• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Nineteen19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:42 am Reply with quote
The To-y LD is notorious for being one of the hardest to find. I don't think i've ever seen it go on Yahoo Japan Auctions. At least the VHS is easy to find.

Another title that could be considered similiar is Birth which is basically a long 80 minute music video with some dialogue intertwined. Made in 1984, it was used to showcase experimental yet cutting edge animation.

Nineteen19 also reminded me that despite the collapse of the economy, the early 90's had a wealth of great to exceptional OVA's. I'd love to see Blue Butterfly Fish (1994) which marked the eventual end to the OVA explosion and IMO the last great OVA of it's time.

When i visit Japan I'm going to try and clear out most of their bargain bins looking for the old and obscure.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

To-y is another all-time favorite of mine. The only reason I haven't written about it yet is that I'm trying to space out the really hard-to-find stuff. I am insanely jealous of your friends ownership of the LD, but at least I have all the songs. (Took buying 3 CD's to do it!) The sheer number of really huge musicians on that soundtrack is likely what is dooming any possible reissue.

I can relate since I ran out and bought all the Barbee Boys CDs after watching the OVA. Kyoko is one of my all time favorite singers and I was really pleased with the amazing Boogiepop Phantom ED song. I'm really glad that this thread has spawned since it reminded me of a stack of CDs that I have not listened to for far too long. Please keep the wonderful Buried Treasure column going!
AkiraKaneda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Although I never really cared for Nineteen at all (and I gave it a D+ on my website), the fansub from the early 90s is sitting in the drawer right next to me. I only wish I had the equipment to transfer it so you all could see what you're (not) missing.
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow i just found the T-oy LD on Ebay.

Good luck to anyone who wants it.
strongbad123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I love Buried Treasure, it has to be my favorite column on ANN. The way you described your love of everything 80's is eerily similar to mine, especially considering i was born in 1987.

The show sounds really interesting though I doubt i'll ever see it.
momopi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm Momopi from Group Hooseki/ROC/OTW/etc. My subtitle partner did the original nineteen fansub many years ago, and I released updated versions through the 1990's. The last version that I released had (I think) Elementalors (subbed), Nineteen (subbed), and Big Blue Fish (raw) on the same tape. The SVHS master was sent to several distributors, including Technogirls.

I still have the original LD somewhere, but the script, subtitle equipment, and amiga computer is... either gone or scattered in storage boxes. I was also given a couple CD's with music from the show.

The anime is pretty short and doesn't really cover the full story presened in the manga (12 volumes). Dragon voice was working on scan-translations of the manga, but I think they only got the first 2 chapters done. ehehe.

The 1980s was a wonderful era of glam rock, booming economy, and beginnings of mass-market home PC's. I recall watching KOR tapes raw (rentals) with some Japanese students during lunch time back in high school. By 1990s I was busy subtitling KOR and Maison Ikkoku on my Amiga 1000 with 2 floppy drives, A1300 genlock, and 2 VCR's. I couldn't afford to splurge on LD's back then so my first subs were done via tape to tape. Eventually I got a real job and blew thousands of dollars on LD's and equipment (A2000 w/Supergen 2000S). A decade later analog fansubs were obsolete and so went my hobby into retirement.

I still have many fond memories of staying up all night doing crash subtitle sessions with my friends to make tapes for showing at AX. Unfortunately the norms (fates) has not been kind to us, as we drifted apart, parted on bad terms, or even passed on to the next life. Only memories, feelings of sadness, and fading passions remain.

Treasure your youth and the years that would never return. When you're old, memories is all that remains.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
momopi wrote:
I still have many fond memories of staying up all night doing crash subtitle sessions with my friends to make tapes for showing at AX. Unfortunately the norms (fates) has not been kind to us, as we drifted apart, parted on bad terms, or even passed on to the next life. Only memories, feelings of sadness, and fading passions remain.

Treasure your youth and the years that would never return. When you're old, memories is all that remains.

Wow. Thanks for posting. As a former fansubber of that era, I share many of the memories you describe (although, not being very convention-savvy, we were a little less social). I'm sorry to say I've completely lost touch with nearly everyone from that time in my life.

