• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Keijo Won the Gold in Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
@Lord Oink I don't think it is asking too much to want better fanservice, in terms of presentation of the characters and how it interacts with the other story elements. Shows like this and Monster Musume show this can be done. I don't think an "accept it or you're in the wrong place" attitude is productive towards expanding the community and bringing the different segments of the community together.

The point on Keijo being straight forward and honest with the fanservice is that many such shows aren't. The fanservice isn't as integral in many such shows. Like I said earlier, the fanservice and plot can often seem tacked on to each other. They act like they are about their serious plot but often seem more like vehicles for showing the girls in a state of undress or very tight clothing that may as well be equivalent. Not that there isn't a place for that, but that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

On the voyeurism question, while you can find a shot or two that might qualify, generally the presentation is not so.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Valhern wrote:
People would turn around to see anything with the visual presentation of Keijo without the need of it being real (except, lingerie ads exist), but what makes Keijo different above everything else is that it isn't presumptuous in that way, from its setting to its official merchandising, it won't lie to you and say that this is a grand epic story, it goes to the basic core of what it makes it popular, it isn't hypocritic on why it makes itself popular and gives it a fun twist to it.

How is a show lying or hypocritical if it has plot and fanservice? How does Keijo merchandise not lie compared to other fanservice merchandise? How does a show or merchandise lie to begin with? The whole argument of Keijo being honest or self-aware makes no sense, let alone acting like Keijo has no plot to begin with. It may not be an epic saving the world plot line but it's still a plot line like any other sports show of being the best.

Most of the run-of-the-mill fanservice shows build a foundation to make it believable that one guy in the whole universe manages to get the attention of five (or more, however long the series runs) of the hottest girls to be found, and most of the sexual innuendos come from the series making it as hard as possible for me to care for each and every realtionship, while the male character is bland enough for everybody to project on, and him commiting to none of the possible relationships. They will usually have long-winded backgrounds, magic systems and the like, but with basically no other purpose than give a setting for T&A.

However, in Keijo, the setting IS that same fanservice, and it makes its own selling point fun, there is no guy for us to project on (in the manga there is one very secondary guy that acts as love interest of sorts, but largely irrelevant), it's the most honest way to show fanservice, it doesn't need to do anything complicated (the plot of most sport anime is rather easy) and only has to concentrate on making it fun, and build on its characters.

This is especially so because Keijo is a fictional sport, it's not like Ro-Kyu-Bu, which just added moe fanservice without care for the sport at all, and in the case of Keijo, it was made so the sport would let the author run wild with whatever weird way of showing fanservice he could thought upon.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Definitely not your usual fanservice. Its more like you focus on their action and not their body part. I love how Nozomi act like. She like a genderswap of typical shonen male protagonist.

I'm not surprised, considering the source manga is serialized in the Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine.

On the flip side of Keijo where you get female cast=shounen sensibilities, I've heard of some shoujo titles which have a primarily male cast, but their personalities are more attuned towards shoujo sensibilities.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
Well,I'm glad to see that none of my predictions about "Keijo" came true. No outraged demonstrations from the Gloria Steinem set at Funimation. No pseudonyms from the women who did this out of fear of embarrassment for doing a show like this. Nothing like I predicted earlier came to pass,thank goodness. This seems like this would comfortably fit on Adult Swim's Toonami block or on Comedy Central,if they ever got an anime block. There are those who might compare this to the 1980's movie "Hardbodies,"which I saw a promo for once or one of those comedies like "Sweet Liberty" or many of the other movies I saw when they were in VHS boxes when video stores were still around.
The way I read it,"Keijo!!!!!!!!" seems to be a parody of sports anime or shounen anime. One of it's biggest and obvious selling points of this show are the girls. They are definitely pretty (and the parts that they use in this sport are also that,as well). Some of the stuff that they do on this show might make me a little uncomfortable watching it,but it seems that the people who did it actually took their time and built a story around it and they also did it in such a way as to try to not make the subject matter somewhat easier to get into for those who might not be comfortable watching something like this.

All in all,I might give "Keijo!!!!!!" a try if I ever get a chance to see it. I hope that there's a second season to this,like they might do an international competition of this and they bring in Keijo players from all over the world who will compete in a tournament or one of the main characters moves to America to spread Keijo outside of Japan. I'd like that. While "Keijo!!!!!!!" could be considered the "Free!" for the male set,it also sounds like a fanservice show I could watch without a lot of discomfort. I just hope that'll be the case when I first see it.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
One thing that isn't mentioned, is how all the humor and fan-service never talks down to it's audience. Similarly how it never pushes a voyeuristic view, it never belittle fan-service shows or sports shows. The formula for both are intact and treated as integral to the shows story and characters, rather then something to be ashamed of or ridiculed.

it never pretends to be more then what it is, true, but it also never pretends to be less either, nor make any assumptions of it's viewers (other then maybe having a preference for the rear view).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
The way I read it,"Keijo!!!!!!!!" seems to be a parody of sports anime or shounen anime.

It's not. Please, stop rationalizing acceptance with this "it's a parody" argument. Keijo is not a parody. It is an all-female main cast sports anime with the same goofy, over-the-top, and exaggerated moves that has been around since at least Prince of Tennis, if not even before then. Hell, look at this season's Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume. It's the same formula. Look at previous sports anime like Saki and it has the same all-female main cast and over-the-top/exaggerated moves. Hell, even Girls und Panzer, especially the movie, has a very similar formula..

These sorts of shows are fun, silly, with a good helping of some level of fanservice. That's exactly what Keijo is. Just accept that. Not everything enjoyable is a parody or a deconstruction. Sometimes it's just something that would otherwise seem trite, but manages to be enjoyable because it's executed well.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
the same goofy, over-the-top, and exaggerated moves that has been around since at least Prince of Tennis, if not even before then.

