• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
NOTE: This tournament has now concluded. Find the final results here.

Long-standing rivalries and adversarial relationships lie at the core of a significant chunk of human entertainment. They can figure into romance, drama, comedy, action, mystery, suspense, even sports; examples can be found in every genre. Anime is no different. In this tournament we will examine the merits of some of the great anime rivalries/adversarial relationships and decided which is the best.

NOTE: Since this tournament is being run on an English-language site based in North America, official English spellings, title translations, and naming conventions will be observed in any case where it matters.

Evaluation Points of Emphasis
Exactly what constitutes a great set of rivals or adversaries is left to each voter to decide, but all are encouraged to strongly consider the following points:
*The rivalry/adversarial relationship should be well-established.
*It should be mutually recognized by the participants.
*It should have a sizable impact on the source material.
*It should have a palpable ongoing sense of conflict, whether for romantic, ideological, political, military, survival, competitive, or possibly other reasons.
*It should be intense and entertaining.
*A rivalry being resolved before the end of a series and/or changing into a friendship should NOT be held against those involved, unless such a resolution makes for a brief rivalry.

Other factors which may be considered but should not be weighted as heavily include depth, symbolic meaning, and evolution of the nature of the rivalry.

Tournament Rules/Standards:
1. This is a single elimination tournament using a standard advancement bracket.
2. Advancement is determined by receiving a plurality of votes in a given match-up. In the event of a tie, all tying participants advance.
3. The field is divided into four lettered Groups, each representing one of the four major branches of the bracket.
4. Each voting phase will last exactly one week, beginning and ending at midnight Tuesday EST (i.e. GMT-4). No votes posted after the cut-off time will be accepted, even if an official end to the round hasn’t yet been announced.
5. Any registered forum member who isn’t banned is allowed to vote, regardless of whether or not you’ve participated in any previous round or group. However, you must vote for all match-ups in a particular week for your votes to be counted.
6. In the first and second rounds, at least one of your votes must be justified with some kind of supporting argument; you are encouraged to do more than that, as convincing arguments have proven to be a major factor in past tournaments. Beginning with the third round, all votes must be so justified.
7. Key is the final arbiter of the tournament and Dorcas_Aurelia is the final arbiter of the accompanying minigame. (If you don’t already know what it is then it’s too late to get involved now.)

References
Since voters are not expected to know everyone going in, a Guide which briefly describes each character is being provided. These entries are linked to the names of the Rival/Adversaries and will contain a picture and other assorted details. Use these as necessary to familiarize yourself with characters before voting.

Also see ccdx's deluxe tournament bracket here.

Round Links
Round 1
Group A (post following this one, so no link)
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 2
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 3
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 4 (Group Semifinals)
Groups A&B
Groups C&D

Round 5 (Group Finals)
Groups A&B
Groups C&D

Round 6
Semifinals

Round 7
Finals

Last edited by Key on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:43 pm; edited 24 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group A is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Time to get this party started! Even in this first round I think we're going to have more highly-competitive matches than usual, as in many cases I feel which one is definitively the best is less clear-cut than the norm. Shall we find out what happens?

Group A-1
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
vs.
Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA

Group A-2
Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell, Gungrave
vs.
Asuna Kagurazaka vs. Ayaka Yukihiro, Negima franchise

Group A-3
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV
vs.
Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magika

Group A-4
Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari, Bleach
vs.
Sena Kobayakawa vs. Seijuro Shin, Eyeshield 21

Group A-5
Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Himura Kenshin vs. Aoshi, Ruroni Kenshin

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.
Utena Tenjou vs. Ohtori Student Council, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Group A-7
Makoto Mizuhara vs. Katsuhiro Jinnai, El Hazard franchise
vs.
Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari

Group A-8
Kimimaro Yoga vs. Soichiro Mikuni, C: The Money of Soul. .
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Group A-9
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise
vs.
Marionettes vs. Saber Dolls, Saber Marionette J

Group A-10
Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha
vs.
Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae, Saki

Group A-11
Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game
vs.
Vesper vs. Saint, Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden

