• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash [2016-01-18]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I originally came here to nitpick how liches are powerful spellcaster undead and how the no life king could be a ghost or other kind of non-lich undead. But this picked my interest.

sharkjack wrote:
Why is Grimgar a dog-eat-dog world? There doesn't seem to be any reason humans, goblins or kobolds need to kill each other. What harm would not raiding other species do to everyone? Besides Economic gain for fighting classes, I really don't see how you can say that this is a dog-eat-dog world. Really by that logic, so is our world. As an evolutionary biologist, I really cannot stand people using an overly simplified version of natural selection as a moral justification for oppressive behavior.

More than a dog-eat-dog world, I would say it fits the bill of a world at war. This might be low intensity, but not all wars have thousands of well equipped troops in every battle since attrition is a real factor in the real world and even today you have conscript armies composed of teenagers. They are obviously competing for the same resources (i.e. Iron from the mine). The goblins are trying to build a buffer land between human and goblin settlements (something like the Koreas have nowadays).

On top of that, they are really different enough to be different races (no one would confuse a goblin or a kobold with a human, these are not cute looking nekomimis). There has been (inconclusive) research about why the Neanderthals and other proto-humans disappeared (while apes and similar continue to exist) and I lean to conclude our ancestors removed them from "play" since they were after the same resources. Neanderthals must have been (by early humans standards) attractive since we have some of their (and devonian) DNA inside us. But neanderthals and devonians kind of looked human, anything less human looking would probably have triggered the uncanny valley reaction we hear a lot nowadays with human looking robots.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
To join the discussion, I'd reconsider thinking that Grimgar is a world at war, or at least what we've seen from it.

Why? Simple, there is literally no authority. In almost any RPG the royalty usually sends you on a quest to defeat monsters, or at least they give you insight in what reason do you even have to risk your ass, mostly saving a princess, or the world, or both.

I can go as far as to say that we have next to no idea of the world previous to the main characters. It could be a made-up world and this is completely fake made for whatever reason and everything is fixed to just work. But let's say this is a conceivable world the protags are just thrown into.

Technically, and this is mere speculation, Grimgar is an European, feudal world. Do you know how you make a penny in a (somewhat) realistic feudal setting (considering you're not rich already)? Well, you can hope your father has some land to exploit (in feudal times, it was the common), you're male and you're the first son. If you're not that, then good luck helping your brother, but not all is lost, you can become a priest, if you're girl you can marry someone with land. But there is one thing that will always work, even trascending royalty and plebs: kick some ass.

To be short, if you wanted glory and some real money, but mostly money, go fight whatever you find in your way. If you stay alive, then congratulations! Maybe your life won't suck that much. The same applies to Grimgar, basically the protagonists can't do any of the first possibilities, that goes for all of the people thrown into Grimgar. It's not a dog-eat-dog situation, because nor goblins or kobold go out of their way to destroy humans (apparently), nor a war situation, because there is no politic institution that would get benefited from it (apparently), it's a fight because you GOTTA. Once you fight hard enough, maybe a different life is possible.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Why? Simple, there is literally no authority. In almost any RPG the royalty usually sends you on a quest to defeat monsters, or at least they give you insight in what reason do you even have to risk your ass, mostly saving a princess, or the world, or both.

This would be a reason why this is not an "trapped inside a computer" story. In real life royalty does not ask nobodies for help neither you are tasked with saving a princess or any other grandiose task. There is a low level authority, which is the guy that recruited them in episode 1. They are in a town at the countries border with non human enemies, so it makes sense any real higher level authority is far from this town, same as nowadays you do not see politicians living near a conflicted border, say, the east of Ukraine.

Quote:
Technically, and this is mere speculation, Grimgar is an European, feudal world. Do you know how you make a penny in a (somewhat) realistic feudal setting (considering you're not rich already)? Well, you can hope your father has some land to exploit (in feudal times, it was the common),

Wrongo, in medieval setting the landlord is the owner of the land, you can work the land for your lord and get a pretty penny (and even have half of the day to do your own things). You could also enter a guild and learn a craft, but how convenient, the only guilds in town specialize in the crafts useful to war.

Quote:
you're male and you're the first son. If you're not that, then good luck helping your brother, but not all is lost, you can become a priest,

Even nowadays, to become a priest (as in, someone that gets a church and a flock that will pay you tithe, not a priest like manato that dies in combat) you need someone to pay for your education and pay to get you to a nice place to preach.