More like "wayyyyyyyy before then", as the over-the-top & exaggerated sports concept has been around since the 70s with titles like Team Astro & Ring ni Kakero (the latter of which has even been named "The Hot-Blooded Fighting Manga Bible", i.e. nearly everything we associate with shonen action got its [modern day] start there).

Quote:
These sorts of shows are fun, silly, with a good helping of some level of fanservice. That's exactly what Keijo is. Just accept that. Not everything enjoyable is a parody or a deconstruction. Sometimes it's just something that would otherwise seem trite, but manages to be enjoyable because it's executed well.

Exactly. I can never get the reasoning people use when they try to explain away an over-the-top execution as "it's parody". Are they simply embarrassed to admit that they legitimately like it, or are they just incapable of accepting that people (especially the Japanese) honestly like this kind of execution? Quite honestly, most of the sports series, in particular, that went on to influence & inspire people who would become major names in sports were in fact over-the-top titles (Captain Tsubasa, Kinnikuman, Ring ni Kakero, Prince of Tennis, etc.).
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:
Oh hey I found the average Keijo fan...

Down with this sort of thing!

Oh go'wan, go'wan, go'wan, go'wan, wont you have a Keijo...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they are doing "butts" instead of boobs. Reminds me of the woman who could break chopsticks with her butt. But is this more over the top than 'QB'?

What more can you expect?
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
the same goofy, over-the-top, and exaggerated moves that has been around since at least Prince of Tennis, if not even before then.

More like "wayyyyyyyy before then", as the over-the-top & exaggerated sports concept has been around since the 70s with titles like Team Astro & Ring ni Kakero (the latter of which has even been named "The Hot-Blooded Fighting Manga Bible", i.e. nearly everything we associate with shonen action got its [modern day] start there).

Quote:

Exactly. I can never get the reasoning people use when they try to explain away an over-the-top execution as "it's parody". Are they simply embarrassed to admit that they legitimately like it, or are they just incapable of accepting that people (especially the Japanese) honestly like this kind of execution? Quite honestly, most of the sports series, in particular, that went on to influence & inspire people who would become major names in sports were in fact over-the-top titles (Captain Tsubasa, Kinnikuman, Ring ni Kakero, Prince of Tennis, etc.).

Oh come on. They took the sports genre and made a series that revolves around butts. It's so exaggerated that saying it's anything butt a parody is ridiculous.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And while you may take the edgy "I don't care what they think" route, keep in mind that what you consume and how you present yourself definitely affects other people's perceptions of you, in ways that can in turn affect you. Try walking up to a random female acquaintance of yours and saying with a smile, "I like watching Japanese cartoons with high school girls getting their boobs groped!" I'm sure they'll be proud of you.

Maybe your circle of friends is different, but I only hang out with people who are into anime, and most of the girls have zero issues with pervy stuff and actually partake in it themselves, like buying second-hand BL doujinshi. It's not 'being edgy', it's called being an adult.

zrnzle500 wrote:
The point on Keijo being straight forward and honest with the fanservice is that many such shows aren't. The fanservice isn't as integral in many such shows. Like I said earlier, the fanservice and plot can often seem tacked on to each other. They act like they are about their serious plot but often seem more like vehicles for showing the girls in a state of undress or very tight clothing that may as well be equivalent. Not that there isn't a place for that, but that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

That doesn't make a show dishonest, it just means the viewer has their own personal hang-ups. Plenty of people can and do enjoy plot and fanservice together without being a jaded cynics who view stories or character backgrounds as worthless. If someone can't, it's on them. Ironically it sounds like people want little more than girls jumping up and down in front of the camera, and trying to do more is unwelcom.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
I think people can be forgiven for being taken aback at first glance.
Like when Adult Swim made a card explaining Keijo before BEGGING people to watch Toonami instead and "save anime".
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
@LordOink I fail to see how buying BL doujinshi indicates an openness to boob groping in anime. Sure they have their own fanservice but that was not the point of Top Gun's comment.

And you have missed my previous point entirely. My point was that they too often are barely trying to do more than have a girl bounce up and down. The execution of how the fanservice elements and plot elements work together is frequently poor in fanservicey titles. Well the execution is too often poor in general. The plot often comes off as mere pretense for fanservice and often is just rote and exposition and technobabble heavy. Fanservice shows can do better, and that is what we want.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Oh come on. They took the sports genre and made a series that revolves around butts. It's so exaggerated that saying it's anything butt a parody is ridiculous.

As opposed to Mecha basketball, childrens card games (ON MOTORCYKLES) or gunpla battles?

Anime in general, and shounen in particular, is about taking a part of Japanese culture and exaggerate it. If following that makes Keijoh(!x8) a parody, then so is Game of thrones of medieval politics.

Quote:
I think people can be forgiven for being taken aback at first glance.

I don't think anyone bemoans people raising an eyebrow at the premise. It's the insistence that the premise somehow invalidates what good qualities people find in the execution. "It's about TnA! Hence, framing, character writing & themes all of a sudden stop mattering!" That's the kind of attitude that can get ones swimsuit in twist.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Careful. Too much of this would give the wrong message that all girls are loose and slutty. I still embrace anime's penchant for glorifying prim, pure and proper women who has yet to be tainted by the "realities" of sexuality.

...have you ever so much as talked to an actual female? Dear lord.

What defines as an actual female to you, Mr. fanservice hater? I'll be sure never to associate with those types.

And lol @ assuming all women are all grossed out by female fanservice. Now who's simplifying and generalizing now? Face it. You're just here to lord over those who like these sort of thing. Ego stroking is so hard to let go. I know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7