• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
17 animated films eligible for Oscar! 5 Nomination Berths!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I liked the VeggieTales parody on Saturday Night Live's/Robert Smigel's "TV Funhouse" a couple of weeks back, particularly the VeggieTales' version of Armageddon, with the rivers filling with... V8.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi, guys! It's been awhile. Now for my post...

"It's still Quentin Tarantino instead of Yuen Woo Ping. Anyway, by credit, I meant awarding them. You're basically congratulating them for doing an adaptation of a movie you were never involved in creating. It's like France claiming credit for the creation of the Mona Lisa, even though it's an Italian painting."

Yeah, but "Quentin Tarantino presents Iron Monkey" is only meant to be a stamp of approval by a noted director. It's done that way because Tarintno wanted his name used in hopes that it would help grab the attention of the potential audience for the film (like Walt Disney PRESENTS Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away).

It probably would have been nice to have had Quentin Tatantino presents Yuen Woo Ping's IRON MONKEY, but they probably decided not to do it that way for some reason or another.

the Animan
Hotaru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Though it'd be nice if it won, I doubt Sen to Chihiro is gonna win. Disney's got a monopoly on the whole animated biz, which blows. And there's Ice Age, and yes, I'm sure "Eight Crazy Nights" is Oscar material. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:42 pm Reply with quote
All that matters is that it gets nominated, because it'll be shown long enough on tv for Disney to re-market it. (I'd be happy enough if it got nominated for Best Director so the camera would pan to Miyazaki in the audience. :D ) Speaking of which, if it does get nominated for anything, can anybody record and upload clips of the Oscars, whenever Spirited Away gets mentioned?
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:13 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, the only one I can see giving Spirited Away a run for it money is, "Lilo and Stitch, Spirti, Struart 2, Treasure Planet, and Ice Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:55 am Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
Though it'd be nice if it won, I doubt Sen to Chihiro is gonna win. Disney's got a monopoly on the whole animated biz, which blows. And there's Ice Age, and yes, I'm sure "Eight Crazy Nights" is Oscar material. :roll:

Okay. You remember that Disney released Spirited Away, right? Well then, in that case, their "monopoly on the whole animated biz" certainly helps in that respect.

www.awards2002.net

Looks like they're promoting Spirited Away just as much as their other flicks, if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:26 am Reply with quote
If Miyazaki gets the award (and on national television too!) I'm going to be jumping up and down in my living room like my favorite football team was winning the SuperBowl.

Woo! Woo! Woo!

the Animan
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:49 am Reply with quote
The other issue, as I brought up earlier is, Will this actually pave the way for anime movies to be given wider theatrical releases in the U.S.? Or will this just pave the way for future Ghibli movies-and any likely rip-offs-to get a wide release? All I know is next year I'll be rooting for Millenium Actress to get nominated, because only then will I be able to confirm that the idea of animation for teens and adults is a possibility in the U.S. (I don't consider Eight Crazy Nights for an "adult" movie, and believe the 13 in the rating refers to the IQ of the viewer needed to understand it.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:46 am Reply with quote
I doubt Millenium Actress would get all that much wider a release than Spirited Away, since the film is about Satoshi Kon's love of Japanese cinema through the ages, not exactly the sort of subject material that will make Joe Multiplex and Jane Blockbuster wear down the carpets in front of the box office lining up in anticipation.

As for Ghibli rip-offs, well, that's an interesting topic. What exactly, anime-wise (NOT Disney-wise, please), would people consider to be "ripping-off" Ghibli in terms of themes (by which I mean subject matter, not music), pacing or character design? I think the OVA adaptation of Hitoshi Ashinano's Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Yokohama Shopping Log) manga is the closest thing I've ever seen to a Ghibli production that isn't from Ghibli, both in terms of pacing and the overall look of the anime (the character designs are usually quite faithful to the manga, but there are a couple of scenes where Alpha sports a very Ghibli-esque expression, like when she's on the scooter), though I have to admit I love YKK pretty much as much as my favourite Ghiblis (Kiki's Delivery Service, Whispers of the Heart & My Neighbour Totoro) and, as an elegy on man vs. nature, I prefer it to anything with a similar theme from Ghibli.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Ghibli rip-offs, well, that's an interesting topic. What exactly, anime-wise (NOT Disney-wise, please), would people consider to be "ripping-off" Ghibli in terms of themes

The most blatant rip-off I've seen in anime is The Boy Who Saw the Wind, which is a film that tries so hard to be like a Studio Ghibli production, it falls on its face trying to do so. (One problem with that ascertation is that this film was technically a disney film, it was funded by Buena Vista Japan, though it was animated and directed by an entirely Japanese crew though).

The only other one that comes to mind, although not nearly as blatant as the other one I listed, would be Windaria, which has an awful lot in common with Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. This may be a bit more coincidental.

Btw, their is one thing that is interesting about YKK that was said on the Nausicaa-Shadow list, it was directed by Tomomi Mochizuki the director who did the Ghibli TV movie Ocean Waves. I guess that's why the style feels so "Ghibli".
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:

Btw, their is one thing that is interesting about YKK that was said on the Nausicaa-Shadow list, it was directed by Tomomi Mochizuki the director who did the Ghibli TV movie Ocean Waves. I guess that's why the style feels so "Ghibli".

Wasn't the director of the original 2 episodes of YKK Takashi Anno (Hakkenden, New Spirit of Wonder, Miracle Girls)? This review of the R2 DVD says it's Takashi Anno, but the Encyclopedia says Mochizuki. I have the R2 DVD but I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have never tried reading the names of the crew (and I'm not at home right now, so I can't check it). Or did Mochizuki do one episode and Anno the other? The new YKK series, the first episode of which goes on sale next week in Japan (I preordered it from CD Japan), has a different director, but I forget who it is.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I liked the VeggieTales parody on Saturday Night Live's/Robert Smigel's "TV Funhouse" a couple of weeks back, particularly the VeggieTales' version of Armageddon, with the rivers filling with... V8.

Haha yeah, I liked the Crusades one also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
next year I'll be rooting for Millenium Actress to get nominated

I didn't think MA would be eligible for 2004's Oscars, due to the fact that it's already been in few select theaters Question
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:40 pm Reply with quote
There's also the fact that Millennium Actress will be released on DVD in february. I think the Academy has something against movies that have a video release too soon after the theatrical release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:24 am Reply with quote
Millenium Actress just came out in Japan, so it's still eligible, because it got a late release. Home video should have nothing to do with it, otherwise Spirited Away would not be nominated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3