• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:21 am Reply with quote
I know it's not a sequel, but was the first episode of Trigun Stampede geared towards fans of the original series, or does it seem like an okay starting point for someone unfamiliar with the franchise? I can't decide whether it's worth trying now, or if I'd be better off watching the original series first.

ab2143 wrote:
I’m getting tired of seeing random sockpuppet(?) accounts that were created years ago and with little activity suddenly complaining about the reviews for the ‘controversial anime of the season.’ This happens every season and it’s tedious. At the end of the day, they’re just reviews on a website? What’s the worst that could happen?

This won't be a popular opinion, but people need to stop feeding the trolls. What's the point in endlessly engaging with them? One or two replies should be more than enough to make clear that the back and forth would be a meaningless waste of time. That's not to say we should turn a blind eye to ignorance, injustice, and idiocy, but this is an online message board, and the people you're referring to are (supposedly) not even active members of the community.

When deciding whether or not to reply, it's important to consider WHY you would be engaging and whether it's even worth your time. Do you want to educate? Do you think you can change someone's mind? Do you want to vent? Do you want accolades? Do you think the conversation would be productive and/or enjoyable? I find myself stopping mid-reply when I contemplate the purpose and outcome of responding to (allegedly) bad faith comments, and honestly, it's saved me from picking a lot of needless online battles.

While I agree that it's tedious and annoying to see those comments, I think we'd be seeing less of them if people didn't respond. However, that's just my two cents.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
I know it's not a sequel, but was the first episode of Trigun Stampede geared towards fans of the original series, or does it seem like an okay starting point for someone unfamiliar with the franchise?

Honestly, I think Trigun Stampede is probably better for somebody who is unfamiliar with the franchise. It's drastically different from both the original manga and anime in ways that I think will leave a lot of old fans unsatisfied, but those things may not bother people who are new.
reynado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Oh, how much I wished that I lived in a different timeline, where anime fans weren't so juvenile and had such a repulsive reaction to 3DCG animation, and actually learned to appreciate it.

I refuse to be gaslit and told that this is actually 10/10 perfect animation and the peak of CG anime.

ESPECIALLY compared to Badland Rumbles which was gorgeous. Even the original 90s animation looked less goofy and more natural despite being near 30 years old

Of course anime fans are against this stuff, especially Trigun fans waiting for a Maximum adaption for decades. Just because the rest of the world's animators abandoned 2D doesn't mean anime fans having standards is a bad thing. I will always be glad and cherish 2D animation thriving in Japan still while animation titans like Disney abandoned it for computer generation films.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:51 am Reply with quote
reynado wrote:
Even the original 90s animation looked less goofy and more natural despite being near 30 years old

I haven't seen Stampede yet, but yet again I'd just like to remind people to remove those rose-tinted nostalgia glasses once in a while and remember how utter crap the first Trigun anime's animation was for like, 80% of the time. Sure, it was great in a select handful of key moments, where they concentrated the effort and budget. The rest was serviceable at best and "was this animated by a single person doing a late-night shift" at worst - with messed up proportions and perspectives, choppy movements, lack of details, and so on and so forth. It doesn't help if we remember that Trigun aired in the same period as Cowboy Bebop, because when it comes to animation quality, that comparison is so not in Trigun's favor, it's almost unfair.

I love the '90s Trigun anime. It's one of my favorite shows ever, but let's not pretend its animation was anything to write home about... at least anything other than "wow, this show is great despite of how it looks more often than not."
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
reynado wrote:
Even the original 90s animation looked less goofy and more natural despite being near 30 years old

I haven't seen Stampede yet, but yet again I'd just like to remind people to remove those rose-tinted nostalgia glasses once in a while and remember how utter crap the first Trigun anime's animation was for like, 80% of the time. Sure, it was great in a select handful of key moments, where they concentrated the effort and budget. The rest was serviceable at best and "was this animated by a single person doing a late-night shift" at worst - with messed up proportions and perspectives, choppy movements, lack of details, and so on and so forth. It doesn't help if we remember that Trigun aired in the same period as Cowboy Bebop, because when it comes to animation quality, that comparison is so not in Trigun's favor, it's almost unfair.

