• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:
I don't know why they consider nobara as cool character if the only thing she does is lose, another lost opportunity so that she can show off, but she is defeated in a humiliating way again

Getting sniped by someone like 100 yards away in the midst of delivering the final strike is not what I would call humiliating, honestly. More a humiliating win for Mai.

jdnation wrote:
I don't think JJK is making any grand statement about any of these things nor is intending to.

You could have just said this much instead of the accompanying long-winded diatribe on why 'progressive' and 'the patriarchy'(your air-quotes) are just a failing niche thing that only the West is dealing with. Rolling Eyes
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I really hoped James would talk about this in the review but if I'm not misremembering this is Nobaras third fight scene.
It's the second one that ended with her unconcious, the remaing one had her being hauled off to a hospital in the middle of it.
It's cool that the show said something about how society treats women, but I don't see how this is different from any other shounen show like Naruto or HeroAca in how it actually treats it's female cast. They might get a cool fight but they don't get to be as important to the plot as say, Megumi, who fought Sukuna once and now Sukuna wants to fight him again, setting up some juicy future plot and is probably going to affect his and Yuujis friendship in some way or another. Nobara just gets to show that's she's cool but that's it.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think JJK is making any grand statement about any of these things nor is intending to. It's just the perspective of how one particular character feels

Yeeah. I really don't think so. Jujutsu Kaisen has a pretty consistent track of being quite anticonservative. Satoru Gojo, who's arguably the core presenter of the series' thesis, straight out says that he wants to destroy the current system which is governed by old men disconnected from the current world. The manga has an habit of quoting from important cultural hallmarks in subversive ways and the characters it tends to treat with most respect tend to be subversive and considered outliers by the larger Jujutsu Society.

Later on we even learn spoiler[ that director Gakukanji literally consumes the lives of young people (we explicitly see a young woman) to maintain himself and the whole Jujutsu system standing and the main villain of the series wants to return the world to a mythical golden age].

Taking away from Jujutsu Kaisen's countercultural spirit is doing the series a disservice when it so insistently tries to argue for a world where the new generations can live without being held back by social rules they never agreed to.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Quote:
I don't think JJK is making any grand statement about any of these things nor is intending to. It's just the perspective of how one particular character feels

Yeeah. I really don't think so. Jujutsu Kaisen has a pretty consistent track of being quite anticonservative. Satoru Gojo, who's arguably the core presenter of the series' thesis, straight out says that he wants to destroy the current system which is governed by old men disconnected from the current world. The manga has an habit of quoting from important cultural hallmarks in subversive ways and the characters it tends to treat with most respect tend to be subversive and considered outliers by the larger Jujutsu Society.

Later on we even learn spoiler[ that director Gakukanji literally consumes the lives of young people (we explicitly see a young woman) to maintain himself and the whole Jujutsu system standing and the main villain of the series wants to return the world to a mythical golden age].

Taking away from Jujutsu Kaisen's countercultural spirit is doing the series a disservice when it so insistently tries to argue for a world where the new generations can live without being held back by social rules they never agreed to.

You've got some names mixed up there, and spoilers because this is not anywhere near anime territory spoiler[Tengen is the one who goes through vessels and is the pillar of Japan's jujutsu. Gakukanji is a bastard in his own conservative way but he's not consuming young women]. Either way that is probably better saved for the discussion section of the forum and not the talkback for the anime. But yeah, saying that JJK isn't making political statements is a very deliberate misreading, especially since that's a large part of it's appeal.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I really hoped James would talk about this in the review but if I'm not misremembering this is Nobaras third fight scene.
It's the second one that ended with her unconcious, the remaing one had her being hauled off to a hospital in the middle of it.
It's cool that the show said something about how society treats women, but I don't see how this is different from any other shounen show like Naruto or HeroAca in how it actually treats it's female cast. They might get a cool fight but they don't get to be as important to the plot as say, Megumi, who fought Sukuna once and now Sukuna wants to fight him again, setting up some juicy future plot and is probably going to affect his and Yuujis friendship in some way or another. Nobara just gets to show that's she's cool but that's it.

This. I liked this episode, I liked the ideas it presents, and I like the female characters and their fighting styles. But...all the female characters are fighting other female characters, and they’re all side characters. It’s a lot better than “Sakura and Ino fight each other in the Chunen Exams while flashing back to their falling out over crushing on the same boy (who couldn’t care less about either of them)” A lot better, don’t get me wrong. But I’d love to see JJK use their female characters better than Naruto did.

As for, why does Shonen Jump rarely center female characters or have plot points about feminism? Maybe it’s because the magazine has never had a female editor? Rolling Eyes
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-11-08/controverse-chez-shueisha-pour-etre-redactrice-en-chef-les-femmes-doivent-comprendre-le-c-ur-des-garcons/.152995
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
You've got some names mixed up there

I really did! Thanks for the correction. And, yeah, this more, dare I say, progressive edge to JJK is one of the things that I really want to see in the series. It has the potential to be something quite unique in WSJ and maybe even in shounen manga in general.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
As for, why does Shonen Jump rarely center female characters or have plot points about feminism? Maybe it’s because the magazine has never had a female editor? Rolling Eyes
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-11-08/controverse-chez-shueisha-pour-etre-redactrice-en-chef-les-femmes-doivent-comprendre-le-c-ur-des-garcons/.152995

I don't think a female editor is needed in order for Shonen Jump to feature more stories involving female leads or issues related to living as a female. What is needed is an editor that wants to feature those stories! Male, female, or whatever else that editor may identify as. However, I agree that it would be helpful if a female editor was selected at some point

On the other side, the Shonen Jump staff are wrong for thinking that a female writer would not be able to write something that appeals to their current demographic of young males. Many women have written stories and created worlds that appeal to the shonen jump demographic. The issue might be that the shonen jump staff don't want to consider those people.

