• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't More Anime Shown On American TV?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I would say because the entertainment industry in the USA, UK, Canada has really been been in the propaganda business. Keep the masses dumb I remember watching the anime X-Man and the original Astroboy may I a recommend tuning into Jay Dyer website. That would explain why America tv and other media has been so bad and it's getting worse Hulu where I was watching anime has been forced to become a full subscription service even ANN you have to be a subscriber to stream their anime. If you can't afford to pay extra tough luck. Hard copy comic books books are been phase out witness Eros Comix closing shop. Crying or Very sad
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
Hulu where I was watching anime has been forced to become a full subscription service

*psst* come over here, here is some good free stuff aka Hulu's free (as in beer) anime catalog:

http://view.yahoo.com/browse/tv/genre/anime
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
marcos torres toledo wrote:
Hulu where I was watching anime has been forced to become a full subscription service

*psst* come over here, here is some good free stuff aka Hulu's free (as in beer) anime catalog:

http://view.yahoo.com/browse/tv/genre/anime

Free beer? (stampedes in) Hey, wait, the frog's not singing! Razz

Yes, Hulu and Netflix still get most of what Funimation.com wants to export to every other major service for a few more license bucks, and arguably have the better streaming interface....Well, anybody has a better one.
They also have the current shows that appeal a little more directly to their fan niches (like Attack on Titan, or the fight-serial of Fairy Tail), which is one reason that trying to make one mainstream broadcast anime be All Things To Every Viewer just went extinct with syndication and cable.
Nowadays, you look up what you can get, and the old 90's-early 00's argument of "I watch Toonami because it's free!" holds less and less water.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
SillyPerson wrote:
This makes no sense. American TV is full of stupid garbage I and many other people have absolutely no interest in like reality TV shows. Over 90% of the stuff on American television is complete trash, not even remotely interesting. Anime actually IS interesting, quality content, and even bad anime is better than the vast majority of trash shown on American TV networks, especially if you get into the hundreds of channels on digital cable.

I think the real problem is licensing fees to show anime on TV are probably too high, it must be some financial reason, because the content is awesome and most people who see it love it. And if it is dubbed into English instead of using subtitles, that gets rid of any confusion and they can just show it on American TV on some cable channel and tons of people will watch it and the channel won't have to put any effort at all into developing their own content, they can just import it from another country. Anime is popular and shown on TV in many other countries, for instance all across much of Latin America and in several nations in Europe. It is even catching on in China now despite China's decades of hostility to Japan!

So yeah it really makes no sense that anime isn't being featured more on American TV, we have hundreds of channels, most of the stuff on TV is garbage, it would be an improvement over most of the content, and people would watch it. It must just be that American TV executives and the Japanese companies that make anime can't really come to any business arrangement that satisfies both sides... the TV executives here would rather save money by doing really low-budget stuff like reality TV shows, and the Japanese companies want to maximize their profit and charge a high price for the content they produce.

What's with the anti-America hostility? You sound like one of those outdated "everything Japan makes is gold, everything the U.S. makes is garbage" Japanophile clichés. Your username couldn't be more appropriate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7