• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
I normally don't watch dubbed shows. The only time I have anything to do with them is recommending them to my friends who don't like watching anime with Japanese + sub, and also when I want to see the difference between Japanese and English dub. But I think I know enough to say that the dub doesn't sound bad at all, because the voice actresses captured the personality of the characters they are acting and they didn't sound weird.
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
Autotune dat Kyubey this instant!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence on whether or not to get this. I haven't seen the show yet I've already seen some minor spoilers in this thread. Thanksfully the continuation of the great sub/dub debate has helped scrub said spoilers out of my short term memory.

dtm42 wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
Now am I wrong in thinking that they weren't miscast? Cause from what I'm reading it kinda sounds like you're trying to say I am.

I am saying that you're wrong. But that's for another thread.

Well, I'm gonna say that you're the one who's wrong. It's for this thread. Just take the posts from everyone who disagrees with your position and copypasta here.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Face it, guys, no matter how the trailer for the dub sounded, there would still be the same amount of hate spewed forth at it on the forum.

I thought it was okay. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible, though personally I thought Kyubey could have had a more androgynous voice, but hey, we can't win all the time. Though it does make me curious how they refer to him in the dub, as a he or a she or not at all (which WOULD sound ridiculous if not handled correctly).

Other than that, I felt like some of the voices all sounded kind of the same, but I blame that mostly on the mixing. I'll hold off judgement on that until I hear an actual episode, as most people SHOULD do but won't.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
First, a general comment: some posts in this thread (like the one I'm quoting below) are getting close to a pure "sub vs. dub" debate. Keep things at least partly on-topic, people.

AilisKnil wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
AilisKnil wrote:
Japanese dubs are better. It's simply because of the way the media evolved in the country; as animation took prominence, much more attention was paid to voice acting, so of course the average seiyuu will be more experienced than a relatively unknown English voice actor. On the other hand, I'd say the Japanese are terrible live action actors.

I don't think I've heard a "good" English anime dub since the 90s. Maybe that's because I'd not been exposed to many original dubs at that point, but I think it has something to do with the fact you'd tend to see a number of voice actors experienced in dubbing American cartoons kind of dipping into anime dubbing at the time. I feel like we rarely get that overlap these days, and we're stuck with this little incestuous group of people who think they can act by throwing out their lines in a stiff falsetto.

But I really can't watch any English dubs of anime anymore, simply because, to me, it deviates far too much from the original product. It's not because I'm a weeaboo - I refuse to watch anime dubs in much the same way I will never watch an English dub of a Spanish film, or a Russian film, or whatever. The original is always the best. If you like English dubs, that's fine, but there's no reason to insult those who prefer the Japanese dub, because there's much more to support their argument than "everything Japanese is great".

Except your entire argument basically IS "JAPANESE IS BETTER"

Also, most Japanese dubs of anime are terrible. I've slowly come to this realization. They're badly acted, overly hammy (Why do most Seiyuu feel the need to YELL THEIR LINES LIKE THIS all the time jesus it even happens in moe shows), and too many of the girls sound like they're five-years-old.

"If you like English dubs, that's fine,"

You cannot get away with saying this when the first two paragraphs of your post was "YOUR OPINION IS WRONG"

Chill out, guy.

I'm not sure what else you want from me. I gave you a few pretty solid reasons why Japanese dubs tend to be better objectively, and why I personally think they're better. Not once did I simply say that the Japanese dub is better because it's Japanese.

Your opinion on Japanese dubs, however, is obviously influenced by your inability to see past the norms of your own culture. I'm not saying Japanese dubs are inherently great. You'll get some good seiyuu, and some terrible ones. But have you ever spoken with a Japanese person, or hell, even listened to a Japanese person speak? What you perceive as "overly hammy" acting is sort of an ingrained part of the language. What you're hearing is more of a cultural difference than it is a quality difference.

But not once in my previous post did I ever mean to imply that liking English dubs is a bad thing. I certainly don't like them, but far be it from me to stop you.

