• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Lagoon, Buso Renkin Openings Tie for #1 Coolest Anime Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that Reckless Fire made it that far up in the list. Likewise, I'm surprised to see that Tank!, The Real Folk Blues, Guren no Yumiya, and Ai wo Torimodose all placed so low.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Bleach opening 1 and Air Gear opening are the reason's I got into the shows. Later stayed for the shows but the opening was the attention grabber for me.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I must say, this is a surprisingly awesome list. There's a lot in here that I am very pleasantly amazed to see given credit to.

"Makka na Chikai" tying for #1 is simply sublime; I personally consider it Yoshiki Fukuyama's magnum opus (and it was awesome hearing it live at Anime Boston). "HUSTLE MUSCLE" being tying for #8 alongside "King Gainer Over!" is also surprisingly astonishing, as I've always felt that it's a horrifically unknown opening theme because essentially no one outside of Japan has seen the original Japanese version of Ultimate Muscle. While I have't seen any of Webdiver, I can vouch that "DIVER#2100" is a pretty cool song, so it's neat to see it as part of the list, too.

After that comes a lot of older songs that I'm just pleased to see listed. "Get Wild" is a rare case of an anime franchise's iconic theme being an ending instead of an opening, "Honoo no Sadame" is such a soothingly awesome song, "Ima ga Sono Toki da" seems to get forgotten often due to "HEATS" being used in more episodes of Getter Robo Armageddon, & "Yume Iro Chaser" is another case of a horrifically unknown opening theme due to the lack of good subs for Dragonar. Finally, "Kōga Ninpōchō" & "Toki no Kawa" are both really sweet songs, too.

Overall, this is one damn good list that Japanese fans "created".
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed by the lack of "Y'know" by Akira Sudou from Bubblegum Crisis 2040. That song is an earworm that never leaves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I was disappointed by the lack of "Y'know" by Akira Sudou from Bubblegum Crisis 2040. That song is an earworm that never leaves.

There are a few other songs I would have loved to see in the list, but I liked the overall list so much that I didn't feel like it was worth adding more to it at the moment.

Thought about it, though.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Surprised HEY! A good list, old and new.

Wild Flowers, Sidonia, Tank, Eva, King Gainer (lol), you get to burning, etc.

Need some SLAYERS though! Laughing
Zags

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Buso Renkin taking #1 made me smile with nostalgia. Such a great opening.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, seven years later and Black Lagoon still has staying power. Never expected to see it mention in a top list. Way to go. I do like the Buso Renkin song (I need to finish that series) but nothing compares to the madness that is "I have a big gun, took it from the lord..." Smile

Agreed, man it's great seeing Red Fraction there Smile

Really glad to see Sidonia's awesome OP song getting recognized too!

Other favorites on the list, obviously Guren no Yumiya, Tank, and The Real Folk Blues, and also Savior of Song (Arpeggio of Blue Steel), Namae no nai Kaibutsu (Psycho-Pass), and King Gainer Over is still amazingly great and amusing really glad it's in the list lol. Those Scryed, Nadesico, and Railgun OPs were also great. Awesome to see Reckless Fire so high up despite the age of Scryed.

Attack on Titan's second OP also deserves to be there, once I got passed losing one of the best OPs ever I really loved it and it became one of the best OPs too.

I need to hear Buso Renkin's again it seems! It's been too long since I checked out that show.

As was already said by others, surprisingly awesome list with great old and new stuff. Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
If Xam'd's ED song, "Vacany", was its OP and that was on the list, it would feel like an honor to me since the singer, Kylee Saunder (20 as of May 25 and she is majoring in science, technology, and society at Stanford), used to live in Chandler and Chandler is 1 of the Phoenix Metro cities.

It's nice to see Cyborg 009 getting some representing.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, go Buso Renkin! I never would have seen this coming, I thought everyone had forgotten about the show sadly. It's opening really is beyond awesome though.

Even more shocking is seeing s-CRY-ed on there. Then again, it did get some new stuff not that long ago...an appearance in that one crossover game, and some kind of compilation movies or something...is it more popular than I think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
One cannot be disappointed with this list. I love how S-Cry-Ed is in the top 3 and my other favorites made the list.

If there were a poll for coolest insert songs, I can see "Clear Mind" by Masaaki Endo making the list.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm the only one who got a grin out of seeing Gash Bell make it on the list. Yes it's low, but seeing that series get mentioned at all really perks me up for some reason....though I personally would have to say the 3rd opening is the best...Laughing
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Would have liked Scrapped Princess OP included, but I guess the OP doesn't quite fit the 'cool' category. Oh well, it's a good list though.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
One of my friends is not generally into anime, but I got them to watch Black Lagoon and they just loved the opening theme. "I have a big gun, I took it from my lord, stick with justice...", what's not to like?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Can't say Busou Renkin would even be an option that would come to mind when thinking about the coolest anime songs, though now that I watched the OP on youtube to refresh my memory it got me a bit pumped up so i guess it fits the criteria somewhat.

Neither do I. Red Fraction should have easily have been number one. especially its remix version that was used for the Roberta Blood Trail OVA.

though i definitely agree with reckless fire being in the top three.

however Ichirino Hana & its remix (Bleach OP #3) should have made the list hands down. not to mentioned the shaman king OP Northern Lights , the OP for Stand Alone Complex & Second Gig and the OP for the TV Hellsing as well as waiting for & its remix (Guyver 2005 TV series ).

those OPs are a hell of a lot better and cooler than most of the OP on this list.especially o my railgun and the OP for Saint Seiya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3