• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin TV Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, 2023 Premiere on Noitamina

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
What gets me is not only do we have Watsuki in this, the character designer is Terumi Nishii who has really gone off the deep end. Oh, and the actual production studio is the same one who did Berserk 2016 with a director whose work is absolutely middling. This thing is gonna be a MESS.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
^Then you also have that they recast everybody, even Kenshin whose original voice actress was last used for Jump Force. Being on Noitamina.would probably screw up it's pacing too.

If it gets dubbed, I imagine that too will be a mess casting-wise.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this gets on a legit streaming site like Crunchyroll. I don't want to have to use dodgy sites and get a virus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Los Nido

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
What gets me is not only do we have Watsuki in this, the character designer is Terumi Nishii who has really gone off the deep end. Oh, and the actual production studio is the same one who did Berserk 2016 with a director whose work is absolutely middling. This thing is gonna be a MESS.

Nishii is a pretty well respected and loved character designer from what I've seen. Her name being attached to this seems great as her work on Diamond is Unbreakable and JJK has been well received. The trailer looks pretty good so I'm not sure what fears you have in terms of visuals.

As for the voices, I'm okay with them being recast. It's been 26 years. It's understandable some of the actors may not be around anymore or in their prime. A fresh new adaption having new voices is perfectly fine with me. Urusei Yatsura is doing the same thing and Fruits Basket also recast everyone. It seems natrual to move on to a new cast after a quarter of a century.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Excoman wrote:
Anime isn't aimed at you who is probably in your 30s now, so whatever you want doesn't really matter.

Kenshin is a manga series that completed its entire serialization in the 1990s. The people who read/watched it now are mostly in their 30s like I am, and they are absolutely the target demographic for this reboot. Current 12-year-olds generally aren't going to care about a series made a few decades before they were born; they have their own new hotness shonen series to consume. Things like this project and the recent Shaman King reboot are meant for the nostalgia market, which as was mentioned just so happens to have the disposable income to spend big on it.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, never thought I'd see the day. It's great that this classic will get the full adaption it deserves.
Excoman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kenshin is a manga series that completed its entire serialization in the 1990s. The people who read/watched it now are mostly in their 30s like I am, and they are absolutely the target demographic for this reboot. Current 12-year-olds generally aren't going to care about a series made a few decades before they were born; they have their own new hotness shonen series to consume. Things like this project and the recent Shaman King reboot are meant for the nostalgia market, which as was mentioned just so happens to have the disposable income to spend big on it.

They won't care about the old anime, sure, but they will for the modern version.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Putting that aside for the moment, I will never ever understand why new projects for franchises that already received a partial adaptation in the past decide to readapt the whole thing, instead of just continuing on with the part that everyone has been waiting for. I mean part of Kenshin was already adapted twice if you count that terrible New Kyoto Arc OVA! Pretty much everybody loved the original anime, so why bother doing a retread of it instead of focusing on the one final arc that's never been fully animated in any form?

Because with how the Jinchuu arc is adapting it by itself would really look shallow not to mention the fact that you’re not making this exclusively for people who remember the original anime but people who obviously didn’t watch it the first time around.
k01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
So many anime series that could have been given a reboot to (where's my Shakugan no Shana anime reboot?!)

The original Shakugan no Shana doesn't need a reboot.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
k01 wrote:
The original Shakugan no Shana doesn't need a reboot.

Season 3 was a trainwreck, and it was the result of skipping a bunch of content earlier in the series that later became quite important. Shakugan no Shana could use a new anime, but I'm not holding my breath.

Like look at Index, I've not watched it yet, but the third season is universally hated as they reportedly tried to cram way too much content just to finish adapting Old Testament. Strike the Blood another Dengeki Bunko series had problems with skipping/compressing a ton of content too despite reaching the end (they outright skipped volumes 7, 8, and most of 10). There isn't interest in doing full proper adaptations of those titles, especially as they were made primarily to boost sales of the source material. The production committees don't want to spend the money to give the adequate amount of space to properly adapt everything to the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
catone2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Nothing indicates this is going to be a mess. Each studio project is a case-by-case basis and your assessment of the staff is honestly perplexing.
catone2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:25 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Season 3 was a trainwreck, and it was the result of skipping a bunch of content earlier in the series that later became quite important. Shakugan no Shana could use a new anime, but I'm not holding my breath.

Like look at Index, I've not watched it yet, but the third season is universally hated as they reportedly tried to cram way too much content just to finish adapting Old Testament. Strike the Blood another Dengeki Bunko series had problems with skipping/compressing a ton of content too despite reaching the end (they outright skipped volumes 7, 8, and most of 10). There isn't interest in doing full proper adaptations of those titles, especially as they were made primarily to boost sales of the source material. The production committees don't want to spend the money to give the adequate amount of space to properly adapt everything to the end.

In Index's case even, the author himself outright said in an interview that the decision to cram 10 volumes into 2 cours was a decision on the production side. Pretty telling.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:17 pm Reply with quote
That trailer looks absolutely beautiful. That said, I don't much see the point of "re-adapting" the manga from the start when this has already been done...a lot. The Kyoto Arc has already been adapted to anime twice, in live action once, and of course there's the original manga; do we really need a fifth version of this story?

Aside from filler, the original anime still holds up remarkably well, better than most shows of its era. Seems like it would make more sense to just adapt the last third of the manga, which has never been animated, than redo the old stuff yet again.

Excoman wrote:
Anime isn't aimed at you who is probably in your 30s now, so whatever you want doesn't really matter.

OF COURSE it's aimed at people in their 30's, and older. The manga itself is almost 30! No one in 2022 is going to adapt a manga from 1994 in hopes of capturing the teenage market. They're doing it for people who grew up with this series. Kenshin is not one of those evergreen franchises like Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon. It's fondly remembered by people who were around during its heyday but its popularity peaked in the mid-90's so any sort of revival is going to be marketed at people who were around at that time.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:29 am Reply with quote
I hated Kaoru’s character and never liked the romance between her and Kenshin, so because of that I was never able to completely get into the story. I would be excited if it was just an adaptation of his past, before Kaoru.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:32 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Also people rally gotta stop acting like proud rebels for saying they don't care if they financially support a pedophile, it's just embarrassing. Confused

See, here's where I start to have a problem. How far does that go? Watsuki is still friends with the creator of One Piece, supporting any Shonen Jump media in any form is financial support to his publisher. In the hypothetical scenario Anime News Network reviews the show that's publicity that will, in turn, benefit both. Etc, etc, etc. If it's some huge moral imperative to act as if Kenshin doesn't exist anymore, then it doesn't stop there.

So it's one thing when people vent their own hangups and disappointments and conflicted feelings about it. It's another to talk or insinuate as if ever caring about Rurouni Kenshin the story somehow says something horrible about you regardless of what was in it.

Whenever the show drops I fully expect there to be a segment of people calling out distributors for even streaming it, most of which will not have had a word to say about genuinely objectionable material. And to a point I understand why, but the irony is incredibly bitter to swallow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12