• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Now he lured her into his house, even made her wear his clothes, the nerve of that Kondo! Unacceptable.

Last edited by Panino Manino on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Isn't time for moderators to give a look into this thread?

We all understand that some may have problem with the premise and many will not even look at this anime because of that. But if even disliking the premise you decide to watch then you are required to have a minimum level of coherence when presenting your points.
Complaining about how the writer and the script manipulates characters and actions to further the story is borderline insanity, because this is what writers and scripts do, further the premise. You may not like the premise but you can't reproach the story for going along with the premise, that's the point of the story and this anime.
Get over it or get out.

The reason I mentioned moderators is that, if you pay attention on what is being said here, and watch the episode paying attention on what really happens, then you have to conclude that some are at best trolling, at worst delusional.
No, Akira wasn't lured by others into Kondo's house, it was the contrary, it was a invasion of privacy on her part. Yes, Yuto was used by the writer and script to give her an opportunity but it was her who jumped at that opportunity to pry on Kondo's life. And if you didn't understood that the script conducted Akira inside that house to see that little room full of books then you completely missed the point and the relevancy of this episode for the story. And about the sexual and rape fantasies, maybe you didn't notice the "female gaze" either, right? How Kondo didn't even considered proper to wash Akira's shirt with his clothes? Reinforcing that he still isn't really thinking serious about her? And also that the hamster thing was used to foreshadow his ex-wife presence, meaning that in no way in hell Akira will play the surrogate mother for Yuto?
And so on and so forth.

Complaints about facts like Kase's behavior on last episode are ok and understandable, complaints about obvious things that just the most intelligent of the intellects can see and interpret in the right way are not ok.
Emdykay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Personally I just decided to interpret #Verso.Sciolto´s as the lewd fanfic of someone projecting hard time. As such those posts are actually quite entertaining to read.
I wouldn´t mind moderation though.

Back on topic, the last episode:
This marks the first episode I did not only consider not great, but was actually dissatisfied with. First there is the issue of Akira invading Kondos home. Ok from her perspective this is realistic enough to do, I would be lying if I said I didn´t do something not all too unsimiliar when I was a little younger than her, making for a very uncomfortable and embarassing memory, and leads to the realisation that she barely knows anything personal about him. But his side is just absurdly passive here in letting the plot and thus the central romance happen to him.
There were complaints about that from people before who thought Kondo was too passive to be believable I didn´t share, thinking that his inability to flat out reject Akira and his belief the matter will quickly resolve itself was consistent with his character, but here I feel the same. So a sweaty teenage girl, who confessed to him, randomly pops out of his closet and his reaction to that is well... barely not existing? Sure he gets worked up over her health but not about the circusmtances, he shortly ponders the situation while at the laundromat, but thats it. Really? Not only is he not confronting or actively dealing with the situation, which could be chalked up to his personality, he barely even takes note.
Last episode Kase´s role was to mirror Akira, showing that the way she pursued Kondo was actually starting to become questionable, as her date was not all that unlike the one with Kase, even if he was much more overtly aggressive and offensive. And invading someones home is just overstepping boundaries from questionable to creepy and almost criminal.
Then there is the moment his son spills tea on her back for a shot of her bra. Sure it serves the purpose of demonstrating that Kondo is still not actually sexualizing her much and is trying his best to keep it that way, but that is just crappy harem romcom quality writing on a level with accidental boob grabs, for christ sake.
If I saw this episode only out of context I would think this to be a completly different kind of show rather than what we have seen up until that point, even if the rest of the episode was ok, and I hope this was only a one time blunder and the quality is going to improve again.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Isn't time for moderators to give a look into this thread?

You're free to report any post you consider that goes against the forum rules, but let me tell you "disagreeing with me" or "having an opinion I don't like" is not cause for moderators to step in. In fact, if anyone could be targeted by moderators it would be the person saying things like:

Quote:

Complaints about facts like Kase's behavior on last episode are ok and understandable, complaints about obvious things that just the most intelligent of the intellects can see and interpret in the right way are not ok

Because while "disagreeing with me" is not a rule violation, ad hominem insults like questioning the other person's intelligence are in fact against the rules.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kondo is a kind father (and still susceptible to pushiness in domestic situations) and he likes to read.
I suspect that all that discarded manuscript paper in his study is meant to imply that he not only reads, but also tries to write stuff himself, albeit with no apparent success so far.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

You're free to report any post you consider that goes against the forum rules, but let me tell you "disagreeing with me" or "having an opinion I don't like" is not cause for moderators to step in. In fact, if anyone could be targeted by moderators it would be the person saying things like:

I'm bothered only by the forensics investigation for unmasking perverts that enjoy this anime. Wouldn't be a problem if these experts weren't trying so hard to the point of forging evidence to drop their hammer of justice, preventing inocent ignorant minds like us to fall victims of this decadence.
Not the most pleasant environment to chat about anime, right?
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I'm bothered only by the forensics investigation for unmasking perverts that enjoy this anime. Wouldn't be a problem if these experts weren't trying so hard to the point of forging evidence to drop their hammer of justice, preventing inocent ignorant minds like us to fall victims of this decadence.
Not the most pleasant environment to chat about anime, right?
It is an unpleasant topic. A subject this series paints over - colour blind and tone deaf, imo. In the current climate in Japan, the celebration of a story in which a high school girl, a teenage part-timer, is depicted as a stalking predator is something, I think, needs very explicit, critical commentary so that's what I post here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Because while "disagreeing with me" is not a rule violation, ad hominem insults like questioning the other person's intelligence are in fact against the rules.

