• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I found this comment from Paul's review of episode 6 a little odd:

Quote:
The sale of the special items also seems kind of gimmicky at the moment, since its only apparent purpose is to test which girls are willing to shorten their lifespans in order to win the game. The items may prove to be significant later on, but they mostly serve as a temporary distraction.

I was wondering if it's not what they think. When asked what the numbers where they said lifespan.... I can check again but i didn't hear "years". If it's days, things will get interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
My understanding is the number represents the number of years that get shaved off their lifespans. That's why SwimSwim's decision to "buy" an item with the number 25 was so significant.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My understanding is the number represents the number of years that get shaved off their lifespans. That's why SwimSwim's decision to "buy" an item with the number 25 was so significant.

You know I think F.av's exact wording was "lifespan", although all the girls are saying "years". "Years" would be the obvious "raise the stakes" dramatic twist, although I WOULD laugh if F.av was trolling and in fact meant minutes or seconds, while the girls interpreted it to mean years.

It could also be a translation omission/error.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
But I don't understand how "lifespan" works in this context. I understand how buying a Cloak of Invisibility takes 25 years off your lifespan, but what does the number 25 mean if it does not refer to years taken off?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But I don't understand how "lifespan" works in this context. I understand how buying a Cloak of Invisibility takes 25 years off your lifespan, but what does the number 25 mean if it does not refer to years taken off?

Percent of the total?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, but I doubt it.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
TIL I'm goddamn blind. I've been calling Swim Swim the wrong name for weeks, I thought she was called Swift Swim...like the Pokemon ability...It's even worse since so far she's easily my favorite character and I never noticed.

More of a transitive episode this week, but it certainly had it's moments that still made it pretty fun, namely that amazing segment between Calamity Mary and Hardgore Alice. Did great for expressing both characters personalities and was bloody hilarious to boot.

Looking forward to next week for sure since it's more SWIM swim and her interacting with Sister Nana, which basically means my favorite two characters are probably gonna kill each other! Not sure whether to be sad about that...
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Watching Hardgore Alice fight reminds me a lot of Alucard. There's just something fun about characters who don't die when they're killed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
weird that the review did not mention the random backstory/death flag becasue we currently don't really know who it is, while it was set upa s if it was calamiry mary, it could have been hardcore alice's as well or anybody else for that matter (maybe fly fly's ?).
Assassin Eclipse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
weird that the review did not mention the random backstory/death flag becasue we currently don't really know who it is, while it was set upa s if it was calamiry mary, it could have been hardcore alice's as well or anybody else for that matter (maybe fly fly's ?).

I'm willing to bet that backstory belongs to Ripple
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Assassin Eclipse wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

I'm willing to bet that backstory belongs to Ripple

Yeah, the "tsk" pretty much gave her away.

So is Hardgore Alice just (quasi-)immortal or actually undead? The latter would open up all kinds of new possibilities at the very least...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Character design and personality were a dead giveaway that it's Ripple.

Which makes me wonder why she hasn't died yet. I mean, doesn't this show kill off every character as soon as they have a backstory? Rolling Eyes

In any case, it certainly makes Ripple a more understandable character, if not exactly more sympathetic. She could lose the verbal tic though, that's just annoying.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Character design and personality were a dead giveaway that it's Ripple.

Which makes me wonder why she hasn't died yet. I mean, doesn't this show kill off every character as soon as they have a backstory? Rolling Eyes

In any case, it certainly makes Ripple a more understandable character, if not exactly more sympathetic. She could lose the verbal tic though, that's just annoying.

I don't think it's Ripple's time yet. From what I remember the PV's and opening showed her and Snow White in almost some of the same shots, usually that indicates there is some connection between. There was even that scene a few episodes ago when they on passing trains. I could always be wrong, but I feel like those two are probably going to be working together in the future. Most likely when/if spoiler[Top Speed] dies. She seems like the next one on the chopping block to me since she is the one somewhat pushing for Ripple to meet with Calamity Mary. spoiler[Every time she mentions that she has to live for just six more months her death flag grows bigger. I'm expecting her to die protecting Ripple or something.]

Also expecting Nana to go crazy at some point. It's usually the characters associated with religious imagery that go bonkers in these type of shows.

Hardgore Alice intrigues me though. Her obsession with Snow White is equal parts creepy and interesting. Wonder what her backstory is. I'm guessing it will be like Swim Swim's and that she was obsessed with fairy tales, or she was someone that Snow White might have helped before.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
I don't think Ripple will go just yet and actually might be one of the survivors. This is the sort of character that survives, one that has had a uniformly crappy life but hasn't become morally compromised or self sacrificing. Having someone like that meet a terrible end is just pointlessly cruel. Hard to say if anyone else will at this point. I don't really see them changing things up with their backstory=death formula as a bad or eyeroll worthy thing.

It seems to me that the only way to kill Alice would be for her to get the least amount of candies, cutting off the source of her regeneration magic, given how persistent it has been. Though since she has shown no hesitance to kill and will likely get plenty of opportunities to do so, that won't be a problem until the end maybe, given how deaths eliminate the need for someone to be eliminated due to getting the least candies. Unless her weakness is light or some other undead weakness.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I still think Hardcore Alice is a RL friend of Snow White or someone that Snow White helped in the past. It's just that SW can't get past how creepy Alice is, and maybe Alice doesn't want her to for some reason.

I'm guessing Swim Swim's group is going to take someone out next episode, though they might lose someone in the process. As for "not fair"... I think they'll try to figure out who Nana and Winterprison are in RL and attack them then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 17