• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Teases Ryuk's Silhouette

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
That's a pretty good comparison with Riverdale. I feel like that's the CW effect in general, but maybe this is also the Netflix effect. They have kind of similar/parallel feel in what they seem to be going for with their adaptions and originals.

I agree with both of you. Creative liberties are cool, but also keep the spirit of it. And I liked the first (two?) JP Death Note movies and how they handled themselves. (From what I remember anyway.)

My worry is how they'll go for edge factor and neglect some of the sillier bits for trying to make this. . . well, I don't even completely know. x');

Hopefully they can retain the spirit of the show though. And I've seen people mention that they hope they don't treat Light as some anti-hero or sympathetic figure instead of the privileged, narcissistic youth that he is. There was a great message and theme around Light, and I hope they keep that more than anything.

Well, The Godfather and Breaking Bad were both critically acclaimed successes with protagonists following similar rise-and-fall trajectories, so I think Americans can appreciate a villain protagonist. And Game of Thrones is full of such characters too.

The problem with Light, however, is that there's a bunch of people who sympathize with him and emotionally relate to him more than anyone else in the series. In the other cases, you are shown just how destructive their behavior gets, but Light doesn't really get truly punished for anything he does until the end. Until then, Death Note is perfect wish fulfillment for angry, frustrated teenagers who want violent revenge on the world. I have enough faith in the people who made this movie that they don't interpret Light in this way though.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

Most of us aren't masochists. With one garbage American remake after another butchering a foreign work, weather it be British, Japanese or whatever, I don't know where you find the optimism for Death Note.

No fan of the US version of The Office or of the Harry Potter films, I take it?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

Most of us aren't masochists. With one garbage American remake after another butchering a foreign work, weather it be British, Japanese or whatever, I don't know where you find the optimism for Death Note.

Edge of Tomorrow was a fantastic film that did it's own thing while being based on a Japanese book/manga.

Speed Racer was a great anime adaption that kept in the spirit of the original show. (The haters can suck it.)

Every once in a while an adaption can go well. A lot of times it can go horrible. This is not something that is unique only to American adaptions of Japanese source material. This is something true for EVERYTHING that was ever based on a book or comic. Some people love the movies more than the comics/books, and vice versa. Most people have learned to separate the two and enjoy the movie adaptions for what they are. The Shining is a great Kubrick film, but it is NOT true to the original Stephen King book. Constantine was a movie that was a HORRIBLE adaption of the comic, yet a lot of fans still found fun in it. Just because it's not a scene for scene retelling doesn't mean people can't like both.

If it really will pain you that much to watch it, just don't watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2