Backseat moderating is also against the rules. As is thinly veiled jabs at others that could be seen as hominem attacks themself.

Now, it is true however that the reason mods have not stepped in is because nothing had been reported. We are not all seeing like Sauron. You need to report posts so we are sure to see them and keep an eye on a thread. As for this topic you guys need to cease with the insults towards each other and towards fans of the show. Debate the show or review, not the fans. You are not required to like or dislike a show and you can show your own like or dislike for a show or review. Civilly. The insults towards fans or users here however stay at the door. Thank you.
Malsang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 am Reply with quote
I still can't get over how beautiful this show looks.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 am Reply with quote
About this episode: some people shouldn't forget that Akira went to Kondo's home to accompany Yuto there. We know she exploited the situation to know Kondo better, but formally she had also good reasons for not letting little Yuto alone. Her coworkers knew perfectly she went to Kondo's home, it's not like she invaded his home secretly as a thief. When Kondo found her there, she wasn't even able to breath, so it's perfectly natural his first reaction has been to think about her health, and not about the reasons why she was there. Later he asked himself "why" she was in his home, but the fact she was together with Yuto is already a first answer. Plus, even without asking any question, since the situation was awkward enough, he got also an answer from her, when she told "I want to know more about you". And that surprised him a lot, because he thought her interest into him was already over. Kondo already rejected Akira, when he said "I can't give you an answer". In Japanese culture, everything ambivalent like that means basically "no", it's the polite way to reject someone. He believes he isn't absolutely the right person to her, and he is aware he could be her father, and also about the social stigma towards relationship with such a huge age gap. He is pretty confused and can't genuinely understand Akira interest in him. Anyway, don't label him as superficial or something, only wait for his further development. We have already got some heavy hints about his personality in these episodes. The most important one was obviously his interest in literature, and I don't think you need to be a manga reader like me, to understand this will play an important role in the story. Kondo reactions around Akira are confused by her attitude, and he can't be harsher toward her because of his personality. He does his best to wear a mask of kindness and being accepted. He is actually kind, but he doesn't show what he really feels openly. So far we got some hints about him being someway an airhead. But it's more a hint about how he would like to live in his own bubble (and you will understand better which this bubble is, and how it influenced his life) rather than being forced in this job, despite the fact he wears constantly a smiling face to be accepted, and avoid any kind of conflict, also with Akira, who is displaying an attitude absolutely unbelievable and confusing to him. And yeah, he has been really passive so far. Be patient, and wait to discover how he will start to change.

Sorry for my English.

{Edit}: I edited your post. I said for eeryone to stop the rudeness towards each other. ~ Psycho 101
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Gabriella didn't mention anything in her review about how Akira's shirt conveniently became see through and the camera zoomed in to show us the back of her bra. So much for not sexualizing her.

I don't mind it in principle when contrived story elements are used. In the most basic sense, everything in a story is a plot contrivance so the author can develop their story and characters however they please. But when that contrivanc becomes too obvious and forced it takes you out of the narrative. Happened with the "Try and go on a date with me" line, and it happened again with this overblown, overcomplicated series of events that had no purpose other than letting Kondo see Akira's bra and having a kare-shirt moment.

I also think Gabriella is underestimating the show -or maybe overestimating it- in regards to Akira. The framing of the narrative is giving us no indication that Akira's actions in this episode may be reprehensible. Yes, sneaking into Kondo's apartment would be considered creepy, but we see the scene covered in sparkles from Akira's excitement. When she sniffs Kondo's shirt, the colors turn warm and pastel, making it look like a sweet moment. And even her jealousy about the hamster issue results in her being able to give Kondo the list, once again getting us a pastel colored picture of their hands almost touching. They are "landmarks" in the development of their relationship, designed to make them grow closer.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm surprised Gabriella didn't mention anything in her review about how Akira's shirt conveniently became see through and the camera zoomed in to show us the back of her bra. So much for not sexualizing her.

I don't mind it in principle when contrived story elements are used. In the most basic sense, everything in a story is a plot contrivance so the author can develop their story and characters however they please. But when that contrivanc becomes too obvious and forced it takes you out of the narrative. Happened with the "Try and go on a date with me" line, and it happened again with this overblown, overcomplicated series of events that had no purpose other than letting Kondo see Akira's bra and having a kare-shirt moment.

