• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Suspends Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Production

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
If you want to buy pieces of garbage then go ahead. It's your money! Rolling Eyes

It's sad knowing people participate in this delusion that the Japanese version is 'always' a holy gift from God, especially when you have grown-up male characters with chick voices and action with little background music.

But at least I'm not shallow enough to not buy a series just because it has an inferior dub (In DBZ's case, superior if you prefer intensity over boring), or as in many weaboo cases, the fact that it has a dub altogether.

NJ_ wrote:
No thanks, i have my Dragon Boxes to keep me happy since it's all of Dragon Ball Z in it's full presentation (with next episode previews (& GT's) included & completely unmolested video).

Okay, you have the Dragon Box sets, good for you, it's not worth buying something all over again. at least not until your disks are all scratched up and unusable but that's likely gonna take years to happen.

But regarding 'next episode previews' - Who the hell cares about that? How much nitpicking can there be over the most trivial aspect of a show? It's just footage of something you're gonna watch anyway.

NJ_ wrote:
No point in re-buying the show when those Blu-ray sets has pretty much the same quality as the old DVD singles.

Now I know you're spewing BS. Anyone with working eyes will say that the blu-ray versions outshine the DVD versions by light years. Of course it doesn't hide the age of the anime, but certainly makes the lines sharper and cleaner, and colors brighter and reduces that slight haze we see on the DVD's.

Unless you're talking about Z Kai which I would admit is not well-remastered. What FUNi did to DBZ was a lot better.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless you're talking about Z Kai which I would admit is not well-remastered. What FUNi did to DBZ was a lot better.

It's sad to participate in this delusion that everything Funi does is 'always' a holy gift from God and that those damn Japonese don't know a thing about Dragon Ball or video editing technology.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I was actually interested in the Blurays somewhat, or would have bought a set later or something, but it wasn't a high priority since I already have their cropped-DVDs, which I don't mind as much as others did.

I have become pickier about video quality in recent years so a real upgrade would be nice, and I bought the first couple of Kai sets blindly, but really didn't like them much unfortunately.

I admit that I really like the Falconer music of the Funimation version, so the Kai release was lacking for me.

But I certainly don't think that the Japanese suck at editing, it's just obvious they had a different vision for the show, and arguably theirs may be more "correct" but I preferred what Funimation did (absent the bizarre cropping decision).
LaSean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Bruce Falconer music much more. It gets me excited and builds up tension and actually fits the fights unlike the original Japanese music.
I like the orginal Japanese music for DB but not DBZ. And I respect the Japanese VA's but I prefer male characters with male voices... and I want to watch the show not read it, having to pause cause the words went by to fast, or miss the action cause I'm looking down at the bottom of the screen is not enjoyable to me. Hearing something in my native language is better than listening to the original version. So DBZ dub and Funi music is the better version, and I don't like the new voice actors that are in kai, but the old VA's in kai are better now.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
But regarding 'next episode previews' - Who the hell cares about that? How much nitpicking can there be over the most trivial aspect of a show? It's just footage of something you're gonna watch anyway.

Not really, some of the clips shown in most previews gets reanimated in the actual episodes and with DBZ, there were plenty of unused footage so it's fun to spot the differences along with hearing (and reading since they're unfortunately sub-only) the narration because they're actually entertaining most of the time.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

A lot of the time in anime, next episode previews are little skits on their own. They can be pretty funny and hilarious when the characters are talking in character about what's going to happen next... some times they don't even talk about the episode at all and just chat among themselves.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

It's sad to participate in this delusion that everything Funi does is 'always' a holy gift from God and that those damn Japonese don't know a thing about Dragon Ball or video editing technology.

No, what's sad is that people spew BS without witnessing the facts for themselves because they WANT to believe one thing is ALWAYS right. Fanboy Wanker-ism is what it is. Anyone with working eyes can see the FUNimation's DBZ's blu-rays are better quality than the DBZ Kai series. And anyone with working ears and a bit of logic would prefer a man sounding like a man rather than a chick unless there's a valid explanation for it. But in the case of DBZ dub-haters, they just want to bitch over everything, what a bunch of wankers they are.
isamu99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
So, have they said anything recently on whether they plan to continue releasing DBZ on BD?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Obviously not as there would have otherwise been a news article about it. No news = Blu-ray Production still suspended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
isamu99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Obviously not as there would have otherwise been a news article about it. No news = Blu-ray Production still suspended.

Darn Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6