I love the '90s Trigun anime. It's one of my favorite shows ever, but let's not pretend its animation was anything to write home about... at least anything other than "wow, this show is great despite of how it looks more often than not."
THANK YOU! As someone who loves the original Trigun anime and thinks its style is strong enough to overcome its animation limitations most of the time, anyone who unironically calls that show "natural-looking" is either truly nostalgia-blinded or an outright liar. Especially the "less goofy" comment. OG Trigun, less goofy? Really? You sure about that, bud? You absolutely, 100% sure about that? Cause making a comment like that almost makes me think you haven't actually watched OG Trigun and are just jumping on the anti-CG bandwagon as an excuse to hate for clout.

I have my issues with Stampede- I wish it didn't go cosmic so soon and lose the great escalation of stakes the OG show had, the new guy is no replacement for Millie, I wish Meryl didn't feel quite so much like the naive girl who has to be talked down to by the big strong man at times- but the animation is unquestionably fantastic. From the goofy character moments to the bombastic action, it's one of the best-looking CG anime ever. Whatever else might be said about Stampede, Orange's artistry is self-evident in my opinion.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
If you mean spoiler[Carla Vargas, not anymore, the slave collar was removed in chapter 3.74 of the webnovel, and I assume that will happen in the light novel as well.]

I'm current in the LNs spoiler[it's happened already after she sacrifices herself to save the MC, but that'd be, anime wise, like 4~5 seasons in]. I was mostly addressing the anime
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
reynado wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Oh, how much I wished... anime fans weren't so juvenile and... actually learned to appreciate (3DCGI).

I refuse to be gaslit and told that this is actually 10/10 perfect animation and the peak of CG anime. ESPECIALLY compared to Badland Rumbles which was gorgeous...
Indeed nothing wrong with having a critical eye, especially when there are much better currently available examples like Arcane, but we should keep in mind that the latter took 6 years to make but anime has at most 6 months on average. It's not juvenile to criticize Trigun and no one should be forced to "just accept" poor quality but I think the issue is that 3DCGI with it's inherent realism falls off the cliff of cognitive dissonance easier than 2D animation because 2D continually visually reminds the viewer that what they are witnessing is a drawing and is in no way supposed to be realistic.

I would suggest doing like comparisons Trigun vs. Rusted Armors in which case Trigun seems close enough to average given the budget and time constraints are similar (?). The tools and techniques will have to improve a lot to get 3DCGI anime on similar level to 2D anime, which is actually 3D based FYI, without the heavy human intervention to create the 2D effect. It may require AI involvement and the recent article on AI Manga shows what screaming may ensue... Confused
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Indeed nothing wrong with having a critical eye, especially when there are much better currently available examples like Arcane, but we should keep in mind that the latter took 6 years to make

I’m gonna go out on a plausible limb here and put a big ol’ asterisk next to “6 years” and add “and who knows how many hours of paid or unpaid overtime”. The facial animations on Arcane alone are stunningly detailed, far and away beyond what most animation studios aim for (I’m still bitter the behind-the-scenes stuff showed like zero stuff about rigging), and are way closer to the end results of video games that rely on facial mocap rigs than anything else (except Fortiche staunchly goes on record about how all their stuff is animated “by hand”, so to speak.)
DJGoodNews

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I stuck it out through the miserable second half of In/Spectre season 1 because "It gets better" only to have season 2 begin with THAT episode.
onpufan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the CG animation debate, it could just be cultural difference. Everyone on JP Twitter is raving about Onimai as being the best animated thing this season with numerous posts getting over 100K likes complimenting the animation and staff. Meanwhile I could only find 1 noteworthy JP post even discussing Trigun with a couple thousand likes. Maybe since Americans grew up with CG they're used to it and more accepting of it. I mean, if you don't like CG then you pretty much have no American movies to watch since that's what everything is these days. And I would guess that a lot of anime fans on our side of the pond got into anime because they still do 2D animation and genres with animation that the west doesn't do anymore which is why you see more resistant to it.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
reynado wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Oh, how much I wished... anime fans weren't so juvenile and... actually learned to appreciate (3DCGI).

I refuse to be gaslit and told that this is actually 10/10 perfect animation and the peak of CG anime. ESPECIALLY compared to Badland Rumbles which was gorgeous...
Indeed nothing wrong with having a critical eye, especially when there are much better currently available examples like Arcane, but we should keep in mind that the latter took 6 years to make but anime has at most 6 months on average.

