• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Attractive Anime Girl Contest (and Stereotype Battle)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's not too much to Eureka's personality in the first few episodes. But later one she becomes more interested in learning about humans and their emotions (and tries to be closer to Renton Wink ). I'd never vote for a mindless, pointless reason. I just had to include Eureka, because she and Robin S. (who I seconded earlier) and Yuki N. are some of the few girls I consider actually "pretty" from a real girl's point of view. I really like Urd, too, psycho (personality included).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I hear your guys' comments but I think this thread should stay as it was defined. A contest AND discussion relating to LOOKS only, as much as possible. I think that it is wrong to assume that a discussion based on looks only has to be shallow. Hopefully this thread will eventually show that to be a misconception, if all goes well.

I'm not saying that other types of character discussions, such as those including personality, etc, are bad. But I defined this thread to be looks only and that's what I want here.

I also hear what is being said about "popular" girls being more likely to be voted for or mentioned than girls that actually meet the contest criteria. That's always going to be a problem. Hopefully that aspect can be kept under control here. By specifying LOOKS ONLY (as much as possible) that's a clear way to state that popularity should not matter. How well it will work remains to be seen.
ElementSun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
So I guess character design will be the driving force in this tournament eh?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah pretty much. At least, that is the intention.

Your comment just now also made me think. To the people who think that looks and that discussions relating to looks are shallow...then why do character designers exist? The Character Design position/credits is one of the most important attributes of any anime (at least to me). If looks weren't an important area, "character designer" probably wouldn't be a profession.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
When we say character design are we talking about how nice they look in terms of round features, graphically nice, are they proportionate, etc etc....or are we saying character design as in how sexy they are and their sex appeal or how big their breasts are? Visually appealing or sexually appealing basically?
ElementSun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote
I would definitely have to say visually appealing. A girl can have no breasts at all and I would probably still find her quite attractive. What I think are the two most important features of an animated girl are her hair and her eyes. They are the absolute focal point.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
I understand what you are trying to do Porcupine and I will agree that if it came down to the characters that I have no knowledge of I would probably fall back on looks. What you have to understand Porcupine is when to make a statement like “looks only” it comes off as being ignorant. I not saying your ignorant I’m saying the statement is. I mean if you where talking to someone and they said “The only thing I care about in a women is how good she looks” you, me, and everyone here would probably think something like “This guy is a/n [insert own word here]”.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
To the discussion in general (not addressing anyone in particular):

It is not necessarily "shallow" to appreciate good-looking characters. That's an insult to anyone who has ever drawn or animated. Sure, if you're just looking for quick fap material, that's shallow, but it is possible to think critically about what defines attractiveness in an illustrated character. Artists and animators do it constantly—think of all those manga extras where the artist talks about how they developed a charatcer, adjusting hairstyles and faces, picking outfits, so they could get the look that they wanted. And don't DVDs often come with sketch galleries? People put a lot of work into this. Just because it's not "deep" stuff like personality or backstory doesn't make it any less important.

Would you walk up to Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, the character designer for Evangelion, and tell him his work is "shallow"? How would you like (to use an example) Rei Ayanami if she were a musclebound shemale with a cleft chin and facial hairs? That would completely derail her character and destroy what makes her appealing to so many in the first place (even if I don't necessarily agree).

I think there's nothing wrong with appreciating a well-designed character, regardless of personality or what kind of story that character is in. It IS possible to get in-depth with "looks only," looking at aesthetics and artistic style and thinking about what defines modern standards of beauty.

Anime is a visual medium. Characters are part of anime's visual appeal. If you don't want that, go read a novel.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
ElementSun wrote:
I would definitely have to say visually appealing. A girl can have no breasts at all and I would probably still find her quite attractive. What I think are the two most important features of an animated girl are her hair and her eyes. They are the absolute focal point.

Indeed. All that can be made up by other attributes -- like ability to kick ass, intelligence, personality, and other. In essence, it's all a mixture of all these things.

Patachu wrote:
it is possible to think critically about what defines attractiveness in an illustrated character.

And use those same thinking principles when assessing real women. Of course, do not treat the real thing like an anime -- otherwise, expect a slap in the face. Twisted Evil

Having said this -- I hope all of you acknowledge that they're not real. Razz Yes, yes. State of the obvious comment, but it's so easy to forget that little trite fact.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
It is not necessarily "shallow" to appreciate good-looking characters. That's an insult to anyone who has ever drawn or animated. Sure, if you're just looking for quick fap material, that's shallow, but it is possible to think critically about what defines attractiveness in an illustrated character.

This is why I voted. I, myself, draw all the time and love it when my friends would comment on their designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
It is not necessarily "shallow" to appreciate good-looking characters. That's an insult to anyone who has ever drawn or animated. Sure, if you're just looking for quick fap material, that's shallow, but it is possible to think critically about what defines attractiveness in an illustrated character

I agree, I think we can have a good discussion about this.

The reason I bring personality up is that there are some characters that have little to no personality what-so-ever. Or that they don't offer anything else more then just fan service. If I can use Psycho’s example look at Sonsaku Hakufu form Ikki Tousen (this is going by the trailer, but I don’t think it makes much difference). Do I think Sonsaku Hakufu looks attractive? Yes, but she also have about as much brains as a pile of rocks. Now while I like pretty anime females I would like it if the pretty anime females had more to offer the viewers then just how big their breasts are.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Would you walk up to Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, the character designer for Evangelion, and tell him his work is "shallow"?

No, but I wouldn't hesitate telling him that I thought a bunch of guys on the internet debating the hotness of Rei were shallow. And somehow I have a feeling he wouldn't be upset with me.

There's nothing wrong with appreciating well-designed characters. When it's narrowed down specifically to young women, though, how can you possibly be surprised that people are going to balk at the idea? Personally, I find this whole thread pretty distasteful. But whatever, I'm just a woman. My thoughts don't count, right? Just the looks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
There's nothing wrong with appreciating well-designed characters. When it's narrowed down specifically to young women, though, how can you possibly be surprised that people are going to balk at the idea? Personally, I find this whole thread pretty distasteful. But whatever, I'm just a woman. My thoughts don't count, right? Just the looks.

(No, Cloe, I'm not flaming you. Wink) Maybe there should be a thread for male characters? Either way, I'm a girl and I voted because I felt it was a decent enough thread.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
This thread is ridiculous. It ultimately comes down to character design, and who can find the sexiest picture of a character.

I think there are a lot of strong female characters that are worth looking up to, with recent examples being Lia from Chevalier D'Eon, and Shurei from Saiunkoku, but you're not going to find a billion pictures of them seductively taking off their panties, or sucking on a lollipop.

If you were having a "most attractive anime girl" contest that combined personality, brains, and looks, then that's totally valid, but the fact that you're separating their looks and their personalities is kind of misogynistic. You may as well be comparing furniture.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I might as well just go ahead and say that all my posts are worthless as apparently I like to stereotype my own gender.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8