• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Funimation and Crunchyroll attempted to merge at least once before; it didn't last long. Though it sounds like this time they've already both been owned by Sony for a while, so maybe it's for real this time.

I don't expect the streaming landscape to ever stop being a chaotic mess where you can't even expect one particular series to stay on the same channel between seasons, but this might be a moderate improvement. And my stubbornness about not subscribing to Funi in addition to CR paid off in the end, I guess?
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
Sigh...they really need to fix the Crunchyroll app on Apple TV. It logs you out of the service like once a week, so you have to constantly re-log in. I also just renewed my Funimation subscription like a week ago for a year...

Okay, so I’m not the only onenwith that problem! Lol. My Apple TV constantly logs me out.

I can also report experiencing this issue on the PS3/PS4 app. Started happening recently. Normally you'd either be logged in automatically, or just wait a few seconds at the log-in screen and it would log in by itself. Now it doesn't and you have to manually log in.

Could be due to Crunchyroll doing some back-end stuff, probably in anticipation for this announcement and new users etc.

Anyway, I'm happy to have more if all my anime in one place! Used to subscribe to Funi also in the past, then stopped wheb the price went up and just stuck with Crynchyroll. Though, I also suspect a price hike may be coming in the future...
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:26 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Funimation and Crunchyroll attempted to merge at least once before; it didn't last long. Though it sounds like this time they've already both been owned by Sony for a while, so maybe it's for real this time.

I don't expect the streaming landscape to ever stop being a chaotic mess where you can't even expect one particular series to stay on the same channel between seasons, but this might be a moderate improvement. And my stubbornness about not subscribing to Funi in addition to CR paid off in the end, I guess?

That one wasn't a merger but a license agreement, that they would jointly bid for licences withCR handling subs and Funi handling dubs. Then Sony bought Funi and Time Warner bought CR putting an end to it, hence why you could only get subs in one place for a series and only get dubs in the other. Sony owns both now and are now the one company.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
SO How will one be able to tell if it is controlled by Dallas or not?

Oh, you will tell. Change in tone of translations, removal of certain series cause it goes against standards... you know, the stuff that gave Funi its toxic reputation in the first place. Just looking through the responses it looks like they will be basing things in CR hq in Cali rather than Funi in Dallas
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
So it begins, was not expecting FUNimation to be the one to get absorbed. May this crisis with sub placement and typesetting be averted then. On a different note, how many layoffs are we going to see? Also, are all translators now going to work under MX Media owned by Crunchyroll who underpays them ($70 an episode) and doesn't actually value them (See: No credits unless a home video release happens)?

Also, will the option of both broadcast and home video versions remain? For series that were simulcast, a little after the home video release hit, HIDIVE and FUNimation would add the home video version as an option. Crunchyroll meanwhile typically doesn't offer home video versions of shows it simulcast. For example, The Seven Mortal Sins, if you want to see that uncensored, you gotta buy the Blu-ray or watch through FUNimation's streams.

hell,World End Harem is unwatchable on CR...
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Considering the constant technical complaints primarily on Funimation's side, I believe merging funimation into crunchyroll had more to do with picking the more technically competent platform than name recognition. So far they haven't had a good response to existing Funimation subscribers. I do sort of expect buffering, largely on desktop, to be an issue since Crunchyroll was barely able to handle big traffic back before this, and having a combined anime content library will make so many people ditch their netflix accounts.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:57 pm Reply with quote
This is incredibly confusing to me, and I have a few questions about all of this:

1. Is everything migrating over eventually, or just the non-currently streaming titles?

2. Will they be of the same quality and versions available on Funimation? I don't want to lose access to the uncut/blu-ray versions.

3. I've been switching and swapping services for years now because of these companies changing things. How is this any different?

4. Why is no one talking about the impact on VRV, as it looks like their site has similar wording to Funimation?

5. What will happen to those with annual subscriptions on Funimation? I know plenty of people are near their renewal dates, as a few years ago (2019), Funimation was about to do a price increase, but promised a guaranteed lower price if they subscribed by a certain date. I believe this date was in early to mid March. I know mine is set to renew in about 10 days.

6. Can Crunchyroll even handle the amount of people streaming when a premiere occurs? I know this was an issue a few years ago, and it basically made the platform unstable, sometimes locking me out of being able to stream said show for hours. I was a premium member at the time.
jaldaen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:02 am Reply with quote
My Funimation renewal went through yesterday... so I'm definitely interested in seeing how they handle this. Will I get a full refund? A year of CR? Inquiring minds want to know.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:11 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Oh, you will tell. Change in tone of translations, removal of certain series cause it goes against standards... you know, the stuff that gave Funi its toxic reputation in the first place. Just looking through the responses it looks like they will be basing things in CR hq in Cali rather than Funi in Dallas

I never had issues with Tone in Translations... Never noticed the difference...

Only series that was removed because it did not meet the standards was Interspecies Reviewers... IN which the Series WAs pretty extremely border lines.. SO I can partially understand Funi's case... EVEN the Japanese Government got involved with issues with the series... so you know they crossed some bad lines...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:23 am Reply with quote
TheAnonymousUsual wrote:
Wow. Funi literally just charged me for a 1-year renewal 12 days ago.