Quote:
if you're girl you can marry someone with land. But there is one thing that will always work, even trascending royalty and plebs: kick some ass.

and to kick some ass, you need some war, otherwise you are an outlaw, a bandit that will be purged if you become famous enough. Even pirates of old needed letters of the marquees to justify their ass kicking. So if there is a (low level) war going on, there is an authority behind it all, it probably is royalty but it could be a democracy since we know so little of this world.

Quote:
It's not a dog-eat-dog situation, because nor goblins or kobold go out of their way to destroy humans (apparently)

Manato wants to have a long talk with you. Also, in the latest episode, death spot seems to be going out of his way, heck, he destroyed parts of the mine instalation (that probably were not built in one day).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
Technically, and this is mere speculation, Grimgar is an European, feudal world. Do you know how you make a penny in a (somewhat) realistic feudal setting (considering you're not rich already)? Well, you can hope your father has some land to exploit (in feudal times, it was the common),

Wrongo, in medieval setting the landlord is the owner of the land, you can work the land for your lord and get a pretty penny (and even have half of the day to do your own things). You could also enter a guild and learn a craft, but how convenient, the only guilds in town specialize in the crafts useful to war.

Quote:
you're male and you're the first son. If you're not that, then good luck helping your brother, but not all is lost, you can become a priest,

Even nowadays, to become a priest (as in, someone that gets a church and a flock that will pay you tithe, not a priest like manato that dies in combat) you need someone to pay for your education and pay to get you to a nice place to preach.

Actually feudal serfs were not living it up. Basically they worked the lord's fields in exchange for protection, justice, and the right to some of it for subsistence and that's it. It was practically slavery. So they weren't exactly living it up and getting a pretty penny, hence the occasional rebellion.

As to the priesthood, to become a priest, yeah you'd probably need some money to get the education. To become a monk, however you wouldn't need any money, though they aren't known to make much money, what with a vow of poverty, though you wouldn't starve to death.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
sharkjack wrote:

This series is definitely going on my wishlist of anime to own. Now it just needs to nail the ending. Death spot was too much for Mary's party to handle and they were way above Haruhiro's party when they died, so I hope they don't take down Death spot in it. Just getting everyone out alive after that would be fine. Even that is not going to be easy though, since Ranta is now all alone to fend for himself.

I think they will kill Deathspots next episode because Mary's party wasn't really stronger and Haruhiro's party consist of 6 persons not 5 like previous Mary's one. Also Mary is more skilled priest now and it was her fault her party died at Deathspots.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
Clearly my definition of "lich" got muddled somewhere between my Middle English class in college and my love of Forgotten Realms short stories and I ended up with a weird amalgamation. Embarassed I do still think it likely that the Undead King is a lich, but yeah, not the former party members. Sorry!
sharkjack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
[quote="mangamuscle"]
Valhern wrote:

Quote:
if you're girl you can marry someone with land. But there is one thing that will always work, even trascending royalty and plebs: kick some ass.

and to kick some ass, you need some war, otherwise you are an outlaw, a bandit that will be purged if you become famous enough. Even pirates of old needed letters of the marquees to justify their ass kicking. So if there is a (low level) war going on, there is an authority behind it all, it probably is royalty but it could be a democracy since we know so little of this world.

Quote:
It's not a dog-eat-dog situation, because nor goblins or kobold go out of their way to destroy humans (apparently)

Manato wants to have a long talk with you. Also, in the latest episode, death spot seems to be going out of his way, heck, he destroyed parts of the mine instalation (that probably were not built in one day).

Well Manato can say things all he likes, after he explains why he was out on a raid on enemy held territory specifically to kill sentient creatures. Can't really blame the goblins for using lethal force against opponents attempting to exterminate them with seemingly no motive besides meager profits.

Like from the goblins perspective, there's all these asshole humans that come in thinking they're better than the goblins just because they're individually more powerful, who go out of their way to kill single/separated individuals for chum change, desecrating the bodies along the way. Screw that. They're not as invincible as they think. Bang, one arrow is all it took.

