• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:04 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
(frankly I don't think there even are male characters there)

Yeah, MahoAko doesn't have any boys in it.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:33 pm Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:
*le sigh* my biggest gripe with the anime industry right now is the push for quantity over quality. It is abundantly apparent in almost every new anime adaptation these days. Without enough staff who are properly trained and paid accordingly, the shows suffer and so does the audience.

So far, in my opinion, no new shows this season are worthy of airing on a streaming service. They should’ve been dumped on Tubi. Hopefully the next two weeks will provide some better quality content.

Basically, I’m tired of all these pig slop anime adaptations. I’m grateful for the anime backlog of older shows so I continue to have plenty to enjoy while waiting for the better than mediocre and the diamond in the rough newer shows to appear.

You say that, but streaming material tends to be crap anyhow. Like how many Netflix anime (or pseudo-anime, since they think half their animated lineup fits that moniker) are actually considered anything beyond medeocre? Crunchyroll's original titles have been treated with derision. It's only fair that most of these titles share the same services.

That doesn't mean I like it, but that's the grave companies like Kadokawa, Netflix, and the like have dug.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:12 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
You say that, but streaming material tends to be crap anyhow. Like how many Netflix anime (or pseudo-anime, since they think half their animated lineup fits that moniker) are actually considered anything beyond medeocre?

Let's see. . . if we limit ourselves to just the past year and only to titles that originated on Netflix, the "beyond mediocre" ones would include the following:

Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead
My Happy Marriage
Scott Pilgrim Takes Off
Pluto
Delicious in Dungeon
Grimm Variations (arguably)
My Oni Girl

Granted, Netflix's anime originals track record was much spottier prior to the Summer 2023 season, but it has distinctly improved of late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MartinWisse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:18 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quote:
Granted, Netflix's anime originals track record was much spottier prior to the Summer 2023 season, but it has distinctly improved of late.

Netflix still treats most anime like content slob, just dumped on their platform for us piggies to binge, like e.g. Rising Impact recently, but has recognised that it works to treat some like a prestige series. Dungeon Meshi being the obvious example here, which got released weekly rather than as a batch and had some care put into it from Netflix as well.

For those series it has also allowed them to be more anime rather than have them be as generic as possible like a lot of their 'original' content designed to make you watch a series but not remember it afterwards...
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:45 am Reply with quote
For my wife has no emotions, I kinda wonder about the implications that this robot makes itself available and appealing to a new master as soon as it is sold second hand. That makes it feel far more artificial, like it does this for who ever possesses it. IE that its just an illusion that its personally interested in the protagonist or cares about him. Its just doing its job as an artificial entity. Just like the Ego trap of the virtual girlfriend in Blade Runner 2, what it does for someone it does for anyone.

Then again, the automatically providing service, care and love from an instant girlfriend has been a thing in anime in forever. Their care really comes cheaply and for anyone doesnt it?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:32 am Reply with quote
I, for one, welcome this low-key, relatively self-contained reacclimation of a season premiere for SHY. Jumping straight into the next big arc right from the get-go would have been too disorienting.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
Man, what a wet fart of a season so far. We've been feasting too well lately on the likes of Frieren, Mushoku Tensei, 100 Girlfriends, Sound! Euphonium, The Dangers in My Heart, Delicious in Dungeon, Apothecary Diaries, Spy x Family, Konosuba, Yuru Camp, The Eminence in Shadow, on and on. Guess one clunker season was nearly inevitable. I'm not saying there's nothing good yet to come, but it's been a discouraging start. Too bad they couldn't have moved one of all the returning shows from the fall to the current season. Shangri-La Frontier certainly would have benefited from not having to complete with Re:Zero, Blue Lock, Danmachi, et al.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:41 am Reply with quote
Looking at these reviews and the list of what's coming up . . . yep, what we got going on here is a "backlog catch-up season," and for that I'm kind of grateful. Every once in a while, I need one.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:58 am Reply with quote
I for one welcome a calm season after a slew of heavily packed ones filled with masterpieces. That is not to say that Summer looks like garbage though, I would call it just okay so far.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:44 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Man, what a wet fart of a season so far.

I always find it amusing when people make comments like this after only a tiny fraction of the season's titles (less than 1/8, in this case) have debuted.

EDIT: Besides, Oshi no Ko's return (which, admittedly, came up since this post was made) is already staking the series out for a potential "best of season" run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Here, Aqua and his friends are adapting a stage play based on the fictional anime Tokyo Blade, which feels vaguely inspired by Demon Slayer.

Please, let us not cheapen the wonder that is Oshi no Ko by speaking of the hot garbage heap known as Demon Blade, er, Slayer.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:54 am Reply with quote
Caitlin Moore wrote:

It's a clever move on a couple of levels. For one thing, it gave me a sense of what a “2.5D play” is. As far as I know, the term is unique to Japanese otaku culture and refers exclusively to plays based on anime, manga, and light novels. It's a young art form, only a couple of years old

Anime stage plays have been a thing for decades. It only became known as "2.5D" in 2014, which isn't really "only a couple of years old." This also undermines the impact Musical: The Prince of Tennis had on the anime/manga industry, which has been running since 2003.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote
This stage play arc of OnK was slightly divisive in some circles as it ran in the manga (partly because it went on longer than people expected it would) but pretty much everyone was in agreement that an anime adaptation would've enhanced it considerably, as a narrative involving stage plays would transition excellently to a more fluid and animated. I'm glad that it's paying off

Caitlin Moore wrote:
Ruby doesn't even show up…

Rather than cutting back and forth between Aqua and Ruby's respective paths like last season, this arc will largely focus on Aqua's side. But Ruby will absolutely have her time later in the season

Also I'm surprised all 5 reviewers were able to get out their reviews so quickly. Was there an early premiere, or was everyone just that quick about it lol
Wizardizar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Looking at these reviews and the list of what's coming up . . . yep, what we got going on here is a "backlog catch-up season," and for that I'm kind of grateful. Every once in a while, I need one.

Maybe it just speaks to the variety of anime we have right now that you can both have someone who's not interested in much this season (not calling you out, your tastes are your tastes), and me who has like 9 shows I'm interested in (with only 3 having debuted yet).
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote
As someone who pretty much hated OnK's first season, I'll give the season 2 premiere credit for being head and shoulders above most of what's come before. This arc's looking very promising, hopefully it doesn't let me down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14