Group A-12
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
vs.
Exorcists vs. The Noah, D Gray Man

Group A-13
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!
vs.
Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura, School Days

Group A-14
Edward Elric vs. Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
”Thunder General” Claudette vs. Leina Vance, Queen’s Blade

Group A-15
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Jomy Marcus Shin vs. Keith Anyan, Toward The Terra franchise

Group A-16
Dark Mousy vs. Krad, D.N. Angel
vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome

Last edited by Key on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and do note, people, that Round 4 has been condensed down to two weeks in an effort to trim the time for the tournament a little, since its daunting link has been an oft-cited criticism.

Now I'll vote early to help set the pace:

Group A-1
vs.
Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA

Light vs. L are just too strong a choice here. This will probably be a wipe-out.

Group A-2
vs.

More familiar with Asuna vs. Ayaka and think they're good enough rivals to deserve a second round appearance anyway.

Group A-3
vs.

I haven't gotten to the episodes yet in PMMM where these two face off, so my opinion on this match may change over the course of the week as I watch the rest of the series. I have seen some of the Dragons in action, though, and recognize this as one of the more fundamental clashes between opposing ideologies out there.

Group A-4
vs.

Ichigo vs. Renji aren't champion material but are good enough to advance here.

Group A-5
vs.

I don't see Spike vs. Vicious as having long-term staying power against some of the competition in this bracket, but they seem a good enough choice for now.

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Going with the Utena vs. OSC match-up here. Again, I think this one is going to be a bit overrated but still deserves to advance at least once.

Group A-7
vs.

This one I could see going either way. Makoto/Katushiro seems a bit more one-sided than the other pair, though, so Togame vs. Hitei it is.

Group A-8
vs.

Haven't seen the former, but Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku is both one of the great long-form anime rivalries and one of the deepest and most intricately interwoven. Few other anime rivalries can match how carefully and completely constructed the foundation for this one is.

Group A-9
vs.

Alucard vs. Anderson, though I think this one is overrated and won't have much staying power.

Group A-10
vs.

Akito vs. Naozumi, definitely. One of the most pronounced and direct shojo anime romantic rivalries.

Group A-11
vs.

I'm torn here. The former is well-established but doesn't last terribly long, while the latter defines its series but relies more heavily on its backstory than most to define its rivalry. I will give a slight edge to Vesper vs. Saint here based on it playing a proportionately greater role in its series.

Group A-12
vs.

San vs. Lady Eboshi is the fiercest rivalry to come out of a Miyazaki title and definitely one of the most symbolic of all anime rivalries. It should go far.

Group A-13
vs.

This one I am really, really torn about. Shizuo/Izaya is a great rivalry which deserves to go deep, but its competition isn't as much of a push-over as they might initially seem or as their vote total will probably show. No other rivalry in the entire tournament turns uglier than Sekai/Kotonoha does; no other one even comes close, in fact. Its resolution is already an anime legend and will be for a long time to come. In respect for how it takes an otherwise-bland series and turns it into one of the darker Shakespearen tragedies, I will make sure that Sekai vs. Kotonoha gets at least one vote.

Group A-14
vs.

I don't see Ed vs. Scar going too deep, but it is better-established and better-fleshed-out than what its competition is - and I say that despite nominating and writing up its competition.

Group A-15
vs.

The Gurren Lagann pairing will probably be a popular choice, but having seen both TV series, I don't think it's the better one here. Although that rivalry hits epic proportions, it also accounts for a relatively small portion of its series. Jomy vs. Keith, OTOH, is longer, arguably more bitter, and better-established. Theirs is equally as much as struggle for survival, with each representing the best their respective races have to offer and the embodiment of their hopes. That the two spoiler[die at the end of the series with the mutual recognition that the Mu-Human conflict must die with them] provides their rivalry an equally fitting, deeper, and far more elegant resolution.

Group A-16
vs.