The irony is that one of the most popular and well received manga in my lifetime is Full Metal Alchemist, a story and world created by a female, and that is loved by many males (and females). Sadly, this female writer had to (or just felt more comfortable with) disguise her name as a male name so that it would be more likely for her series to be selected for publication. At least that's the narrative I've interpreted.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

I think people in the West get the absurd idea that such, 'Progressive' things are never discussed or talked about in the world outside themselves. But they'd often be surprised to know that they have and are. But are by and large often rejected, if only because the West itself has been an evaluating testing ground for years for these ideas and the rest of the world studies the effects that these ideas are having, and weigh the good and the bad and largely come away with a negative view of Western progressivism; which they see as just another sort of imperialist idea that is being forced upon them because 'The West is da Best!' and they are often bribed to have it shoved down their throats alongside aid money.

So other countries aren't stupid or ignorant, they largely tend to remain more conservative, because they witnessing how Western society is dealing with it, and are weighing the pros and cons of Western 'progress' and then picking and choosing what ideas they feel are best suited to them, appropriating them to best suit their culture, religion, and values, whilst circumventing the social and immoral problems that progressivism has produced.

This is the exact kind of argument that is often used to erase LGBTQ and other marginalized people in many countries. They're derided as "Western" stuff that has nothing to do with their culture and so people who don't fit into those traditional cultures don't even have a leg to stand on when they are striving to improve their lot.

I agree with you that people shouldn't simply swallow Western ideas whole, but many times the same people you mention who pick and choose what parts of Western culture to adopt , the ones who are already on the top of the heap socially, are the same people who are using said Western culture as an argument against the very same people that progressivism is there to help.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks the 3D environment thing is jank? It's nauseating and looks terrible when 2D characters are moving in it. It's like someone slapped an MS Paint drawing instead of Photoshopping it. Hot Take I guess.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Quote:

Even more so in the recent chapter, where Gege makes an even more blatant commentary on how women are expected to behave. Or even in the anime, Nanami critiquing that value of his office job vs that of a bread maker.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't really enjoy this episode that much. It wasn't bad but I felt like the direction was mediocre in some spots and I ended up not feeling as if I gained anything more than what I would reading the manga unlike most of the other episodes.

I'm happy the exam has finally been properly interrupted though, because now we can move on to my favourite scenes in the arc next week.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
One thing that seemed strange to me was that when Toge said "Stop" to stop Hanami, Megumi and Noritoshi were not affected. I know that it's been stablished that the Kyoto team is protecting their ears but it was never stated that the Tokyo team (or at least Megumi) was doing the same. It's not that big of a deal, it's just that I would have liked them to have addressed it.

Also, the conversation over the phone between Toge and Miwa lasted only about 10 seconds but when we cut to Toge and see the phone it said that it lasted over 1 minute and 30 seconds?! I guess Toge just like to listen to people sleeping...

Also, the Jujutsu Stroll kinda spoiled that Hanami has an arm under that piece of cloth. I was expecting something more striking or gruesome.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:11 am Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
One thing that seemed strange to me was that when Toge said "Stop" to stop Hanami, Megumi and Noritoshi were not affected. I know that it's been stablished that the Kyoto team is protecting their ears but it was never stated that the Tokyo team (or at least Megumi) was doing the same. It's not that big of a deal, it's just that I would have liked them to have addressed it.

Toge can target his Cursed Speech. We see that during the initial fight against Todo and again here. The mechanics is not that of a curse that affects all that hear it but one that affects all that Toge talks to.

7777ale7777 wrote:
Also, the conversation over the phone between Toge and Miwa lasted only about 10 seconds but when we cut to Toge and see the phone it said that it lasted over 1 minute and 30 seconds?! I guess Toge just like to listen to people sleeping...

He wanted to make sure that Miwa was affected by the cursed speech. Since there was a chance that she was protecting herself, she could've pretended to pass out and then come back with a surprise attack.

I concur that this episode feels weaker than the others. In the larger context of the series, it's easy to see why it's here but it breaks the flow of the events before. I also don't exactly like how all the fights are pretty much mirror matches. It does make sense thematically, sure, but it's a bit on the nose. Fortunately, soon we'll arrive at the end of this arc which is really, really good.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Not only can Megumi understand Toge but he can also decipher Gojo’s hilarious drawings of the special-grade cursed spirits.

I couldn’t stop laughing at Gojo’s drawing of Hanami and Jogo. He even used crayons!! I can imagine him lying on the floor and humming whilst colouring them in

I’m glad we got to see more of Inumaki in this episode. His cursed ability is pretty cool. It’s a shame about the drawbacks
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
7777ale7777 wrote:

Toge can target his Cursed Speech. We see that during the initial fight against Todo and again here. The mechanics is not that of a curse that affects all that hear it but one that affects all that Toge talks to.

I don't think Jujutsu Kaisen is super great about explaining the powers, I also thought his speak affected everyone who heard him and that that's the reason he only speaks in onigiri fillings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 16