• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds Yu-Gi-Oh! R, Boys over Flowers Epilogue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:

I'm excited for Beast Master Very Happy Motomi Kyousuke's style of shoujo manga is a pretty fun blend of slightly-crazy characters, absurd situations, and an awesome visual sense of humour. As a connoisseur(?) of shoujo, I love it, but I think those who don't normally read shoujo manga will also enjoy it. It's not really "typical" shoujo (as Motomi-sensei has frequently lamented in side/bonus pages). I hope it does well, as I would love to see Viz (or anyone else! but with current trends, Viz is probably the only likely candidate...) pick up more series by this mangaka!!!

Perfect. That sounds exactly like the kind of story I'm hoping it is. I should enjoy it then. Not to mention it seems to have some very high ratings from the handful of people who have rated it in the ANN Encyclopedia. Now it's just a matter of remembering about it come November.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Unit: Toriyama still does concept art for games and shows. As for Takahashi I imagine he pretty much tapped the well dry on game-inspired concepts; and since that was his main interest, he's got nothing left to talk about in manga form.
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
This makes me realize, Kazuki Takahashi has done nothing in the almost five years since Yu-Gi-Oh! ended, hasn't he?

Haha, and he probably doesn't have to, either, with all the royalties he's surely getting from the continuing anime and card game and such.

Well he designed the cards in the Anniversary pack (Old classic YGO cards like BEWD and Jinzo with new artwork) and the new artwork Dark Magician and Obelisk. Other than that not a clue, but it would seem like he's not done much.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
One would think that Yu-Gi-Oh would be out of ideas after almost ten plus years of being around. Apparently not though.

I have a friend who likes the series, so I am not bashing it, only commenting. As expected though, he also told me 4kids butchered the anime as well. Got to love 4kids, almost anything they license is almost instantly ruined.

And yet, here we are Konami and Upper Deck fighting over the license rights. Laughing

Bluebeard wrote:
Hmm... Beast Master intrigues me slightly, but I can't tell exactly how Shojo it is. However since the main male character sounds a lot like, well... me, I think I'll have to give it a shot. Plus what seems like the promise of cute animals is an added bonus. I'm a sucker for the beauty and the beast thing despite how absurd I've found the concept to be in real life Confused

There are already the live-action movies in the 1980s. Wink
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
Ok, I'll be the first/only to say it - yay Yuki Yoshihara! Embarassed I've been reading her stuff in French, and she's really funny. If you're tired of the passive romance heroine, check her out.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Unit: Toriyama still does concept art for games and shows. As for Takahashi I imagine he pretty much tapped the well dry on game-inspired concepts; and since that was his main interest, he's got nothing left to talk about in manga form.

Yeah, Toriyama still does the occasional one-shot like Cowa!, Sandland, or mini-series like Neko Majin.

And now that I think of it, what has Bakuten Shoot Beyblade's Takao Aoki done recently? He's definately not working on MFB, but considering he's a mangaka of children's series he's probably doing something.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
YAAAY! The Natsume Yuujinchou manga's been licensed!! Allelujah! I love the anime but haven't read the manga, so I'm happy!
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
One would think that Yu-Gi-Oh would be out of ideas after almost ten plus years of being around. Apparently not though.

I have a friend who likes the series, so I am not bashing it, only commenting. As expected though, he also told me 4kids butchered the anime as well. Got to love 4kids, almost anything they license is almost instantly ruined.

Not everything. For one thing,the pokemon series was actually good and helped made what anime was during the mid 90's.

Also the edited version of one piece was medicore but watchable in my view but changed after watching funi's version which is much better,though having Dan Green played as Dragon was definately the saving grace for the 4kids version.

And of course i find they did the Yugioh series ok for younger audiences.Same with GX and 5D's & i of coruse enjoyed it. Unfortunately, having only two series that's watchable ain't good. Better off 4kids do just like with geneon.

Either way i'm looking forward to yugioh R.Just hope they keep the american names this time cause the originak name kept me away from the original manga,but my real concern is

"what ever happened to the manga version of yugioh GX???"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3