• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In this topic, we post the lesser known/appreciated Anime,

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Any series that hasn't made it to the US is underrated. I should know, since I've seen series some friends there haven't. Guys, you're missing lots of great series Anime cry (although well, Colombia's really low on anime -_-U)

Not necessarily there is a lot of show in Japan that never get licensed because they are just that bad. But in that context there are lots of shows that are amazing that have never come across the Pacific.

First noted is Comedy, it's a strange short that is very powerful. And it's fairly easily to find on your local youtube. It's only ten minutes, so your not wasting your time even if you don't like it.....bakes some cookie while you watch.

Personally I think that Monster while the series is know by more people on this site, I think overall it's a series that hasn't receive enough praise. The only drawback to Monster is that it's 74....and yet Monster takes strength in this as well. Monster is an anime adaptation of the Manga by the same name by Naoki Urasawa. Madhouse did an extremely faithful version of this show by having the show be the exact same as the manga. The difference music. Monster soundtrack has the ability to convene so many different feeling, to a spooky haunted house to children playing soccer. If your looking for the ultimate suspense anime look no further.

Also i think it should be mention Requiem from the darkness a series that was license by Geneon; I personally don't think that it receives enough forum chat consider how well done the anime is. Not only that the backgrounds and other art for this series are one of a kind, it reminds me of Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo where the clothes are one of a kind in design. Although RftD has self contain stories, it's better if you watch the series from start to beginning.

Delta
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
FFVI is my favorite FF, by the way (gotta' love that double Genji Glove with two maxed Atma Weapons Anime hyper = pwnage).

Hmm... Have you played FFX? 'Cause then we have a conflict. FFX is, by far, the best game "evah."

TestamentSaki wrote:
Any series that hasn't made it to the US is underrated. I should know, since I've seen series some friends there haven't. Guys, you're missing lots of great series Anime cry (although well, Colombia's really low on anime -_-U)

No, seriously, no. Not every series. There are many BAD series. Like "Love Love?". I can't remember why it was bad though *hmm*, think it was because the story was zero, and the comedy was on a low level.

But most series not taken to US is good, and they're truly underrated, yes.
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:

Actually this doesn't make any sense. In order for something to be underrated, you have to have seen it or else it would be blatantly ignorant to underrate something you HAVEN'T seen. Underrated means you underrate something due to the opinion that you think it's rated less than it should be. This goes the same in the other way with overrated. It's almost like saying " this Anime was not as good as what people said it was so it's overrated" or vice versa. See why I don't like to use these two words? You usually can't "underrate" something if there is not a general public or someone else to disagree with you because then you would just be rating it indifferently. here are some examples:

TMoHS - this Anime in my opinion, is overrated because a lot of people think it's better than what I think it is. And because I have my opinion or stand on how I see this series as compared to the general public, I can see my self in a lower mean, scoring this show than the mean of the population who scores this show. Thus, I am "underrating" to YOU people and think myself that this show is 'overrated".

Planetes - this Anime in my opinion, is underrated because a lot of people only think of it as mediocre. I however, have a higher opinion of this show and think it's underrated while the general mean of the public thinks it's overrated.

These two examples are just basically a statistical point of view on how you can approach a general idea. But in reality when you post and have individuals reponding to other individuals, and it can become a ping pong between two people saying to each other so and so is overrated and so and so is underrated ultimately resulting in a conflict; where both ends misunderstand what underrated or overrated means and thinking of it as almost saying " this anime is not as good as what people say because it is overrated" and "this anime is not as good as what people say because it's underrated".

Now what does all this have to do with what you said? Absolutely nothing because whether the viewers consider something overrated or overrated has to do with what their opinion is of the Anime compared to other people. Just because an Anime is not released in the States does not mean it is underrated. it simply means that a lot of people haven't seen. But within the minority of the people who HAVE seen it, can stll have a general positive view point and can in fact, still be underrated in YOUR POINT OF VIEW.

You need to understand that whether something is overrated or underrated is your own opinion on something as compared to a person or a general group (ie mean rating of something). Thus, you absolutely can't think something is underrated if you haven't seen it. With that, the people who haven't seen it, can't underrated the Anime that's not out in the States, and thus, the view of the Anime will only be influenced by the people who have seen it.

I know I threw out a lot and some doesn't make sense because these two words are used in such wacked out ways by people that they lose their real meaning. This is why I try to avoid using these words in case I had to try and explain myself. Too easy to misunderstand

Last edited by Lord Kefka on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, seriously, no. Not every series. There are many BAD series. Like "Love Love?". I can't remember why it was bad though *hmm*, think it was because the story was zero, and the comedy was on a low level.

umm.. because of the cat ears the guys have?...-__-a

Speaking of bad series. Anyone seen Genocyber?,,,,ugh.... It feels like I got punched in the gut right when I said that...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2