I also think Gabriella is underestimating the show -or maybe overestimating it- in regards to Akira. The framing of the narrative is giving us no indication that Akira's actions in this episode may be reprehensible. Yes, sneaking into Kondo's apartment would be considered creepy, but we see the scene covered in sparkles from Akira's excitement. When she sniffs Kondo's shirt, the colors turn warm and pastel, making it look like a sweet moment. And even her jealousy about the hamster issue results in her being able to give Kondo the list, once again getting us a pastel colored picture of their hands almost touching. They are "landmarks" in the development of their relationship, designed to make them grow closer.

So, do you think seriously that the only purpose of this episode was to see Akira's bra? That one is the only time, in 79 manga chapters, that Kondo is put in the situation to see her bra, and he doesn't even care. So, do you think this is really so plot relevant? Are you even serious? Plus, I can't understand why you think Akira was such a creep to be curious about Kondo's life. She is in love with him, so it's natural. She didn't invade his home like a thief, she accompanied his son to home. Sure, her real purpose was to see his father, but what's wrong with it? You are able to see everything as "dirty". What's wrong if Akira wishes physical contact with the one who she loves? Why do you even watch a love story involving an age gap love, if you think by default it's dirty? Kondo never took any advantage of Akira, but he benefits from her company emotionally, in the sense she is reviving in him some memories and forgotten ambitions. He is also occasionally attracted to her, but don't forget she is a young woman, not a child, so it's basically normal. The plot is way more complicated than being only about a romance, it's more about like these two people situations will influence each other life, when both of them are living a deep identity crisis. Akira obsession for Kondo is a huge distraction for her broken heart, derived by her injury. This is why she is so obsessed. And yeah, love isn't only platonic, so we see also her wish for a physical contact. What's so creepy about it?
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
In this episode we learn some important details about Kondo:
- his son doesn't live with him. He lives with his mother, but he can occasionally visit his father. This is really a relevant hint about Kondo and his ex-wife relationship, indeed it means it can't be so bad. If you know Japanese laws about divorce, they are really particular, and the parent who lives with the son (usually the mother) can also legally decide to deny to his ex-partner to see their son. So, we learn this isn't Kondo and his ex-wife case. She lets Yuto spend some time with his father. Anyway, apparently Yuto doesn't spend a lot of time with him, and his father would love to spend more time with his son. Indeed, he accepted to keep the hamster only when Yuto said "if you keep it, I could come here more often".
- we learn that Kondo has a big passion for literature, and no social life. He spends a lot of his free time reading books. His son gave us a little hint about the kind of literature he likes (the English translation in the anime was a bit weird, they used the expression "a certain kind of literature", but in the manga it's clearly said it's belles-lettres).
- we still see Kondo's deep lack of self confidence, and inability to understand Akira interest in him, indeed he thought their "date" had been enough for her interest about him being completely over. We learn he really cares about communication with his staff, and how, despite this job isn't probably the kind of thing he enjoys the most, he is doing his best to be a good manager (see all the manuals he read about it).
About Akira, we learn mainly that her affection for Kondo can be really possessive: disregarding his feelings, she shows some kind of jealousy while he is finally enjoying some good time with his staff. She is clearly too invasive, and she doesn't understand yet, her attitude is wrong. But this isn't because she is a sick stalker, she is acting so egoistically because at the moment, all she cares is to keep her mind focused on these emotions, that how Kase observed, in the episode 4, are used to fill the hole let in her heart from her injury, and necessity to leave the track team.
While she is closed in the closet, we get also the opportunity to see a box with the writing "1990". This is foreshadowing, and it's the kind of details that you shouldn't miss if you want to enjoy properly this plot, rather than being excessively obsessed over Akira's bra.

Last edited by Ryutai on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
One of the things I am liking about the series is that we finally have a heroine in a romantic show who isn't a shrinking violet. She knows exactly what she wants and she makes no bones about going after it. How refreshing. The other thing I like about this show is that it is willing to show flaws in its heroine. It's not taking an uncritical stance about her. For example, when she yells at everybody to get back to work, she is depriving the Manager of something he has been craving for a long time: an easy rapport with his employees. The poor guy has even been reading books to try and get the hang of it. Akira stomped all over that for her own selfish reasons. Still, I gotta say I like her moxie.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One of the things I am liking about the series is that we finally have a heroine in a romantic show who isn't a shrinking violet. She knows exactly what she wants and she makes no bones about going after it. How refreshing. The other thing I like about this show is that it is willing to show flaws in its heroine. It's not taking an uncritical stance about her. For example, when she yells at everybody to get back to work, she is depriving the Manager of something he has been craving for a long time: an easy rapport with his employees. The poor guy has even been reading books to try and get the hang of it. Akira stomped all over that for her own selfish reasons. Still, I gotta say I like her moxie.

Exactly, such a good comment. Akira isn't showed like your typical shoujo manga character, an idealized maiden who is always kind to everyone. In this moment of her life, for her personal reasons, she disregards her track team friends feelings, Yoshizawa's feelings, and, to some extent, also her love interest's feelings. This is how she is reacting to her depression and loneliness, induced from her injury.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 31