• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Perfect Insider

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
This episode was divided in two : a part where my brain shut down due to the philosophical speechs of Magata, and a part where I enjoyed the personal relationship between Moe and Souhei.

I just couldn't understand anything of what Magata tried to aay. Maybe I'm dumb, but crap, I felt she was talking so much nonsense I stop trying to understand anything.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of Moe. She was always annoying and a bit arrogant. But by the end of the show, I started to like her, mostly because how her relationship with Souhei grew over the time. It stopped to be a "Senpai, notice me, I'm smart just like you" relationship to a more adult, caring friendship. That scene where they were talking and talking was really nice, and was ten times more compelling than any of Magata's spoiler[personalities] trying to make some philosophy.

I give the show a 7/10 for being entertaining, though kind of ridiculous.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
After the first episode of the Perfect Insider aired a bunch of people were turned off by it, and they dismissed it as pretentious nonsense. I instead embraced the show with all its virtues and faults.

I disagree with Nick's belief that the show had that much potential to begin. I pretty much always saw the Perfect Insider as a show with eccentric and kind of dumb characters, an interesting visual style and a mystery that half the time struggled to be interesting.

I tempered my expectations and left mostly content with what this show offered. The Perfect Insider is very far from being a masterpiece, but I feel confident rating it as Good.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I was annoyed with this episode but there's still one episode to go before the series ends, so I'm going to wait to see how it gives meaning to everything that went before.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's solipsistic and empty, constructed of convenient pieces and never arriving at anything approaching a coherent point. I'd initially assumed, and continued to charitably assume right up until last week's remarkably disappointing episode, that the show knew this...

Took the words right out of my mouth, except I wasn't ready to see the truth until this episode: the writer(s) really do think these people are being deep.

Was Moe actually even talking to a real person in the cafe? (I don't recall seeing that person before :/) With all the scenery changes, I couldn't tell if time was passing, or she was tripping balls on the shrooms (as the writers apparently were) or what. Why was she anemic, and why was she eating mushrooms to cure this? What happened with Shiki and the "detectives"?

At any rate, the whole twin that never existed puts an entirely different spin on that Engrish session. I wonder where she ever heard English spoken to begin with?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I was annoyed with this episode but there's still one episode to go before the series ends, so I'm going to wait to see how it gives meaning to everything that went before.

It is over. It is only 11 episodes long.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was Moe actually even talking to a real person in the cafe? (I don't recall seeing that person before :/)

We have seen her before, a couple times. She's the member of the student group who I think got the most lines, and the one that Souhei mentioned would "die before wearing a dress" when he realized Magata had already skipped the island. I kind of got the impression that she was Souhei's TA, since he asked her how the class was going in the first episode.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
sunflower wrote:

It is over. It is only 11 episodes long.

Are you kidding me? That was it?

Okaaay.

Well then. That's a big letdown. I would have suggested they give it an ending that actually meant something. I would not recommend this to anyone.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
There’re still more adventures in store for Sohei and Moe. Author Mori Hiroshi wrote 9 more mystery novels featuring them. Together with Subete ga F, they form the S & M (Sohei & Moe) series.

In fact, Mori’s written over 30 novels now, covering a wide variety of genres such as romance, poetry, and adventure. He’s well known among his publishers for his punctuality, never missing a deadline.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
There’re still more adventures in store for Sohei and Moe. Author Mori Hiroshi wrote 9 more mystery novels featuring them. Together with Subete ga F, they form the S & M (Sohei & Moe) series.

I wonder if the novel writer also has his characters rambling on for pages and pages with these half-baked existential theories, or if that was more an affectation of the anime. Anyway, the middle nine episodes had a decent story and unlike Nick I didn't have any major issues with the mystery, but those first and last episodes were bigger drags than Souhei took on his cigarettes. 6/10 for me, and I don't see any re-watch value in this series at all.
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked this show quite a lot even with its pseudo-phosphical jargon, but I still can admit that the Magata segments of the finale were pretty damn stupid but not enough to flat out ruin the show. But calling Subete "Perfect" as its subtitle would imply would be a downright lie.

