• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Co-Produce Anime With Production I.G, Bones, WIT Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
What do you mean by calling AICO Incarnation Voltron 2.0? I'm not sure they have much in common beyond that they are both Netflix Originals.
To be fair it is just an impression based on a trailer but the powersuit designs and the gimmicky back and forth joking between the party members when they are in a life and death situation reminded me of Voltron. They packed a lot of quips into the A.I.C.O. Incarnation trailer and while I do sometimes enjoy comedy action shows the comedy in that trailer was a bit heavy for my taste.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Netflix co-producing anime isn't going to mean the end of all moe fanservice titty shows because Japan still needs those anime to sell figures to otaku to make money off of them. Those shows and anime that has broader appeal can still be made at the same time and indeed both types of shows are already being constantly produced. All this deal means is we'll have a wider variety of anime that appeals to all types of fans and there's more shows from our favorite studios to watch and I for one am very excited about all this. The one thing I worry about is that I hope all of this new anime isn't going to be exclusive to Aniplex USA because I'm not going to be able to afford to buy any of these shows. At least I would be able to watch them on Netflix, but as an anime collector, I do hope t hey would spread these shows out through a multitude of various anime companies.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Anyway, is anyone else looking forward to A.I.C.O - Incarnation like I am? I see B: The Beginning mentioned frequently when people are talking about upcoming Netflix anime, but haven't seen many people talking about this one.

Outside of my constant rants on Netflix, B: The Beginning is something I am looking forward to. Let's hope they don't pull a "Violet Evergarden" and stream the Eng. dub outside of the U.S. first.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And for those worried about disc releases, Netflix seems willing to let other companies do home releases of their stuff.

For shows like Knights of Sidonia, I don't think Netflix actually owned distribution rights, only streaming rights, so home video was never their call.

For their non-anime properties, the only one they actually own that has seen the light of day on disc is Stranger Things, and that's only because it's, well... Stranger Things. Even then, it was just a limited edition set exclusive for Target, and released by Netflix themselves. Shows like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Fuller House, The Crown, Gilmore Girls, 13 Reasons Why, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil are all on disc because they are owned by other companies, and Netflix is just streaming. None of Netflix's original movies like Bright and Death Note are on disc, and neither are their other original shows like Sense8.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
For shows like Knights of Sidonia, I don't think Netflix actually owned distribution rights, only streaming rights, so home video was never their call.

With the exception of Knights of Sidonia & Kuromukuro, Netflix is actually credited on the DVD & Blu-ray sets of those titles here and internationally so they may very well have full rights in these cases (see Ajin, Seven Deadly Sins & Blame) plus they produced each dub and sub are likely the reason why we have the Spanish dubs & subs here on disc (along with French subs for Sidonia).
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:
Does Netflix do physical releases ? My only concern is these shows only being made available online.

Only anime "original" they've released is Seven Deadly Sins and that was handled by Funi so who nows how future releases will be handled.

Sentai also released Knights of Sidonia and Ajin. I imagine Sentai and Funimation will release more Netflix anime in the future.

Viz Media also just recently acquired the Home Video rights to the anime film, BLAME! and PonyCan has Kuromukuro.

So I'm expecting either Funimation, Sentai, Viz and to a lesser Extent Aniplex acquiring the Home Video rights to some of the Netflix anime series.

Kadmos1 wrote:

While we are at it, perhaps NF can help pour some funds into Studipolis, Bang Zoom!, NYAV Post, and New Generation Pictures getting more resources for a higher output. When it comes to the dub output, suppose that each season at 12 get simuldubs. Have at least 6 be Funi-dubbed and the rest go to L.A. The stipulation is that the L.A. dubs meet the requirements of my above quote.

YES!!! I'm all for Netflix sending some of their future anime original to other recording studios in LA. However, it seems that they are stuck into using SDI Media/Spliced Bread or Bang Zoom! to dub the Netflix anime titles.

The only time that Netflix used Studiopolis were for the Glitter Force dubs even though most of the credit belongs to Saban anyways not Netflix, but that is it.

