• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Force's 3rd Episode Modified After Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Y'all are some robots, I swear.

The idea of editing the fire colors is pretty obviously to lessen the discomfort from a show that is by all accounts going to be brimming with fire imagery - burning buildings, smoke plumes, burning humanoids etc. While yes, it doesn't change the in-universe fact that it's fire, it does a lot to distance itself from real-life fires, with the goal of not directly reminding viewers of a particularly discomforting recent event. It's the same reason plenty of movies immediately post-9/11 digitally removed the World Trade Center from shots of NYC.

If you're not personally bothered by that imagery, that's fine. Everyone's reaction is different. But saying stuff like "I don't see the point" or "they shouldn't change it this is ridiculous!" is at best myopic and at worst horribly insensitive.

By tip-toeing around the incident, it serves as a remainder, as it only brings more attention to it. Changing colors of flames won't change the fact that they are still flames, hence why I don't see the point in doing this.
geepee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm okay with that and understand it,as long as the BDs are intact.
Cave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been crying over KyoAni since it happened and I respected that they delayed the recent episode. I think that was a good choice.

But this is just honestly going too far.

Last edited by Cave on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to echo the statement that changing the color of flames really does nothing to reduce the impact. Flames aren't like blood, where it can be written off as some kind of goop that comes out of a wounded non-human creature; flames have a very distinct shape and purpose, which changing the color does nothing for, especially in a series about firefighters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Did they actually change the color of the flames? I just skimmed through the episode really quick (I can't watch it until tomorrow with Husband) and the flames look the same color as they always do.

Unless they just decided to edit the new character color to a deeper red color only.

Mind you I skimmed through the dub and I don't know if that was edited also, but I'd assume so.

This does make me question how they will handle the next batch of episodes because spoiler[it literally involves a firefighter setting people on fire] and I can't imagine that might not bother some people.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Turns out they just put a huge black bar over a part of the ed.

The color change probably refers to a flashback where the fire is black and white.
Other than that all other fire was the usual color.
scowler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The good news is, Fire Force is already a solidly written show showing genuine sensitivity and sympathy for the fictional victims of these Infernal fire cases. Anyone who has seen Episode 2 would agree. The scope of additional edits they need to make in the KyoAni arson aftermath is therefore small.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Even if changing the flames' colors does absolutely nothing to lessen the impact on any of the show's viewers that might be affected, I still appreciate the show's staff doing something, anything to acknowledge the tragedy that just occurred and trying to process it along with the rest of us.

I'll admit, if they went ahead with the show as before, no changes to the flames, it wouldn't have bothered me.

But now when I watch the show, it will actually mean something extra to me, something more. The change in the show will be a reminder to me that people made that choice, went out of their way to deal with this awful senseless loss, and even if it's just a tiny thing, they tried to do something to make it a little bit less terrible.

All by itself, that makes the effort worthwhile IMO.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I had problems getting back to watch anime after the incedent and I can totally understand the discomfort most people feel when watching a show about fires after such a disaster.
On the other hand I don't think there is any way to make this show more bearable.

All in all this show just aired at the worst possible time and I don't think there is anything anyone could do to fix that other than timetravelling and airing it long before (or just stopping the disaster, duh).
KupoChris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Y'all are some robots, I swear.

The idea of editing the fire colors is pretty obviously to lessen the discomfort from a show that is by all accounts going to be brimming with fire imagery - burning buildings, smoke plumes, burning humanoids etc. While yes, it doesn't change the in-universe fact that it's fire, it does a lot to distance itself from real-life fires, with the goal of not directly reminding viewers of a particularly discomforting recent event. It's the same reason plenty of movies immediately post-9/11 digitally removed the World Trade Center from shots of NYC.

If you're not personally bothered by that imagery, that's fine. Everyone's reaction is different. But saying stuff like "I don't see the point" or "they shouldn't change it this is ridiculous!" is at best myopic and at worst horribly insensitive.

Another apt comparison that comes to mind is the theater shooting scene from the movie Gangster Squad being scrapped and re-shot following the Aurora theater massacre.

From the films director, "You don't want it out there if it is going to be hurtful to people.”

Also, i watched the ep and it didn't seem to be edited very much outside the flashback and the ed. That said, i still kinda had a hard time getting through it without thinking of last weeks tragedy.
Nutaris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I have a great deal of sympathy for KyoAni and I understand that the content of this show is definitely uncomfortable to a lot of people right now. However, I cannot condone this kind of censorship.

Canceling the show for the season and airing it after 3+ months has passed is much better than compromising the content or themes of the show. Fire Force really felt like it had the potential to be incredible but I have completely lost interest in seeing an inferior version of what the creators intended. Very disappointing.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Nutaris wrote:
I have a great deal of sympathy for KyoAni and I understand that the content of this show is definitely uncomfortable to a lot of people right now. However, I cannot condone this kind of censorship.

Canceling the show for the season and airing it after 3+ months has passed is much better than compromising the content or themes of the show. Fire Force really felt like it had the potential to be incredible but I have completely lost interest in seeing an inferior version of what the creators intended. Very disappointing.

They didn't really censor anything. I literally was comparing scenes to the manga, and the fire color is still the same in the show. That's not to say they won't later but I'm starting to think people are commenting thinking big changes where made to the episode and it wasn't.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure people actually understand the meaning of the word "censor."

As a verb (which is how it's being used), it means thus: "to examine and act upon as a censor" or "to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor".

This refers back to the noun version, which refers to a person (the censor): "an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds"

A company looking at its own project and saying "hey, parts of this are going to be uncomfortable, let's edit them," is not censorship. If they were forced to do so by the government or another authoritative body (note the phrase "for the purpose of suppressing" in the definition), that would be one thing. But this was their choice, done of their own free will. There's no censorship involved.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Maybe people should actually watch the episode instead of going on long tirades about how the source material has been ruined or compromised or that they don't want an "inferior" version.

I watched it and, if I hadn't read this article beforehand, i wouldn't have known anything was changed. I'm not even sure I noticed any changes, unless they meant the new character's fire being less defined and fire-looking; but almost all the fire looked about the same. And even if it didn't I don't see how blue fire or fuzzy fire or whatever would "ruin" the series in any way
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Nutaris wrote:

Yeah I agree with others, what is described in this article is not censorship at all.

If you actually watch episode 3, I can't imagine you still harboring any doubts that the show is pulling back or compromising. I don't know what the show looked like before they made the changes, but man is that episode beautifully made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3