Not exactly a powerhouse match-up. Arika vs. Nina is a rivalry that helped define many of the major events in that series, however, and it both functions on multiple levels and intertwines with their friendship in an interesting fashion. They get the win here.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Match A-1: Light vs L (Death Note)
This bracket's definite front-runner for the tournament.

Match A-2: Brandon Heat vs Harry McDowell (Gungrave)
Brandon and Harry's rivalry comes across as more personal to me due to the tight bonds they use to have as childhood friends and their support of one another as they rose through the ranks of Millenion until their differences tore things apart. Regardless, I see the winner of this match getting ousted by Light/L in the next round.

Match A-3: Dragons of Heaven vs Dragons of Earth (X)

Match A-4: Ichigo vs Renji (Bleach)

Match A-5: Spike Spiegel vs Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)
A tricky match to pick apart as both proved to be interesting rivalries when I seen them. But I have to give the edge to Spike/Vicious as their feud comes across as personal and intense throughout the several encounters that the two men have with one another in Cowboy Bebop, spoiler[all because of a woman].

Match A-6: Humans vs Shiki (Shiki)

Match A-7: Makoto vs Jinnai (El Hazard)

Match A-8: Team Inuyasha vs Naraku (Inuyasha)

Match A-9: Alucard vs Alexander Anderson (Hellsing)
Hate to pick off a rivalry I nominated. But Alucard/ Anderson is one of the grittier and interesting feuds to see in anime thanks to the colorful chemistry with both men whenever they clash and the fact they acknowledge one another as worthy adversaries.

Match A-10: Akito Hayama vs Naozumi Kamura (Kodocha)

Match A-11: Seishu Prefab Team vs Coach Daimon (Cross Game)
Biggest problem with Vesper/Saints is that we only get to see Mahoro and Ryuga be around for the most part in representing the rivalry among both factions.

Match A-12: Exorcists vs The Noah (D Gray Man)

Match A-13: Shizuo vs Izaya (Durarara)

Match A-14: Edward Elric vs Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist franchise)

Match A-15: Team Dai-Gurren vs Anti-Spiral (Gurren Lagann)
Another tricky one to judge as both were worthwhile rivalries to check out in both titles. But I have to go with the one that is more over-the-top and gritty to see.

Match A-16: Dark Mousy vs Krad (DN Angel)

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Group A-1: Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note

Group A-2: Asuna Kagurazaka vs. Ayaka Yukihiro, Negima franchise

Group A-3: Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magika

Group A-4: Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari, Bleach

Group A-5: Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop

Group A-6:Utena Tenjou vs. Ohtori Student Council, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Group A-7: Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari

Group A-8: Kimimaro Yoga vs. Soichiro Mikuni, C: The Money of Soul. .

Group A-9: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise

Group A-10: Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha

Group A-11: Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game

Group A-12: Exorcists vs. The Noah, D Gray Man

Group A-13: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!

Group A-14: Edward Elric vs. Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

Group A-15: Jomy Marcus Shin vs. Keith Anyan, Toward The Terra franchise
Arg, Key!! Why come u do this to me?! Anyway, it's a tough choice for me, I love both series after all. But Key made a good point that of all the rivalries in TTGL, the anti-spirals one only really comes in on the end. I most certainly think that any other rivalry in the show is more impressive, be it Kamina/Simon vs Viral or humans vs beastmen. Both rivalries are world changing ones and quite important, but the Jomy vs Keith one gets a hell of a lot more time to develop and we get more than just epic fight from them, I really got far more invested in Jomy vs Keith and I think that they definitely deserve to move on here as the superior rivalry (not that I will be sad if TTGL moves on, how could I be?)

Group A-16: Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA

Light Yagami v L. Although Death Note ultimately disappointed me, the first dozen episodes were utterly beguiling thanks to the schemes within schemes plotting of the two genii. So entranced was I that it sent me down the sinful path of downloading fansubs when my local video store ceased stocking episodes. Full marks also to the way the rivalry is resolved.

Group A-2
vs.

Asuna Kagurazaka v Ayaka Yukihiro. I'm not familiar with either but this write-up sounds slightly more interesting.

Group A-3
vs.

