• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group C is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Last time around there was one match that went down to the wire but the rest were either strong victories or blow-outs. That means that all but one of the remaining 16 participants in this group (the exception being Humans vs. Machines) posted an impressive win last time, so the competition should be considerably stronger this time. But will that be enough to prevent another rash of blow-outs?

Group C-17
Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe, Princess Tutu
vs.
Goku vs. Piccolo Jr., Dragon Ball

Group C-18
Kamina and Simon vs. Viral, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Catians vs. Dogisians, Cat Planet Cuties

Group C-19
Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
The Seleçao, Eden of the East

Group C-20
The Organization vs. Yoma/Awakened Beings, Claymore
vs.
Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Group C-21
Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask
vs.
Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio, Pokemon franchise

Group C-22
Humans vs. Machines, The Animatrix
vs.
Kouga vs. Iga clans, Basilisk

Group C-23
Arsene Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III Franchise
vs.
Outlaw Star Crew vs. MacDougal Brothers, Outlaw Star

Group C-24
Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma ½
vs.
Mugen vs. Jin, Samurai Champloo

Last edited by Key on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hey Key, why did you close it early? I just got home with 5 mins to spare before closing, only to see that you closed it early =C I can see that my vote would not have made a difference, but I really like voting. Hopefully I get the opportunity next time.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
First, to Tris8: I didn't close early. Each week closes at midnight U.S. EST, which was an hour ago as I post this. Note when this is in your time zone for future reference.

Group C-17
vs.

Doubt I need to make much for arguments here. Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. is a respectable rivalry, but the Tutu vs. Krahe conflict works on multiple levels and is more intrinsic to its series' story; put another way, DB would still be DB without Goku vs. Piccolo Jr., but the same could not be said for Princess Tutu. And, let's be honest, the Tutu/Krahe conflict is, in its peak moments, a thing of beauty, and that's something that I don't believe any other competitor in the tournament can claim.

Group C-18
vs.

This is a more difficult pick than it might appear, because the GL face-off has some weaknesses - not as central to the overall story, peters off after the first third of the series - that level the playing field. I'm sure that it will still win, as I know it's hard to take a series named Cat Planet Cuties seriously, but I think Catians vs. Dogisians has enough inherent conflict to be deserving of at least some support. Besides, representatives and/or allies of the two sides directly conflict about as often as the GL opponents do (despite it being a shorter series), the Dogisians are plotting against the Catians most of the rest of the time, and there is a long-standing tradition of rivalry between the two races.

Group C-19
vs.

Pretty sure I know who's going to win this one, too. I'll put in a vote for The Selecao because, again, I think they have enough rivalry content going on to deserve a few even in a losing cause.

Group C-20
vs.

A toughie here. There's certainly plenty of animosity going on to support the Claymore case, but the unity of purpose in the two sides is too nebulous and Sousuke vs. Gauron is a more direct and clearly-defined conflict that brings out a greater sense of a true rivalry. It deserve to win this round for the way the rivalry ends in Final Raid alone.

Group C-21
vs.

I'll be interested to see how this one plays out, too, but Ash vs. Team Rocket has an awful lot of mileage and is unquestionably a true rivalry.

Group C-22
vs.

Not even remotely close. If Kouga vs. Iga doesn't win this in a blow-out then something's wrong. There is not a more intense and bloody clan-vs.-clan rivalry in anime, and the tragic elements at its center only give it greater weight.

Group C-23
vs.

Another hard call. Based on some concerns voiced about the former pairing in the nominations phase, I support OSC vs. MacDougals here.

Group C-24
vs.

Have no preference here. Mugen vs. Jin, but I'll listen to arguments the other way if good enough ones are posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Group C-17
vs.

Based on very many positive and convincing arguments from previous rounds and elsewhere on the forum.

Group C-18
vs.

Group C-19
vs.

Group C-20

vs.

Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron

Group C-21
vs.

Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio- I do not know much about either, so I leave it to a coin toss.

Group C-22
vs.

Kouga vs. Iga clans- this is a classic rivalry two clans that fight each other until the other one is annihilated with a love affair in the middle. Both clans are made up of interesting individuals, each possessing a different skill- and their confrontations are always fascinating to watch, regardless who you are rooting form

Group C-23
vs.

Group C-24
vs.

MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Group C-17
Tutu's my favorite series so I'm obviously biased here, but I don't think the show's story would've been nearly as effective without this well-written rivalry. Their rivalry is intense to the bitter end, particularly because of how each girl is struggling not only with her rival but her own questions about their identities. In a way, they work well as rivals because of how the personalities contrast and compare with each other. The way they interact reveals a lot about both of them as characters.

Group C-18
I haven't seen much of either of these series, so I'm going with the Gurren Lagann rivalry just because of how iconic it is. I could probably be convinced to change my mind.

