• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament: Voting

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I have calculated that I should have far more free time in the two weeks that follow this one than at any point in January, so this seems like the ideal time to get the ball rolling for our next tournament. Ideally the goal is to have the topic and candidates chosen and bracketed by the end of the year.

For those who have not participated in our official forum tournaments before, these are bracketed single elimination tournaments which have traditionally set characters or groups within a certain criteria against each other head-to-head. Discussing the relative merits of characters within the given categories is at least half the fun, but there is a long tradition of serious evaluation of merits, too. The category used and the roster of participants are both chosen by general vote; this is the first stage.

PAST TOURNAMENTS
These categories have been used before, so neither they nor any idea very similar to them is eligible:

Best First Episode (March-July 2012)
Best Rivals (June-Nov. 2011)
Coolest Character (Dec. 2010 - May 2011)
Best Supporting Character (2010)
Best Team/Organization (2009-2010)
Best Hero/Heroine (2009)
Most Clever/Intelligent Character (2008-2009)
Best Duo (2008)
Most Evil Character (2007-2008)
Crazy Character (2006-2007)
Moe Character (2005-2006)

PROPOSALS
Keep in mind the following when making formal proposals for tournament topics:

1) The topic must be broad enough that representatives could be found in a wide range of genres.
2) The topic must be capable of generating a good degree of discussion.
3) Voters must be able to evaluate participants on more than just purely subjective merits like personal preference or likes/dislikes - in other words, a topic that would be a purely popularity contest isn't feasible.

Best Character Design is an example of a topic that wouldn't work well (a shame, since I would actually be very interested to see who would win). Objective quality is very hard to achieve with aesthetics and such a topic would inherently be heavily influenced by bias; I could not bring myself to vote for any character design done in shojo style, for instance.

Although normally we do 128-entry tournaments, do not feel limited to posting only topics that could generate a 128-participant field; our last one was 64 entries and that seemed to work fine.

I will allow this discussion to run for several days. If a clear consensus behind one topic does not develop then I will call for a vote on the matter sometime towards the end of the week.

One proposal that seemed to have strong legs in the Forum Tournament Interest Survey thread was Best Love Triangle. (Or perhaps "strongest" would be a better lead word?) This would be for trios which have multiple directions of romantic interest among them that are realized in the title, rather than just being a two-way affair. How the triangle ultimately resolves (if it does) would be irrelevant; evaluation would primarily be on the strength of the triangle's structure, execution, and entertainment value, and perhaps its impact on its source material, too. In cases where the romantic relationship charts get messy and can potentially go into polygon mode (for instance, Toradora! or Kimikiss) or where harem set-ups are involved, a triangle or two would have to be pulled out of it - and yes, overlapping triangles from the same series would be allowed if there was sufficient support. There would certainly be no shortage of good candidates, as love triangles can be found all across the anime spectrum.

Another option that's been brought up previously that has had some support is Best Leader. While I am still concerned that a few regulars would dominate as clear favorites here - Aramaki, Balalaika, Lelouch, Lady Eboshi, the regularly-nominated guys from LoGH - I do feel that this would bring in some strong contenders that we haven't heard from before, such as Guin from Guin Saga, Shoryu from The Twelve Kingdoms, Hakuoro from Utawarerumono, the Third Hokage from Naruto, and so forth. It would certainly be discussion-worthy, have objective points that could be argued, and cross all genres, since individuals as diverse as team captains, club leaders, ship captains, squad commanders, and Student Council Presidents could count here.

I could probably also get behind a Most Improved Character, which would be for two types of characters: those that began as not very likable or respectable but gradually became so over the course of the series and those who attracted little attention in the early going of the series but gradually grew into a more important, interesting, and prominent role over time. There would certainly be plenty of worthy evaluating criteria here and, again, you could find candidates from all across the anime spectrum.

I now open the floor to comments on these choices or other suggestions.

Last edited by Key on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't get behind "love triangle" because, for the most part, it's all the same. There are very few series I can think of which utilize this mechanic in a good (or better) story-telling way (Rumbling Hearts was very good, as an example).

What's left is tired, tired cliche. But if this is what the democracy votes for, so be it.

Best Leader reminds me too much of Best Mentor, which was recent. Some crossover, I'm sure.

Best Single Event To Change A Story Or Plot (excluding a death) would be interesting. We focus so much on characters, attention to the story would be a nice change of pace.

