• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Perfect Insider

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I knew Nick would give it that low score, and I don't blame him. The show is way over the top and ridiculous. But it stays within its ridiculous standards. That's why I've liked the show all along the season, so to me this episode was OK. I did laugh a lot at all the plot twists of this last episode, especially during the explanation of "Subete ga F" and the OS functions, because I didn't understand shit about it. Very Happy

Anyway, I think I give it a score of 3 stars. The show hasn't been outstanding nor plain stupid (well, sorta). Let's see how this wraps up, but I think my final score will be a good or very good,and it will probably tie with The Asterisk War at the 5th position of my personal TOP 5.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the mystery is pretty rubbish, it rest on tons of coincidence (Magata was pregnant with a daughter who just happen to look exactly like she did at 15, nobody ever bother looking up if Shiki actually had a daughter), some ridiculous stuff (She was able to raise a child completely alone without anyone noticing, she wasn't sent to mental institute, they let her build the computer than was responsible for keeping the door close, nobody amongst the student notice Magata getting on the boat) and some massive plot hole (How was she using a terminal if the only one that exist are on the island). And I'm probably missing so many.

But ultimately what drew me was really the visual and on that front it never really disappointed me. I'm a bit disappointed that the show initially didn't seem to buy any of the pseudo philosophical stuff, but at the end it seems to be completely into it, but no big deal.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
The show is way over the top and ridiculous. But it stays within its ridiculous standards.

Yes, the mystery has always been campy and sort of sensationalist, but it's stayed true to its own standards. It didn't suddenly get over-the-top silly in this episode and the twists were completely in line with what we've grown to expect from the story.

And again, arguably the mystery was just a vehicle to allow the characters to shine and to have their own drama.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
nobody amongst the students notice Magata getting on the boat.

She wasn't posing as a student, as explained, she was posing as Magata Miki- the younger sister, who had free reign to leave on the boat.

The problem of that explanation is the staging of Miki getting off the helicopter vs. the meeting of her and the Director depicted in this episode.

I guess the timing is what's off. What we saw when "miki" and Shindo "arrived" was him in his pilot chair with the turbine running and him barely moving, giving thumbs up responses and barely turning his head in response.

The reality is that he hadn't just arrived, we know Magata was moving up in the elevator when the body came out of the room, so she was on the roof quite early. Apparently what we're missing is that he came earlier too. They met, she stabbed him, and while he was still alive they got back on the helicopter, restarted the engine and staged the "arrival" of Miki. Director Shindo was doing that whole act with a knife in his neck as he was bleeding out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I agree that the mystery is pretty rubbish, it rest on tons of coincidence (Magata was pregnant with a daughter who just happen to look exactly like she did at 15...

She only started planning her escape 7 years later or so, nothing wrong on that (She raised her in the way she wanted and her daughter couldn't possibly say otherwhise... At least until she met another person much more human than our genius doctor, that it's probably only called genius in the mathematical sense).

meiam wrote:
nobody ever bother looking up if Shiki actually had a daughter),

To be fair, everybody in there was just as cold as her, and didn't care about anything othet than themselves (loving the way they live isolated in the island, as mentioned earlier), so, since nobody really had anything to do with Magata other than work-related stuff, it kinda make sense that they wouldn't even bother about her well being (look at how much they cared about her "death", seriously).

meiam wrote:
some ridiculous stuff (She was able to raise a child completely alone without anyone noticing, she wasn't sent to mental institute, they let her build the computer than was responsible for keeping the door close, nobody amongst the student notice Magata getting on the boat)

1- While it's not impossible, I also found that rather uncommon for a 15-16 years old girl to deal with all that alone, but we all know she has an accomplice (the uncle), so...
2- Japan and the ways they deal with famous people's scandals can actually explain this part (home-prison continuing their duties in benefice to the overall advance of technologic researches, since they can't or don't want to lose a genius mind for having her spend part of her life (or worse, the entirety of it, knowing just how odd her behaviour is in any circumstances she dealt with in life).
3- It was basically her lab, and she could do anything in there (she was the one responsible for the whole system building).
4- I know someone there who did, and she presented this piece of evidence at the end of this episode (the rest will be hopefully explained in the last one, chinese girl involved or not).

meiam wrote:
and some massive plot hole (How was she using a terminal if the only one that exist are on the island). And I'm probably missing so many.

