• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Key wrote:
Rave of the Inner Palace

Ah yes, the spin-off series of Ya Boy Kongming!. Wink

Corrected. Admittedly, that was one of my funnier typos in recent memory. Razz

Aww, you should've left it. It was great how just one missing letter served to connect two wildly disparate series. Smile At least we still have "Birding Wing," a series about a corps of young women training to spot the elusive eagle. Very Happy
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Weirdly, my game of the year was Dragon Ball: The Breakers.

It used the license in a way that made a lively, different kind of asymmetrical multiplayer game: Huge maps, varying match tempo, exciting choices.

Its biggest downside is it doesn't do a great job of explaining itself to the player, which can result in feeling very overwhelmed at first. They're finally putting out how-to videos now, although now there's also a "Game Mechanics Guide" going over particular nuances on GameFAQs & Steam, written by some jerk (cough cough).
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Terry Lang wrote:
I did not expect Shin Megami Tensei V to be nr 2.

I mean, the list is only Jean-Karlo's, I think?
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Corpse Factory was definitely my GOTY
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I only played (well, one I'm playing now) two games I know to have released this year: Rune Factory 5 and Harvestella.

RF5 was great (I've finished the main story, married and had my first kid, I've yet to have the twins). I'm still early on in Harvestella and loving it so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Terry Lang wrote:
I did not expect Shin Megami Tensei V to be nr 2.

I mean, the list is only Jean-Karlo's, I think?

Indeed, it is. Bit of a rough one for me, because I don't normally put much thought into "Best Games of the Year" stuff. But I took a crack at it.

Saeryen wrote:
I only played (well, one I'm playing now) two games I know to have released this year: Rune Factory 5 and Harvestella.

RF5 was great (I've finished the main story, married and had my first kid, I've yet to have the twins). I'm still early on in Harvestella and loving it so far.

Get in! RF5 very nearly made it into this list, but the more I thought about it the more I realized I needed to give Stray a spot. We'll get 'em next time--because next time Xseed is gonna listen to fans and let us marry the fox-lady that's also a single-mom.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I truly do wish that RF5 didn't have such awful performance issues so that I could recommend it more, I loved playing it but the performance would be a turn off to so many people. I assume it runs better in the pc version but I don't have a great computer
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Much hemming, hawing, spreadsheeting later, my favorites this year (and you can't make me pick a more specific order):

10-6:
Ya Boy Kongming!
My Dress-Up Darling
Chainsaw Man
SABIUKI BISCO
Summer Time Rendering

5-1:
Call of the Night
Akiba Maid War
BOCCHI THE ROCK!
The Orbital Children
Birdie Wing

Honorable mention for some of the shows I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did:
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Ryman's Club
Dance Dance Danseur
Raven of the Inner Palace
Aharen-san Wa Hakarenai

It was an incredible year for going to the movies too- Inu-Oh; The Deer King; Goodbye, Don Glees!; Starlight Revue; Belle; Evangelion 3.0+1.0; One Piece: Film Red (and Gold), all great. Even Jujutsu Kaisen 0 was none too shabby.

Too many excellent OPs/EDs, great songs throughout in Call of the Night, BOCCHI THE ROCK!, Ya Boy Kongming!, and Starlight Revue, but Inu-Oh (and Burial Mound of Arms in particular) topped the year on the musical front for me.

Moment of the year goes to the reveal of Birdie Wing's fully operational battle stationgolf course by miles. Just about killed me on the spot.

More than any of the new shows in this packed year, anime 2022 for me was about spending every Sunday night working through a bunch of old shoujo anime, one blu-ray at a time. This year I watched: all of the 90s Sailor Moon; Magic Knight Rayearth; Rose of Versailles; NANA; Dear Brother; Glass Mask; and Hataraki Man. This was The Best idea.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:31 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
One thing 2022 will be remembered for is the corporate consolidation of anime in the West.