Now you could say they don't have a choice, but we've never really been given a reason why the people that warp in have to join any of the presented guilds. Like what if you're just an excellent cook or craftsman? Are these kids really not allowed into any other occupation? I haven't seen anyone question the authorities, or any physical authority other than possibly the fighting guilds themselves, but a bunch of adventurers could always decide to go and live on their own. They definitely have the survival skills for it. If say, 30 adventurers decided to go and just take over Damura, they could probably hang out there, maybe rebuild it into makeshift refuge.

Or they could build tree houses. I don't know. But they could. They don't have to follow the rules the one dude who talked to them when they were newbies set to them.

They also got more than good enough to let the goblins go alive, which would maybe send the message that surrendering is an option, which in turn lets raiders get away with dying less often.

On a whole different note, the magic these kids are learning is wicked useful. Jus look at how much a low level priest can cure, or how quickly Yume got good with her bow. She as a hunter, he as a medic, the society these people are in would be able to benefit so greatly from them. Instead they give them a crappy weapon, some barely basic training and send them off to die without any help.

Seriously, tax the more experienced fighters for like a few more gold and give these people some proper equipment and training. If I was one of these adventurers who managed to make it through the initial phase, that's probably what I'd do. Round up as many newbies as possible, insist on them getting at least a gold coin worth of skills, put them into teams with more experienced members so they can learn basic tactics to stay alive, and then once they're independent they finance and mentor the next generation. At the rate people were coming in you'd probably have a small army of additional survivors, all well trained and ready to change the system in their favour. Basically it's the Log Horizon child raising route, but with a continuous stream of newcomers and a bigger incentive to join (since death is final).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
sharkjack wrote:
Well Manato can say things all he likes, after he explains why he was out on a raid on enemy held territory specifically to kill sentient creatures. Can't really blame the goblins for using lethal force against opponents attempting to exterminate them with seemingly no motive besides meager profits.

So we can stop the pretense, both sides are out for blood. As for why, I am sure many wars have been fought in human history where the foot soldier never knew really why, they were said to fight because the lord of the land said so, because ($god) says so or because they will receive the spoils of war (if they survived).

Quote:
Or they could build tree houses. I don't know. But they could. They don't have to follow the rules the one dude who talked to them when they were newbies set to them.

Yep, they could have said "screw it, we are going to live out of berries and rabbits", but that is what the goblins are doing and without proper training the goblin in episode one would have made mincemeat of them all (and probably would have gone a rank in the goblin army).

Quote:
Now you could say they don't have a choice, but we've never really been given a reason why the people that warp in have to join any of the presented guilds. Like what if you're just an excellent cook or craftsman?

Simple, they are non-citizens, they are not allowed to work in anything else but the conscrip army, similar situation happens at the moment in europe where thousand of refugees are not allowed to work. These kids are easy to spot, they have zero knoledge of local history and there is no local library where they can read about it. Also, in small communities news travel fast, anyone giving them a job would sooner or later have the lords army (or worst, a group of local adventurers) giving them a not so friendly visit.

Quote:
If say, 30 adventurers decided to go and just take over Damura, they could probably hang out there, maybe rebuild it into makeshift refuge.

But we return to square one, any money they make would come from killing goblins, so it is what they are already doing.

Quote:
hey also got more than good enough to let the goblins go alive, which would maybe send the message that surrendering is an option, which in turn lets raiders get away with dying less often.

There is a reason you do not do that in a war, they will simply come back to fight you another day. I still remember in an espide of "The World at War" how hitler let thousands of ally soldiers be rescued so that the nazy army could have this huge celebration for taking paris, yep, those soldiers were back on the D-Day.

The other option is taking them prisioners, but then they would need to feed them, build cages and have someone look for them for no profit.

Quote:
On a whole different note, the magic these kids are learning is wicked useful. Jus look at how much a low level priest can cure, or how quickly Yume got good with her bow. She as a hunter, he as a medic, the society these people are in would be able to benefit so greatly from them. Instead they give them a crappy weapon, some barely basic training and send them off to die without any help.

Those skills came from said medieval society, which means they arleady have medics, hunters, etc. but what they need atm is a cheap army.

Quote:
Basically it's the Log Horizon child raising route, but with a continuous stream of newcomers and a bigger incentive to join (since death is final).