You may not have "meant" to imply that, but I can certainly see how your comments can be interpreted that way, and I agree that your comments in the last paragraph of the previous post read like backpedaling to avoid blatantly coming off like you're subjectively hating on English dubs. You claimed to be making some "objective" comments here, but then throw in an extremely inflammatory line like the one I bolded. Those are the kind of lines from people I call purists (and you're definitely one, based on your comments) that get English dub fans riled up. I am totally fine with people preferring subs because they prefer it the way it was originally done or universally believe that the original is always the best (even if I don't agree with that viewpoint), but when people go around tossing out blanket accusations about how English dub VAs can't act, them's fightin' words, pardner.

In general about the dub for PMMM: If Bang Zoom! is the one dubbing it then we don't have much to worry about when it comes to the dub being directed properly. They have one of the most solid - if not the most solid - track records in the business when it comes to dubbing anime into English.

And dtm42: Others have pretty much answered your last question to me about the trailer, so I'll just add that not giving even a hint in the trailer about the true artistic or storytelling merits of the series is a dangerous ploy on Aniplex's part. In fact, the artistry and story elements portrayed in this trailer look so mundane that I doubt I'd even check this one out without word-of-mouth. (And to those who claim they wouldn't ever buy a series off of a trailer: yes, there are people who still do that. In fact, that used to be the norm.) While I can understand the desire to have a certain amount of surprise value, Aniplex is being so reserved that it's not giving people any incentive to check out what's already a comparatively overpriced series, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Also, does anyone feel that English dubs of Anime tend to sound very unnatural?Imean, it's pretty obvious when compared to other American cartoons. The 'unnaturalness' is just not there. Is it because the English voice actors deliberately try to match the original character's voices?

Id say its more the case that since you always watch the original first, and since the speaking styles of the English and Japanese languages are so vastly different, that you've already become accustomed to the original to the point that anything else will sound unnatural anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
lilly_938 wrote:
Exactly. You'd think Aniplex would spare no expense to get experienced VAs that know what to do, considering it's arguably one of their most sought after titles (judging by the reaction to its license, and the fact that they are taking the risk of releasing it in *3* different ways: how many titles have had that treatment?) Maybe my expectations were too high? Maybe I just attached the original voices to the characters too much...

I think that might be so, because I think Aniplex USA has done a fine job with the production of this show thus far. Far better than how most other liscensing companies handle their shows imo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Others have pretty much answered your last question to me about the trailer, so I'll just add that not giving even a hint in the trailer about the true artistic or storytelling merits of the series is a dangerous ploy on Aniplex's part.

I agree on this one. In Japan this worked because people would watch the series anyway (since it's by Shaft, Shinbo, Kajiura and all those people). And when they did, they were caught by surprise (which imo is a significant reason for the success of Madoka). I doubt that it would work outside Japan.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well regardless of the comtent in the trailer, I dont think Aniplex has much to worry about on the sales front. From what I hear, these dvd/blu-ray sets are still selling like hotcakes anyway.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Actar wrote:

Also, does anyone feel that English dubs of Anime tend to sound very unnatural?Imean, it's pretty obvious when compared to other American cartoons. The 'unnaturalness' is just not there. Is it because the English voice actors deliberately try to match the original character's voices?

Id say its more the case that since you always watch the original first, and since the speaking styles of the English and Japanese languages are so vastly different, that you've already become accustomed to the original to the point that anything else will sound unnatural anyway.

My personal OPINION is that dubs are less good on average than the original version (and this applies to any combination of original versus dubbed language: I don't want to watch The Simpsons (English) in Arabic or Chico and Rita (Spanish) in Russian or Kirikou and the Sorceress (French) in Japanese or Justice League Unlimited (English) in Danish and so on), due to various factors such as cultural differences and original versus adaptation (the same argument as book versus movie adaptation or manga versus anime adaptation or vice versa), but

A) it's just my opinion, I don't claim it's a fact and if someone else disagrees then as long as they don't call me a weaboo (because it's uncivil and because I do not think that Japanese, specifically, is better, I think the original language version is usually better and prefer to watch it personally) or something that's fine and I don't think they're wrong to have a different opinion per se.