My youth wasn't all that great, frankly. My life is much better now, and I keep making every second count. I've found much more to like in adulthood than youth ever brought me. I wish everyone could be so lucky.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
momopi wrote:

The 1980s was a wonderful era of glam rock, booming economy, and beginnings of mass-market home PC's. I recall watching KOR tapes raw (rentals) with some Japanese students during lunch time back in high school. By 1990s I was busy subtitling KOR and Maison Ikkoku on my Amiga 1000 with 2 floppy drives, A1300 genlock, and 2 VCR's. I couldn't afford to splurge on LD's back then so my first subs were done via tape to tape. Eventually I got a real job and blew thousands of dollars on LD's and equipment (A2000 w/Supergen 2000S). A decade later analog fansubs were obsolete and so went my hobby into retirement.

Wow it's great to here from you! I believe I watched your Maison subs (aren't you those guys from Canada?) back around 1991. Back then I was best friends with Robert (Ranma Project) who had copies of the Maison subs. I remember also using an Amiga (2000 and eventually 3000) to sub anime. That was the machine of choice although Kent and friends subbed Bubblegum Crisis (pre-Animeigo) on his Apple 2GS. I got rid of all my video tapes back in 1999 and never got into the downloading culture, but fortunately a good amount of stuff is available in R1. I do miss Studiio Scorche's Giant Gorg subs.

Wow this is nostalgic. I remember also watching KOR every week when it would be aired along side with City Hunter!
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
momopi wrote:
The last version that I released had (I think) Elementalors (subbed), Nineteen (subbed), and Big Blue Fish (raw) on the same tape.

That very tape was still being distributed until July 2006 when one of the last VHS distributors finally shutdown. They were called Random Masters.
momopi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
No we're not based in Cananda, but I do know quite a few people from there who was in the scene back then. I also had some association with folks from SUGOI anime.

The first person to fansub and release Maison Ikkou was probably William Chow of Arctic Animation, based in Vancouver, Canada. William's idea of subbing is "quick & dirty", but with so many episodes, you couldn't spend a lot of time fine-tuning each episode with speed.

We remastered some MI episodes with cleaned-up or completely re-translated scripts, including the last 16 episodes in early to mid 1990's. If memory serves, William Chow started on an Amiga 500, then later Macintosh. We started with Amiga's running Turbo Titler, then later switched to JACOsub.

I think the Amiga 3000 could do high-res without flicker? We never had an Amiga 3000. I started off with A1000, then purchased A500, A2000, and A600 (all used). My primary genlock was the Supergen 2000S and the Supergen SX (external).

I think I blew over $10k on equipment, import LD's, SVHS tapes, and various other anime related stuff back then. Today the stuff is mostly worthless in monetary value, LoL.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
Indeed, the name I was thinking of is Arctic Animation. A few of my friends kept in touch with those guys in Canada who struck some masters for us. I believe Robert's gear easily exceeded 10k as well since he used professional dual SVHS decks which alone cost a few thousand. I suppose I fell out of the fan sub arena around 1991 or 1992 when most of the gang around here were busy organizing Animecon and the first Anime Expo. Arctic's subbing was very quick and dirty, but I restrained myself from using such adjectives since I was not sure if you would be offended. I remember Neil Nadelman's amazing 0080 War in the Pocket subs, and always smile when I see his name during the ending credits of all these legit R1 releases. I'm sure there are a ton of people that are within 1-2 degrees of separation from the early 1990s since fandom was so small back then.
ae86fan

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if a VHS rip will show up online somewhere.

One can only hope it does and that someone decides to fansub it. It sounds like an interesting little movie.

Quote:
I hate writing about anime people have no chance of seeing; I feel like a tease.

It was disappointing to see that R6 rating, but I'm glad I'm at least aware of its existence. Maybe this will result in someone finding a copy and fansubbing it. I think this is one of those cases where it could be justified as there is no chance in hell this will ever get licensed.

I know this is probably a very old post but I do happen to own a fansubbed copy of the this very rare OAV. I managed to get a VHS copy back in the early days of fansubbing. It indeed is a very obscure title. Soon as I find it, I'm thinking of doing a VHS>DVD copy so maybe this can be shared with everyone who is wanting to get their hands on a copy.
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
yeah that'd be much appreciated by all of us Very Happy
although what did the article say, that the manga version is like 12 volumes long?? and the ova is only 45 min? Shocked
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It would be very interesting to watch one of those lost treasures from the golden age of the OVA. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
I've uploaded it on to my site.the fansub of Nineteen19 on to my site.

You can watch it and read the review for it over at Anime Classic Reviews

Enjoy!

Last edited by Area88 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3