• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Just An Attack On Titan Clone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
I think Crossed fits that definition a lot more.
Nyron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Nyron wrote:
The story goes nowhere and it feels like it was written and drawn by a teenager.

So pretty much like Kabaneri.

Bad post
Try again
Kabaneri's story has been very well-paced and it looks amazing

{Edit}: How about you try again actually. This time without a snarky & pompous insult towards another user. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101
Hedd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I've said it from the start, Kabaneri is better that AoT for many of these reasons.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
After reading this, I may end up giving Kabaneri a shot. All I really needed was confirmation that it wasn't just a rip-off a show I frankly can't stand, and here's an entire article!
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:

Kabaneri's story has been very well-paced and it looks amazing

Well-paced? The plot has been progressing at a snail's pace in these 7 episodes. Keep in mind there's only 5 episode left and we barely know anything about the world or most of the characters. I doubt we're even going to get a proper closure.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Well-paced? The plot has been progressing at a snail's pace in these 7 episodes. Keep in mind there's only 5 episode left and we barely know anything about the world or most of the characters. I doubt we're even going to get a proper closure.

I highly doubt that it'll be a 1 season show, otherwise yeah the pace is atrocious for that.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
Wow what a clickbait title

Comparing Kabenari and AoT isn't even fair. AoT may be the Hot Topic Teen's anime of choice these days, but it's objectively a pretty garbage show. The story goes nowhere and it feels like it was written and drawn by a teenager. If AoT fans aren't going to watch Kabenari, I don't see any issue, it's their loss and the fandom will be less insufferable for it.

Kabenari feels like a show made by adults. The characters, world and art all feel extremely creative and polished, it's not a show that can be summed up in 3 sentences like AoT is. It is not necessary to justify Kabenari to people, it speaks for itself. It's like saying "is Avengers just a ripoff of the Fantastic Four movie?" The fans of the latter are irrelevant and the former shouldn't be compared.

And on the subject of Eren, he is a horrible protagonist, though that's partially because all of AoT's writing is bad. He's an impotent rage child, he pretty much just sucks and never develops. It is a chore to see him on-screen.

Ikoma and Mumei are everything Eren and Mikasa were supposed to be. Ikoma is one of the most satisfying anime protagonists in a while - he actually gets things done. He's a little flawless, but at least he's fun to watch.

In any case, Kabaneri is no much smarter or adult than Shingeki no Kyojin. In fact, considering how long it will be running and that there is no source material, I can go as far as to call it even less ambitious. When you read Shingeki no Kyojin, you realize that the blockbuster feeling it had going for its first season (and most likely the first half of its second season) was a huge selling point that died considerably as the series progressed, transforming itself in a horror, scifi/mystery and even political series, and the action part of it has been massively overshadowed except for a few chapters.

But comparing both in anime form, Kabaneri constantly has displays of overconfidence in it's own convenience. While it's true that a lot of the events in almost any anime or show have a certain chain of convenience, Kabaneri often overuses it and doesn't adress it. For example, in episode 4 they make Mumei do and say things that she wouldn't really say, like "Do you want me to fight?" Mumei just goes and fights, permission or not, clearly shown in episode 5 and 6.

Or there is also the convenient timing in which the Black Monster takes time to attack the Koutetsujou. or most of Kabaneri's abilities and traits, all of them displayed and problematized when it will make a big, shocking impact. The point of using such convenience is that most people don't notice it, and sometimes they manage to do that like when the Koutetsujou is stopped because Ikoma didn't finish taking away the trash, and thus giving time for the crew to be amazed about the Black Monster.

That is to say, it's not as if Shingeki no Kyojin doesn't do it. I think that Mikasa was taken as an easy character, but considering her role and personality, I believe Isayama noticed he wrote himself into a corner with her. He can't develop her in a much different way considering how she usually behaves and she is mostly dipping in a very bad balance. Levi almost suffered from the same problem, luckily, he got injured and gave time for his role and personality to shine much more, compared to Mikasa's.

Eren was also in a similar problem, but also luckily, he grows slightly more useless as far as missions go after the end of the first season, and begins to show more deep thought and displays a more interesting way to interact with other characters or himself. So far, Armin is probably the one with the most consistent growth of the three characters, hence why he is my favourite of the three, although I much prefer the Erwin, Hange and Levi trio.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Not directly relevant to the article, but I just wanted to say I think Jacob has the most distinctive and unique writing style out of all the regular ANN crew. I can always spot a Jacob article instantly, and am happy to do so Very Happy
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

I highly doubt that it'll be a 1 season show, otherwise yeah the pace is atrocious for that.

I would be more willing to give Kabaneri a fairer chance if the possibility of a second season was more clear but there's two issues with this. One is that Wit Studio is gearing up for AoT S2 which will probably be in the Fall or so and I doubt any Kabaneri production would be happening while that's going and Two is that noitmainA's schedule has already been filled through to 2017. So even if Kabaneri gets another season, it won't be until the summer at the minimum. This leads me to wonder if anybody would even remember Kabnaeri by then and more importantly, if this is really only gonna be one season, it's been paced so terribly that I can't really care about it too much
+ 光

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

In any case, Kabaneri is no much smarter or adult than Shingeki no Kyojin. In fact, considering how long it will be running and that there is no source material, I can go as far as to call it even less ambitious.

But comparing both in anime form, Kabaneri constantly has displays of overconfidence in it's own convenience...a certain chain of convenience, Kabaneri often overuses it and doesn't adress it.