Dragons of Heaven v Dragons of Earth. The reason for the rivalry seems more important.

Group A-4
vs.

Meh. Toin coss. Sena Kobayakawa v Seijuro Shin.

Group A-5
vs.

I've seen both! Woohoo! Even though the Kenshin / Aoshi rivalry is more complex and nuanced and is ultimately resolved (in a fashion) by Kenshin's intelligent understanding of Aoshi's issues, there is nothing in the rivalry that comes anywhere near matching what you see in the Fallen Angels episode of Cowboy Bebop. It's one of my most watched episodes of any series and something I've used to wow a non-anime watcher. So it's Spike v Vicious for me on the strength of that one episode.

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Utena Tenjou v Ohtori Student Council if only because of its reputation and place in anime history. In other words, the safe choice.

Group A-7
vs.

Togame v Princess Hitei. I hate laughing villains. When I finally give away watching anime that'll be one of the main reasons.

Group A-8
vs.

Kimimaro Yoga v Soichiro Mikuni. Going by the write-ups, the dilemma in C: The Money of Soul sounds interesting and highly relevant in the real world where climate change is presenting us with just this sort of choice.

Group A-9
vs.
Marionettes vs. Sabre Dolls, Sabre Marionette J

Can't stand Hellsing and Saber Marionette sounds little better. Toin coss: Marionettes v Sabre Dolls.

Group A-10
vs.

Saki Miyanaga v Koromo Amae because it's over mahjong. There's lots of romance anime

Group A-11
vs.

Seishu Prefab Team v Coach Daimon. The write-up makes it sound more interesting.

Group A-12
vs.

San v Lady Eboshi. Well, I nominated them.

Group A-13
vs.

As much as I like Durarara!! the Shizuo / Izaya rivalry is spoiled by Shizuo's relative impotence. The Sekai Saionji v Kotonoha Katsura rivalry sounds insane.

Group A-14
vs.

Edward Elric v Scar. One of the highlights for me in the first TV series. Queen's Blade sounds repugnant to me.

Group A-15
vs.

Jomy Marcus Shin v Keith Anyan. Key's spoiler tipped the scales for me.

Group A-16
vs.

Arika Yumemiya v Nina Wang. The write-up is slightly better.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA

Light Yagami vs. L

Group A-2
vs.

Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell

Group A-3
vs.

Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth I have seen both. Sayaka and Kyoko are not good enough, period.

Group A-4
vs.

Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari

Group A-5
vs.

Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Humans vs. Shiki I nominated Utena Tenjou vs. Ohtori Student Council, so it pains me to vote against them. Unfortunately, as far as the intensity of rivalry is concerned Humans vs. Shiki are easily the better choice.

Group A-7
vs.

Togame vs. Princess Hitei

Group A-8
vs.

Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku Ok, I have seen both and I nominated Kimimaro Yoga vs. Soichiro Mikuni. I think that they deserve to be in this tournament, obviously. However, the there is also this problem that this series doesn't live up to its potential. What could and should have been a great series with a nail-baiting ending ruined a poorly executed fight where the characters' dialogue turns into a collection of clichés and truisms.

Group A-9
vs.

Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson

Group A-10
vs.

Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae

Group A-11
vs.

Seishu Prefab Team v Coach Daimon.

Group A-12
vs.

San vs. Lady Eboshi

Group A-13
vs.

Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara

Group A-14
vs.

Edward Elric vs. Scar

Group A-15
vs.

Jomy Marcus Shin vs. Keith Anyan

Group A-16
vs.

Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Generic #757858, Key won't count your votes unless you provide justification for your choice in at least one of the matches.

We're doing that right from the beginning now? Eh, nevermind then.

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858, Key won't count your votes unless you provide justification for your choice in at least one of the matches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA

Like others have mentioned, Yagami vs. L is the stronger choice here.

Group A-2
vs.

Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell

Group A-3
vs.

I honestly believe Sayaka vs Kyoko is a rather weak rivalry. Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth plays a larger role than Sayaka vs Kyoko for the story.

Group A-4
vs.

