• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Attractive Anime Girl Contest (and Stereotype Battle)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Okay, I might as well just go ahead and say that all my posts are worthless as apparently I like to stereotype my own gender.

No they're not so don't think that Aromatic Grass. Seriously, your posts aren't worthless so don't get so down.

As for Cloe's comment.....honestly I'm surprised it took this long for a woman here to say anything similar. Heck, most nominations aren't even getting real explanations and could run the line as not much more then lists. I figured this would have been locked a while ago since most weren't explaining their choices in any real depth other then she's hawt or looks great.

As for Bamboo;
Quote:
If you were having a "most attractive anime girl" contest that combined personality, brains, and looks, then that's totally valid, but the fact that you're separating their looks and their personalities is kind of misogynistic.
I tried incorporating the personality aspects of my nomination and once or twice have tried to mention personalities being mentioned along with nominations. As they say though no dice. I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job Bamboo, so please don't think that, but if you think this is going no where and rude to women why not lock it? You obviously can and if as an admin you feel this is becoming degrading towards women or rude in general why not stop it before it continues? Mention what changes need to be made for such a thread to be allowed at the very least. Like I said, not trying to tell you how to do your job. Just saying you have the power to make this more appropriate towards women if you feel it's necessary so why not do it?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Visually appealing or sexually appealing basically?
Whichever you prefer. I purposefully avoided specifying something like this in my opening post. So it's up to each participant to use their own criteria, as long as it is primarily based on looks. Especially with drawings, I think these two aspects can blend into each other somewhat, being a bit ambiguous, yet all the more interesting.

I would like to remind everyone that even though right now the opening post still refers to girls, I said later on that it is ok to vote for guys and animals. I haven't revised the opening post to specifically include guys yet because I would prefer it to remain girls-only if possible (it's easier to judge the looks of a girl against another girl than a girl against a guy). But if someone really wants to vote for a guy or animal, go ahead.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
If you were having a "most attractive anime girl" contest that combined personality, brains, and looks, then that's totally valid, but the fact that you're separating their looks and their personalities is kind of misogynistic. You may as well be comparing furniture.

I really think you should follow this Porcupine. I don't like having to vote based on looks only. Looks may effect how I vote but it would give me peice of mind knowing personality and brains are up for considerion. I'm not trying to tell you what to do I'm just giving my opinion.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
But if someone really wants to vote for a guy or animal, go ahead.

Most major male characters are hot. Who cares about their personality? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
This thread is ridiculous. It ultimately comes down to character design...
Indeed this thread mostly comes down to character design. And as some others have said, what's wrong with that? Character Design is a serious profession and one of the core concerns for any anime production. Saying that character design discussions are ridiculous is like telling Takahiro Kimura, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Noizi Ito, etc, that their entire life's work is pointless and not worthy of any discussion. Would any anime fan dare do that? I am guessing not.

It might be time for me to revise my opening post soon. If people want, I could emphasize that while this contest is supposed to be based purely on looks, that does not mean that I think all other aspects of a character are unimportant.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Alrighty heres mine: Miyu from Vampire Princess Miyu...Despite her cold exterior she has a good heart...she is also a protector of the human race. She puts her life on the line for people around her, though for those tricked by the demons she fights she does seem cold but it is only because there is nothing she can do for some of them. And really it is their fault sometimes...in a sense at least. She is also a pretty strong female lead, and has a really strong character to match her actual power.

http://www.geocities.com/area51/zone/1244/miyured.gif

http://www.aicasia.com/products/vpm/image/miyu_miyu.jpg

http://www.animint.com/galerie/albums/userpics/10001/normal_div_miyuviolet.jpg
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Heck, most nominations aren't even getting real explanations and could run the line as not much more then lists. I figured this would have been locked a while ago since most weren't explaining their choices in any real depth
I never specified that explanations HAD to be given, especially for the initial nominations. I didn't even bother to give an explanation for mine. The ratings and comments part is supposed to be where the discussion takes place. But so far I'm the only one who rated the other people's characters.

Why don't some of the rest of you (who are participating) try to rate and comment on the other characters? I guess I should revise my opening post to say that we've reached the point where we should rate each other's choices now.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
darkside, there are a couple big reasons why I don't want to do the obvious thing of rating characters based on all factors (a combination of looks, personality, etc). For one, that's what most rating competitions would probably do. I would like this thread to be different. By specifying looks-only, this thread might SEEM more shallow, but in actuality the discussion has the potential to be far more intelligent, original, serious, in-depth, and less subjective than a typical "which girl do you like the most" thread.

Second, doing things the generic way, people are more likely to vote for "popular" characters rather than characters that really deserve to be chosen. I would like for popularity to not influence this thread. I would for the discussion to be more in-depth and analytical, and for people to decide for themselves who they want, and for people to think about why they end up chosing who they do.

So it's better to narrow down and focus on ONE aspect of characters, that's a great way to make a more specific and objective discussion in my opinion. I could have chosen "personality only" too. But personality only is hard to do, what if you haven't seen the show? Then you can't vote. With "looks-only" anyone can vote so long as you have some good reference pictures to look at. And with "looks-only" we also get nice pictures posted throughout this thread for us all to look at, and certain anime series can get some nice exposure this way.. With "personality-only" this would be a dull contest. And with "everything combined" we'd just be another one of those "which girl do you like the most" thread with everone just voting for the same popular girls from anime that are popular these days.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I understand Porcupine. It's just the thing that worrys me is that characters who don't even have one of the other factors and the only thing they have going for them are there big breasts knock out characters who don't have the big breasts but have more likeable reasons to move on. I know I shouldn’t take this seriously but I don’t like it when women feel they need to make themselves out in be idiots because they think it will make them sexier.

EDIT I should add that while I don't think this situation would tell people that men like thier women morons I think it would be very shallow to say "this character has a good personality and a lot of brains but she not moving on because her breasts weren't big enough.

Last edited by darksideoftheanime on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Not everyone finds big breasts attractive. I voted for a girl who has very small breasts.

Many of the other girls who have been nominated so far do not have big breasts either. Shana, Eureka, etc. I can understand your worry, but with the current nominations it seems that the things you worry about aren't materializing anyway.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job Bamboo, so please don't think that, but if you think this is going no where and rude to women why not lock it? You obviously can and if as an admin you feel this is becoming degrading towards women or rude in general why not stop it before it continues? Mention what changes need to be made for such a thread to be allowed at the very least. Like I said, not trying to tell you how to do your job. Just saying you have the power to make this more appropriate towards women if you feel it's necessary so why not do it?

*shrug* Just because I think the thread is silly, doesn't mean I'm going to lock it. I see no problem with the thread-- I'm just voicing my opinion.

Though, since Porcupine eventually wants to vote for "guys and animals," well-- I kind of want to see what will happen. I mean, come on, sexiest animal? That'll just be entertaining, if not wholly disturbing.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Many of the other girls who have been nominated so far do not have big breasts either. Shana, Eureka, etc. I can understand your worry, but with the current nominations it seems that the things you worry about aren't materializing anyway.

Which is why I still have hope for this thread. People have nominated characters who have more merits to them then just being good looking. I just hope it stays that way.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Unlocked. Do whatever the hell you guys want.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Ha ha. Laughing Poor Tony. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I thought you were being helpful Tony and your new thread with ideas were good ones. Sorry you feel like everyone was getting on you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8