• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NYPD Band Plays Yamato Anime Theme at Macy's Parade

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
If anyone missed the pokemon stuff, you can see it here.

Wow, they even did his furry wang!!
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
xD Watched the whole parade, I own you all~ Heck, I do that every year, while my family goes off and puts up Christmas decorations and eats breakfast and whatnot. My sister was ticked she missed the Minions from Despicable Me besiege the float with Miranda Cosgrove on it and take it for a "souvenir"...

Ah, but when Takashi Murakami himself was on camera, I could only stare and try to process, because I hadn't heard the announcement. I just saw a Japanese guy in a flower suit dancing to some bubblegum jpop, then they explained that he was an artist and KaiKai and Kiki were his studio mascots. ("Whew, so I'm not crazy...") But I totally missed the part about the marching band playing the anime theme. How is that possible? o_O I know Al Roker was acting like a kid in a candy store, walking along next to the marching bands, and I watched that bit, but I never heard anything about an anime theme song. I'm confuzzled. Confused
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
I was really pissed they only played like 5 seconds of the song. I wouldn't have even recognized it if they hadn't announced it.

Pretty much only heard "To save the human race/Our Star Blazers--" That was it.

And oddly enough, although every non-anime muggle in NYC would have recognized it (if they got to hear enough of it) under their 80's-childhood icon title, when the parade passed by, the anchor hosts announced it as "playing the Theme from Spaceship Yamato". Shocked
(And no, don't think it was supposed to be a plug for the Movie, unless we've heard anything about distribution.)

ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
xD Watched the whole parade, I own you all~ Heck, I do that every year, while my family goes off and puts up Christmas decorations and eats breakfast and whatnot.Confused

I TRIED to get up early enough to watch the free Broadway plugs (which was the only interesting part of the broadcast when I was a kid), but I'm an adult and it's a holiday...
Fell out of bed to miss the first twenty minutes, but switched back and forth between the two networks, when one would do interviews and the other would do concert segments.

(Used to joke that if we had an afternoon meal, "We would put the turkey in after the first Broadway plug, and baste it every time a network soap star sings 'Winter Wonderland'."
Nowadays, they just use country stars and Kanye West, which throws off the recipe.) Razz
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
Ah, but when Takashi Murakami himself was on camera, I could only stare and try to process, because I hadn't heard the announcement. I just saw a Japanese guy in a flower suit dancing to some bubblegum jpop, then they explained that he was an artist and KaiKai and Kiki were his studio mascots. ("Whew, so I'm not crazy...")

Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
That's too awesome! Man how did I miss that? I watched the whole thing on TV. I guess it was probably some part that I walked away from. But I wondered if I would have caught it. I saw Murakami, gawd that was strange. Did not expect to see him there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2