Group C-19
Voting based on the guide. Both seem like strong contenders, but I was interested in how strategic and almost game-like the rivalry is among the Selecao. I might change my vote later.

Group C-20
Gauron's obsession with Sousuke, and the lengths he goes to force Sousuke to fight him, are some of the most memorable and enjoyable parts of the FMP! franchise for me. In a sense, Gauron represents Sousuke's past as a soldier and the trauma he's gone through after growing up on the battlefield (while Sousuke's love interest Kaname tends to be the force that tries to bring out his more human side, instead of the efficient soldier). I don't think the write-up in the guide really properly reflects how intense of a pressure Sousuke is put under by Gauron, to the point that even on his death bed he still is able to get a strong emotional reaction out of Sousuke. I definitely think they deserve to go on.

Group C-21
Because...well, nostalgia. Plus, what the guide says is true, the show would lose a lot of its drama AND comedy without Team Rocket constantly trying to get Pikachu.

Group C-22
Kouga vs. Iga clans
I've only seen bits of Animatrix and I haven't seen Basilisk at all, so I'm voting based on the arguments from other voters.

Group C-23

Group C-24
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
Group C-17
Voting for: Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe, Princess Tutu

I expect that the Tutu pair is going to be pretty unstoppable here and with good reason. I haven't seen anything yet worth stopping them.

Group C-18
Voting for: Kamina and Simon vs. Viral, Gurren Lagann

Group C-19
Voting for: The Seleçao, Eden of the East

Going with the Selecao for sheer numbers, mostly, since it just gives it more rivalries to deal with.

Group C-20
Voting for: Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Group C-21
Voting for: Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask

The Pokemon guys lose out because that rivalry, while amusing, really doesn't develop much (at least not from what I've seen of them). Glass Mask, in contrast, sounds very complex and interesting.

Group C-22
Voting for: Kouga vs. Iga clans, Basilisk

The Matrix rivalry got a fair amount of votes/arguments against it last round so I don't really think it deserves my support at this point.

Group C-23
Voting for: Arsene Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III Franchise

Group C-24
Voting for: Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma ½
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
Group C-17
vs.
Voting for: Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe
I thought Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. wasn't the best rivalry in its franchise and somehow vanishes in Dragonball Z, they even become friends. I admit on not seeing the first Dragonball series though. I have seen Princess Tutu a long time ago and agree with other arguments made in favor of Princess Tutu and Princess Krahe.

Group C-18
vs.
Voting for: Kamina and Simon vs. Viral

Group C-19
vs.
Voting for: Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm

Group C-20
vs.
Voting for: The Organization vs. Yoma/Awakened Beings
Don't know much about either series.

Group C-21
vs.
Voting for: Maya Kitajima vs. Ayumi Himekawa
It seems like people vote for Pokemon because it's one of the best known Japanese franchises and rivalries ever. Indeed, seeing Team Rocket fail every time never gets old, but I believe the competition is much better. Maya and Ayumi both compete for the same role and because they're both really talented, they are worthy rivals. They have to work very hard in a difficult business, full of competition and people who want to bring you down, gossip. One example is Maya trying to understand the role of a blind&deaf girl and thus blinding her eyes for days, with the danger of accidents like falling of the stairs. Or trying to mimic a doll falling of a chair and repeating it a lot of times to get it right (ouch!). Other aspects that make this rivalry work IMO: they both hate scheming and other foul tactics to achieve their goal and they acknowledge each other's talents, take each other seriously.

Group C-22
vs.
Voting for: Kouga vs. Iga Clans

Group C-23
vs.
Voting for: Arsen Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata
Don't know much about this one either, so more opinions please Wink!

Group C-24
vs.
Mugen vs. Jin, Samurai Champloo[/quote]
Voting for: Mugen vs. Jin
Don't know Ranma ½, liked Mugen vs. Jin. Fuu has a hard time trying to keep them from fighting.

Edit: Forgot to put one vote in bold.

Last edited by A Mystery on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
Group C-17

GAH! I've tried 3 times trying to explain why Tutu and Krahe don't have a real friendship...but I really can't put my finger on it. In a way, I think that Tutu might pity Krahe because of the way that she was manipulated but I just don't think it was ever a friendship, which for me, brings down the whole purpose of this contest.

Group C-18

Dogs and Cats have been rivals since Time began. That's not going to change here!

Group C-19

I'm not really sure how to vote here but I'm going to lean towards the Idealogical Rivalry.

Group C-20

"Hello, Kasheem!" ( or however it was spelled) Gauron was the only guy to really make Sousuke lose his head. The one that drove him to a madness that only Kaname could bring him out of. Twice. Excellent Rivalry especially since spoiler[Gauron just would not die! And even from his bed, cause pain and suffering to Sousuke.]