Levi almost suffered from the same problem, luckily, he got injured and gave time for his role and personality to shine much more, compared to Mikasa's.

Eren...grows slightly more useless as far as missions go after the end of the first season, and begins to show more deep thought and displays a more interesting way to interact with other characters or himself. So far, Armin is probably the one with the most consistent growth of the three characters, hence why he is my favourite of the three, although I much prefer the Erwin, Hange and Levi trio.

Okay, but you're comparing apples with pears here. Precisely BECAUSE Kabaneri does not have a source material and only a 13-episode run, it cannot possibly be as well 'fleshed-out' as Attack on Titan AND exiting and action filled at the same time. Kabaneri has to sacrifice something. Kabaneri's characters are shallow, but I don't mind. They're all they need to be.

Also, what I just thought about - where was Attack on Titan at it's 7th episode? And where was AoT at it's 13th episode, where Kabaneri will end? What happened after AoT's 13th episode, and what would've happened after Kabaneri's 13th episode? THAT's where the true comparison, and the true differences, would lie.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is airing in Fuji TV's Noitamina slot, and last season Erased aired in that slot. Erased had a Hollywood film feel to it, like Kabaneri. Psycho-Pass, Terror in Resonance and Your Lie in April also showed in the same slot previous seasons (among many others). All had a certain appeal to them that could pull in a wider audience (and showcase the theatrics possible in Japanese anime, perhaps?). That's what Kabaneri's trying to do, and whether they achieve their ultimate goal or not is something still to be confirmed. (AoT's purpose was to promote the manga)
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This is almost exactly what I was thinking about the two. I even wrote an article on my site a while back with a lot of the same points. It's pretty obvious that Kabaneri mostly just took inspiration and a general premise from AoT and not much else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
Wow what a clickbait title

What would you have called it? "AoT and Kabaneri: A Comparative Evaluation Based on Three Compositional Parameters"?

I think people have lost sight of what clickbait actually is. If an article delivers on the promise of the title, it's not clickbait just because the title is written in an interesting way.

Now if it had been called "5 Shocking Things Studio Wit Doesn't Want You to Know About AoT and Kabaneri," I'd have to agree that would be clickbait for this article. Smile

As for people complaining that one or both of these series go nowhere, that's like getting on a train from NYC to L.A. and getting off at Kansas City because the train didn't go anywhere. Neither series has ended yet. If you don't want to sit back and enjoy the changing scenery, take a plane.

If you want a series that really goes nowhere, try Letter Bee.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Okay, but you're comparing apples with pears here. Precisely BECAUSE Kabaneri does not have a source material and only a 13-episode run, it cannot possibly be as well 'fleshed-out' as Attack on Titan AND exiting and action filled at the same time. Kabaneri has to sacrifice something. Kabaneri's characters are shallow, but I don't mind. They're all they need to be.

Also, what I just thought about - where was Attack on Titan at it's 7th episode? And where was AoT at it's 13th episode, where Kabaneri will end? What happened after AoT's 13th episode, and what would've happened after Kabaneri's 13th episode? THAT's where the true comparison, and the true differences, would lie.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is airing in Fuji TV's Noitamina slot, and last season Erased aired in that slot. Erased had a Hollywood film feel to it, like Kabaneri. Psycho-Pass, Terror in Resonance and Your Lie in April also showed in the same slot previous seasons (among many others). All had a certain appeal to them that could pull in a wider audience (and showcase the theatrics possible in Japanese anime, perhaps?). That's what Kabaneri's trying to do, and whether they achieve their ultimate goal or not is something still to be confirmed.

Perhaps I worded it wrong.

When I compared the lenght and source material of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kabaneri, I meant that Kabaneri won't evolve much further (at least, so far) than what it is now. I didn't say that Kabaneri is serving it's purpose in a worse way than Shingeki anime did, it's somewhat similar in fact, however I criticize some of it's composition and execution. Shingeki no Kyojin sacrificed part of it's character development and narrative to be as popular as it is now (especially in manga form), what Kabaneri is sacrificing is probably it's cohesiveness and overall craft, although it's core has managed to remian more or less stable.

Also, although Kabaneri characters are somewhat shallow, they have a better starting point than most in Shingeki no Kyojin. Mumei and Ikoma are much easier to work around in their development than Mikasa and Eren, and it definetely shows in Shingeki no Kyojin manga, as most of the later introduced characters have a less rocky path in their development.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Jacob wrote:
There are bright blue skies, pastel pink kimonos, and even radiant purple zombie guts with fiery orange blood vessels pulsing through them. There's a spark of beauty in every scene, and the final product looks like no other anime out there.

Stellar, effervescent writing as always, Jacob!
It is ever a pity that what could be one of the most accessible and straightforwardly rewarding shows of the season is hard to obtain without making further commitments.

Nyron, your series of erroneously-submitted posts is actually quite a record. Far from ignoring them, you should be proud!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
See, this article basically encapsulates why I prefer AoT over Kabaneri. I am enjoying Kabaneri quite a bit, don't get me wrong. But that's all I'm really doing. It doesn't inspire me to think about the themes, I don't get swept up in the drama/tragedy of it, and outside of the (spectacular) action scenes, I never quite feel engrossed in the show like with AoT. The sense of mystery and the political machinations are also largely absent, although I will concede that probably has to do with the lesser length of the series. For me, Kabaneri sits at a weak to solid 7/10 right now, with room for improvement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5