• The Sony-directed merger of Funimation and Crunchyroll came into effect, as the Funimation name disappeared from physical releases and dubs, while every video on their still-extant site now begins with a pre-roll directing viewers to Crunchyroll.
  • Crunchyroll/Sony also bought out Right Stuf, with Shane Kleckner finally calling it a day after 35 years. This also had the unfortunate side effect of instantly deleting all the adult items from the rightstuf.com site, although its replacement (buyanime.com) does seem to have gotten its feet under it.
  • Finally, Kadokawa acquired a controlling interest in Anime News Network.

And while it may not be a consequence of all this, but I would like to nominate as my Dick Move of 2022, Crunchyroll's decision to disable the screenshot button on their iOS apps, after more than a decade of supporting it. It's a pitiful sop to copyright maximalism, and a slap in the face to paying customers. I'm paying $100 for a premium membership and you won't let me promote your shows with a screenshot on social media? Funny how the people who pirate their anime don't face these kinds of encumbrances; it's only your loyal customers you can push around like this.

OK, Sony, you win. You've effectively monopolized anime distribution in the West. Tell you what: take $5 of my annual subscription and treat it as a license fee to use screenshots on social media. You've got my money; you don't have to be such dicks about it.

What I know about Apple is minimal, but can you disable H/W acceleration? That allows you to take screenshots of CR on Windows & Linux. It does however let me take screenshots via the pwr+vol buttons on Android through the browser (without changing anything) and the CR App.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:41 am Reply with quote
Already mentioned my favorite film (Inu-oh), my worst of the year (Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer and Prelude), and regretfully didn't play too many new video games this year, instead mostly just falling back on older releases. So I'll just add any extra kudos before we get to the final article + mega poll results! For individual performances - and to just make things more fun - I only went with new roles. So no reprisals from Mob Psycho, Kaguya-sama, Tatami Time Machine Blues, etc...

Five Favorite VA Performances (JPN):

- Misaki Kuno as Faputa (Made in Abyss S2)
- Yoshino Aoyama as Bocchi (Bocchi the Rock)
- Avu-chan (Inu-oh)
- Kikunosuke Toya as Denji (Chainsaw Man)
- Ryota Osaka as Gyutaro (Demon Slayer S2)

Five Favorite VA Performances (ENG):
- Kylie McNeill as Suzu Naito (BELLE)
- Sarah Weidenheft as Power (Chainsaw Man)
- Brina Palenica as Chloe (The Case Study of Vanitas)
- Alejandro Saab as Cheng Xiaoshi (Link Click)
- Kristen McGuire as Vueroeruko (Made in Abyss S2)

Top Three Ensemble Casts (JPN):
1. Kaguya-sama S3
2. Tatami Time Machine Blues
3. Cyberpunk Edgerunners
(HMs: Chainsaw Man, Dance Dance Danseur, Bocchi the Rock)

Top Three ENG Dubs:
1. BELLE
2. The Case Study of Vanitas Pt 2
3. Link Click
(HMs: ODDTAXI, Flying Phantom Ship, Super Cub, 86 Pt 2 - majority of the dub aired in 2022)

Best Music Video - Where the Wind Blows. Unrelated to its corresponding film, but I love its nostalgic, children's book vibe. A sweet little MV with simple enough characters that’s edited perfectly in tune with the song + filled with enough directorial flourishes (ex. some striking shot compositions and POV shots) to make it stand out even next to flashier offerings.
(HM: Ima ni Mitero yo, Fight Song, Shinzou)

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Anime of the Year 2022. I'm only including shows I'm more than halfway done with, so no MHA, Golden Kamuy or Iruma.

10. Komi Can't Communicate Part 2
9. Aoashi
8. Case Study of Vanitas Part 2
7. Call of the Night
6. Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
5. The Demon Girl Next Door S2
4. Love After World Domination
3. Chainsaw Man
2. Spy X Family
1. My Dress-Up Darling

Honourable mentions:
Dance Dance Danseur
Lycoris Recoil
Akiba Maid War
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Life with an Ordinary Guy who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout

Worst anime: Engage Kiss

Most disappointing anime: Sabikui Bisco, watched 3 episodes and bailed. Most disappointing anime I finished was Shadows House S2, I was genuinely confused about the direction the show was heading towards most of the time.

