• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Dragon Ball Super, Plans English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
As someone who heavily dislikes DBZ and Super (the original DB was great), I will say that I am happy for the fans who have longed for this to happen and I sincerely hope they'll be pleased with the dub.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope Funimaton streams the episodes on their site as opposed to doing it Toonami, since Toonami takes a lot of breaks and do pointless marathons of old episodes
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Lovely, now the doors to disappointment have been opened to fans of the dub as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps now they can improve the subtitles on the Japanese version by putting Steve Simmons on it. And I hope the English dub is done with the same care the dub for Kai was, with attention to fidelity to the Japanese version. I don't need them getting cute with the script and adding a bunch of nonsense Funimation writers decided was cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Perhaps now they can improve the subtitles on the Japanese version by putting Steve Simmons on it. And I hope the English dub is done with the same care the dub for Kai was, with attention to fidelity to the Japanese version. I don't need them getting cute with the script and adding a bunch of nonsense Funimation writers decided was cool.

They said they wanted the dub as perfect as possible also will be dubbed at Ot5000 not FUNi have much more faith with them and Sabat.
Karasu416

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Very excited to hear this though, but Buu saga Kai when? I want that full collection! I'll make do with super though, considering I'm quite enjoying it.

Kon'Doriano wrote:
As someone who heavily dislikes DBZ and Super (the original DB was great), I will say that I am happy for the fans who have longed for this to happen and I sincerely hope they'll be pleased with the dub.

Honestly, there needs to be more people like you. This brightened my day to see that there are still people out there that respect that people have different tastes and have the whole to each their own mentality without verbally slamming what they may not like. Thank you.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Considering the rate of Funi's simuldubs...Funi could possible have the first ep of the dub out in the next couple of weeks?

Toei would probably much rather Funimation have a TV deal set for Super than just put the dub up on their website.

So it could go one of three ways. Toonami could air it immediately after they finish the Cell arc of Kai, which would put it at January (this is unlikely, as two months for a bombshell like Super is a bit of short notice for Toonami). It could air on a completely different channel, which may put it at any point next year, and is actually the most likely outcome at the moment. Or, it may have to wait until 2018 once Toonami airs Buu Kai starting next year (which, much as Funimation likes to pretend they dont have it, its been confirmed numerous times by the VAs that it was recorded quite some time ago).

Last edited by veemonjosh on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
I hope Funimaton streams the episodes on their site as opposed to doing it Toonami, since Toonami takes a lot of breaks and do pointless marathons of old episodes

They may end up doing both. Dimension W went on their site a little while after each episode aired on Toonami.

My question is whether they will end up doing a simuldub. There will certainly be interest, but it would be a pretty big commitment, both for Funimation and for any actors involved.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

They may end up doing both. Dimension W went on their site a little while after each episode aired on Toonami.

My question is whether they will end up doing a simuldub. There will certainly be interest, but it would be a pretty big commitment, both for Funimation and for any actors involved.

Don't think they can anyway since a some of the cast live not in Texas like Sean and some super busy like Jason Douglas.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
My hope is that any actors involved will remain the same from the uncut Dragon Ball Z dub instead of the recasts from Kai's dub spoiler[Unfortunately, we all know which that will be.] Regardless, I'm glad to see this, albeit without an announcement of Kai's Buu arc. Funimation is "The House that Goku Built," after all, and anything Dragon Ball missing from their catalog is just wrong.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
So Toei finally cracked huh?
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
me right now

gravediggernalk wrote:
My hope is that any actors involved will remain the same from the uncut Dragon Ball Z dub instead of the recasts from Kai's dub spoiler[Unfortunately, we all know which that will be.] Regardless, I'm glad to see this, albeit without an announcement of Kai's Buu arc. Funimation is "The House that Goku Built," after all, and anything Dragon Ball missing from their catalog is just wrong.

or the same as Battle of Gods and Resurrection F as they was 90% the same as the original Z cast bar the few who no longer work at funimation
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
It's about bloody time but what about the Buu saga? Are we going to have to buy the Z version of it to fill that gap?
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Everything they've done since Kai has been dubbed faithfully, with the worst offenses in the Battle of Gods dub being perhaps a few overly liberally handled jokes and one scene where Goku comes off as a bit too superhero-y... and Resurrection F's script being basically flawless aside from changing the way Goku describes Super Saiyan Blue from "Basically it's the Super Saiyan of a Saiyan who has the power of a Super Saiyan God" to "I experienced this thing called Super Saiyan God, and now I've learned to tap into that power on my own"... And seeing how that form barely makes any sense to begin with I don't think this is much of a problem. (And it's probably a result of Simmons wording it really confusingly in his translation anyway.) I have no doubt that the dub of Super will be as faithful as FUNi can get away with without stepping on the toes of their long-time fans. Which is to say, the old voices and name-changes will still be there, but the script will be translated faithfully and we won't be getting any music changes or anything of the sort.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, about time! Looking forward to the dub. Just wonder about their plans for showing it off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5