Lets forget for a moment log horizon is "living in the database", here the kids are "low level" and will probably continue to be for years to come, any uprising will no doubt be not tolerated by the local landlord and while they might get some saving (if they stay alive), it will take them years to buy citizenship and their way into a more peaceful job.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't really want to get technical, but feudal lords are NOT landlords, nor are they kings. Nowadays you can rent land and work it but not before, in fact, the rent became a thing after the crisis of the 13th century. In feudal times (10-12th century considered it's apex by most), the feudal lord can have two things: politic authority, or land authority.

Politic authority = You make the rules, and you have an army to back you up, and you have the right to go and execute justice by your rules. This does NOT mean you own the land, this means you just have the rights, in Spain, there were plenty of feudal lords with jurisdiction over territory they did not own. Reverse case in England, they owned territory but there were higher political authorities over them.

Land authority = You literally have land, however, a feudal lord that allows people to work in his feud, automatically lose said land. How? When you gave someone a feud, you give them full exploit of the land, the only thing you can do is ask for taxes, and the one who works the land is given the right to let his sons inherit it, for how long? Forever, as long as they pay the yearly tax, which, by the way, was a joke.

It's true, in France, the feudal lords acquired the greatest power, and they did make the system as oppressive as it could get towards the 14th and 15th Century (which is the transition to modernity, not "pure" feudal time), which also came along with the economic declinement of the feudal system.

Now, that was very lenghty, so I will cut it short now. In feudal Europe (I do not say medieval because that definition isn't quite accurate to me), you are not always under the rule of someone, the kings are weak compared to some feudal lords, especially in the 10th century, there is a segregation of power, in fact, sometimes there were more than one king to declare war in the same "country" (it was not called that but, yeah).

So, even if there are guilds (and, if we remember, guilds are private associations, not financied by any State) and such who will go out and kill whatever monster for money, it is because they can, and because they can earn their profit from it. Who will go and say "Hey, don't kill the goblins they have feelings too!"?

For a war, you need State against a State, such case is not in Grimgar, these are just associations, most likely legit according to whoever rules there, or maybe not but whoever rules just doesn't have power but that would seem unlikely, considering how well-organised they are. If a war is what you think they're going for, first you need to find mercenaries, soldiers, working under someone they call Sir, and then we're talking that they're sending kids to the front line and lower the number of enemies so invasion is easier and there is next to no cost to "them" (considering there is someone behind it all).

And by the way, why did they choose this and not go and live out of hunting? You can go do that...when there aren't monsters that could kill you on a bad day, with as good reasons as you can have to kill them.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
That undead fight was so cool and it left behind such an emotional impact on me (even though part of me was like they should totally loot the equipment from Mary's dead compatriots).

The mine escape scene was an awesome adrenaline rush and as DM, I want to try to replicate that event for my next dungeon run.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
But we return to square one, any money they make would come from killing goblins, so it is what they are already doing.

No, they would live off the land, maybe start growing stuff there, build goods out of primary resources. You don't HAVE to fight goblins to make a buck.

Quote:
There is a reason you do not do that in a war, they will simply come back to fight you another day. I still remember in an espide of "The World at War" how hitler let thousands of ally soldiers be rescued so that the nazy army could have this huge celebration for taking paris, yep, those soldiers were back on the D-Day.

The other option is taking them prisioners, but then they would need to feed them, build cages and have someone look for them for no profit.

1. They are not at war. There is no army structure, no higher authority that sets goals and no interest they're representing. They raid the goblins for their loot, which is their sole source of income. They aren't getting paid either, meaning they have basically no ties to whoever rules these lands. You'd think that if they were at war there'd be someone directing them at where they were going.

2. In war, you don't just kill your opponent because then next time you do battle, your opponent will fight to the last man (which is exactly what the Goblins do. If surrendering is preferable to dying, your opponents will tend to know that and guess what, they'll surrender when things look bleak, rather than shooting your healer when they know they've already lost.
Whole systems of capturing rather than killing soldiers developed during some long term wars.
War isn't just about killing all the opponents soldiers. It's about land, supply lines, defensible positions. Often times these can be far more important than beating a specific set of people. Curiously, there is nothing like this going in Grimgar.

Of course, not all wars are equal, but when the soldiers have no loyalty to a larger cause, and they want to survive more than anything else, they'll tend to stop killing each other, like what happened in the trenches of the first world war.

Quote:
Those skills came from said medieval society, which means they arleady have medics, hunters, etc. but what they need atm is a cheap army.

