• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll start with YamaSusu S4 at episode 5. And it's probably not a good first impression for someone getting newly into it, as the 1st season is known to be the weakest of them all (I still liked it), but after that, it shines, perhaps surpasses Laid-Back Camp in some of its moments. So I'm usually not into 3 episode rule, but this time it's different and I mean it. Or try to watch the original 3 seasons (along with the OVAs), if nothing else, there are "other means" to do that Wink
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Re: Shinobi no Ittoki

The Good: Solid visuals, good action choreography (though I'm sad it cut away before we got to see how much of a badass the uncle really is...)

The Bad: Absolutely stupid set-up to not tell the kid anything. I'll be annoyed if we don’t get a scene of him screaming his head off at his mom in the next episode. Mom's the potential anchor on this series so far.

The Meh: I didn't dislike the main character as much as some of the reviewers did, but if the next few episodes continue the trend of him bouncing from one befuddled reaction to the other while the tsundere best friend patronizingly scoffs at him a bunch, it's going to get old real fast.

I plan to continue watching but I had the same initial reaction as one of the reviewers, this first episode could have been better than it was...
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Since nothing is airing that I care about for the past couple days (I might check out Shinobi once the dub starts) I caught up on the couple of things I missed

Raven of the Inner Palace had a really good premire, though I kind of wish I waited until next week to watch it so I'd have a full story. It was still really interesting though, and makes me long for an Apothecary Diaries anime that much more. It gives me xxxholic vibes with the magic shop-like and mystery (And Shouxue's professional vs real personality reminds me a bit of Yuuko), but Shouxue saying "If you curse someone, dig two graves" gave me instant Hell Girl flashbacks (which probably isn't a relevant comparison, but I just finished the series recently). Really hope the compelling mystery remains in the rest of the cases.

Housing Complex C was... fine I guess? I'll definitely stick with it for 3 more episodes but it didn't blow me away or anything. The animation looks better than I expected coming from a studio who's claim to fame was "worked on a Miley Cyrus Gucci ad", but it's not great either. The horror aspect is pretty weak so far too, the mystery part is more compelling to me, if barely. It's kind of weird how few good horror anime are out there considering j-horror is such a prevalent and successful genre.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:20 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

Housing Complex C was... fine I guess? I'll definitely stick with it for 3 more episodes but it didn't blow me away or anything. The animation looks better than I expected coming from a studio who's claim to fame was "worked on a Miley Cyrus Gucci ad", but it's not great either. The horror aspect is pretty weak so far too, the mystery part is more compelling to me, if barely. It's kind of weird how few good horror anime are out there considering j-horror is such a prevalent and successful genre.

It's only four episodes, so if you're watching three, you might as well finish it. Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:40 am Reply with quote
One thing Ninja Wars has going for it is that it's an original, so I won't have to dodge spoilers in any commentary threads.

Akcoll99 wrote:
I'm sad it cut away before we got to see how much of a badass the uncle really is...

Same here. He's the best character so far. While I think Mom keeping the secret was a bad idea, I still like her, though I keep wanting to tuck that loop of hair back behind her ear.

James wrote:
don't blame me if it falls by the wayside when your time ends up consumed by the season's array of blockbusters.

I've already predicted this for myself in the "Most Anticipated" thread, so no blaming anyone else if/when it happens. Smile

Oof, I couldn't even last through five minutes of RazzSchlock before I noped out to save myself. I knew it was going to be bad, but holey speedos, I didn't even begin to imagine just how anesthetizing it would be. I still feel a little foggy after just that brief exposure. Even the color coding didn't help me tell any of them apart, as they all had the same haircuts (ok, in one of 3 different styles among the dozen of them) and face and only slightly different eyes. I feel bad for the reviewers who had to watch the whole thing.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:17 am Reply with quote
Raven of the palace was nice, I liked that when she was just having a conversation they showed them taking care of various task around the palace instead of just shot/reverse shoot for 5 minutes. The setting is fun, the imperial court at the time of the enuch/lady of the court was genuinely full of intrigue and complex plot.

