• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Winter 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Chung Lin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Here's my picks for Winter 2018.
I'll be brief, no details
Best: Violet Evergarden
Runner-Up: Yuru Camp
Dark Horse: Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Worst: Pop Team Epic
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

Just look at the adaptations of shows like Chivalry of a Failed Knight, or Overlord; an inspired adaptation can bring out the best in any kind of story, as long as the creative team cares about the project. No one cared about Death March.

Like you I loved the novels. It is truly sad the animation sucked. Will have to decide on the writing until after I see the last episode.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Just look at the adaptations of shows like Chivalry of a Failed Knight, or Overlord; an inspired adaptation can bring out the best in any kind of story, as long as the creative team cares about the project. No one cared about Death March.

I apologize if I've read your comment wrong,that aside-

Both seasons of Overlord are hardly inspired adaptations.Season 2 in particular has been a straight from the novel adaption,and a mediocre/standard one at that.

An "Inspired"(a very good) adaptation would be Violet Evergarden's reinterpretation of it's light novel.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Merxamers wrote:

Like you I loved the novels. It is truly sad the animation sucked. Will have to decide on the writing until after I see the last episode.

I found the 'Lizard Man Heroes Arc' worked well with 2nd season's emphasis on the New World's characters.
With both parts of the Men in the Kingdom Arc the emphasis on Climb & friends just made it seem like the anime was shoehorning/cramming in everything else from the novel it could.
Not unexpected from a typical LN adaption,and given how story is balanced between Nazarick and New World characters points of views,not much else could have been done.

(or they could have been creative,and told the MitK Arc from Princess Renner's perspective)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Worse: CC because I'm still bitter over that and it's been over 15 years ago.

The first thing I thought when I saw "CC" was "Chrno Crusade is one of the crappiest anime adaptations ever." And then I actually paid attention to your name and avatar and realized that my interpretation was probably on the nose. If so, then fist bump, I gotcha.

Got it! Hahaha!! I know I've been so hard on that show. But after being a fan of Daisuke's Moriyama's work...I just couldn't let that go. Didn't like the house style (Gonzo) and the changes. But if other's like it, which they do I don't fault them for it. Not everyone likes either or" just because they've done "either or"". So I completely understand. But the expectation and headache I got...is something I just don't want to experience again. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
I mean, Pop Team Epic is really weird, but it's not niche. In terms of just viewership, it's one of the biggest popular successes of the season with English-speakers (PTE and Darling in the FRANXX), and it also did really well in Japan. So strictly speaking, it's a hit. The people who don't like it really don't like it (and the same is true with Darling in the FRANXX), but PTE's brand of absurdism is not a cult niche thing, it's a popular success.

Then I guess I'm just in that outlier crowd that really didn't care for it.

Not going to lose any sleep over it, though. Every year there's a couple of cases where my reaction to a title is the polar opposite of the popular reaction, and PTE seems to be one such title for this year.

Nordhmmer wrote:
Both seasons of Overlord are hardly inspired adaptations.Season 2 in particular has been a straight from the novel adaption,and a mediocre/standard one at that.

Based on what you've said in this and other threads, I'm increasingly getting the impression that the second season plays better for those who haven't read the corresponding novels than those who have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
JacobC wrote:
I mean, Pop Team Epic is really weird, but it's not niche. In terms of just viewership, it's one of the biggest popular successes of the season with English-speakers (PTE and Darling in the FRANXX), and it also did really well in Japan. So strictly speaking, it's a hit. The people who don't like it really don't like it (and the same is true with Darling in the FRANXX), but PTE's brand of absurdism is not a cult niche thing, it's a popular success.

Then I guess I'm just in that outlier crowd that really didn't care for it.

Not going to lose any sleep over it, though. Every year there's a couple of cases where my reaction to a title is the polar opposite of the popular reaction, and PTE seems to be one such title for this year.

