• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass Gets New Project & Anime Compilation Film Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Actually upon further deliberation I wholeheartedly welcome this series, there are a few things that were left unfinished and a couple of people that need to die. Those people being Ohgi, Violetta and Nina. I find it completely freaking weird Jeremiah didn't kill Ohgi for his betrayal.

ha I totally forgot that. My memory's a bit hazy given how long ago it was but did we see spoiler[Orange-kun immediately leave the black knights and join Lelouch's new army after Rolo saved him from essentially a coup d'etat? Or was it just sorta implied offscreen that he left the same time they ousted 'zero']

That said you're right I was(and still am) incredibly angry about the incredibly stupid way Ohgi acted(over dubious evidence brought by your enemy, YOUR FREAKING ENEMY). Orange-kun shoulda a killed him and buried him in his orchid farm as fertilizer for his trees.

Viletta annoyed me but hey she sorta had a legit reason to act the way she did when she wasn't ya know kissing up to Ohgi.

Nina... I don't even know where to start with that thing... er child. I mean Einstein's work was responsible for the atomic bomb but he sure as hell didn't intend to make a weapon of mass destruction. Nina may have fallen into that category at the end of R1(i think she was making a power source?) but by R2 she made a spoiler[weapon of mass destruction with the intention of being a freaking WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION. Eh throw her in jail? If orange has taught me anything she'll at least be able to fully explore her sexual attraction to women and be safely away from nuclear materials or sakuradite or something was theirs.]
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
This sounds pretty bad. Nothing worse than a retcon. Plus Lelouch is terrible.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Well at the very least I'm curious to see where they go with this, there have been people who have complained for years about how R2 was supposedly a trainwreck even though that's far from the truth and I think those people are exaggerating, so lets see if they can correct the ''mistakes'' from the past. I also believe the new series is a sequel to the compilation movies rather than the actual tv series similar to third Madoka movie.

I'm also curious how there gonna handle the dub cast when Funimation licenses it. If they do it in-house ,theres no doubt they'll get Johnny Yong Bosch back ,but I'm not sure about the others. Maybe at the very least they'll get Yuri Lowenthall, Kate Higgins & Karen Strassman back as well.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Sigh... why are you doing this, Sunrise? You don't HAVE to milk Code Geass anymore! Gundam The Origin is genuinely amazing!
Velius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, yea it's been a while, but I did really enjoy watching Code Geass when it was on. I'm glad there is going to be more to this universe, I hope this all will eventually lead to a new anime season.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
I'm also curious how there gonna handle the dub cast when Funimation licenses it. If they do it in-house ,theres no doubt they'll get Johnny Yong Bosch back ,but I'm not sure about the others. Maybe at the very least they'll get Yuri Lowenthall, Kate Higgins & Karen Strassman back as well.

Those two are the big question, especially Kate Higgins because if it's fully in-house then no doubt she'll be replaced just like with their Hyperdimension Neptunia dub.
Kreion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
spoiler[The ending of R2 also never confirmed Lelouch´s death and technically suggested the opposite, multiple times.]

That scene could be him in the afterlife as there are official articles confirming his spoiler[death], per the series writer. However, that statement could be trumped if Taniguchi said otherwise.

Well, afaik this has actually been debated a lot. First it's a translation so you'd have to find the original source of the writer (if the series had only one writer or the lead writer). I've only heard of the one interview and even that seems to vary from 'he wanted an open ending' to 'he wanted him dead' depending on who is using it as evidence. I'm not denying what you are saying, just that I've heard a thousand different variations on that, plus things like the person who said that didn't enjoy working on Code Geass in the first place so...who knows.

Personally, I never like to take the 'word of god' as truth when talking about a narrative, if you have something to tell me then do so in the source material or I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt. In the case of R2 I didn't see how you would be able to destroy something which grants immortality so the passing on seemed more likely.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting some serious Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki season 3 vibes from this project. Abort!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
The ending to the original story wrapped things up so perfectly, I really don't see any creative reason to bring this franchise back. Plenty of financial reasons, though.
KMills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
ryoukosan245 wrote:

Those two are the big question, especially Kate Higgins because if it's fully in-house then no doubt she'll be replaced just like with their Hyperdimension Neptunia dub.

Code Geass is an entirely different animal and I'm sure FUNi is aware of the backlash they would get if they recast. I really don't see them going that route with this show... They've had JYB, Crispin Freeman, David Vincent, Seitz, Mary Elizabeth etc. The primary actors I'm worried about not returning are the actors they just can't do anything about. The big one is Troy Baker. He was excellent as Schneizel, but the man flat out told myself and a few others i was with that he intentionally made the move away from anime a few years back. The others are Kirk Thornton, who runs a studio now and would likely be too busy, and Steve Blum, who I just can't see recording for FUNi.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The ending to the original story wrapped things up so perfectly, I really don't see any creative reason to bring this franchise back. Plenty of financial reasons, though.

In this world, anime properties do not get to exist and continue based on creativity alone.

I'll easily agree that the ending itself was perfect as a wrap up, but it's far too early to make any conclusive comments about this upcoming sequel. It does represent a change to the original story, by introducing an extension, but they could decide to take this new chapter in an interesting direction. It's hard, on paper, yet far from impossible. They have had years to think about how to continue the story. There were a few loose ends that weren't really addressed either. If they manage to answer at least a couple of those, intriguing stuff could result.

It's important to consider they waited for almost ten (10) years in order to reveal this idea. rather than rushing to make a sequel when the show was still "hot" back in 2008/2009. That's too much time to believe that exclusively financial considerations were at stake, though they are obviously involved in the process too. After all, the industry needs financial successes in order to survive and expand as well as pay the bills of the staff.

If it comes out and there is absolutely nothing interesting about this project, I'll be the first to condemn it. Otherwise, I think it's fair to at least give them an opportunity to reveal their plans in due time.

That said, I suppose those who either actively hate Code Geass or just don't care for it will obviously keep that same attitude regardless of whatever they come up with. Nothing will change their minds, but I hope that the fans will give it a chance.

louis6578 wrote:
I'm getting some serious Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki season 3 vibes from this project. Abort!

I don't see any significant similarity between the properties or projects at this point.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
I personally don't like the idea of them hand-waving the end of R2 away. They better find a way to work around it.

spoiler[Perhaps this new story won't focus on world domination, but the Geass origin story. So that Lelouch vi Britannia, 99th Emperor of Britannia, in fact stays 'dead' to the world.]

Somebody probably pointed this out, but you don't seem to be aware there have always been two interpretations of the ending of R2: one where he lived and one where he died. The interpretation that he lives is basically that he killed the emperor by stealing his code thus he became R.R. and getting stabbed does nothing. You can google it to find people point to quite a bit of things that happened in the anime which suggest this was what happened.

I personally liked that the ending of R2 was rather ambiguous about him living or not, but oh well.
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
so the first part of this is a re-cap and then a sequel?
destroyer093

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty awesome how I just finished watching Code Geass for the first time last week and now this huge announcement is made. I for one am hyped up to see what will unfold in this new story. The one thing that I'm curious about the most is how he will be resurrected. I'm under the presumption that the title is literal. I have seen this theory where Lelouch obtains Charles Code that had been inherited by "God" in C's World due to being in debt. If that were to happen I would be quite satisfied with the way he's brought back. By the PV it definitely seems like Lelouch & CC are staying in the shadows possibly going to take care of Geass business wherever they're traveling to.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm hyped. :'D

Never really thought Lelouch was dead to begin with....Anime hyper

Quote:

Oh come ON, man! I know you have trauma but not every sequel is going to be Ryo-Ohki 3..... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7