While it is true they got the skills from guilds there, the standard of living is also really low. They need like a few coppers to stay alive, but they can make enough money to live super comfortably very quickly. The party we're following are the slowpokes, but the other people are wearing expensive looking armor and living very comfortably. They're only cheap in the sense that they're not paid, extracting resources from the creatures they slaughter. Also they don't seem to have that many people with skills around.

Quote:
Lets forget for a moment log horizon is "living in the database", here the kids are "low level" and will probably continue to be for years to come, any uprising will no doubt be not tolerated by the local landlord and while they might get some saving (if they stay alive), it will take them years to buy citizenship and their way into a more peaceful job.

If you know this from reading the story then I'll grant you that, but otherwise this seems like baseless conjecture. There is no way these more full fledged adventurers are earning less than the people with regular jobs.

I don't know to what extent the political and economical situation of the Grimgar world has been thought out, but the series put a lot of emphasis on the value of specific things, so my mind wanders there. I hope the series will address it one way or another, I could see the conflict there write itself.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
For a war, you need State against a State, such case is not in Grimgar.

Why not? It looks to me like goblins and kobolds are on the same side ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend") and they probably have their own kings (or at least, tribal chieftains).

Quote:
these are just associations, most likely legit according to whoever rules there, or maybe not but whoever rules just doesn't have power but that would seem unlikely, considering how well-organised they are.

The thing is, if there was a peace treaty between "grimgar" and the goblin/kobolds, then these kind of skirmishes would not be tolerated, the mine would be admnistered by whoever the peace treaty deems as the rightful owner and the land around town would probably be owned by the local land(feudal?) lord.

Quote:
If a war is what you think they're going for, first you need to find mercenaries, soldiers, working under someone they call Sir,

But those cost money, lots of it ...

Quote:
and then we're talking that they're sending kids to the front line and lower the number of enemies so invasion is easier and there is next to no cost to "them" (considering there is someone behind it all).

We do not know if there is someone kidnaping the kids and bringing them to grimgar, but there is a definitive effort from the local authority to make them fight their war (or sell them into prostitution).
------------------------------------------
sharkjack wrote:
Are they? Are the goblins out for blood? They seem to mostly be minding their own business. The Kobolds seem to occupy themselves with mining. Nothing too bad. We have seen no reason why they'd be excessively hostile to people if they weren't continually jumped by bloodthirsty groups of humans.

Only that by the looks of it, both the city the goblins live in and the mine the kobolds are mining were on humans hands to being with, otherwise there would not be a human settlement so close to them (the same way atm no new settlements are being built in east ukraine, you would need to be nuts to build a town near constant skirmishes).

Quote:
No, they would live off the land, maybe start growing stuff there, build goods out of primary resources. You don't HAVE to fight goblins to make a buck.

Again, goblins would not allow them to build a farm and if they travel long enough to find land where there are no goblins, you can bet that land is owned by a local landlord that will not look with kind eyes towards trespassers dwelling in his hunting grounds.

Quote:
1. They are not at war. There is no army structure, no higher authority that sets goals and no interest they're representing. They raid the goblins for their loot, which is their sole source of income. They aren't getting paid either, meaning they have basically no ties to whoever rules these lands. You'd think that if they were at war there'd be someone directing them at where they were going.

There is an structure (don't forget the tags they had to buy. About setting the goals, I would say they are playing the "stick with a carrot" game quite well, if each 6 man cell was given a regiment leader, then the army would have to several paid veterans on town that would have to convince the kids to do the (life threatening) missions. As it stand, they only give them vague hints and they have to be on the look of what missions they can do, so when they find a missions, they are already complaint with doing it.

Quote:
2. In war, you don't just kill your opponent because then next time you do battle, .... Whole systems of capturing rather than killing soldiers developed during some long term wars.

You forget that you need to know goblin or kobold language to do such negotiations, that low level grunts are porbably worth more dead than alive and there must be some kind of communication channel to ask for ransom, which we have so far seen none.

Quote:
War isn't just about killing all the opponents soldiers. It's about land, supply lines, defensible positions. Often times these can be far more important than beating a specific set of people. Curiously, there is nothing like this going in Grimgar.

I think the objectives are clear and slowly but surely they are being achieved, recover the old city, recover the iron mine and probably other (higher level) missions we have yet to know off.