We also shouldn't forget that an average episode of Arcane most probably costs waaaaay more than any 3DCGI episode by Studio Orange, so I don't quite see the point comparing apples and oranges.

I've been an anime fan since the early 90s and I usually despise cheap 3DCGI in anime if they're implemented poorly (like I see so often in idol dance scenes), but Studio Orange's animation is really well done for something which wants to be seen and understood by its viewers as "anime". I'm not bothered by it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:51 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
Regarding the CG animation debate, it could just be cultural difference. Everyone on JP Twitter is raving about Onimai as being the best animated thing this season with numerous posts getting over 100K likes complimenting the animation and staff. Meanwhile I could only find 1 noteworthy JP post even discussing Trigun with a couple thousand likes. Maybe since Americans grew up with CG they're used to it and more accepting of it. I mean, if you don't like CG then you pretty much have no American movies to watch since that's what everything is these days. And I would guess that a lot of anime fans on our side of the pond got into anime because they still do 2D animation and genres with animation that the west doesn't do anymore which is why you see more resistant to it.

The problem is the subpar quality of Japanese CG. No matter how good it looks it will always lack in comparison to Western examples. I appreciate that someone over their keeps trying but the bar is getting raised every year and Japan just can't keep up.

I like how Trigun looks but I am not convinced it looks better than it would have with 2D animation. Maybe it will be worth it for the action but that shouldn't be the only selling point of CG.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
Regarding the CG animation debate, it could just be cultural difference. Everyone on JP Twitter is raving about Onimai as being the best animated thing this season with numerous posts getting over 100K likes complimenting the animation and staff.

“Everyone”? I haven’t seen a single Japanese artist I follow so much as mention Onimai. It might as well not exist to them. (Because they’re focused primarily on female-oriented series.)

Your bubble might be bigger than mine, but it’s still a bubble. Don’t make “cultural differences” assumptions based on it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm kind of on the same page as Richard on Attack on Trigun. I don't mind the new character designs or the CGI at all. But I think "insurance girls" was a more creative hook than "journalists," and I can't forgive the removal of Milly. "Vash and the girls" are the beating heart of the franchise, and they ripped it out. Also, wtf is Meryl wearing? A five year old would wear those shorts and sneakers, not a college grad trying to be taken as a serious professional. I'm not even going to go into how much I don't care for Roberto Di Niro.

One thing I always liked was that the slapstick in Trigun was fairly organic. When Meryl and Milly got into zany situations it was because Vash kept throwing them off balance, and Meryl had to learn how to bend to the situations. Here Meryl's comedy is because she's an idiot (see frantically dragging Vash around in all directions tethered by a rope) or ignorant.

I'll keep watching, but it's not looking hopeful that this is going to overcome their self-sabotage to rise to the challenge they set for themselves.

The Demon King That Wouldn't Die was also not a stellar first episode. There were a couple of the familiar fun OP antics, but I felt like all the exposition and the meteor shower of new names and titles overwhelmed everything else. I will not remember a single one of those until they're reintroduced again later, so why cram it all in at once?

Endo and Kobayashee Color Commentary Time sounded like it would be a lot of fun, but it really wasn't. Maybe it will be, but right now, I can't get too excited over it.

Beasts of Arrrghhh likewise has me on the fence. Except for the headless monster, I honestly can't remember much about it, though I think the last few minutes got my attention, so I'll give it another round to save itself.

Little Slave Fairy Sugar I actually kinda liked. The main characters seem like they have more depth than expected, and I'm interested to see what the series has in mind with this. It feels like it could go either way right now. I will say that her mother's sugar sculpture was absolutely stunning.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Indeed nothing wrong with having a critical eye, especially when there are much better currently available examples like Arcane, but we should keep in mind that the latter took 6 years to make but anime has at most 6 months on average.

We also shouldn't forget that an average episode of Arcane most probably costs waaaaay more than any 3DCGI episode by Studio Orange, so I don't quite see the point comparing apples and oranges...
I should have added that factor, but my intent was to set an example of 3DCGI that no one could fault and which is possible as a springboard to show what an unrealistic expectation that level of quality is for most 3DCGI, especially not anime, given other constraints as you mention. The conclusion I was hoping to draw readers to is that 3DCGI anime will always look sub-par in some measure until someone cracks the code on how to do it quickly and easily while not triggering our human visual perceptual system's aversion response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 21