I mean maybe on this site it was super popular but past the 2nd episode, it was never that popular on Crunchyroll's website. Even right now, it's the same place as YoriMoi, which I wouldn't call extremely popular either (sadly.) I mean there were a lot of people watching PTE, but to call it on of the "biggest popular sucesses" is a vaaaast exaggeration.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

I mean maybe on this site it was super popular but past the 2nd episode, it was never that popular on Crunchyroll's website. Even right now, it's the same place as YoriMoi, which I wouldn't call extremely popular either (sadly.) I mean there were a lot of people watching PTE, but to call it on of the "biggest popular sucesses" is a vaaaast exaggeration.

Well, I'm not factoring ongoing shows like Black Clover or The Ancient Magus' Bride into this equation, I'm narrowing it down specifically to new-cour Winter shows, which are not gonna be as popular overall because the winter season doesn't tend to yield sizable hits in a macro sense to begin with. However, Yorimoi and Pop Team Epic both are some of the most successful of the season (behind Darling in the FRANXX), at least compared to the piles of other options like Grancrest War or Maerchen Maedchen and so on.

Also, Crunchyroll's "popular" tab is a generalization that varies based on day of the week (because it's based on current views of most recent episodes), not a highly accurate ranking of views or engagement, if that's what you were going off of. If you were using the order of their front page listing, that's downright arbitrary at times.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
No mention on the masterpiece of CGDCT genre that is Slow Start? It's perhaps the best CGDCT show since K-On!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Best: a place Further than the Universe

Runner up: Violet Evergarden

I don’t know about worst, but I think the most disappointing (relative to expectations) was Darling in the Franxx. It looks like the writers just got lazy, threw a whole bunch of mecha tropes, sexual references, and fan service into a stew pot, and called it a show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

Based on what you've said in this and other threads, I'm increasingly getting the impression that the second season plays better for those who haven't read the corresponding novels than those who have.

I am current on the english translated novels. I love both seasons. The second season is two separate and distinct arcs, so may be that is where the disconnect is between the first and second seasons.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It's one of em' moeblob, and it got strong yuri vibes too so nope! At least... That's what I think why the show isn't any popular anyway. I really love it myself and that's what matters.

My best for this season is definitely Sora yori mo tooi basho, because I kept crying while watching it during the last few episodes due to being touched by how amazing it is. Then again, I'm quite sentimental.

Starting this season, I no longer gave much interest to the isekai genre (except for a few upcoming shows) and loathed harem to it's core so of course, I don't even want to watch something like Death March, and still frustrated by how cool the title is but it's contents is nonetheless as horrible as Isekai Smartphone. I don't watch things I know I will clearly hate so I can't say I have any worst show this season to talk about but I wouldn't lied that I was thoroughly happy seeing Death March got the horrible reputation it is getting. I mean, a harem of slaves? I'm glad that I quit watching similar things.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Well, I'm not factoring ongoing shows like Black Clover or The Ancient Magus' Bride into this equation, I'm narrowing it down specifically to new-cour Winter shows, which are not gonna be as popular overall because the winter season doesn't tend to yield sizable hits in a macro sense to begin with. However, Yorimoi and Pop Team Epic both are some of the most successful of the season (behind Darling in the FRANXX), at least compared to the piles of other options like Grancrest War or Maerchen Maedchen and so on.
Some people look at the votes for the midseason episodes which is 2200+ for Darling in the FRANXX, 1400+ for Death March, 1000+ for A Place Further Than the Universe, 400+ for Pop Team Epic, and 300+ for Katana Maidens. I think all 5 of the shows are good for their intended audience.
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is hard to choose, but my pick is:
Best of the season: A Place Further than the Universe
Runner-Up: Devilman Crybaby
Worst: Darling in the FraXX.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]
JacobC wrote:

Nordhmmer wrote:

Standard gripes about ln adaptations aside.With it's character cameos,Climb's training regime truncated and a few other things,I feel the 2nd season gave a nod to fans of Overlord's novel & other cannon material.

Just one sample-
The Captain's conversation with Zesshi,this scene builds on several ongoing story lines in the novel.It's shortened appearance in the anime causes misunderstandings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7