• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blood Lad BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"]
Cam0 wrote:

{An example: Vampires are usually portrayed as being very strong to really strong though vaguely so there's no need for an "unleash your true potential!" aspect to being a vampire because it just raises questions like "How strong was he to begin with?" or "If he's fighting other vampires then couldn't come down to ability?"

Well, that one is pretty obvious as to why he needed a "power up". It's stated pretty plainly that he is a boss of an area. However, his brother and sister are both living in Acropolis which it is stated to house all full blooded and of noble linage demons. It is also stated that, once a demon controls all of the areas then he is called up to Acropolis. This is basically means that everyone that is in Acropolis is stronger then all the bosses of the slums. Staz's brother and sister both live in Acropolis making them more powerful them him by default. So, to remedy that the magaka gave him the back story and his power up and since his power was locked up for so long you can bet that he will be finding out how to use his power properly and becoming even more powerful.

So, if you are saying that Staz's "power up" wasn't warranted, then I disagree on the basis of the aforementioned reasons.

The more interesting point to look at out of all of this is that, even with Staz's powers being locked away, he is still powerful enough to be a area boss and even possibly the strongest area boss (he is just too lazy to conquer more areas). Meaning that his power is so immense that even when it is locked up it's still powerful enough to put Staz at the top of the lower level demons and that Staz has enough will to pull that power out from it's locked chambers, even though it shouldn't be possible since his brother said that they are locked away and that only his brother himself can "release" his powers. Yet, Staz still manages to tap into it some how despite all of that.

There is a decent amount of thought put into the plot points and just because they are brought up and never resolved in the anime doesn't mean that they are meaningless and will never be touched on later on in the story. I look at all the plot points as pieces of a bigger picture that the anime wasn't even close to capturing a glimpse off.

Originally, I think that Blood Lad was supposed to be a 1 cour (13 episodes) series at the very least but something went wrong along the line and the had to compromise because of those reasons. The flow of the show seemed like it was aiming for a 2 cour season. But, sadly that didn't happen.

The reason I say, something went wrong, is that if you remember the show was announced to be broadcasted at a given date and late it was revoked and for a while news of Blood Lad went silent and then it resurfaced again and aired at a much later date then the initially planned date. It wasn't like Problem Childern Come From Another Planet, which aired on it's intended schedule and was planned to be 10 episodes and an OVA from the start. It seemed like Blood Lad was "forced" into it's current duration.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I wish this was a long running show. Loved so much about it. The action, the fanservice, a nice cast of characters. It could have been the next big shonen thing...
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

Maybe not, but plot isn't the strength of this anime. This anime requires that you do not look at the big picture and instead just enjoy what you get every episode.

So the strengths of this show, whatever they may be, have nothing to do with the premise:

Slacker vampire accidently kills human, hilarity ensues.

That's something you develop, you don't ignore it. It's why I watched it in the first place but this story is like ADHD applied to a writing process; It's not even a matter of throwing every idea against a wall and seeing what sticks as the author doesn't stick with any idea long enough to see what works.

That complaint's not even getting into the show as an adaptation; These are professionals working with a ten episode outline and they didn't care to make anything out of it? They could have made a story out of it rather than "Hey look, a fight! Look, another fight! Look, boobs! These are things you can only find in Blood Lad!!"

Caught between the apathy of the creators to their work and the author's inability to focus, the show can only manage to be a feeble commercial for the manga. That didn't work on me as it made me lose interest in checking it out as it only illustrates how shallow the author is. {An example: Vampires are usually portrayed as being very strong to really strong though vaguely so there's no need for an "unleash your true potential!" aspect to being a vampire because it just raises questions like "How strong was he to begin with?" or "If he's fighting other vampires then couldn't come down to ability?" and the biggest "Why does this remind me of Hellsing, only worse somehow?"}

Vampire wins, the end.

This was my worst show of 2013 for its sheer disappointment and wasted potential and I still stand by it.

Your first point makes so little sense it hurts - as it in physically hurts me. What is there to get - the series is a comdey/shounen about Staz trying to revive a human he killed. There are subplots which intersect with the main plot as with any series, but you really don't have any point to make here. The focus is as much as any other series which has more than one plot line.

SO what you want them to do, is ruin an adaption. Bad adaptions make changes from the source material - they are not accepted and fade into obscurity. Either that or you have a massive split between the fanbase of the anime and the manga, which just causes arguments and other such idiocy.

If a show deviates from one convention but sticks to another, it's bad? Such logic. The series abides by shounen convention whilst parodying it in some ways, it's a comic series by nature and if you are taking it seriously you are doing it wrong. Also, we know how strong he was - that's covered pretty quickly so I don't think your complaints have much basis.

I think you went into this expecting something different, not a series which is mainly a comedy and doesn't really take itself seriously .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2