While I haven't seen the latter, I think I'll vote for it... Sena Kobayakawa v Seijuro Shin.

Group A-5
vs.

I was undecided but reading this allowed me to sense more hatred in Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious.

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

The Utena writeup didn't give me much of a sense of why it could be better than it's opponent so I'm voting for Humans vs. Shiki. The hate build up by the humans as the series went on could easily be seen as they take revenge upon the Shiki. Both sides suffered many casualties, spoiler[ nearly all the Shiki died and the humans suffered many casualties as well.] I think this may be a tough choice for many people.

Group A-7
vs.

Togame vs. Princess Hitei

Group A-8
vs.

Kimimaro Yoga vs. Soichiro Mikuni, this was a bit difficult but I'm more familiar with the former. Their ideology presents a huge conflict between both and near the end of the series, you can really see how battle it out.

Group A-9
vs.

Group A-10
vs.

Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae

Group A-11
vs.

Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon

Group A-12
vs.

I think this was another difficult choice, my write up for the D.Gray Man rivalry suffered from bad writing but I'll still vote for Exorcists vs. The Noah.

Group A-13
vs.

Group A-14
vs.

Edward Elric vs. Scar

Group A-15
vs.

Jomy Marcus Shin vs. Keith Anyan - I like this writeup better and it seems like it may be interesting to see in future set ups.

Group A-16
vs.

Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA
Light vs. L. No competition.

Group A-2
vs.
Asuna vs. Ayaka

Group A-3
vs.
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth

Group A-4
vs.
Ichigo vs. Renji

Group A-5
vs.
Kenshin vs. Aoshi gets my vote because it's better established, more intense, has a much bigger impact on the series, and the characters are more at odds than spike vs. vicious.

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki

Group A-7
vs.
Makoto vs. Katsuhiro

Group A-8
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku is one of the longest-lasting, most intense rivalries in this tournament. What makes it great is that the stakes are high (the entire world), so anyone and everyone has a reason to fight but at the same time this rivalry is extremely personal with love, family, power, and their very survival on the line.

Group A-9
vs.

Group A-10
vs.
Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura

Group A-11
vs.
Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon

Group A-12
vs.
San vs. Lady Eboshi

Group A-13
vs.
Sekai vs. Kotonoha gets my vote because of its originality and intensity. Someone said it earlier and I have to agree; few of the rivalries in this tournament reach this level of downright hatred and brutality, something you wouldn't expect at all from a school love show.

Group A-14
vs.
Edward Elric vs. Scar

Group A-15
vs.
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral because it involves the survival of the entire human race, yet is given a personal and bitter edge when spoiler[Simon's fiance Nia is possessed by the Anti-Spirals and made into their avatar of the apocalypse.]

Group A-16
vs.
Dark Mousy vs. Krad
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
...Eh, nevermind then.

Your vote matters. Smile

You only need to put a reason for one of your choices.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note

I was a bit torn here ... but only because I don't want to see the NANA guys go down with no votes. But in the end, I just couldn't justify even a pity vote because in this match-up they are just so completely outclassed.

Group A-2
Voting for: Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell, Gungrave

Group A-3
Voting for: Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV

I love Madoka Magika to death, really I do. But the only rivalry that really fit the criteria for this tournament from that series was not a very strong one and the X teams easily beat them out here.

Group A-4
Voting for: Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari, Bleach

Group A-5
Voting for: Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop

Group A-6
Voting for: Utena Tenjou vs. Ohtori Student Council, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Group A-7
Voting for: Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari

Group A-8
Voting for: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Group A-9
Voting for: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise

Group A-10
Voting for: Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae, Saki

Group A-11
Voting for: Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game

Group A-12
Voting for: Exorcists vs. The Noah, D Gray Man

Group A-13
Voting for: Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura, School Days

Group A-14
Voting for: Edward Elric vs. Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

Group A-15
Voting for: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann

Group A-16
Voting for: Dark Mousy vs. Krad, D.N. Angel
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note vs. Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA
Voting for: Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
I know I nominated them, but I didn't expect them to battle against one of the fiercest of rivalries immediately. Indeed, no competition.