Contact support about getting your annual subscription moved over (only for annual subs)

"If you have an annual Funimation Subscription, don’t worry you won’t miss out. We can add any time you have left on that subscription to your new or existing Crunchyroll account.

Please provide both your current Funimation account email address and your current Crunchyroll account email address and we’ll get you taken care of.

If you have not created your Crunchyroll account yet, please do that here before replying, otherwise, we won’t be able to assist you."

Greed1914 wrote:
I'm hoping the part about Funimation streaming ongoing series means "in addition to Crunchyroll" and not exclusively. I'd like to go ahead and cancel, but there are several simuldubs that may or may not be coming over, and the wording doesn't make it very clear what the plan is there beyond "check back later."

Also, it's pretty annoying that current subscribers to both get nothing. The free 60 days is just for non-Crunchyroll subscribers. What you get for subscribing to both is, apparently, the headache of figuring out when to cancel.

The Funimation subscription is going away, so that’s the one to cancel.

LegitPancake wrote:
I just really hope they move my Funi digital copies over to Crunchyroll too.

“Please note that your existing Funimation digital copy, watch history or queue won’t be transferred to Crunchyroll yet, but we’re working on it.”

Quote:
Will Crunchyroll honor uncut bluray video editions that Funimation has updated all this time?

I’ve heard that some series have changed to the home video version on CR now, like DxD.

Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

I never had issues with Tone in Translations... Never noticed the difference...

Only series that was removed because it did not meet the standards was Interspecies Reviewers... IN which the Series WAs pretty extremely border lines.. SO I can partially understand Funi's case... EVEN the Japanese Government got involved with issues with the series... so you know they crossed some bad lines...

People have been salty for years about a couple of simuldub lines that were redone for home video anyway (e.g. animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-10-03/funimation-addresses-prison-school-dub-comments-over-gamergate-line/.93736) and they were blindsided by Interspecies since they couldn’t have predicted how much more explicit it would be compared to the original manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Charou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:46 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Does this mean CR are calling the shots now? If they are I may consider resubscribing, but if Dallas is still in charge I'm not touching it whatsoever. Dallas pissing over us Aussie fans still has a sour taste in my mouth...

We had it so good with Animelab. Lost a bunch of shows when Funi ate them alive, not to mention the superior app. I checked the CR app last night and while it seems most titles made the transitions not all of the subtitles did. That's worrying.

This may be a short term win for people who can access CR at high quality but "crunchy gonna crunch" (ie buffering, quality fluctuations) is so common to us Australian viewers we are forced to seek alternatives. There is something fundamentally wrong when you can pay for a sub and what you get is objectively poorer than other less morally justified options.

And then there's the bigger issue of what is now essentially a monopoly. Because those always lead to improved customer service and quality of product, right?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:14 am Reply with quote
This will probably be a net benefit, but I have a lot of questions:

1. Right now my most pressing concern is that I am a monthly subscriber to Funimation, not an annual one, and don't have a Crunchyroll account. Are Funimation accounts going to be 100% halted in the future? The reason I ask is that there are a lot of shows with Funimation that I've been intending to watch, and there's no indicator that dubs not directly owned by Funimation (such as Gundam) will be transferred over to Crunchyroll. The FAQ says that you will be able to view your Funimation queue in Crunchyroll, but I'm not sure if that refers to the whole queue or only those that the companies have complete access to.

2. This has been brought up by others, but how will simuldubs be treated? Right now I'm watching the My Dress-Up Darling and Demon Slayer Entertainment District simuldubs, but that makes things particularly stressful for me because both of those are Aniplex shows. I'm assuming Aniplex and AoA content in general will make the move over to Crunchyroll since they're under the umbrella as well, but I'd imagine that would be another licensing nightmare.

3. Right after the queue portion, the FAQ says that we should manage our Funimation and Crunchyroll accounts separately for now. Does this indicate that with my current Funimation account, I should keep the monthly plan? When will the service end then, if at all?

4. Is there a time limit to the 60-days-free offer? I would much rather finish my Funimation queue (or at least as much as I can of the queue) before transferring over to Crunchyroll.

5. I was going through my queue in preparation, and I noticed that there's now a banner on Nichijou labeling it as a Funimation exclusive. I'm pretty sure that was not there before today. Is there any clarification on what this might mean? Like, is Funimation's service remaining active in a much more limited capacity?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:21 am Reply with quote
Just great, now the main place to stream dubs will the one service that has some kind of bizarre animosity against the concept of closed captions.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
Unlike my compatriot earlier in the thread I'm fairly happy with this development. My ranking of streaming sites was CR, then AnimeLab, then Funimation. When I was compulsorily moved from AnimeLab I wasn't happy with the layout and limitations of the Funimation alternative. Given that I stream via my PC which is connected to my stereo system, I've not needed to use the CR apps to any great extent, so I'm happy to move everything to them and save on my subscriptions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:23 am Reply with quote
It took a couple of weeks for shows from AnimeLab to merge into Funimation, so be patient... excluding the ones that never made it.
I have numerous devices at home. AnimeLab left funy/crunchy in the dust as far as user experience went. I'm surprised they chose crunchy since it has the least complete features, tho it's content discovery is better.
Learning about new shows used to be excellent tho on AnimeLab
RIP AnimeLab
For a smaller consolidated fee, I now have new overlords, less content and worse apps
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13