B) I do not think that dubs are always bad, I have heard some that I thought were good, very good even, though speaking from my personal experience I started out watching dubbed Miyazaki movies and then starting watching them subbed and preferred them that way, even though I thought the English dubs were good (at least in terms of acting), and when I rented my first anime series I tried the dub first and hated it, so I watched the subbed version instead, so at least in my case I have not found that I prefer the version I heard first, though I'm sure that's a factor for some people.

Anyway, I'd like to see Madoka Magica but don't know what my country's censors would think of the opening, so I'm not buying this, to me the dub sounds ok based on the trailer, but I'd want to hear the whole thing to make a more informed judgement, and I'd rather watch the show in it's original language, so I'll leave the dub reviews to people who actually like watching dubbed anime, as their opinions are going to be more relevant to dub fans.

Oh, and to whoever made that "typical kid" comment, I guess there weren't enough generalisations being made in this thread already so you had to badmouth teenagers?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In fact, the artistry and story elements portrayed in this trailer look so mundane that I doubt I'd even check this one out without word-of-mouth.

Once again, you display another example why I will continue to put stock in your opinion than any other anime fan I know. Impressive how the same thoughts were borne just from the clip.

However, where we separate comes down to the clip's purpose. This would never have made a difference to me in terms of a "pass/watch" decision because this industry has destroyed the preview clip's purpose.

In this age of digital streaming, every episode will be previewed and this now dictates my collection.

Question now is who works with Aniplex to stream it, since it's obvious loss of sales is no longer an issue.

Oh, and one more thing to say: "Squid girl!!!!!!!!!"
*ahem*

Sorry. I just finished up part one last night and it was impossible not to hear Squid Girl.
Razz
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Key wrote:
Others have pretty much answered your last question to me about the trailer, so I'll just add that not giving even a hint in the trailer about the true artistic or storytelling merits of the series is a dangerous ploy on Aniplex's part.

I agree on this one. In Japan this worked because people would watch the series anyway (since it's by Shaft, Shinbo, Kajiura and all those people). And when they did, they were caught by surprise (which imo is a significant reason for the success of Madoka). I doubt that it would work outside Japan.
This is debatable. To say that the trailer worked because people would watch the show anyway is to say the trailer might as well not exist.

On top of that, I'm sure there are people in Japan, anime fans, who saw the trailer and wrote the show off (initially; they may have given it a proper chance eventually on word of mouth), just as the first episode itself for a fact caused some people to do.

Key wrote:
In fact, the artistry and story elements portrayed in this trailer look so mundane that I doubt I'd even check this one out without word-of-mouth.
Right, my point exactly.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Not thrilled about Madoka's voice. Which, thinking about it, is a little odd because that's pretty much the same way the character was played in Japanese; but it just doesn't sound natural in English. Same with Sayaka. Thought Kyubey could have sounded a little more androgynous. Thought the rest were good. There's not a whole lot to go on, particularly given the disparity of tone between the trailer and the series. (And it's not like the opening scene of the series wasn't ominous and dark, so the saccharine nature of the trailer is betrayed pretty immediately).

Veers wrote:
This is debatable. To say that the trailer worked because people would watch the show anyway is to say the trailer might as well not exist.

The point wasn't that the trailer worked because people would watch it anyway, it was that the trailer worked because it informed people of the talent behind the show, and because of that they watched the show.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'll repost what I said in the Aniplex Thread:

Madoka and Sayaka are OK, but everyone else is really good; Mami and Homura in particular. I expect this to be a case where, since everyone else around them is really good, Madoka and Sayaka's VA's will get better by the third or fourth episode by virtue of working with good talent. Not to mention Von David has directed some pretty good dubs. I'm so glad I can stop worrying about the quality of the dub now.

Agreed.

I'm unfamiliar with most of the talent listed here so I'm very excited to perhaps find new VAs whose work I'll enjoy.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
So how much is this one gonna cost me? $100 or $200 Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14