We still have one more episode to go, and we don't even know if she really is outside the island yet (and we also have the possibility of her uncle doing some shit in the background), so, before calling out a plot-hole, I'm waiting for the last episode to come. Other than that, I don't think you missed anything really. Shit was pretty solid, even if kinda over-the-top.

meiam wrote:
But ultimately what drew me was really the visual and on that front it never really disappointed me. I'm a bit disappointed that the show initially didn't seem to buy any of the pseudo philosophical stuff, but at the end it seems to be completely into it, but no big deal.

Nah, this is just weird people interacting with each other with a serious case of twisted logic about what they think about their own life. They said what they thought about it, it doesn't mean they are correct. A character (or many) being pretentious while expressing themselves =/= the story itself being pretentious (as a mystery, they followed pretty much the whole Van Dine protocol so far, as I noticed at least). The plot is there, but you can hate on the characters all you want (I also disliked them anyway).

Last edited by danpmss on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
I don't know man it was pretty good. 10/10.
oFFoy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know as well, i really liked this episode and the series overall.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Creamer and everyone else: The ''Fithteen'' logic makes more sense than you'd think. Think: Age 15 is the beginning of demographic adulthood (15-64) as well as the end of middle school and beginning of high school. All those not studying, training, working, or aren't stay-at-home mothers, are considered from that age onwards Not Envolved in Employment, Education or Training. This to say: Youth starts to die off from there.

As for murdering parents and reverting to 14... I don't know.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Mr. Creamer and everyone else: The ''Fithteen'' logic makes more sense than you'd think. Think: Age 15 is the beginning of demographic adulthood (15-64) as well as the end of middle school and beginning of high school. All those not studying, training, working, or aren't stay-at-home mothers, are considered from that age onwards Not Envolved in Employment, Education or Training. This to say: Youth starts to die off from there.

The ultimate freedom thing must have something to do with this, I guess.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:

The ultimate freedom thing must have something to do with this, I guess.

Now there you go. There's a possibility. I mean, it's not rare to associate parents to restriction and order against absolute freedom. In some minds, youth and absolute freedom are the same.

Also, there are indeed people in real-life who think like Saikawa and Magata, and I do feel the show has a neutral portrayal on them.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

I think that last was just a misunderstanding of the translation. Someone else in the comments had it right, that when you turned 14 you enter your 15th year, which is when you murder your parents. (Like when you turn 1 you are entering your second year.)
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:

I think that last was just a misunderstanding of the translation. Someone else in the comments had it right, that when you turned 14 you enter your 15th year, which is when you murder your parents. (Like when you turn 1 you are entering your second year.)

Ah, because the first year of life is year 0. I see. Oh Japanese, you can be so complicated sometimes.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to like Perfect Insider, & I don't think I've watched a show try so hard to make me dislike it as this one did.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I agree with the reviewer on this one.

First, I don't think the essential purpose of this anime is to create some incredible formal exemplar of the mystery genre. Instead, I think in this case the "mystery" is just a tool; the formal conventions of mystery are here a mechanism to explore character and to explore philosophical questions (and not as isolated threads but in combination together). Whatever needs to be disclosed in this anime, it is only secondarily the mystery of the "death" of Magata Shiki.

Second, and as a related point, it's probably acceptable to say that the show is "built around" Magata Shiki, but not if you mean that the discovery/disclosure/resolution of her mystery is the purpose of the show. In fact, it's not clear to me at all that Magata Shiki is even the central character in the show, or that the "problem" of Magata Shiki (what needs to be explored and solved regarding her) is the central gravitational pull of the narrative. Moe and Souhei -- their relationship, their history, Moe's loss -- are strong elements in the narrative. I'll need to rewatch the show again, but it could as easily be said that they are what the whole show is built around, and that Magata Shiki's mystery is what is used to explore them. Or it could be something else. I haven't settled that point in my mind just yet.

Third, I'm not willing at all to conclude that the philosophical ruminations of the show are "solipsistic and empty," or that what Magata Shiki expresses in this regard is "nonsense." I think the show bears another good, honest, solid viewing before I'm willing to draw any conclusion as to its merit on this point.

Finally, it's clear that the reviewer had strong expectations coming into this series. Strong expectations about the purpose of a mystery, how it should be used; about where the characters should all be at the end of the narrative (what is right and proper about their development and the resolution of their stories individually and collectively); about the appropriate character of philosophical expression. I don't think you can force a show like this into a set of hard and fast preconceived expectations. It's prescriptive and it's not fair to the show at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but i completely disagree with this review. I think The Perfect Insider is actually one of, if not the best series of this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8