• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Discs of Steel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Mami set 4 made its goal a little while ago.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Mami set 4 made its goal a little while ago.

I was really happy to see that! Anime hyper

It's awesome that less than 240 people can get a series released.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hurray! That's good news for fans of every Pierrot magical girl title. Now bring on Tokyo Mew Mew and Sugar Sugar Rune!

I feel kind of bad about not liking Mami, since I'm a magical girl uber-fan. I think seeing Fancy Lala first spoiled me.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Hurray! That's good news for fans of every Pierrot magical girl title. Now bring on Tokyo Mew Mew and Sugar Sugar Rune!

I keep hearing things about Minky Momo so personally I'd rather get a chance to see that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel: Minky Momo's a different company.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Also, with the exception of visual novels, I honestly can't think of many anime adaptations recently that have been from games, usually that's more LNs, manga, and the like. What are some recent ones you had in mind?

Recent video game adaptations from the past year-ish:
Neptunia
Devil Survivor 2
Senran Kagura
Zettai Boeui Leviathan
BlazBlue

While not TV, there are also the Persona 3 movies

And next season we're getting Atelier Escha & Logy. I probably missed a few.

That's specifically ignoring visual novels, which have dropped a lot in recent years, at least the kind aimed at male otaku.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I keep hearing things about Minky Momo so personally I'd rather get a chance to see that.

Momo isn't a Pierrot show. It's Ashi Pro (now Production Reed.)
Chii85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
On the third question I read on Sentai Filmworks Facebook page that apparently the English track takes up a lot of space and therefore if it's a sub only title there is more than enough space to put all the episodes and special features on one disc. This is ridiculous its failure to launch from the start and the need to know that. Can they even out the number of episodes and the special features to the DVD format. And why they are switching to a three disc DVD format? Is it to avoid degeneration of quality?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Momo isn't a Pierrot show. It's Ashi Pro (now Production Reed.)

Nuts. I got confused by that Minky Momo/Creamy Mami thing.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
A good example or lesson on geo restrictions due to licensing is the Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter:

Mai Mai Miracle had some backers from Japan. They didn't know this until after it was funded and after they had gotten shipping information from backers. That resulted in a big apologetic post in English and Japanese for the Japanese backers explaining how they could not send the blu-rays to Japan.

There are also some considerations on Kickstarter:
- they take 5% plus an additional 3% from Amazon payments
- limited types of projects allowed and they must approve all projects first (not a problem for animesols titles, but can be for some)
- creators must have a presence in one of the Anglo countries
- English only

The last 3 are something that Indiegogo is better on

There is also no marketing or any kind of promotion mechanism. You are still on your own. There are many projects I did not know about that I thought was interesting. Ultimately Kickstarter is no guarantee of success, and at least as of summer of last year, half the projects failed.

However in the case of animesols, even though I'm a supporter, I think a core issue is with the very limited appeal of older shows in general. So I don't know if it would help much moving to Kickstarter (or Indiegogo). They may be paying 5% + 3% more for nothing. And the demographics are not like art collectors. TV shows also require longer funding commitment to finish the series.

And this is just with the partial funding of a release, dealing with authoring, packaging, translation, extras, etc. You are not dealing with funding the actual creation of a show. For that, look at Kick Heart (12 mins) and LWA2 (40 mins) for costs. I agree with Justin in that it's not a general model you can apply everywhere and is probably best for supplemental costs like blu-ray production, translation, and for OVAs, but only for titles popular enough, but not enough to be an easy sell for licensing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Purple: ADV probably didn't lose money on it, but I have a feeling Sailor Moon underperformed. The only time thus far that Toei has pulled anime from R1 licensors is when it did horribly. [For example One Piece, Bobobo and Slam Dunk.] So while demand was there for it, it was not as big as they expected it to be, and they most likely settled for a fire sale to offload the extra units.

doctor: Yeah, that person means the Fist tv show.

doomy: Other than New Fist, I haven't seen 'em, yet; but they look like the a retelling of arcs from the 80s show with a 2000s look, so I'm game. I'm a fan of Fist, but the 80s show was clearly made for kids and "safe" broadcast time-slots-thus, toned down from the manga.

config:
Quote:
That resulted in a big apologetic post in English and Japanese for the Japanese backers explaining how they could not send the blu-rays to Japan.

