• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about Ergo Proxy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reikah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:

spoiler[
Who is the other VincentLaw/ErgoProxy who he encounters at Romdeau?

Why did Vincent erase his memories? And why did the other Ergo Proxy want to die at the hands of Vincent ?

Who was Monad? Is the second Re-l the reincarnation of Monad? If so, the first Re-l is the reincarnation of whom?

]

And the most important question: Are there any animes similar to this one? It was amazing even I barely understood the story.

spoiler[The other proxy in Romdeau is Proxy One. You see him in the first episode, and he's also mentioned in episode 15.

I think Vincent erased his memories to escape the cycle of malice towards a creator (for lack of a better term). He wanted to escape the fate that the proxies were tied into and live his own life. Proxy One also wanted to escape the cycle, and opted for death since he couldn't leave any other way.

Monad is another proxy - one who Vincent left Romdeau for, so Romdeau declared war on Moscow and ended up capturing her. Re-l is probably at least a partial clone of Monad, with the second Re-l being a full clone. ]

That's my take on it.

If you want more in depth answers, check out this link: http://anikimeiski.blogspot.com/2006/08/will-pino-survive-ergo-proxy-ep23.html

It's a fairly comprehensive explanation of the end of the series.

If I had to compare it to another anime, I would say Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Though, it's a lose comparison at best.
deepon05

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Your link failed! Or maybe because I was downloading torrent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
deepon05

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Now im even more confused for reading that summary in the above link. Omg now i have to rewatch EP from the beginning because i missed so much stuff. AHHHHHH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
deepon05

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
So I just finished watching Ergo Proxy and wanted to revive my old thread. If there are any people out there that have also finished watching this series, then please contribute your thoughts here.

WARNING!: This spoiler/summary is meant to have people that have finished this series to help put some personal insight into the Ergo Proxy series because of a lack of a definative explation of wha occurs. If you have not finished watching this series then DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING SPOLIER. I wanted to get other people's insight on the series for the sake of the my love of the series. If a moderator still finds this post in violation, please tell me where exactly the rules state that I need to avoid this type of post.

spoiler[So it looks like the real battle is just beginning with the survivers of Romdeau and the Creators. After some further research into this series and the link that a generous person submitted, I was able to (for lack of a better term) connect the dots to what happened, what just happened, and what will happen. The whole idea of the story, based on what I have deduced and read is, that original humans became too advanced and it ruined the entire planet. Thus the land was desolute and ruined and there was too much cloud cover for the sunlight to come through. In an effort to restore the planet, the humans escaped to space in ships and create the Proxies to create life to what it once was. Once the job was completed, the humans would return to the rejuvenated planet and the Proxies, because of the certain synthetic cells that make up their bodies, would be destroyed in the sunlight. However, due to personality conflicts within certain Proxies and the story of Ergo Proxy, the plan did not go according to plan. There was to be no survivors and the ending episode gave a hint to an ensuing battle that hinted to a sequel.]

I know it is nt the best explanation but what do people that have watched this series think about it?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
That's basically the jist of it yeah. I think I could go either way with this series as I'd love to see more however, I also really liked how it did end and would also be absolutely fine if that's all there is as well.
deepon05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
That's basically the jist of it yeah. I think I could go either way with this series as I'd love to see more however, I also really liked how it did end and would also be absolutely fine if that's all there is as well.

I would disagree because I would like to see if spoiler[ Vincent still can become Ergo even though they hinted at the fact that he could in the very last scene with his eyes Wink . I also wanna know what the deal is with the beigs that were living in the caves in episode...I think it was 18, where Real was breathing in the poisonous gas. It bugged me whether or not they were humans that were left behind by the Creators. I know that the humans that left Earth in spaceships did not take everyone with them as was said in the game show episode. I also want to know if there are any more Proxies out there because the max number was not said and Monad was Proxy 13 but 13 Proxies were not shown. They never revealed what happened to the rest. What if the domed cities they made were never destroyed and the sunlight didn't kill all the Proxies?]

Man I typed too much again.
Reikah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
deepon05 wrote:
I would disagree because I would like to see if spoiler[ Vincent still can become Ergo even though they hinted at the fact that he could in the very last scene with his eyes Wink . I also wanna know what the deal is with the beigs that were living in the caves in episode...I think it was 18, where Real was breathing in the poisonous gas. It bugged me whether or not they were humans that were left behind by the Creators. I know that the humans that left Earth in spaceships did not take everyone with them as was said in the game show episode. I also want to know if there are any more Proxies out there because the max number was not said and Monad was Proxy 13 but 13 Proxies were not shown. They never revealed what happened to the rest. What if the domed cities they made were never destroyed and the sunlight didn't kill all the Proxies?]

Personally, I don't expect to see a sequal. The show left SO MUCH to the imagination (as evidenced by the many, many attempts at synopsizing it all over the internet) that I don't think the creators of the show will make any serious attempts at elaboration. That's not to say I wouldn't love to see more of the story, but I'm not holding my breath.

spoiler[ I think the mutated people were indeed left by the original inhabitants of the Earth, and they ventured underground in an attempt to survive the harsh atmosphere. Then they were obviously both poisoned and trapped by their environment and became what you saw in that episode.

Also, in episode 13 (I think- the Gameshow one) they mention that there are over a hundred proxies. They only showed you a handful since, well, it's only a 23 episode series. >.>

As far as your other questions, your opinions are as likely as mine. I think Vincent is still Ergo, and can utilize him at will, and I think that the Proxies would have been doomed regardless of whether their cities fell to ruin or not, since the creators seemed to spend a great deal of time planning everything out.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2