easier to accept as a white girl given her background and choice of weapon).

This is racist.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I would think the art as a whole is too abstract to translate into a live-action film.

Gekidan Inu Curry's witch designs in particular.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Quote:
This is actually really interesting to me, since I also didn't latch onto spoiler[Mami] as a character. Everyone I know adores her, and I don't dislike her, but she never seemed that interesting to me, at least not compared to the other girls. Personally, I loved the show, but I think part of that came from being able to watch the show in a few sittings without knowing ANYTHING about the show. Not being exposed to spoilers really influenced how I took certain events.

There's a lot more to both spoiler[Mami and Kyouko] than the anime was able to present before spoiler[both were killed off.] Which is a shame because the anime could have been made so much better with more actual development. Either way, listen to this:
Though it wasn't written directly by Urobuchi, another person on the Magica Quartet team wrote a Drama CD called "Farewell Story" that was released with the 5th Blu-Ray disc's release in Japan. It took Urobuchi's concept that spoiler[Mami and Kyouko had teamed up in the past] and used that to give us more development for both of them. Furthermore, Hanokage, the one who made the mediocre manga adaption of the anime as it was coming out... created a REALLY well-written and paced 3-volume manga that has yet to be licensed for the West called, "The Different Story." The first volume adapts the "Farewell Story" plot, albeit without the comedy elements and with more exploration into the characters and their motivations. The second and final volumes then return to the present and cover one of spoiler[Homura's alternate timelines.] <--(spoiler for the anime, not the manga)

I've shown both of these to a few of my friends who had been disappointed by the character development/establishment in the anime and they've all agreed: These give perfectly valid motivations for the characters' actions and reactions in the anime. And... surprisingly, all three of them said that despite the anime being a "masterpiece" in its own way (and being required to understand the Drama CD and manga), they ended up enjoying "Farewell Story" and "The Different Story" more than the anime, citing it as more emotionally engaging to them. It's certainly powerful.

So it might be worth checking out, though it's kinda disappointing that neither of them are scheduled to reach the West just yet (and Farewell Story probably never will--The Different Story probably wasn't licensed yet because it came out after the other spin-offs had already been licensed). =3
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
My hope is that Del Toro was given the Madoka movies as a not-so-subtle jab at Pacific Rim's poor plot. The Japanese are, I'm hoping, telling him that they can make a series that looks cute but is actually dark and contains a somewhat detailed plot and implicitly asking him why his giant robot + monster movie was devoid of a decent plot.

I also think that they want to remind him that when main characters die in a meaningful way that it creates drama but when they cheat death without penalty by virtue of a "hero shield" then the work feels empty.

Hell, they really only had to give him through ep 3 of Madoka to ram this point home. I guess both movies are to make sure he gets it Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote
Or not? Pacific Rim is 12 year old fantasy wish fulfillment splayed out in the best way possible on the big screen. It's nothing at all like Madoka and barely even comparable.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[Via 0takomu]

Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Or not? Pacific Rim is 12 year old fantasy wish fulfillment splayed out in the best way possible on the big screen. It's nothing at all like Madoka and barely even comparable.
Del Toro has been wishing to make this movie for 12 years? Laughing

The protagonist of Pacific Rim is well known for his role as "Hamlet on a motorcycle" and yet, tragically, his character in PR didn't even have the depth of a puddle.

Assuming you were referencing my post, your second sentence is exactly my point: Pacific Rim would have been better if it had been like Madoka, only with hardened survivors in lieu of magical girls and urban mech fights in place of acid-tripping fight scenes. Have a more traditional (western) dark/dramatic ending in place of the "dark only because of the intense irony" ending of Madoka and Del Toro would have had a movie worth seeing. When characters died in Pacific Rim it should have had impact, as it did in Madoka. Yet it didn't, and not just because I'm callous lol.

$190 million dollars were thrown about on this movie and yet they could get a decent writing team. Mind-boggling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5