Anime I wanted to watch but missed out:
Mob Psycho 100 S3 (I was very hyped for this one, but Crunchyroll screwing over Kyle McCarley and nearly the whole cast and crew from previous seasons killed my hype. I almost considered watching the sub but didn't)
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Cyberpunk Edgerunners (Netflix's clamping down on sharing passwords made me anxious of using my Netflix without using the PS4 where I usually watch Netflix with.)
Romantic Killer (same as above)
Bastard (same as above)
Ya Boy Kongming
The Devil Is a Part-Timer S2 (I was conflicted on whether I wanted to rewatch the original or not, I still haven't made a choice on this matter.)
Vermeil in Gold
Urusei Yatsura
Summer Time Rendering
Bocchi the Rock
Gundam: The Witch from Mercury
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:25 am Reply with quote
I do have a question to ask the editorial. Why do you cover video games under "The Best Anime of 2022" and not something more relevant like manga and light novels? Especially manga and LNs first released in English in 2022.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:47 am Reply with quote
Considering only shows that started in 2022, I have a three-way tie for first with Attack on Titan Final Season Part Two Electric Boogaloo, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer's Make Anime In One Month Challenge, and Deaimon: No Joke On The Title This Was Just Nice. In second there's another three-way tie of Kaguya-sama Season Three, Mob Psycho Season Three, and Pop Team Epic Season Thr- I mean Two. Weird coincidence
However if I consider shows that started in 2021 and finished in 2022, 86's final two episodes and Ranking of King's 2022 episodes would actually get the first and second places, which is interesting to think about. Overall this was a year where I completed less seasonal anime than I did in 2021, and while I feel like the year's seasonals seemed a bit weaker, I guess it wasn't by too much

My Worst, considering my drops, would be World's End Harem. I'm not above watching something for T&A, and I'm not insane so I watched the uncensored version, but even then this is actually too tame for that appeal, and then the story turned weird with the other protagonists joining later. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I see the appeal in my other drops (Danmachi 4, Yurei Deco and My Dress-Up Darling) while this one I think failed in about every aspect. Without considering my drops, it's The Genius Prince's Guide. It's not something that only this property does, but I'm not much of a fan of stuff where you get informed someone is really smart and what you really see is the villains acting particularly stupid instead. Some can do that and get by on character charisma but I didn't particularly care about anyone here
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
Oooh, good to see that Attack on Titan: The Final Season: Part 2 and My Hero Academia Season 6 both made it as "worst" picks.

Thoroughly deserved, in my view. AoT passed its peak somewhere around the tail end of its first season and the whole "Final Season" lark is a laughable exercise in spinning out a show beyond any reasonable point. The backstory and lore turned out to not be worth the wait. Worse, the show has never grown out of its bad habit, which has been present right from the start, of using "shouting" as a substitute for "emotion".

And poor, poor My Hero Academia. I'm not normally a fan of long shonen series, but MHA has always kept me in through a combination of earnest sincerity, brisk pacing and surprisingly careful world-building. The sincerity is arguably still there, but the pacing and world-building have gone completely out the window in Season 6, giving us another generic Shonen Battle Anime.

I think my own pick for worst would be Beast Tamer. God knows why I watched it... horrible fascination, perhaps. It's your usual fantasy wish-fulfilment-harem yarn (though gets some minor points for not being isekai), but executed with staggering incompetence. When the art and animation aren't falling apart completely, the best they manage is to be stiff and lifeless. The writing feels like it could have been churned out by a twelve year old.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
Since I didn't bother with most of the obvious duds of this year, the worst anime I watched were I'm The Villainess So I'm Taming the Final Boss (which gallops through its source material so fast that it has no time for humor, character-building, or even halfway-decent animation) and that other manga adaptation that Studio Naz did: Thermae Romae Novae.

It took a perfectly quirky and fun manga and turned it into a muddy, dull mess. Say what you will about how the 2012 version looks, but at least it knows this story is meant to be a comedy! Not even the presence of Kenjiro Tsuda helped, as while he's a fine voice actor in general he's simply not a good match for a Roman patrician. The only part of the show worth watching were the travel sequences with the original mangaka Mari Yamazaki. *sigh* At least we still have Extra Olympia Kyklos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12