And a thing about the author of the original novel (I don't know if the anime is a good adaptation of the book or not), apparently he uses stuff like the hexadecimals to create mood or something, his WIkipedia page has a paragraph explaining this in full detail. Whether it works or not is up to personal preference. Considering the novel came out nearly 20 years ago, maybe it just aged poorly or was poorly adapted onto screen. (There is also apparently a Japanese drama based on the series but the plot line from the book was only in like 1 episode where as the anime adaptation spaced it out onto 11 episodes)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
I am not exactly sure what to think about this show anymore to be honest.

I really liked the characters mystery and pretty much everything (especially that ending) but after around episode 5 the series started tapering off.

I actually don't have that many problems with the mystery itself, the problems mostly come from magta and the male lead like most people.
Personally episodes 2-5 really made me extremely excited about this show but then it became apparent that they just didn't have much of any material left to it for episodes 6-9, and then we hit other issues with magata being insane and yet treated as actually be super smart.

I think they needed (him and other) acknowledge that she is very unhinged in addition to being very smart. I can accept that they didn't want to notice that she had a kid in there with her. I can by that her daughter (via incest) looked pretty much exactly like her, I can even buy into the evolution of their relationship,

What I can buy is his infatuation with her and the shows basic approval of it
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
This episode was divided in two : a part where my brain shut down due to the philosophical speechs of Magata, and a part where I enjoyed the personal relationship between Moe and Souhei.

Pretty much how I feel. This show did character interactions well. But truly trying to explain Magata's motives (she just wanted freedom?) was a bit befuddling.

RocketOtter wrote:
(There is also apparently a Japanese drama based on the series but the plot line from the book was only in like 1 episode where as the anime adaptation spaced it out onto 11 episodes)

This was the other issue with this show, it was really stretching it. When an 11 episode show has a recap, like come on really?

Over all I still mostly enjoyed it. It does kind of fall into that style of mystery were the explanation is bat-shit-insane. But I found that kind of fun. Really, my big complaint goes back to Magata's motives being to vague.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
I feel like my approach to anime is similar to Nick's. I tend to give every show I can literally fit into my schedule a chance, knowing that any show by its existence has a chance to shine. My only question is if not for doing these reviews, Nick would have stuck around to the end. I made it part way through episode 5 when the video froze. I took that as a sign and dropped it.

Over the last four seasons of anime before this one, I've only dropped 6 of the 100 or so that I started. I virtually dropped 5 so far this season (virtually meaning a couple of those I sort of said I will go back to even though I likely won't) with a couple more that I'm around 2 weeks behind on with little motivation to hurry with catching up on. The Perfect Insider is just another element of what has overall been one of the most underwhelming seasons of anime in a while. Without IBO and Asterisk War, this season would be almost nowhere.

Sorry for getting on about the season as a whole. At any rate, I might go back and marathon the last episodes if I have the time, but I've often said as much about shows like this - when your premise is based on mysteries that suppose your characters are smarter than most, you're putting yourself in dangerous territory, where your characters are either unlikable or your mystery critically flawed. Both seemed to be the case for this series right through the end.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
I have successfully identified Magata's philosophical trains of thought, if anyone is interested:

-Absurdism: The mere existence of the universe is random, and as such, seeking a confirmation for a role in humanity's existence is absurd. (Makes sense).

-Existencial Nihilism: Essentially a confirmation of the earlier one. (But you can always build a meaning for your life, in your choices and objectives, I believe).

-Moral Relativism: ''Right'' and ''Wrong'' are entirely dependant on perspective. (WTF!!!? She's crazy, but we already knew that)
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
My main problem with this anime wasn't so much the pseudo-philosophy or the ridiculous mystery but the complete lack of emotional connection i felt with any of these characters.

Moe was annoying as hell, Souhei pretentious and boring and Magata didn't even appear to be human. I couldn't even really feel sorry for her daughter and if anyone deserved pity in this show it was her because boy, what a shitty fate...

So i'd call the show mildly entertaining and would rate it slightly higher than Nick but overall i have to agree with him: lots of wasted potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8