• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keanu Reeves Hopes to Star in Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valondar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:

Do I much care for Keanu Reeves as an actor? I really don't care one way or another. He has been quite good in some films and some others I was not too taken with him.

This.

A Scanner Darkly as good (and, as Linklater tacitly admitted in his commentary, Keanu's involvement got the movie off the ground). Actually, I think it's very good, and by far the best adaptation of any Philip K. Dick novel.

The Matrix films bored me and I'll be passing on the apparently dreadful The Day the Earth Stood Still remake, but I'm not going to write off this film just yet merely due to Keanu's involvement, though his involvement isn't going to sell me either. The Matrix stank because of the Wachkowski Brothers and their smug, indulgent writing - not all the powerhouse performances in the world could have saved that. And from what I hear of Earth the script is pretty stupid.

As to what I think of Reeves as an actor? Eh. As has been amply documented he has a pretty limited range, and even in A Scanner Darkly it's not a standout performance (that honour goes to Robert Downey Jr.), and certainly much of the praise for getting the film to work goes to the director. But I think a Spike within Reeves' range could work fine. It'd be a different Spike from the series, granted, but it need not suck.

Of course it may. And given Keanu Reeves' track record as far as my personal tastes are concerned (there's a reason I've only mentioned one film positively) it's very probable that it will. But I'll wait until I see it doing so before I slam this film.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Ein should be played by AnaSophia Rob, from Bridge to Terabithia and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I'm pretty sure an actual dog barking would be sufficient. No reason to dub a human voice over that bark. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey, there's a ridiculously talented actor who COULD pull off dubbing in dog barks:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919798/
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Needs 9000 trap card balls to make the movie worthwhile.

But has Keanu expressed any kind of acting range since the days of Bill and Ted?

I mean Jesus, he's like Tom Cruise, always playing the EXACT SAME CHARACTER. If you've seen one Cruise role, y'seen them all. At least Keanu isn't a nutjob who thinks our ancestors were involved in some shit that's the bastard child of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica.

Actually, Tom Cruise was pretty good in Tropic Thunder, where he played a character completely different from what type of characters he usually portrays, I laughed the entire time he swore excessively at others. Smile
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
How do you like Hollywood now? They messed with some of my favorites,now they have to mess with yours. Laughing Enjoy.

I'm aiming this at the people who didn't like us railing on DBE.I care about Dragonball,and how it's represented.I'm sure you feel the same when it comes to Cowboy Bebop.You don't want it poorly presented to the non anime going crowd,do you?Yet now (hopefully not) when they hear about Cowboy Bebop,it will be associated with Keanu Reeves.

How does it feel to have people,who know nothing of Cowboy Bebop (or anime in general),even consider Keanu to be Spike?
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

I mean Jesus, he's like Tom Cruise, always playing the EXACT SAME CHARACTER. If you've seen one Cruise role, y'seen them all.

Oh really? Let's see, Rain Man, Born On The Fourth Of July, Cocktail, Jerry Macguire, Far And Away, A Few Good Man, The Color Of Money... to name a few. Yep, I can certainly see where he's "always playing the EXACT SAME CHARACTER". Yep, your statements are so believable.

Regardless of what bad press he may have, or how crazy he is, he's still a very good actor.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

I mean Jesus, he's like Tom Cruise, always playing the EXACT SAME CHARACTER. If you've seen one Cruise role, y'seen them all.

Oh really? Let's see, Rain Man, Born On The Fourth Of July, Cocktail, Jerry Macguire, Far And Away, A Few Good Man, The Color Of Money... to name a few. Yep, I can certainly see where he's "always playing the EXACT SAME CHARACTER". Yep, your statements are so believable.

Regardless of what bad press he may have, or how crazy he is, he's still a very good actor.

Oh, and yeah, the head of a studio. This has gotten completely silly. I remember when you could still check out every new web site each day, and there was no 4chan. Those were the days...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Oh please. In Valkyrie, he's playing the character he played in Last Samurai, in which case he played the character he'd been playing in Mission Impossible, which was the character he had played in Top Gun...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
I think we've hit the point where you can just copy-paste every response to every Hollywood anime remake thread and just swap the names out.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Oh please. In Valkyrie, he's playing the character he played in Last Samurai, in which case he played the character he'd been playing in Mission Impossible, which was the character he had played in Top Gun...

Care to elaborate on how the characters in those movies are the same? Other than the fact all of them look like Tom Cruise and sound like Tom Cruise?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Hey, why not make us a template, then?

"OH EM GEE, [Movie X] is being made by [Studio X]!! They have NO appreciation for such a masterfully done series! And [Actor X] is playing the lead? Dear GAWD will this blow. The special effects will be lame and they'll Hollywood-ify it to no end! [Series X] is RUINED FOREVER! Damn you Hollywood! You can't do anything right!"

I mean it would save us so much time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
Keanu Reeves is an anagram for Eureka Seven.

Just putting that out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Because he's practically always the smarmy and cocky likable jerk archetype all the time, and...I think it was best said in the Entertainment Weekly review of Last Samurai (partial quote): "Tom Cruise plays Tom Cruise playing a..." (forgot the rest of it, but you get the idea).
rekoloki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
keanu reeves????? Reallly???? Does anybody else out there think this guy is a 1/2 wit hack?

I mean he may look like spike but he is no where as cool and doesn't even have the voice acting skills to play Ein

I do have to admit, he can make a good "OMG i crapped my pants" Face :-)
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

James Franco would make a good Spike.

Absolutely!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9