• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Films' Eren, Mikasa, 11 Others Unveiled in Costume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Whether this movie will be crap or not, I don't think a Hollywood version would be any better. There are some financially successful big budget R Rated movies like The Matrix Reloaded, but I don't think Attack on Titan has enough name recognition in the US to merit at least a superficially faithful adaptation, like Watchmen, which was a boxoffice disappointment anyway. And don't tell me it would work as a PG-13 movie.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
but I don't think Attack on Titan has enough name recognition in the US to merit at least a superficially faithful adaptation, like Watchmen, which was a boxoffice disappointment anyway. And don't tell me it would work as a PG-13 movie.

I'm sorry did you forget Toonami broadcasted the anime, and Marvel announced a crossover with the franchise. I think Attack on Titan has enough recognition in the US for Hollywood to adapt it.

Also I agree with dtm42 on this live-action adaptation, I think Hollywood could've pull this off, as long as Gareth Edwards, Peter Jackson, Christopher Nolan, Zack Snyder, or even Bong Joon-Ho are the one that direct the film adaptation, I think the Hollywood version can be successful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7: You clearly didn't read my whole post. R rating and big budget rarely go together, even with movies, which have much bigger brand recognition than Attack on Titan or even Marvel comics. Even Spawn, which had a relatively low budget, had to tone down the gore from the comics.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7: You clearly didn't read my whole post. R rating and big budget rarely go together, even with movies, which have much bigger brand recognition than Attack on Titan or even Marvel comics. Even Spawn, which had a relatively low budget, had to tone down the gore from the comics.

I can name several R-rated movie with big budget that did well (The Expandables being one of them). Please don't use the live-action Spawn as your evidence that movie is from 1997, that was a different time. If there was a reboot of Spawn, then there would be a lot of gore.

I still think Hollywood is capable of pulling off Attack on Titan live-action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Please don't use the live-action Spawn as your evidence that movie is from 1997, that was a different time. If there was a reboot of Spawn, then there would be a lot of gore.

Then I'll use Watchmen, which was a financial disappointment. The Expendables movies don't quite have the budgets needed to compete with blockbuster super hero movies. The budget needed for Hollywood Attack on Titan would be closer to The Avengers and at that point you can kiss goodbye to the gore.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

Then I'll use Watchmen, which was a financial disappointment. The Expendables movies don't quite have the budgets needed to compete with blockbuster super hero movies. The budget needed for Hollywood Attack on Titan would be closer to The Avengers and at that point you can kiss goodbye to the gore.

Uh, last time I check, The Watchman was not a financial flop. The budget for that film was 130 million dollars, it already made $185,258,983 total although it did made about $107,509,799 in the US. But it was able to earn back most of the money thanks to the international market to make up for the budget production. But still The Watchman is just maybe polarizing to many people when they watch it, also the characters of The Watchman, they're not household name unlike other superhero like compared to let say Superman, Batman, Wonder Women, Justice League etc.... That could've been another factor why it's US profits may not have been strong.

Also a Hollywood adaptation of Attack on Titan will not only be shown in US but also around the world including Japan, so the Hollywood live-action adaptation could make a lot of money by using foreign market, not only US market.

Beside most of the US/Hollywood films make a lot of profits from foreign market, not just from the US market. This happen a lot all the time, so I don't see what stopping people from having Hollywood making a live-action Attack on Titan.

FYI: The Avengers made more money overseas then in the US despite the US profit covered most of the production budget.

Box office mojo wrote:

The Avenger's Total Lifetime Grosses:
Domestic: $623,357,910 41.0%
+ Foreign: $895,237,000 59.0%

So a Hollywood adaptation of Attack on Titan could make a lot of money in the foreign market including Japan, it will make a lot of money in the US but the foreign market will be the one that'll determine that.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Yeah these live-action movies from Japan are horrendous. Last ones I saw that were barely passable was 20th Century Boys.

Yeah. Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kitano, Naruse, Kobayashi's films are all crap. Laughing

Though it's true Miyazaki's criticism that Japanese live action film is pretty much garbage since the 1970's. They are really poorly directed. The 20th Century Boys films are good because of the source material but the direction itself reminds me of Brazilian soup operas.

mdo7 wrote:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

Uh, last time I check, The Watchman was not a financial flop. The budget for that film was 130 million dollars, it already made $185,258,983 total although it did made about $107,509,799 in the US.

That means it was. A film needs to make 3 times the cost of production to make a profit. Only 40-50% of the gross of a film goes to studios, most of it stays in the theaters, then the studio has production and promotion costs. A blockbuster film promotional campaign costs tens of millions of dollars, so Watchmen had 130 million dollars of production cost plus around 50 million dollars of promotional costs, totaling 180 million dollars so it had to gross around 400 million dollars to make up for the cost, less than that is a flop.

Quote:
Also a Hollywood adaptation of Attack on Titan will not only be shown in US but also around the world including Japan, so the Hollywood live-action adaptation could make a lot of money by using foreign market, not only US market.

Attack on Titan is really popular in Japan, maybe some other parts in East Asia only. An Asian cast would attract more that public than a Caucasian cast.