Some cons though:

-OP is pretty terrible, def will skip everytime
-It's trying to setup a love story between someone who's essentially a captive and the emperor, which I guess is supposed to be super romantic but yuk
-Everybody seems incredibly relax by han imperial court standard, I can't imagine the emperor ever going somewhere with only one attendant and lady just casually gossiping about assassination
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote
I never had much interest in Gundam's unbelievably huge catalog of giant-roboting, and kinda thought it was a thing of the past anyway, but still thought Witch from Mercury looked potentially interesting. And, so far, it has wildly exceeded my expectations. Openly deconstructing both its own core concept and out-of-control future-capitalism, packing an incredible amount of plot and worldbuilding into just two episodes without feeling rushed (and having completely different tones between them, with the prologue doing the usual spoiler["villain destroys hero's hometown and kills at least one parent"] and episode 1 launching straight into Utena), and topping it off by having the main character get accidentally engaged to another girl, one-upping every "implied" yuri anime in the process. Like, jeez, calm down, I can't press the add-to-queue button multiple times.

Especially liked how, after the old "but we're both girls" line, Miorine's response is to scoff at how conservative Suletta's planet must be for her to think that way. They knew some people wouldn't like this (plenty are likely already upset about the female protagonist part alone), and decided to indirectly shoot back at them right off the bat. Much respect.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Usually not the type to criticize other people's tastes, but.... you seriously need to check your ears for that one.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

It's only four episodes, so if you're watching three, you might as well finish it. Razz

I should have clarified, I meant I was sticking with it for the other 3 lol. Honestly I'm glad it's not too long anyway, a full series seems like it'd massively overstay it's welcome
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Quote:

Usually not the type to criticize other people's tastes, but.... you seriously need to check your ears for that one.

Not the song, the OP itself (I honestly don't remember the song tbh).
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
Despite being primarily recap, I didn't think EoC: Next Summit wasn't that bad. It was definitely Season 1 condensed into a single episode, making it rushed as hell. But with that mindset, it was alright. Super stoked for episode 5 when we can get all new material. At least the OP and ED were amazing, as well as the bit of new scenes.

EoC is my favorite anime, and I'm just so happy to have it back. I encourage (pun intended), everyone to give it a shot. If possible, I recommend watching the past seasons in full. But the 4 episode recap of Next Summit should hopefully get new watchers up to speed.
It's just such a wonderfully done show. Beautifully animated, lovable characters, and well written. I could go on, but I'll spare everyone my gushing.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Reincarnated as a Sword feels like it has a genuinely compelling story to tell that's screaming to escape from the mimetic soup of naro isekai tropes it's drowning in. I've heard a number of people say that the first volume gives a bad impression and things get a lot better after you get past it. I didn't make it through the first time around to find out. This part of the book (which feels like it was compressed rather than stretched from what I remember) was even more excruciating to read than to watch. I guess it speaks to the show's potential that I still really want to give it a chance after that.

The Eminence in Shadow was another story I really couldn't get into. The first book felt like it only had one joke to tell and I stopped laughing at it before the half way point.

Last edited by MagicianMan on Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Reincarnated as a Sword

Was excited for this one. I did read a few volumes of the light novel so the first episode was about what I expected. The criticisms are justified because the first half of V1 was dedicated to the sword going around collecting skills and while the anime tried its hardest to make that interesting its still pretty boring.

Thankfully it does pick up once he meets Fran so I recommend sticking around no matter how much you disliked ep 1, it does get better.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:32 pm Reply with quote
First ep of MSG: The Witch From Mercury was really fun (impressive emotional range already between the first ep and the prologue), lots of potential with all the detail, also including great animation (with really sharp color design), sound design, and soundtrack.

Thesarum wrote:
I disagree with the reading of Suletta as "timid" though. She's got some specific social and communication difficulties, but when action was required she never once ran from it. Not in initially rescuing Miorine (which looked like it triggered some trauma related panic attack to me), not in then approaching her to "take responsibility" despite how obviously difficult that was, not in standing up for what she believed was right against Guel, nor venturing onto an active Gundam battlefield to retrieve Aerial. And certainly not in that final, brutal, attack that quite literally cut him down to size. And boy did that feel good.

This.

Yeah, felt so good.
Also, same here, I too picked up on that notable initial reaction when she first saw the person floating in the space suit out there even though she pushed through it to still launch on her own initiative and go rescue them (Miorine).

Kirki wrote:
Golden Kamuy was as stellar as always. I really wish more people talked about it. Words can't describe how happy and surprised I am that it got a full adaptation. After most of what has aired this season, I was like yeah, now we're talking about the big names!

Yeah, it's underrated but such a good show.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho III episode 1 hit to close to home for me, too. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 22