I'm still hopeful that Netflix will use Studiopolis in their future anime originals just like how Crunchyroll did it with Kabaneri and Bungo Stray Dogs this year.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
The only time that Netflix used Studiopolis were for the Glitter Force dubs, but that is it.

Those dubs were actually produced by Saban, who had worked with Studiopolis previously with Digimon, so Netflix had less to do with them other than streaming.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
The only time that Netflix used Studiopolis were for the Glitter Force dubs, but that is it.

Those dubs were actually produced by Saban, who had worked with Studiopolis previously with Digimon, so Netflix had less to do with them other than streaming.

My Mistake!!

Still, I do want Netflix to use Studiopolis in some of their future anime original series even if their "bread and butter" for the majority of the anime shows that are dubbed in LA are either at SDI Media/Spliced Bread or Bang Zoom! :/

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally hoping Netflix would use Ocean in some of their dubs as they've always been one of my favorite dubbing studios, but you rarely see them around anymore. I'm hoping more companies will consider using them if their Kiznaiver dub is well received.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Really, unless a anime is aimed at children, there really isn't that much risk of censorship. Look at Devilman Crybaby or the fact that Netflix had live action shows like AHS. People should be more worry about China when it come to censorship. They actually banned some of the most popular anime coming from Japan and seemed to banned something new every month right now. If China buy out the anime industry, then people should be worry. It interesting when people talk about western companies, they scared about censorship, but act different when it come to Chinese companies.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
Really, unless a anime is aimed at children, there really isn't that much risk of censorship. Look at Devilman Crybaby or the fact that Netflix had live action shows like AHS. People should be more worry about China when it come to censorship. They actually banned some of the most popular anime coming from Japan and seemed to banned something new every month right now. If China buy out the anime industry, then people should be worry. It interesting when people talk about western companies, they scared about censorship, but act different when it come to Chinese companies.

It's because most of the people chatting online in the English speaking world are going to be from western countries who don't see the effects of the Chinese government.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Nacirema wrote:

It's because most of the people chatting online in the English speaking world are going to be from western countries who don't see the effects of the Chinese government.

Yeah, that definitely true. A lot of news about Chinese censorship is getting out though. There a story going on right now about how Darling in the FranXX and Slow Start is banned in China right now. The partnership with Netflix is the best thing that could happen to the anime industry.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
There a story going on right now about how Darling in the FranXX and Slow Start is banned in China right now. The partnership with Netflix is the best thing that could happen to the anime industry.
China is a communist country so no one expects free speech from them and they are almost as puritanical as western feminists. China is an authoritarian country and they can ban whatever they want though I think the western world is going down the same path. There is a growing number of people in the western world who believe that entertainment that offends them should be illegal.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
A lot of news about Chinese censorship is getting out though. There a story going on right now about how Darling in the FranXX and Slow Start is banned in China right now.

Really gotta wonder what possible reasons they could have to ban Slow Start. I've been watching it weekly and can't think of anything remotely offensive even to the most ridiculous people.
It's funny to me that A Centaurs Life was apparently fine, and even funded somewhat by a company that is Chinese, with its pretty biting criticism of the kind of authoritarianism that China espouses, yet something like Slow Start is totally not okay. lol
This is why censorship is stupid, the rules are always arbitrary and inconsistent.
Chinese money is nice for the industry, but I hope no one becomes too dependent on it, as long as their government exists as is. It's good that companies like Netflix don't need to rely on them, and thus things like Devilman, which 100% would be banned in China, are still feasible to make.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
Reading past nearly 5 pages of feedback, discussion, debate, and snide rhetoric, I can come to say these things:

To those who fear that Netflix's foray into anime is bad, and to those who believe that this is good, I say have no expectations. As their track record has shown, they have pushed out a majority of good content. It might not be what I'm looking for, but hey, beggars can't be chosers and if you want it so bad, make it happen yourself.

There is much to speculate, but have no fear, and have a bit of expectation to leave to the wind. My say is that they best not #&$* up and make new Neo Yokios in the future. I have my own complaints but they're on another level to where that they're good as irrelevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8