• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't More Anime Made For Americans?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Depends on what facet of Japan you mean. If you mean Japanese government, there are plenty. If you mean Japanese food, there are plenty too. The thing is that, from what I can gather, most western anime fans skew pretty young and probably aren't as well-informed of Japan as a country besides its otaku output as your grandfather is with the United States.

You know his grandfather is just as ignorant about Japan judging by how he only seems to be focused on the negatives. You have to strike a balance between the good and the bad. Japan isn't perfect, but its society and structure for the most part functions much better than half the globe.
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
Most importantly, Japan just doesn't get us. At all. There are things American culture should learn from Japanese culture and things Japanese culture should learn from American culture but neither of us are eager or willing to do so.

Mostly this. Maybe if the general mainstream of both audiences are more open of anything outside their comfort zones, anime and any other avante-garde media can strike gold.

And no. Anime does NOT need to be "Westernized." There are aspects of anime the West can't and are unwilling to embrace as a whole. The concept of "moe" for example is something Japan for the most part perfected. Only MLP comes to mind that even comes close without the ape effect faux anime cartoons have suffered. Certain archetypes would never flourish as it is noe because Westerners would see it as sexist or emasculating.The West's (America) clashing views of sexuality and its obsession with the politically correct will never appreciate harems, idols or "cute girls doing cute things ." I dare anyone to create a mahou shoujo comic series and it won't even jump off the ground. All this would probably sound like good things to a few peeps, but the majority of anime fans do not want to lose any of these.

Even back in the 60's when anime was mainly children tales' adaptation, it still manages to stand out through it's local style and aesthetic. Losing Japan's animation identity will only bring it more harm than good at the end of this Western white washing. The people who even assume it would get slightly better by becoming HBO dramas with anime art painted all over are living in their own fantasy world.

So true about the girl thing. People in Japan see a cute girl doing something cute might say, "Oh that's cute!" but in America, it's "A cute girl doing cute things? How sexist!"
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the best argument against "westernizing" anime is the homogenizing effect it has on things in the video game world; there are plenty of international games studios, but very few leave any sort of cultural marks on their games and it seems the vast majority of them that use a real world setting stick them in the US anyway(here's looking at you, GTA).

As a kid, I remember playing a game called Beneath a Steel Sky(that for some reason always crashed and so I never actually finished until years later when I found out about SCUMM VM) that in retrospect didn't seem to make too much effort to 'globalize' itself, resulting it always seeming it being a bit odd to me(like how the subtitles occasionally said different things than the voices did); learning that it was an Australian production(and that there was a voiceless floppy edition) definitely explained quite a few things. Nowadays I'm not sure even that level of foreignness would be done(even if there aren't any "shrimp on the barbie"-level accents).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
whereas long-running comic book series are meant for readers to jump into or out from at any time they'd like.

If only that bold part were completely true. It's why DC rebooted, and probably why Marvel are giving that a shot...so people have a jumping on point.

CandisWhite wrote:
I've heard this before about comics, specifically on Jem forums, and my response is a big "Huh????". 5 minutes of inquiry, and pre-ordering a copy to make sure you get one, and everyone's problems are solved.

Sounds to me like someone has a good comic store. When I was buying from a LCS (stopped due to them moving too far for me to justify the trip), I never saw a previews catalog.

For people new to comics, you'd have to hope that they either know about Previews...or have walked into an LCS with helpful staff. Sadly, I'm unsure which of those two would be the harder to come by...

As for catering to an audience, which is the original topic, I'd like to know what that feels like (in a production with good acting, script/scenario, and budget). As an Australian, not really catered to. And, I must mention, beyond the news, I don't watch anything produced by the Australian TV/movie industry. Laughing

The last thing I watched, and enjoyed, was Tomorrow When the War Began...and I don't think that movie will be getting a sequel. Sad

Well, I do sometimes buy comic book grab bags, which will contain random issues fro random series. I'm just as likely to get something from the 2010's as I am to get something from DC's Golden Age. It doesn't bother me much, though you're right in that I did notice a trend of it being harder to figure out what's going on the more recent the comic book was. The most recent ones did have a recap though, but it didn't feel more confusing than starting a long-running shonen from the middle.

Preview guides are definitely something you have to be in the know about in order to use. Most people don't know they exist. You have the popular notion of the comic book fan walking into a comic book shop knowing exactly what they want. There's no signage in any comic book store I've been to that tells you that these guides exist and are available to view.

SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:
So true about the girl thing. People in Japan see a cute girl doing something cute might say, "Oh that's cute!" but in America, it's "A cute girl doing cute things? How sexist!"

No, the big difference is that cute girls ding cute things has male audience appeal in Japan whereas in the west, it almost never happens as the concept of cute girls doing cute things is assumed to be aimed at little girls (or women who like to watch such things). Except for Friendship Is Magic, that idea has never really worked in the west, and even with that show, male fans are marginalized and humiliated and have been even before they started waving a "look at me!" flag around. Also, that show's popularity with male audiences was accidental and unintentional.

A major reason behid this is that in Japan and in the west (particularly North America), what is considered attractive is pretty different. Japan seems to prefer innocent behavior and a childlike appearance. North Americans prefer in-the-know behavior and a mature appearance. A personality like Elvira would never fly in present-day Japan, for one.

What sexism occurs in series about cute girls doing cute things is not regarding the girls themselves, but the guys who would potentially watch them. Men are expected to watch things aimed at men, lest they be thought gay or pedophilic.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I travel a lot for work, and I make it a point to visit some comic book stores in those areas. There are very few comic book stores that have great selections. Most of them only have major titles out on display and for sale. Today many comic book stores are hybrid comic and gaming stores. And as others have said, you have to know what you want.

The comic book store where I live has a huge manga selection, huge figures (anime/game/comic) selection, huge comic selection, huge graphic novel selection, massive old comics selection, and some comic & movie antique toys. So I am blessed that way, because there are so few comic stores that are into anime and manga as this one is.

Some big cities do have large comic book stores, like New York City and Denver, but that is not the norm across the United States. But even then anime and manga are an afterthought.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
Zoids Fuzors and D.I.C.E. (Bandai) were animes made and aimed at the US audience before they went back to Japan. Can anyone say either of them were really successful? The only successful series I can think of being aimed at an American audience that was made as an anime for American audiences is Transformers (Transformers: Armada, Transformers: Energon, & Transformers: Cyberton).

Just kind of buries TMS in this article, but they scored one of the few major success stories in Bakugan. In the case of Transformers, Bakugan, Tenkai Knights, Beyblade Metal ___, etc. they're produced to be successful in both the west and Asia.

Zumie wrote:
We already have anime made in the US, or series which closely resemble it, like Avatar and Korra, The Boondocks (as much as some people would like to deny) and even Afro Samurai which is pretty high quality for an anime.

Afro Samurai is definitely anime. The series was mostly produced in Japan and was based on a Japanese manga series. Probably the most successful adult "this is made for the west" anime.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Zumie wrote:
We already have anime made in the US, or series which closely resemble it, like Avatar and Korra, The Boondocks (as much as some people would like to deny) and even Afro Samurai which is pretty high quality for an anime.

Afro Samurai is definitely anime. The series was mostly produced in Japan and was based on a Japanese manga series. Probably the most successful adult "this is made for the west" anime.

Okay, then, how about the Animatrix, commissioned by Warner, to cash in on the craze of comparing The Matrix to anime (gee, I wonder why? Rolling Eyes ), based on what was then the late 90's definition that Anime was "Anything that looked cool and fringe-y."

I'll confess laughing at anyone who called that their gateway series and claimed they were watching "anime"; I suspect I was not alone, and it's as true now as it was when Batman: Gotham Knight came out.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
I think a reason that the listed TMS titles have had a success here is partially because they were a toy/game franchises which often are suc-cessful here.
Hahalollawl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
If anime was so popular outside of Japan so as to warrant the creation of more anime intended for audiences outside of Japan, wouldn't companies outside of Japan sprung up to meet the demand? And not just kids cartoons...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I think the point of the original question was considering that North America is the largest audience for any entertainment medium and that catering to North Americans would be a good source of revenue and a good way to popularize anime.

This very same situation has already happened with cars, video games, and food and drink, to where companies like Toyota, Ubisoft, and Nestlé get huge amounts of their sales from outside their home countries. None of these products were that popular internationally until the companies that make those products started aggressively marketing internationally.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

And the next thing I hate about American entertainment media is "let's cancel this series and leave it on a cliffhanger forever".

Not exclusive to American TV series and somewhat more preferable to.

