• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Teased With 'The Lost Session' Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
TsukimoriKyouki wrote:
either the acting is really bad or this is supposed to be really cheesy?

I'm sure the dialog would sound better in Japanese, where one couldn't understand how cheesy it is. Also, if it weren't in "squeeze a bunch into two minutes" mode, with space between the jokes (visual and verbal), and a bit of setup.

I like the editing and transitions a ton.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
My only issue is this teaser has our trio trying to out-quip each other, and so for me there is no contrast in their personalities. John Cho comes off the best as Spike, but Jet & Faye feel off to me because they are trying to match his energy and delivery.

People call that Joss Whedon Syndrome. I'm not a fan of it, but it's to be expected with most modern shows and movies, I think.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I felt like I was watching one of those Marvel movies. The chemistry reminded me ofGuardians of the Galaxy.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely a different interpretation on the characters but I'm willing to stick around to see how it goes.

I definitely prefer how Spike's swagger was portrayed in the anime compared to how this live action adaptation deals with that. Spike usually smiles a lot more in the face of danger at least in the anime. He wasn't always so serious mode (only a few times) in the anime. Again, that's just a difference compared to the live action adaptation, not necessarily a bad thing. The same can be said with Faye and Jet.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it looks promising. Though I almost feel like John Cho's stunt double is too good at martial arts/acrobatics. He's so good that he kind of sticks out like a sore thumb when intercut with a regular person just trying his best but clearly doesn't know martial arts like John Cho.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they really get how how Bebop's action formula works.
Jet is rarely on the field, and Faye is either shooting or inside her own ship, while Spike is doing whatever it is he does, usually shooting. A good chunk of the action in Bebop are chase scenes, especially in their space craft.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I was a little disappointed that the soundtrack music was straight out of the anime, though there's only so much you can do in two minutes (and the music is telegraphing things --- like the appearance of Vicious --- adding another layer of meaning).

I'm really hoping for many new Kanno pieces.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Not great, but better than I expected. Reminds me of Speed Racer.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice teaser. I'm glad it's standalone and I hope the show itself isn't in the style of the teaser, which was neat and creative, but I wouldn't want a whole season of that.

The more I see of Cho's Spike, the more I'm warming up to it.

I still can't really judge Jet yet.

However, Faye comes off the worst. But maybe they are all playing it up for this teaser?

Faye's charm comes from being able to act sexy and seductive when on the job, and then really corny and panicky when things get screwed up, but also laid back on the ship as she acclimatizes herself to the crew and mellows out more.

You can tell Cho is applying Spike's laid back sarcasm, and likes to be passive aggressive to goad others into a fight that he enjoys. But Faye here just comes off as a 'you go girl' character rather than the sort who prefers to be crafty and avoid head-on confrontations. The only thing she should want is to sneak up on the bounty and get the money and to get out of there.

Anyway, I'll still watch it...
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least this show's gotten one thing right, and that's that Mustafa Shakir makes a great straight man for the jokes. I laughed.

A lot of other things about this trailer were sort of weird in presentation and tone, but I have no idea if that will be indicative of the actual show or not.

And yeah, I was also thinking the difference between John Cho and the stunt double was a little too obvious (which is honestly something I rarely notice).

dm wrote:
I'm really hoping for many new Kanno pieces.

Agreed. As much a I think having the original soundtrack is what's really going to make this series, it would be a shame if Kanno didn't take this opportunity to compose some new music for it too.
photocyclist58

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
Production value is good. Action is good. Hopefully there is no profanity in the show. I don't remember any in the original. It's weak when profanity is added in to make it edgier. It takes away from the dialog. I look forward to its release.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
If the anime was better in English, it's only fitting that the live-action Netflix series is better in Japanese Wink
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I feel a bit better about this teaser than the first one. I think the style and direction they're going for will fit the light-hearted, adventuresome, goofy Bebop content (which I remember as most of it) really well.

On the other hand:

- I don't think this style will fit the heavy, darker scenes well. I shouldn't get "Scott Pilgrim thinking about an Evil Ex" vibes from Spike's memories of Vicious; that's just not even in the right emotional ballpark

- I think the acting from 3 leads feels kind of off. John Cho, especially; he comes across as more of an uncomfortable goofball sidekick than a suave, devil-may-care badass. I think a lot of that's in his posture and facial expressions, but not really certain where it's coming from

Sobe wrote:
I definitely prefer how Spike's swagger was portrayed in the anime compared to how this live action adaptation deals with that. Spike usually smiles a lot more in the face of danger at least in the anime.

Ooh, this is a good, more specific point. I definitely felt something was off with both his posture and facial expressions, but this helps me narrow in on it a bit; he doesn't really feel like he's having fun, and he feels stiff/tense rather than fluid -- he either looks like he's concentrating intently or holds himself in a way that seems a bit anxious/uncomfortable, or just sort of has no expression at all. But the Spike I remember from the show spent most of his time grinning, especially in a fight, and his posture was constantly a kind of relaxed, flowing slouch (also especially when fighting, heh), not some kind of tensed-up martial stance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2