Group C-21

Yes, Team Rocket are a bunch of bumbling idiots, but even bumbling idiots succeed every now and then. And they succeed here for being a darn good long lasting rivalry.

Group C-22

Group C-23

Group C-24

Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Group C-17
vs.

Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe

Group C-18
vs.

Kamina and Simon vs. Viral

Group C-19
vs.

I'm familiar with both and the rivalry between Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm is the better one. Their rivalry works on multiple layers: ideological, military etc. The rivalry has a lasting impact on their world. The impact is so enormous that it doesn't disappear even after reaching its conclusion. The Seleçao is a good rivalry, but their opponents outclass them.

Group C-20
vs.

Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron

Group C-21
vs.

Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa

A Mystery wrote:
It seems like people vote for Pokemon because it's one of the best known Japanese franchises and rivalries ever. Indeed, seeing Team Rocket fail every time never gets old, but I believe the competition is much better. Maya and Ayumi both compete for the same role and because they're both really talented, they are worthy rivals. They have to work very hard in a difficult business, full of competition and people who want to bring you down, gossip. One example is Maya trying to understand the role of a blind&deaf girl and thus blinding her eyes for days, with the danger of accidents like falling of the stairs. Or trying to mimic a doll falling of a chair and repeating it a lot of times to get it right (ouch!). Other aspects that make this rivalry work IMO: they both hate scheming and other foul tactics to achieve their goal and they acknowledge each other's talents, take each other seriously.

I couldn't agree more.

Group C-22
vs.

Kouga vs. Iga clans

Group C-23
vs.

Outlaw Star Crew vs. MacDougal Brothers

Group C-24
vs.

Mugen vs. Jin
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
GAH! I've tried 3 times trying to explain why Tutu and Krahe don't have a real friendship...but I really can't put my finger on it. In a way, I think that Tutu might pity Krahe because of the way that she was manipulated but I just don't think it was ever a friendship, which for me, brings down the whole purpose of this contest.

Except Duck befriended Rue before either knew the other's magical girl identity, and Duck pretty much thought Rue was perfect at that point, so it couldn't have been pity. I don't think it was jealousy either, as Duck's primary goal was was Mytho's happiness, and befriending his girlfriend to make sure everything was working out seems kind of like a logical step from there.

That said, given that you seem to be complaining about them, it's odd that your vote would be for them.

Also: Results!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Match C-17: Princess Tutu vs Princess Krahe (Princess Tutu)
It's gonna take a heated and famous feud to threaten Tutu and Krahe's rivalry for this tourney run. Considering Goku and Piccolo bury the hatchet with their feud when the Saiyans invade in DBZ, it's too minor to be of significant threat to the ballerinas at this point in the game.

Match C-18: Kamina and Simon vs Viral (Gurren Lagann)

Match C-19: Yang Wen-Li vs Reinhard von Lohengramm (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Match C-20: Sousuke Sagara vs Gauron (Full Metal Panic)
The Claymore feud is more Clare and her posse against the Organization and Yoma considering we don't know much about the motives of the Organization and they aren't afraid to send Claymores to the slaughter of Yoma threats too overwhelming for them to handle. Meanwhile, there is a more defined sense of personal animosity and history between Sousuke and Gauron throughout Full Metal Panic's first season. So I definitely have to favor FMP for another round.

Match C-21: Ash and Friends vs Team Rocket (Pokemon)

Match C-22: Kouga vs Iga (Basilisk)

Match C-23: Arsene Lupin III vs Inspector Zenigata (Lupin the 3rd franchise)
Going for the more memorable and comical feud to come out of anime. The McDougalls and Outlaw Star crew have their clashes yet they don't define an entire series like the many encounters and fun chemistry that Lupin and Zenigata have with one another as thief and detective.

Match C-24: Mugen vs Jin (Samurai Champloo)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Man, this has a lot of tough calls for me, let's hope I can manage this!

Group C-17
Eh, maybe it's how Goku and Piccolo become allies in the far more popular DBZ, but Kraehe and Tutu are something special anyway.

Group C-18

Group C-19
Few rivalries in this series can claim that they changed the very course of the history of the world in which they inhabit. This one can, it's an easy vote from me. This is also the type of rivalry where the participants really are on incredibly equal terms, they know this, and they respect the other side for it.

Group C-20

Group C-21
Aww man! I love Pokemon! But I've also seen enough of Glass Mask to know that this is a rivalry much like Hikaru Shindo and Akira Toya's, the type that drives both characters to be better.
Pokemon on the other hand? Name a time Team Rocket didn't go spiraling off into the sky. The outcome is pretty one sided for them, there's really nothing going for them. I mean, seriously, Team Rocket has a Wobbuffet and ignores its existence? You guys have an uber, you dorks! I can't possibly respect that, lol, how dare you fail to use my favorite pokemon so much! At least both sides acknowledge the rivalry of the other, but the outcome never changes. As iconic as this rivalry is, they really aren't the stronger choice here.
Also, is there any particular reason Ash & Co. cannot recognize their rivals when they so much as put on a pair of glasses?