"Let's squeeze this material that should cover a specific number of episodes into a smaller number and let's throw in an unsatisfactory ending.

Also not exclusive to us.

EricJ2 wrote:

In America, you can watch any danged cartoon you want, and people will respect you for it...

Unless those people happen to be also be cartoon fans who'll wonder what drugs your mother was smoking while pregnant with you, that could possibly explain why you would watch and enjoy a show like Teen Titans Go. Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

In America, you can watch any danged cartoon you want, and people will respect you for it...

Unless those people happen to be also be cartoon fans who'll wonder what drugs your mother was smoking while pregnant with you, that could possibly explain why you would watch and enjoy a show like Teen Titans Go. Wink

Well, yes, I should have clarified that you can watch any classic cartoon that you want, while watching CN shows will gain you only contempt and drug tests, and watching cartoons about sponges or pastel-colored ponies will have your sexual orientation questioned. Razz

Testament to our culture, however, that you can quote lines from Chuck Jones cartoons in common parlance as a grown adult, and everyone will know exactly what you're talking about.
(Particularly for those comfortably well-off and without pronoun trouble, but who have difficulty remembering the correct lyrics to Ride of the Valkyries.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Or, in the case of shows like One Piece and Naruto stretching it out for as long as possible out of fear that their audiences will leave and never return.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
@Willag

I feel your pain about Once Upon a Time! I fell in love with the show and binged Season 1... then I stopped watching around the start of Season 3 because the plot became way too overly complicated. Oh Regina's not rly evil, her mom is! Oh wait her mom isn't, it's really... etc. etc. Some shows overstay their welcome. Glee! should've ended at season 3 as well, everything after was a mess and bordered on self parody.

Paiprince wrote:
The West's (America) clashing views of sexuality and its obsession with the politically correct will never appreciate harems, idols or "cute girls doing cute things ." I dare anyone to create a mahou shoujo comic series and it won't even jump off the ground.

Disney Anime hyper Sets Animated Ratings High with Star Vs the Forces of Evil

2 Million Viewers for Steven Universe Feb. 2015

You were saying? Also Rainbow Brite was huge when I was a small child, as was Sabrina the Teenage Witch when I was a teenager / preteen. Fully expecting a rebuttle that these aren't 'real' magical girl shows because of some caveat like 'they don't wear short skirts'. Oh, and yes I did use TV shows because comic sales are in the toilet over all. Of course it's not to say magical girl comics wouldn't sell. There's a whole generation of women raised on Sailor Moon, and there's solid proof that women are buying more and more comics.

America sort of does have idols. When I was a teen it was Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Mandy Moore. Later it was stuff like Hannah Montana. We even had American Idol, a show where more people voted for the top idols then they did in the presidential elections. Yes, I realize all or most of my examples have a female target audience. But realize that magical girl shows with a male target audience is a new phenomena in anime. In the 90's magical girl manga ran almost exclusively in shoujo / josei magazines.

We also have harem stuff. Look at the success of The Bachelor & The Bachelorette. There are equivalents here, it's just the target audience is vastly different and more diverse here. Your argument almost sounds like "I don't want my anime westernized it'll have to be more progressive about its gender politics! AND they'll have to start sexualizing women who are over 18 and aren't submissive baby waifus!" Correct me if I'm wrong here. And the 'cute girls doing cute things' does work for guys here; look at the Bronies.

No one ever implied Japan should kill off moe to make animated Games of Thrones shows. I may dislike moe, but I don't think it shouldn't exist. Creative freedom and all that. The more diverse the shows we get, the better because everyone's happy. More coproductions doesn't necessarily mean less moe/harem/idol shows. Japan has always had that and always will, as long as there are lonely geeks with loads disposable income. Even in the 80's and 90's where action & sci fi where huge, we still had Kimagure Orange Road, Ah! My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo, Saber Marionette, Love Hina, etc...

As to my other comments about western comics & retconning things... yes I was referring to Marvel & DC, because they own such a large chunk of market. I understand there are indie comics out there with self contained stories, and that's awesome. I know it's because the IP is profitable, but it strikes me as creatively bankrupt. I like anime because most of the time, I can suss out a beginning, middle and end. I like stories like that, just a preference.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
Space Dandy is probably an American-geared anime that might be one of the most successful ones for a while and that may be partially because it is from the Cowboy Bebop director.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8