If characters are easier to deal with, Best Slacker would be a comical tournament to watch.

Best Non-Living Artifact To Compliment A Character will determine if a mecha to Shinji is better than Excalibur to Saber.
Twisted Evil

*cough* Best Tagline *snickers* Very Happy *runs away*

Well, that's all I have. I'll be sure to pop in and do nominations when others come up with their ideas.

Toodles, poodles.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Best Mentor, Best Child Prodigy, Most Improved Character and Best Leader all appeal greatly to me. I'd be happy doing any of those.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Best Single Event To Change A Story Or Plot (excluding a death) would be interesting. We focus so much on characters, attention to the story would be a nice change of pace.

I really like this idea, but one of the main reasons I have enjoyed the tournaments where I've participated in the past is that I've learned a little bit about shows I haven't seen but might like. I think a contest like this one would be inherently spoiler filled.

I'm not sure how you would get around the spoiler aspect when discussing an event that changed the story significantly. I like the idea of doing something story related as opposed to character related though.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
If characters are easier to deal with, Best Slacker would be a comical tournament to watch.

Or Most Laid Back. I like the idea and I could fit in a couple of my favourite characters in the category. I also support the Best Leader idea, and think we should give Best Character Design a little consideration at the very least.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I think a contest like this one would be inherently spoiler filled.

Very good point. Consider it removed from voting.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Or Most Laid Back. I like the idea and I could fit in a couple of my favourite characters in the category.

I think "Best Slacker" or "Most Laid Back" could make for a fun tournament. It would probably put the focus on a lot of secondary characters (not always, but often) and that would likely mean a lot of entries we haven't had before.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Most Moe Redux will not be considered. Oh well, it's time will come.

Regarding Best Love Triangle, I don't think it should be changed to "strongest". The reason is that assessing the strength of a love triangle is very difficult, far harder than assessing a one-to-one relationship.

I would be happy with Best Love Triangle, Most Improved Character and Best Slacker.

I would love to do Best Musical Score one day but I don't think now is the time to do it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I do have to agree that Best Single Event... would unfortunately be too spoiler-heavy to do, though it would be an interesting idea otherwise (as would Best Character Design, for that matter ... which if we are considering it, could maybe be changed to Designs, which might allow for more discussion since you would have the entire cast of main, supporting, and even background characters to consider).

The other contenders that have been around for a bit are Best Comic Relief and the Best Otaku one, though with the latter I'm not sure that's the right wording for it and I'm not 100% sure how it would be judged, but it would at least draw on some different characters.

Another idea that just came to me is Best Character Introduction. It might be a bit too close to First Episode to do this next but it might have some potential.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally partial to Most Improved Character or Best Love Triangle

I think it would be nice to do a tournament that will bring in a variety of shows. Best Leader and Best Mentor would be ok... but I feel like they are not as unique as other offerings.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
For something on the less serious side, what about Best Pervert where we have a tournament focused on narrowing down anime's well-known perverts within various anime titles? Twisted Evil

Otherwise, I'd be open to the idea of supporting a Best Love Triangle or Best Leader tournaments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Here is an idea that may (or then agian, might not) work out: Most Outstanding World Building Series. I think that it is an interesting idea, but I do not know if there are enough series out there to fill out a tournament's brackets.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Notice that Best Character Design was listed as a bad example, not a viable choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
I would be interested in a tournament about the philosophical ideas/themes in Anime. I don't know what you'd call it; perhaps Most Cerebral? No, that's not quite I'm getting at. Not necessarily the most intelligent writing, just the story that expounds a philosophy and utilises themes central to the story in the best possible way. Guess I need to think on it some more.

nbahn wrote:
Here is an idea that may (or then agian, might not) work out: Most Outstanding World Building Series. I think that it is an interesting idea, but I do not know if there are enough series out there to fill out a tournament's brackets.

I like the idea too. I think it would be quite workable. We'll likely be doing a character-based tournament this time (because the last tournament was not character-based), but I would vote for Most Outstanding World Building in the future.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
I spent a few minutes and brainstormed Most Battle Hungry/Barbaric/Bloodthirsty Character. We could work on the title but I think there is a good of amount of characters that would fit the description. You know, those characters with the "I'll kill you" look in their eyes. Of course, in the most gruesome way possible being the only way they know how to do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4