Group C-22
This takes up pretty much the entire series and it is a long line of glorious destruction and death!

Group C-23
Hmm, similar to Team Rocket, you know Zenigata's not gonna win, he's not exactly a big threat to Lupin. The McDougal brothers are actually a threat and very competent, you can understand why everyone freaks out when they're around, so my vote goes for them.

Group C-24
Ooh, a tough one for me. Ranma has stolen Ryoga's breads and knocked him into a cursed spring, yet poor Ryoga, he always loses. Mugen and Jin started feuding because they happened to be in the same room and didn't like each other's faces, can't say they went back very far there. Then they spend a lot of the series following [s]Norma Beatty[/s] Fuu and not actively fighting each other, so I'll go with Ranma and Ryoga here.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

That said, given that you seem to be complaining about them, it's odd that your vote would be for them.

Oh, I wasn't complaining about them! I was complaining over my not being able to adequately explain WHY I was voting for them over the other rivals. Embarassed
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
C-17
Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe, Princess Tutu vs.
Choosing: Tutu vs Krahe
Because Haven't seen Dragon Ball, and since no one has given a reason that Goku vs Piccolo Jr is great rather than just good (or even voted for them yet, for that matter), I'll stick with the fan favorite magical girl pair.

C-18
Catians vs. Dogisians, Cat Planet Cuties vs.
Choosing: Kamina & Simon vs Viral
Because I think part of what hurts the Cats and Dogs nominee is that a lot of the conflict is behind the scenes, and the Catians aren't even aware that the Dogisians are present until a decent ways into the series. Key mentioned that the GL rivalry peters out over the series, but before it does that, it helps build up the characters on both sides, helping them find their personal identities along the way. This is particularly important for Simon, and that should be enough for this round.

C-19
Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of the Galactic Heroes vs.
Choosing: Yang vs Reinhard
Because As much as I resent Yang and Reinhard for trouncing Kazuki and Chouno last round, I'm just not feeling it for the Selecao. It's interesting, no doubt, but I feel there wasn't enough actual conflict between many of them to merit them moving on beyond this round.

C-20
The Organization vs. Yoma/Awakened Beings, Claymore vs.
Choosing: Sousuke vs Gauron
Because The conflict between Sousuke and Gauron is brutal, plot-critical, and compelling. While the ongoing battle between the yoma and the Organization in Claymore is pretty central, it isn't particularly well fleshed-out in the anime, and that's going to cost it here.

C-21
Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask vs.
Choosing: Maya vs Ayumi
Because Despite Pokemon's iconic and nostalgic charm, and the entertainment value it provides, the supporters of Glass Mask have swayed my vote. Also, I may be splitting hairs, but I feel the Pokemon nominee owes a lot more of its appeal to Team Rocket's outrageous actions than the specific conflict.

C-22
Humans vs. Machines, The Animatrix vs.
Choosing: Kouga vs Iga
Because Following everyone else.

C-23
Arsene Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III Franchise vs.
Choosing: Lupin vs Zenigata
Because The Outlaw Star rivalry is a good one, and Ron's obsession with Melfina makes things a little more complicated than the two sides just being adversaries, but it's just not terribly prominent in the series. Lupin vs Zenigata is a huge part of what that show is about, so I'm going for them this time around.

C-24
Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma ½ vs.
Choosing: Mugen vs Jin
Because Ranma and Ryoga have more history and comedy in their conflict, and they clash more often, but Mugen and Jin clash in a broader variety of ways, such as their style and personalities. They even continue to attempt battling each other for several episodes after Fuu makes them promise not to before they repay their debt to her. spoiler[There's also the issue of the series final effort to resolve their feud, wherein both of their swords break and they are unable to determine a victor.]
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
vs.

My vote goes to: Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe.

Group C-18
vs.

My vote goes to: Catians vs. Dogisians.

Group C-19
vs.

My vote goes to: The Seleçao.

Group C-20
vs.

Every confrontation between these two delves more into their past battles. It especially hurts Sousuke psychologically since Gauron uses the past as "motivation" to draw out Sousuke's potential. Gauron also seems to have a knack for ruining whatever good is in Sousuke's life.

My vote goes to: Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron.

Group C-21
vs.

My vote goes to: Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio.

Group C-22
vs.

I have never seen the series but the Romeo and Juliet with ninjas twist sounds interesting.

My vote goes to: Kouga vs. Iga clans.

Group C-23
vs.

My vote goes to: Arsene Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata.

Group C-24
vs.

My vote goes to: Mugen vs. Jin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 38