Though I guess they could get their gaijin penpal friends to buy 'em on their behalf. Makes you wonder why they didn't buy 'em when they were on sale in Japan, though.

Quote:
However in the case of animesols, even though I'm a supporter, I think a core issue is with the very limited appeal of older shows in general.

Exactly. That's why they got screwed on that Polymer poll. But all these companies have at least one or two more recent titles which have a chance. Clearly, that Black Jack tv show was boosted by it being made in the last decade.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
Eh, Sailor Moon is a very strange case. Kodansha and Toei simply didn't let anyone around the world renew the Sailor Moon license (for reasons still not totally clear). They didn't pull anything. It wasn't just ADV (who sub-licensed the show from DiC), it wasn't even just them, Pioneer/Geneon, and Tokyopop. It was every Sailor Moon-licensee in the world, other than the ones in Japan. It was a big deal when companies in other countries began rescuing the series in 2010.

Also, keep in mind the ADV DVDs weren't in print for very long. They sub-licensed the home video rights directly from DiC around 2002. They released the dub-only VHS tapes and (later) DVDs, but by the time they could release the uncut version, DiC's contract was expiring, and they could not renew, so ADV quickly released those episodes in two quick sub-only boxsets before their license ran out. The second boxset was only in print for a few months, which is why it's especially hard to find. Both apparently sold well enough considering the circumstances. Geneon's license to Seasons 3-4 expired a couple years later (before their collapse) around the same time as Tokyopop's license to the manga. Both Geneon and Tokyopop showed interest in rescuing the series should it ever become possible (someone from Geneon confirmed a lockdown on all Sailor Moon licenses).

At this point, I'm pretty sure Cinedigm (AKA NEW VIDEO) will release Sailor Moon, given their license to many Toei titles (Digimon, Zatch Bell, Saint Seiya, Mononoke). They would probably do a couple dub-only boxsets for Seasons 1-2, while 3-4 might be bilingual. Since they're releasing Saint Seiya sub-only, there's a possibility of them releasing subtitled versions of Seasons 1-2 & 5.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Purple: I see. But Cinedigm has to probably have deep pockets to get Sailor Moon.
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Don't forget that Funimation is on record trying rather hard to get the rights to Sailor Moon. It's just not happening at this time, on Japanese side of things. But, if they thought they were going to lose money, would they have bothered even to try? Sailor Moon is a holy grail for any older fan. I personally would buy it in a heartbeat if it was available.

The reason why it was pulled over is because it was too mutilated in the process of "Westernization". And now there is a distrust from their side even if an American company promises a faithful translation, without changing characterization or plot.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
However in the case of animesols, even though I'm a supporter, I think a core issue is with the very limited appeal of older shows in general.

This is an important point ... they are trying to crowdfund series with a low ceiling as far as potential supporters, many of whom need to see the series to become actual supporters.

Add in the legal hurdles with the series owners only granting North American rights, because the contracting legal costs of a wider regional rights vetting would be likely to increase the pledging target faster than it increases potential funding base, and the conclusion that everything would be totally different on Kickstarter rests on shaky grounds.

But they have finished one series, and are on a better track for finishing the second (Dear Brother Set 3 is 49% funded with over 40 days to go).

I do think that adjusting the pledge window versus streaming window would be useful. Having a pledge target posted and "Pledging opens up on {date}" for two to four weeks at the beginning of streaming a set seems likely to be effective.

I also think there should be "streaming pledges", at $5 and $20 levels, which are paid out immediately to support the streaming/translating cost, and which "spill over" from one set to following sets in a series if not required for the target to make its target. That would give a multi-set series better inertia, with any spillover of streaming pledges showing up against the target as soon as the pledge target is opened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9