Group A-2
Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell, Gungrave vs. Asuna Kagurazaka vs. Ayaka Yukihiro, Negima franchise
Voting for: Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell, Gungrave
I haven't seen either series, but going for the first one based on write-up. I'm wondering why the girls are rivals actually, if one of them is so refined and intelligent Wink. What do they pick fights over, for example?

Group A-3
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV vs. Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magika
Voting for: Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magika

Group A-4
Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari, Bleach vs. Sena Kobayakawa vs. Seijuro Shin, Eyeshield 21
Voting for: Sena Kobayakawa vs. Seijuro Shin, Eyeshield 21

Group A-5
Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop vs. Himura Kenshin vs. Aoshi, Ruroni Kenshin
Voting for: Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki vs. Utena Tenjou vs. Ohtori Student Council, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Voting for: Utena Tenjou vs. Ohtori Student Council, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Group A-7
Makoto Mizuhara vs. Katsuhiro Jinnai, El Hazard franchise vs. Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari
Voting for: Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari

Group A-8
Kimimaro Yoga vs. Soichiro Mikuni, C: The Money of Soul. . vs. Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise
Voting for: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Group A-9
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise vs. Marionettes vs. Saber Dolls, Saber Marionette J
Voting for: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise

Group A-10
Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha vs. Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae, Saki
Voting for: Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae, Saki

Group A-11
Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game vs. Vesper vs. Saint, Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden
Voting for: Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game

Group A-12
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke vs. Exorcists vs. The Noah, D Gray Man
Voting for: San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
Going with the first one. The latter seems only about possessing something, Princess Mononoke addresses different values, peace and environment.

Group A-13
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!! vs. Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura, School Days
Voting for: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!
I don't really agree that Shizuo's relative impotence spoils the rivalry in Durarara!! - it makes it one of the most hilarious and worthwhile rivalries to watch, seeing those two clash. I had the opposite reaction while watching School Days - bloodshed and murder in school romance? Going a bit too far maybe?

Group A-14
Edward Elric vs. Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise vs. ”Thunder General” Claudette vs. Leina Vance, Queen’s Blade
Voting for: Edward Elric vs. Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

Group A-15
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann vs. Jomy Marcus Shin vs. Keith Anyan, Toward The Terra franchise
Voting for: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann

Group A-16
Dark Mousy vs. Krad, D.N. Angel vs. Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome
Voting for: Dark Mousy vs. Krad, D.N. Angel
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Blast vs. Trapnest, NANA

Light Yagami vs. L

Group A-2
vs.

Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell- no doubt about it- Harry's and Brandon's relationship goes all the way from brotherly love to pure hatred. Best friends who want each other dead- but at the same time can't really go on without having the other one by their side made up a really good story.

Group A-3
vs.

Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth

Group A-4
vs.

Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari

Group A-5
vs.

Spiegel vs. Vicious- tough call, but I don't know Kenshin rivalry well enough to vote for it.

Group A-6
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Humans vs. Shiki- it was one of the most interesting rivalries of the past few seasons that stirred a good deal of philosophical disputes (both in the series as well as outside of it). From the beginning minutes to the very last seconds portrays a desperate struggle to survive of both humans and vampires, and kept me on the edge of my seat.

Group A-7
vs.

Togame vs. Princess Hitei[

Group A-8
vs.

Kimimaro Yoga vs. Soichiro Mikuni

Group A-9
vs.

Group A-10
vs.

Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura

Group A-11
vs.

Vesper vs. Saint

Group A-12
vs.

San vs Lady Eboshi

Group A-13
vs.

Group A-14
vs.

Ed Elric vs Scar- I am not too familiar with the other show, and I cant see how it can top up Ed vs Scar conflict- regardless whether you pick FMA or Brotherhood, the rivalry and its resolution are one of the pivotal axis of the show.

Group A-15
vs.

Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral

Group A-16
vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome[/quote]

Arika Yumemiya vs Nina Wang

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 38