Overall, Japanese film studios might try to adapt their films to the growing Chinese market, which will surpass the US's market size in a few years. (there are already 30 movies making more than 50 million dollars in China in 2014, in the US they are 53 movies). China's market is big enough to actually sustain a film industry that can compete with Hollywood in special effects and other technical terms.

[EDIT: Please use the Edit button instead of double-posting. Thanks. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I wrote:

Uh, last time I check, The Watchman was not a financial flop. The budget for that film was 130 million dollars, it already made $185,258,983 total although it did made about $107,509,799 in the US.

That means it was. A film needs to make 3 times the cost of production to make a profit. Only 40-50% of the gross of a film goes to studios, most of it stays in the theaters, then the studio has production and promotion costs. A blockbuster film promotional campaign costs tens of millions of dollars, so Watchmen had 130 million dollars of production cost plus around 50 million dollars of promotional costs, totaling 180 million dollars so it had to gross around 400 million dollars to make up for the cost, less than that is a flop.

I understand but The Watchman isn't a flop/box office bomb. I know how the industry work.

Quote:
I wrote:

Attack on Titan is really popular in Japan, maybe some other parts in East Asia only. An Asian cast would attract more that public than a Caucasian cast.

Overall, Japanese film studios might try to adapt their films to the growing Chinese market, which will surpass the US's market size in a few years. (there are already 30 movies making more than 50 million dollars in China in 2014, in the US they are 53 movies). China's market is big enough to actually sustain a film industry that can compete with Hollywood in special effects and other technical terms.

I don't know if China will allow the Attack on Titan film to be shown in China given the political tension between the 2 countries (particularly, the Senkaku/Daioyu Island), just got this news this morning. Also for the last few years, Japan has not been actively promoting their films outside of Asia. Even Dramafever and Hulu (Hulu has a lot of classic Japanese films, but very small catalog of Japanese films that came out recently) don't have a lot of Japanese films that came out recently (Well Dramafever doesn't have any Japanese films at all to be exact).
LargeView

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
As far as the complaints about why didn't this go to a Hollywood studio, the ones making those complaints are not aware that the live action rights were bought up for this when the manga came out not when the anime was released in the US by Funimation. Attack On Titan became huge in Japan on the manga alone. The live action film rights were bought up by Toho before the anime adaptation even came out. So there was no knowledge of this series outside of Japan apart from hardcore manga fans. What Hollywood studio was going to be interested in buying up live action film rights to something that was almost unknown of outside of Japan at the time? Toho wanted to capitalize because they knew a live action movie could be a huge hit. So they bought up the rights. It's no different to how Hollywood studios buy up movie rights for a best selling book series not long after they come out so that they can capitalize.

[EDIT: Not all things you dislike have to be "disgusting." If you don't like it, that's fine. But use a little more subtlety instead of making blanket generalizations that all things *you* dislike are horrible and that anyone who likes what you don't are bad for doing so. -TK]
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
If they're going to go full post apocalyptic, can we homage some other zombie media? How about taking a cue from World War Z the book and playing Iron Maiden?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
Deleted some posts.

Please keep personal vendettas off of public threads.
LargeView

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
@Tony K.

Please explain to me why describing racist casting practices as "disgusting" is something not allowed on this forum. So racism is not disgusting according to this website? So a bunch of people on this website can defend whitewashing characters and holding back actors of color in the Hollywood industry but someone cannot call out that very racism as "disgusting"?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Your "equal rights" crusade is fine and dandy. However, that's *all* your posts ever talk about: the unfairness of white-washing. Your continuous focus on that topic, alone, can be considered soapboxing.

You also assume that just because Hollywood movies cast usually-more-well-known white people instead of not-as-widely-known people of color, that it's a purposeful display of discrimination and racism. And because of this, the end product is somehow tainted, disgusting, and therefore, unworthy of any praise or merit, whatsoever.

Even if the movie is monetarily successful, ends up being critically acclaimed, liked by the general populace, or is found enjoyable by some random person in any way, shape, or form, you don't seem to have any positive remarks, regardless.

Essentially, your posts come off as bashing peoples' opinions by proxy. Because *you* don't like the casting choices and call said movies "trash," how is it okay for you to be so negative, but so wrong for anyone else to be even remotely positive?

Like I said, you can make your stance and be unhappy all you want. But don't make blanket generalizations and say something is trash and that the people who like that something are also "in the wrong" because they don't share the same opinion. Be more subtle, and take a chill pill.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
MechaGolem wrote:

For those who love anime but apparently can't tolerate Japan's live-action films I know I've undoubtedly made things all that much worse for you. But for those of us who enjoy (or maybe even prefer) tokusatsu to anime this all sounds amazing!

Well to be honest, when it comes to Japanese films, they can't really hold candle to Hollywood films or other Asian cinema (ie: South Korea, Mainland China), so that's why I'm not sure how Attack on Titan live-action will look. If you seen the live-action adaptation of Lupin the 3rd, and Kiki's delivery service. They didn't look good in the end.

most south korean movies are barely watchable. hongkong movies are better.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:

Most south korean movies are barely watchable. hongkong movies are better.

I don't think you can't find a recent Hong Kong cinema that can hold up to Roaring Current or Snowpiercer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7