Quote:
Of course, not all wars are equal, but when the soldiers have no loyalty to a larger cause, and they want to survive more than anything else, they'll tend to stop killing each other, like what happened in the trenches of the first world war.

But so far neither side has shown a weapon of mass destruction like the machine gun (maybe Shihoru will master such spells later on) and armies normally deal harshly with deserters

Quote:
While it is true they got the skills from guilds there, the standard of living is also really low. They need like a few coppers to stay alive, but they can make enough money to live super comfortably very quickly. The party we're following are the slowpokes, but the other people are wearing expensive looking armor and living very comfortably. They're only cheap in the sense that they're not paid, extracting resources from the creatures they slaughter. Also they don't seem to have that many people with skills around.

Lets me tell you something I learned empirically, even if you have money in the piggy bank, if you do not have a constant income, you will be in the the red soon enough. As for not having many skilled people around, it is hard to know since so far we have only seen kids that came from "our world", we know next to nothing of the locals, their culture, etc.

Quote:

If you know this from reading the story then I'll grant you that, but otherwise this seems like baseless conjecture. There is no way these more full fledged adventurers are earning less than the people with regular jobs.

No, I have not read the grimgar novels, otherwise many of my comments would be spoilers and would require spoiler tags.

Quote:
I don't know to what extent the political and economical situation of the Grimgar world has been thought out, but the series put a lot of emphasis on the value of specific things, so my mind wanders there. I hope the series will address it one way or another, I could see the conflict there write itself.

Sadly, at the speed the series is going we will not know before the last episde and since the series discs are selling below 5k (4,235 atm) I do not hold my breath for a second series.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
They have nobility in the world, but the anime has cut out anything that gives information on other characters so they haven't been mentioned. Elves haven't been mentioned much either.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why not? It looks to me like goblins and kobolds are on the same side ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend") and they probably have their own kings (or at least, tribal chieftains).

What do you know, maybe goblins hate kobolds too. In any case, what I'm saying that even if they ARE a State, the guilds are not, and that means there is no war.

Quote:
The thing is, if there was a peace treaty between "grimgar" and the goblin/kobolds, then these kind of skirmishes would not be tolerated, the mine would be admnistered by whoever the peace treaty deems as the rightful owner and the land around town would probably be owned by the local land(feudal?) lord.

Well, let's remember that this is a RPG-esque world, and a very unreal setting. Yes, most times we humans make peace and take measures when the other party doesn't respect it (Hitler said he wouldn't invade Poland and...). But why would make peace treats with monsters? Why would you care if they die? Most people don't. If there was someone in charge (like @sunflower points out), they would rather have the monsters cleansed and allow for humans to go safely and get their resources.

Quote:
But those cost money, lots of it ...

Oh, damn they do, but most feudal lords would consider it an investment. What if you gain lots of territories in the victory? Maybe you can reward your men with a little piece of it (I forgot how this contract for 'sub-feuds' is called but there was a word for it), gain their loyalty, and maybe you can count with them for training new men and strenghtening a new army.

Quote:
We do not know if there is someone kidnaping the kids and bringing them to grimgar, but there is a definitive effort from the local authority to make them fight their war (or sell them into prostitution).

Well, that's one of the big mysteries, if we DO know that there is someone behind the scenes, then your theory of war is considerable. Otherwise, it can be just the guilds doing whatever they want for good money.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
What do you know, maybe goblins hate kobolds too.

Beware, you have summoned my inner D&D geek:
Kobolds hate gnomes. Goblins hate dwarves.

Quote:
But why would make peace treats with monsters? Why would you care if they die? Most people don't. If there was someone in charge (like @sunflower points out), they would rather have the monsters cleansed and allow for humans to go safely and get their resources.

"Carthago delenda est" is proof you do not need to be a "monster" for a goverment to decide to wipe another society from earth. Therefore, if kobolds and goblins do have a language and some kind of self goverment, wouldn't it be the human thing to make long lasting peace? or I am misunderstanding what "to be human" means?

Quote:
Oh, damn they do, but most feudal lords would consider it an investment. What if you gain lots of territories in the victory? Maybe you can reward your men with a little piece of it (I forgot how this contract for 'sub-feuds' is called but there was a word for it), gain their loyalty, and maybe you can count with them for training new men and strenghtening a new army.

My bet would be that a much bigger war is being fought and that no resources can be spared to such "peaceful" frontline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19