• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
We've all been pretty raw in this thread but let's try to at least go for a hard PG-13 light R around here, OK? This is over the line.

Sorry about that.
seinenfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Only if you willfully misread most of the commentary, and ignore all the other people (quite a few who somehow never quite got around to actually watching it...) jumping on the train with Zac.

I've read through most of it, and the people you're talking about (On ANN anyways) are few.

zensunni wrote:
It's actually kind of charming once you get used to it... Smile

People tried to claim the same thing with Lotte's Toy. No, it's not charming as the intent is obvious.

Are you really comparing a school romance featuring post-pubscent teenagers to Lotte?
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I kinda relate to Makino in Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, the girl who embalms corpses yet finds bugs and camping outdoors gross. I've dug around in the bodies of human cadavers, held a human brain in my bare hands, ran some tests on a freshly cut pig's head, cleaned out pig intestines, and handle pig intestine tissue often (the medical device company I work for makes tissue-engineered products made from a layer of pig intestine). And yet smells and bodily fluids that relate to sexual arousal gross me out. Spit included (all this talk about spit swapping during french kissing makes me go "ick").

Then again, I currently identify as asexual. I've never dated and have only kissed one person (besides family) on the lips and that was completely unintentional.

Regardless, I'm still curious about MGX, if for nothing else than the gross-out factor. Maybe the strangeness of it will keep me around, or maybe the disgust of watching a guy lick some girl's drool off of her fingers or his own will turn me away. Or maybe seeing it animated won't bother me (although I kinda doubt it - some of those barf drool pictures got me cringing).

But I'm still most looking forward to Kids on the Slope. I think I'm actually going to watch that weekly. I normally don't for simulcasts - I'd rather wait for a series to finish. But this one, I'm really wanting to check out.

Last edited by Crisha on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

THERE IS NO TRUTH BUT FENCEDUDE'S.

And yet somehow your truth counts. Why is that?
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Get back to /a/.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

And for the curious, Rebecca Silverman gave, presumably under some influence from the recent acrimony, Mysterious Girlfriend X something between apathy and a recommendation.

Eh, it was less influenced by the rancor than it sounds. It was more that, aside from the whole spit thing (and I don't recall who brought it up, but yes, a sloppy kiss would have grossed me out as much), I could see a decent show. I tried to keep in mind that just because I felt like throwing up doesn't mean that everyone else would.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Get back to /a/.

I haven't posted on /a/ for something like 4 years.

I don't see anything particularly /a/ish about that post, your other post on the other hand...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Not that I really want to get in to it with you again, but that was just a joke. You do tend to express yourself in absolutes, "correcting" everyone else's opinion as though your take on something is right and everyone else is wrong.

My "truth" doesn't count more than anyone else's.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Not that I really want to get in to it with you again, but that was just a joke. You do tend to express yourself in absolutes, "correcting" everyone else's opinion as though your take on something is right and everyone else is wrong.

My "truth" doesn't count more than anyone else's.

Truth's are only relevant to those that perceive them to be a fact some once told me. Basically your truth on x anime can be true for y amount of people while z will want to re-butt your truth becasue they don't want to accept that as the only truth given. I really need to lay off the philosophy books for a while.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
I don't care if their connection to each other is a bit gross. There are worse things that they could do to cement their love than having her stick a damp finger in his mouth!

Sorry dude, but It looks like he's spoiler[sucking a dick]. Maybe this is some sort of spoiler[futanari thing]?

If that looks like aspoiler[ dick] to you, I'm sorry...spoiler[ It will probably get bigger after puberty.]

Princess_Irene wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

And for the curious, Rebecca Silverman gave, presumably under some influence from the recent acrimony, Mysterious Girlfriend X something between apathy and a recommendation.

Eh, it was less influenced by the rancor than it sounds. It was more that, aside from the whole spit thing (and I don't recall who brought it up, but yes, a sloppy kiss would have grossed me out as much), I could see a decent show. I tried to keep in mind that just because I felt like throwing up doesn't mean that everyone else would.

I don't recall if it was your review, or Bamboo, but I remember a comment about the sloppy kiss scene in Occult Academy pratically ruining it. I understand the gross-out factor... I thought your revew of MGX was very fair.
the Rancorous wrote:
zensunni wrote:

People tried to claim the same thing with Lotte's Toy. No, it's not charming as the intent is obvious.

Yes, the intent is obvious: A unique method of demonstrating the bond forming between two young people falling in love. Let's face it, this is something new. As the story goes on, it gets even more interesting, in terms of the emotional connection between the two. It is a supernatural, mystery, school romance. The bond between them is part of the mystery and the supernatural aspects of the story. Don't presume you know the gutter that other people's minds are resting in. Mine rests in a very different gutter than many of the people that post here, obviously! (I'm not saying it is a better gutter, just different... Everyone is a pervert in their own way, or in denial, or really boring... LOL! Smile )

Last edited by zensunni on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
No love for Jormungand? This show is not that bad. No fan service, Loli, and etc.

the new vols of the manga is always on NY time top 10 list.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-20/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-january-8-14
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I understand; I probably would've taken a similar, if slightly less reserved, approach in your position. Reading the range of opinions on the series has made me want to get every reviewer to take the disgust scale test from Jonathan Haidt's moral inventory.

Mmmmmm, rancor. I don't see that word enough. I don't think I've encountered it at all since the last time I watched A Nero Wolfe Mystery.

Spotlesseden wrote:
No love for Jormungand? This show is not that bad. No fan service, Loli, and etc.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-20/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-january-8-14

I think that it might be because Jormungand was licensed for streaming by FUNImation before it aired, so ANN won't review fansubs of it and the streaming likely won't begin until the guide has ended. That's a shame as it was one that I was particularly interested in reading previews for.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

oh it has fan service with it's female lead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

It has fanservice and Shota, instead of fanservice and loli.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

However, Funimation has licensed it, but have not started their simulcast, that makes it pretty much a no-go for reviews of it, since they could not use a legal US feed to do the review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 69